Randomville

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
GigaBook.com
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5   Go Down

Author Topic: Server issues  (Read 4414 times)

Bronzetree

• Punching Bag
  • City Elder
Server issues
« Reply #30 on: October 09, 2006, 07:40:09 PM »

Yes. I'm working on that myself with some articles, just in case.

I stopped saving new stories to my hard drive - including my own - because it was starting to take up a ton of room. From now on, I'll be saving everything and backing them up on discs monthly.

Cockney Rebel

• I don't have an accent. You do.
  • Global Moderator
  • City Elder
  • Art is impossible to define. Shitty art is not.
Server issues
« Reply #31 on: October 09, 2006, 10:43:14 PM »

I hope we get our shit back. I hate the fact that all the torturethon laughs may have disappeared into the ether somewhere. Trixi's was hysterical. I think it was the "clap clap, stomp, stomp, stomp" thing?

Plus, I will never remember what films I have seen or CDs I have bought without the full "50 for 2006" threads!

Good luck with the rebuild W
Opulence. I has it.

Ella Minnow Pea

• Numbers Guru
  • Administrator
  • City Elder
  • Reference Desk
Server issues
« Reply #32 on: October 09, 2006, 11:05:55 PM »

I just grabbed the last pages of the 50 for 2006 (and 17) from my browser cache, in case we need them, too.
also known as rcc94

Nate

• Kevin Durant's baby mama.
  • City Elder
  • Best Album Never Made.
    • Randomville
Server issues
« Reply #33 on: October 10, 2006, 12:03:11 AM »

Score!  You guys rule.
Each day you have a choice - hilarity or insanity.

Bronzetree

• Punching Bag
  • City Elder
Server issues
« Reply #34 on: October 10, 2006, 10:02:12 AM »

If you check the webzine, you'll see that we've been restored up through 10/4. Not sure how the hostbaby folks did it, as we only had a backup through 9/21, but they did it, which is what counts. I don't think they can do anything about the message boards, unfortunately. :(

We'll have to see if Ella's saves can be reposted somehow.

JohnnyRoyale

• Town Drunk
  • City Elder
Server issues
« Reply #35 on: October 10, 2006, 10:19:29 AM »

Phew!
"If you're going to get a hooker, at least  get one a little older. They have more tricks." ~Advice from Mad Dog, my grandmother

rva

Server issues
« Reply #36 on: October 10, 2006, 10:29:48 AM »

Okay, here's the status and where we go from here:

The Hostbaby folks were able to partially restore the messageboard database.  And by "partially" I mean we have maybe an extra 200 posts since August 19, including none of the torturethon stuff.  

They put that on a separate set of tables and separate working messageboard, which I don't think we'll use.  The backup couldn't be fully restored so while there is some extra content, some usernames and thread topics have been lost.  

What I'm going to do is comb through that other set of tables and try to merge the data into this one.  It's going to take me awhile to do this, and frankly I may just do it for a few threads because it's a lot of work.  If we'd had the torturethon stuff, it would have been different.  Anyway, those extra posts should be restored sometime in the next couple weeks just in time for them not to be relevant anymore.

So we're just going to go ahead and roll with what we have on the boards for now.  Everyone can go ahead and post as usual; we won't be overwriting anything.  I'll set up another torturethon folder.
Oh, and it looks like the Art forum and subforums were preserved so we'll have those up in the next day or so avec content.

There's really nothing anyone can do about this.  The data is just gone and Hostbaby can't get it back.  If we're lucky, they may at some point be able to restore their dead drive, or at least rescue the data off of it.  But at this point they're still in crisis managament and trying to get everyone restored.

Also, the user table was wiped out so anyone who registered after August 19 is going to have to re-register.

whigsgeek

• protector of small children and bunny rabbits
  • City Elder
  • Yes, it is I ...
Server issues
« Reply #37 on: October 10, 2006, 10:34:47 AM »

Thanks for all of the time and work you've put into this, W.  =D>
I gather speed from you fucking with me.

Bronzetree

• Punching Bag
  • City Elder
Server issues
« Reply #38 on: October 10, 2006, 10:37:29 AM »

Yeah, W, thanks a ton, man. I don't know how to thank you enough.

rva

Server issues
« Reply #39 on: October 10, 2006, 10:40:11 AM »

I forgot.  Yeah, everyone check your personal caches (or google cache if you know how) and send me what you have from the torturethon.  wpai-at-randomville.com

Kwyjibo

• Bringing Grumpy Back
  • City Elder
Server issues
« Reply #40 on: October 10, 2006, 10:55:13 AM »

I have no idea how to go about that, but if you tell me I'll gladly do it.
Baby, check this out, I've got something to say.  Man, it's so loud in here.

Ella Minnow Pea

• Numbers Guru
  • Administrator
  • City Elder
  • Reference Desk
Server issues
« Reply #41 on: October 10, 2006, 11:04:37 AM »

What I did was switch to "Work Offline". I then opened up the history window and clicked on each of the randomville pages until I found one that was still in the cache - and therefore displayed. I did a save (complete web page) to my hard drive.
also known as rcc94

rva

Server issues
« Reply #42 on: October 10, 2006, 11:09:30 AM »

Another thing you can try is just do a google search for something like "randomville If I had 100000 torturethon" or something.  Hostbaby has actually blocked google from crawling our pages temporarily so that the cache will be preserved.

Bronzetree

• Punching Bag
  • City Elder
Server issues
« Reply #43 on: October 10, 2006, 11:33:47 AM »

I nabbed a bunch of articles from Google's cache, but couldn't get any threads or torturethon stuff. Sounds like ella might have much of that, though. How do we go about reposting it?

rva

Server issues
« Reply #44 on: October 10, 2006, 11:43:33 AM »

Just send me the pages.  I'll have to restore them post by post.  Like if you hover over the "posted" icon it has a link that ends with 90930.  So I know that's message 90930.  Then if I hover over your user id, there's a link that ends in 12.  So I know you're user 12.

So yeah, I go to the database and post the content in the content field, the user_id in the user_id field, etc.  And then hope it does some updating of the related tables on it's own (eg. postcount), otherwise I go to those tables and update them by hand.

I might be able to write a clever script that scrapes the info we need off the page and creates a SQL statement from it, but the amount of time it'd take for me to write that probably equals the amount of time it takes just to do it the hard way.  So basically, it's pretty much not going to be worth the effort except for the toturethon threads.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5   Go Up