Randomville

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
GigaBook.com
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5]   Go Down

Author Topic: Server issues  (Read 4393 times)

Dan

• Tetris Master
  • City Elder
Server issues
« Reply #60 on: October 12, 2006, 12:08:27 PM »

Awesome work.  
FWIW: I have not logged onto r'ville from my home computer since Friday night...thus I could try to do something useful tonight through the cache's and stuff.  Let me know what you'd like me to look for.... and remember that this is something I"ve never done before, so feel free to treat me like I'm dumb.  I mean...other than the normal dumbness.

Ella Minnow Pea

• Numbers Guru
  • Administrator
  • City Elder
  • Reference Desk
Server issues
« Reply #61 on: October 12, 2006, 12:33:59 PM »

I didn't get Butter or CR's torturethon threads, so that could be something you check. Once starting your browser, immediately select Work Offline. Open up the History panel (under View -> Explorer Bar in IE and under Go in Firefox). If you find a Randomville page that has been saved in your cache, do a save and make sure you select web page complete. Be sure you don't go back online until you've saved everything.

Once I found all I had, I created a zip file with the pages and corresponding directories to send to rva. He took it from there.
also known as rcc94

clemsonfan

• RN
  • City Elder
Server issues
« Reply #62 on: October 12, 2006, 12:48:12 PM »

I have pages 3 & 4 of Butter's torturethon saved now. I'll see what else I can retrieve.
Well.......

Dan

• Tetris Master
  • City Elder
Server issues
« Reply #63 on: October 12, 2006, 12:48:48 PM »

Thanks. Yeah, I'm on Firefox. I'll look tonight...late tonight...or tomorrow. But I won't go to rville on that computer until I've looked through.  If anyone else wants me to look for something, just let me know.

clemsonfan

• RN
  • City Elder
Server issues
« Reply #64 on: October 12, 2006, 12:58:27 PM »

Ok, it looks like I have some of Butter's and pretty much all of CR's torturethon saved and also the signups thread. Now what should I do?
Well.......

Buzzstein

• I have no title
  • City Elder
Server issues
« Reply #65 on: October 12, 2006, 05:07:52 PM »

OK I haven't cleared my history in forever so I'll see what I have.
How the hell do I get back to Cincinnati??...Again!

Buzzstein

• I have no title
  • City Elder
Server issues
« Reply #66 on: October 12, 2006, 07:22:03 PM »

OK, I don't think this is working.  Should it display the cached web page in my browser when I click on it?  All I get is a gray page saying "Firefox is currently in off-line mode and can't browse the Web."  Also, when I open a page I saved it doesn't display properly either.
How the hell do I get back to Cincinnati??...Again!

sg7

• Tourist
    • http://sadgirlseven.blogspot.com
Server issues
« Reply #67 on: October 12, 2006, 07:23:42 PM »

Quote from: "rva"
Quote from: "sg7"
that really sucks! i'm sorry you guys have to go through such annoyances to get things working again. and i'm sad that i'm back to being a tourist, but oh well.

Everyone's post counts are a bit off now.  Obviously the lost posts won't count, but neither will the ones that were restored.  Sorry.  :(

But I did set you back to "summer resident" status.

yeah, i know it affects everyone, which sucks. all those lost posts! :(

thank you so much for working on the issues and for setting me back! you are the awesome!!!

Dan

• Tetris Master
  • City Elder
Server issues
« Reply #68 on: October 12, 2006, 09:47:46 PM »

unfortunately, I spent a solid fifteen minutes looking through my firefox and couldn't find anything that looked like a website saved in the cache. Maybe I have a setting set up to not do that.  It made me sad, but alas, I couldnt' figure it out.
Sorry...

Ella Minnow Pea

• Numbers Guru
  • Administrator
  • City Elder
  • Reference Desk
Server issues
« Reply #69 on: October 12, 2006, 11:50:04 PM »

Quote from: "Buzzstein"
OK, I don't think this is working.  Should it display the cached web page in my browser when I click on it?  All I get is a gray page saying "Firefox is currently in off-line mode and can't browse the Web."  Also, when I open a page I saved it doesn't display properly either.

The gray page means the file has been deleted from your cache. Mine was set to only keep 50 MB, so I didn't have many pages left. Luckily, Randomville was one of the last places I had visited on my laptop.
also known as rcc94

rva

Server issues
« Reply #70 on: October 13, 2006, 12:34:31 AM »

I got some more stuff from clemsonfan today (so everyone thank her!).

I'm still sorting through it, but we did get a lot of missing pages from CR's torment.
There's also some stuff from butter's endeavors, though not all of it.  All in all, I'd say the torturethon forum is maybe 85-90% recovered.

whigsgeek

• protector of small children and bunny rabbits
  • City Elder
  • Yes, it is I ...
Server issues
« Reply #71 on: October 13, 2006, 10:26:45 AM »

Thanks, CF, and everyone else who has been able to help us piece the content back together!
I gather speed from you fucking with me.

clemsonfan

• RN
  • City Elder
Server issues
« Reply #72 on: October 13, 2006, 10:59:14 AM »

Not a problem!
Well.......

Bronzetree

• Punching Bag
  • City Elder
Server issues
« Reply #73 on: October 13, 2006, 11:07:40 AM »

Quote from: "Dan"
unfortunately, I spent a solid fifteen minutes looking through my firefox and couldn't find anything that looked like a website saved in the cache. Maybe I have a setting set up to not do that.  It made me sad, but alas, I couldnt' figure it out.
Sorry...

Yeah, I've got Firefox set to delete everything upon exit but the cookies I've chosen to accept. Glad a few people aren't nearly as paranoid as I, or we wouldn't have gotten back what we did.

Thanks to everyone who spent time on this for us. MUCH appreciated.
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5]   Go Up