Randomville

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
GigaBook.com
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: Thoughts on Drinking  (Read 2004 times)

cuddlyevil

• sleepy, so sleepy
  • City Elder
Thoughts on Drinking
« Reply #15 on: October 13, 2006, 02:49:56 PM »

Quote from: "rva"
And then you decide that you'll take a night off.  It's at that point you realize you no longer have any idea what to do with yourself after 9:00.  And you can't fall asleep because it feels weird.

Then you have a kid, and it still feels kinda weird to be in bed at 9 but you're too tired to care.
"Because I'm cuddly b*tch. Deal with it." ~ Marshall Erikson

Buzzstein

• I have no title
  • City Elder
Thoughts on Drinking
« Reply #16 on: October 13, 2006, 03:48:46 PM »

Quote from: "Dan"
Quote from: "Nate"
do you think your recent breakup might be contributing to the mood swings somewhat?

Meh. Yeah, probably.  No, definitely.  But it's not like the drinking I've been doing has been drunking.  I don't think I've been drunk once in the past ten days - truly buzzed only once or maybe twice.  So yeah, it's just interesting to me the effects that one or two drinks has been having on my body and the crappy way that it feels this morning - and every morning.

Tonight there's a happy hour at the office so I'll have a beer then. Tomorrow I'm scheduled to get plastered with a friend I haven't seen in years, so that's fun.  Sunday is a wedding...I might try to avoid the drink then because I'll have a 3.5 hour train ride immediately afterward, but who really knows.  So I'm almost guaranteed to run my streak to 12 and possibly 13.  I guess I'm proud.  But I'm also thinking that this needs to stop, and I find myself looking forward to the time when I don't have any social pressures to drink.

I suppose it's a good problem to have.

Oh I thought you were talking about getting drunk 10 days in a row.  Well that sounds like normal (and reasonable) alcohol intake to me if it's only one or two per day.  But if it's making you feel like crap may be you should ease off.  I have at least one drink (sometimes two) of whiskey and Coke everyday (I try to have two on Fridays, Saturdays, and Sundays).  I kind of wonder about my own dependence to the drug sometimes.  I get grumpy if I don't get at least one drink in the evening.  Man, I'm making myself look like I have a problem.... lol.  I rarely get drunk though.
How the hell do I get back to Cincinnati??...Again!

Juliana

• City Elder
Thoughts on Drinking
« Reply #17 on: October 13, 2006, 04:24:42 PM »

You don't ahve to get drunk every night to have a problem with alcohol
We all agree that genocide, avalanches, and Family Circus are not funny
-Ed Helms

pathogen

• not now james...
  • City Elder
Thoughts on Drinking
« Reply #18 on: October 13, 2006, 04:53:23 PM »

my problem with alcohol is that i can't find a recycling bin large enough for all of the empty bottles and cans.

Jonathan

• Future Boy
  • City Elder
Thoughts on Drinking
« Reply #19 on: October 13, 2006, 05:20:43 PM »

No kidding. We have one wheelie-bin recycling thing for the whole apartment complex. As you might imagine, it fills up quickly, so if we drive by and notice that it's empty (or at the very least the lid can fit all the way down), we rush over and deposit our empties.

One time, I was doing this, and some lady walked by. I had what was probably a month's worth of recycling, and the lady, trying (and failing miserably) to make some sort of feeble joke, said "Oh, I guess somebody had a party last night." I wanted to respond to the unfunny twat with "No, these are all my empties from last night. I'm just a raging alcoholic." I should have done it. I would have loved to see the look on her face.
"I believe that in the long view of history, the British Empire will be remembered only for two things. The game of football, and the expression 'fuck off.'" - Sir Richard Turnbull

Dan

• Tetris Master
  • City Elder
Thoughts on Drinking
« Reply #20 on: October 13, 2006, 05:32:13 PM »

Well, after listening to you guys and listening to my body, I skipped the alcohol version of the happy hour.  Streak dead.  :(  But maybe I'll feel a little better soon.

And sorry buzz, but my first streak got up to seven days of feeling pretty buzzed and I couldn't go anymore.  I was too wrecked. So this time I tried just doing the one or two method, or more if that's what it happened to be.  I made it a little farther, but still couldn't do it.

I plan to get drunken tomorrow, and then maybe no more booze of any kind until next Friday.  We'll see how that works out.

slow-dog

• City Elder
    • http://www.slow-dog.com/
Thoughts on Drinking
« Reply #21 on: October 13, 2006, 05:40:55 PM »

My longest consecutive days drinking streak was when I travelled around Europe.  I was the Cal Ripken of drinking that year.  

On the flip side, in preparation for my half-marathon, I teetotalled the entire month of July (well, after July 4th) this year.

snakelady

• Infrequent Visitor
  • City Elder
Thoughts on Drinking
« Reply #22 on: October 13, 2006, 08:06:25 PM »

I drink nearly everyday and don't think a thing of it.  
I don't think about the days that I don't drink.  
I've never counted consecutive days.  

That said, I disagree with those who are implying that daily drinking indicates a problem.  I drank like this before getting pregnant, stopped cold turkey for a few years while pregnant and nursing and then picked right up where I left off.  It is not a problem - except for the aforementioned over-flowing recycling bin.
The snake stood up for evil in the Garden.  - Robert Frost

Dan

• Tetris Master
  • City Elder
Thoughts on Drinking
« Reply #23 on: October 13, 2006, 08:27:29 PM »

I'm not trying to imply it is a problem for others.  But it IS a problem for me.  My internal organs don't seem to be able to handle it.  

That's it, really...

rva

Thoughts on Drinking
« Reply #24 on: October 13, 2006, 09:06:56 PM »

I don't think anyone was saying that drinking everyday is a problem.  I think 2/3 of America drinks pretty much everyday.  A glass of wine after dinner or a cold one after work, that sort of thing.

It's just how you do it.  It used to be I was frustrated by how little time I had to do stuff.  And then one day it's 9:00 and I'm like "How can I make this day end?"  I'm not saying it's the alcohol that did it.  It was more like I used to play sports and then got hurt so I quit the teams I was on.  And I used to play in some bands and they broke up.  

In the normal course of things, you heal up from your injury and start playing again or you join a new band or you move on to something new and exciting.  But for whatever reason, I gradually replaced that with hanging around the house until 10:00 and then going to a bar.  After awhile, I really DIDN'T have anything to else to do.

I'm lazy that way.  It's much less of an emotional investment or whatever to go the local pub and drink than try to organize and schedule activities.  The thing was, I actually didn't drink much.  If you go out and get trashed on a weekend, at least it's kind of an adventure with your friends.  I just went down and hung out with the regulars.  

But it did take me a few months to get my activities going again, and once I did I thought "Man, I pissed away 2 years and probably a thousand dollars because I had nothing better to do."  Plus I was getting kinda fat and unhealthy, which just fed my lethargy and laziness.  It's not that the drinking was standing in the way of my goals, it was that I no longer had any goals at all.

In that respect it was a problem.  Not a "you're going to lose your job and die in two years" problem, but more of a lifestyle issue.  Like watching too much tv or playing too many video games.

Bluelupis

• Two spoonfuls in every bowl
  • City Elder
Thoughts on Drinking
« Reply #25 on: October 15, 2006, 09:44:20 PM »

I'm a drunk.  Simple as that.  I quit philosphizin the reasons and the effects long ago.  It's not the drink that pisses me off it's the fucking cigarettes I'm killin myself with when I drink.  The god damned whistling sound that has every dog in the neighborhood running when I wake up.  

My two cents.  Ching ching.
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up