Randomville

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
GigaBook.com
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 2 3 [4]   Go Down

Author Topic: WOXY.COM RETURNS  (Read 4200 times)

rva

WOXY.COM RETURNS
« Reply #45 on: October 12, 2006, 12:26:19 PM »

Does anyone here have access to the lala record store?  I was just wondering how cheap they really are.  Someone was saying $7.99 which I don't think is "at cost" but rather "at a huge loss."

You figure indie labels, or places liked CD BABY (or the band themselves at a show) typically charge $9-12 and there's no middleman.

Ella Minnow Pea

• Numbers Guru
  • Administrator
  • City Elder
  • Reference Desk
WOXY.COM RETURNS
« Reply #46 on: October 12, 2006, 12:46:10 PM »

Depends on the release. New releases are ranging from $8.39 for TV on the Radio to $12.49 for Stereolab. Older releases may be a bit less. For example, I could get Shabooh Shoobah by INXS for $6.59. So it's the wholesale prices.

Someone from la la has asked to be e-mailed if you can't access the streams, but can access other streams:

"Hi all,

I'm looking for a few volunteers who are willing to help me do some troubleshooting on these issues. If you have the time/willingness to help out, and you're at a location where you believe a firewall or Websense issue is preventing you from listening to the WOXY streams, please e-mail me at jim (AT) lala.com.

I'm especially interested in hearing from folks who can listen to other streams, but not WOXY, or folks who could listen to the WOXY streams prior to 9/15, but not now.

Thanks!

Jim Meehan
la la network guy"

Also, it says that the lounge acts are available as podcasts from the iTunes music store. I don't know if Tuesday's has been added yet.
also known as rcc94

thepsychicpoirot

WOXY.COM RETURNS
« Reply #47 on: October 12, 2006, 12:49:42 PM »

Here are a few of this week's new releases:

Yo La Tengo    $9.79
TV on the Radio   $8.39
Gnarls Barkley   $8.99
Audioslave      $12.39
DJ Shadow      $10.09
Black Keys      $11.09
Hold Steady   $9.29
Weird Al      $13.29
Sparklehorse   $11.39

rva

WOXY.COM RETURNS
« Reply #48 on: October 12, 2006, 01:23:04 PM »

Quote from: "Ella Minnow Pea"
Also, it says that the lounge acts are available as podcasts from the iTunes music store. I don't know if Tuesday's has been added yet.

Wow, someone has some major pull.

rva

WOXY.COM RETURNS
« Reply #49 on: October 12, 2006, 01:41:00 PM »

Those prices make a little more sense.  Cheap, but not silly-cheap.

I dunno, the whole lala concept freaks me out.  Ten years ago I would have been all over it like stink on shit.  And part of me is still like "Wow, that's cool."  But there's another part of me that's aghast that people treat their CD collections with so much disdain.  I feel like people should go to the store with something at stake.  

You've got $15.00.  You can buy ONE out of a list of five CD's you've written down.  You've only heard a couple cuts off each album.  You agonize for 45 minutes before you *finally* pick one.  And then you take it home and you're stuck with it, so you digest all the liner notes and you listen to it for two weeks.  And when the effort pays off it's like the greatest feeling in the world.

I'm a little uncomfortable with the idea of music being *this* disposable of a commidty.  I think I'm getting old.  These two parts of me are at war.  Unfortunately, I've mastered the "buy cheap, buy more concept" but not so much the "then you can toss it if you don't like it" bit.  Which explains why both my living room and hard drive space are maxed out.

Megs79

• Lunchlady Arms
  • City Elder
WOXY.COM RETURNS
« Reply #50 on: October 12, 2006, 01:52:56 PM »

I'm with you RVA.  I can't think of very many CDs in my collection that I could bear to part with.  Sure, there are probably some that I could do without, but I don't think anyone else would want them either.  A lot of my CDs have sentimental value... I don't trust technology enough to burn them to a hard drive and then scrap the CD. Also another reason I will never be a big spender on iTunes.  I like the physical CD, the album artwork, etc.

Jonathan

• Future Boy
  • City Elder
WOXY.COM RETURNS
« Reply #51 on: October 12, 2006, 02:55:59 PM »

Quote from: "rva"
Those prices make a little more sense.  Cheap, but not silly-cheap.

I dunno, the whole lala concept freaks me out.  Ten years ago I would have been all over it like stink on shit.  And part of me is still like "Wow, that's cool."  But there's another part of me that's aghast that people treat their CD collections with so much disdain.  I feel like people should go to the store with something at stake.  

You've got $15.00.  You can buy ONE out of a list of five CD's you've written down.  You've only heard a couple cuts off each album.  You agonize for 45 minutes before you *finally* pick one.  And then you take it home and you're stuck with it, so you digest all the liner notes and you listen to it for two weeks.  And when the effort pays off it's like the greatest feeling in the world.

I'm a little uncomfortable with the idea of music being *this* disposable of a commidty.  I think I'm getting old.  These two parts of me are at war.  Unfortunately, I've mastered the "buy cheap, buy more concept" but not so much the "then you can toss it if you don't like it" bit.  Which explains why both my living room and hard drive space are maxed out.

I agree with you. That's why I haven't signed up with Lala and probably won't. If I want a CD, I want the whole package. And if I buy a CD, like you said...I agonise over the decision and then I'm stuck with it. Even if I don't like it all that much, I have a hard time selling it back. I only really have made one big-time CD buy-back transaction, and that was when I sold my house last year and sold a bunch of CDs that I had been lugging around mostly since high school (and no, I'm not going to tell you what they were - I have 5th Amendment rights). And on at least two occasions since, I've been sorry I sold back a CD in that lot (or maybe it was the same CD, and I felt bad twice - I don't remember).

Plus, there's the other end of the transaction...what the heck am I supposed to do with the CDs that I receive? Put them in the jewel boxes belonging to the CDs I sent away?

I'm not keen on the exclusionary nature of the Lala store, but I totally understand why they do it as a "reward" for good customers. Besides, if I really want something available there, it's good to have a neighbor who does have access to the store. ;)
"I believe that in the long view of history, the British Empire will be remembered only for two things. The game of football, and the expression 'fuck off.'" - Sir Richard Turnbull

Buzzstein

• I have no title
  • City Elder
WOXY.COM RETURNS
« Reply #52 on: October 12, 2006, 04:55:16 PM »

I'm signed up over at Lala even though I'll probably never trade any CDs.  I'm definitely going to use the store though (I just sent Bill a blurb and it was activated for me).  For now Lala is mostly a CD trading web site but I have a feeling that's going to change a lot in the next year.  I see it evolving into a place where you can trade/buy/sell/download/share music anyway you want to (legally of course).  I really like the site and where it's probably going.
How the hell do I get back to Cincinnati??...Again!

Dan

• Tetris Master
  • City Elder
WOXY.COM RETURNS
« Reply #53 on: October 12, 2006, 05:14:38 PM »

I emailed Jim at Lala and he give me this link, which seems to have bypassed my problems.  Maybe it'll help you guys, too.

He said:
Try putting this URL directly into Windows Media Player and let me know what happens:

http://vpizza.org/woxyalt.m3u

dirk

• City Elder
WOXY.COM RETURNS
« Reply #54 on: October 12, 2006, 05:41:09 PM »

I'm of both minds when it comes to CDs.  There are certain cds/artists that I simply want to keep.  I won't be trading my Tori Amos or Ani Difranco collections ever.  But there are a lot of other cds that I wouldn't mind trading.  I guess there are certain cds/artists I am very attached to, but a lot of others are just music to me...
1+2+2+1
Gown removed carelessly. Head, less so. - Joss Whedon

Nate

• Kevin Durant's baby mama.
  • City Elder
  • Best Album Never Made.
    • Randomville
WOXY.COM RETURNS
« Reply #55 on: October 12, 2006, 07:00:58 PM »

The CDs I've gotten back from lala have been ones either a) I've bought before years ago, but sold so I could eat or b) stuff I totally forgot about and was happy to pick it up/try it out for $1.75.

I probably would never buy anything from lala's store, because I love going to my favorite record store here.  I'd prefer to give them my money, you know?
Each day you have a choice - hilarity or insanity.

sg7

• Tourist
    • http://sadgirlseven.blogspot.com
WOXY.COM RETURNS
« Reply #56 on: October 12, 2006, 07:20:09 PM »

as a former record store clerk, i can say that used CD sales have become, for a lot of independent stores, the cash cow. and honestly, i think it's pretty awesome when i find something used that i've been looking for, especially if it's out of print. it sucks for the artist, but at least they made the $.10 the first time around. and selling back or trading on lala or whatever means that some other lucky music fan has a shot at something you weren't so keen on. i think it's a win-win situation, at least for shops and music hounds.

i do agree that i prefer to have a physical disc in my hands with artwork and everything else.

i really haven't been sinking money into my cd collection and don't really have anything to trade, but lala sounds cool.

and yay for woxy coming back. i've been listening at work and at home a little bit and have actually managed to hear the same song twice. victory!
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]   Go Up