Randomville

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
GigaBook.com
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Small aircraft hits a hire rise apartment building in NYC  (Read 718 times)

cuddlyevil

• sleepy, so sleepy
  • City Elder
"Because I'm cuddly b*tch. Deal with it." ~ Marshall Erikson

foolsgold

Small aircraft hits a hire rise apartment building in NYC
« Reply #1 on: October 11, 2006, 04:57:24 PM »

I just read that Corey Lidle was killed in that crash: http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=2621860

NEW YORK -- A small plane piloted by New York Yankees pitcher Cory Lidle crashed into a 50-story condominium tower Wednesday on Manhattan's Upper East Side, raining flaming debris onto the sidewalks below and rattling New Yorkers' nerves five years after the Sept. 11 attack.

Lidle died in the crash.

The twin-engine plane came through a hazy, cloudy sky and hit the 20th floor of The Belaire -- a red-brick tower overlooking the East River, about five miles from the World Trade Center -- with a loud bang, touching off a raging fire that cast a pillar of black smoke over the city and sent flames shooting from four windows on two adjoining floors.

slow-dog

• City Elder
    • http://www.slow-dog.com/
« Reply #2 on: October 11, 2006, 05:32:47 PM »

That is weird.  I don't know what else to say.

Jonathan

• Future Boy
  • City Elder
« Reply #3 on: October 11, 2006, 05:46:11 PM »

It is weird.

Apparently, he hasn't been a pilot for very long (75 flight hours) and just got his licence and bought the plane this summer. He was with his instructor, they took off from Teterboro airport (the closest private airfield to Manhattan), went down the Jersey side of the Hudson, around the Statue of Liberty, and up the East River when the plane lost contact around the 59th Street Bridge.

They think it was mechanical issues, especially since it hit the north side of the building when he was flying up the East River from the south.

Sad.
"I believe that in the long view of history, the British Empire will be remembered only for two things. The game of football, and the expression 'fuck off.'" - Sir Richard Turnbull

Dan

• Tetris Master
  • City Elder
« Reply #4 on: October 12, 2006, 12:14:52 PM »

All over the news yesterday.  Terrible accident.  Compounded by the fears of New Yorkers and buildings and planes.  Compounded even more by the public-ness of the fact that it was Lidle.

Very sad, but very much EVERYWHERE.  I'm not complaining, but just wondering about the level of hysteria/coverage if you changed one or two of the variables.

Jonathan

• Future Boy
  • City Elder
« Reply #5 on: October 12, 2006, 02:58:49 PM »

I think that a plane hitting a building in New York would have gotten the same amount of coverage yesterday. The fact that it was a plane piloted by Cory Lidle just meant that it was all over ESPN, too.
"I believe that in the long view of history, the British Empire will be remembered only for two things. The game of football, and the expression 'fuck off.'" - Sir Richard Turnbull
Pages: [1]   Go Up