Randomville

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
GigaBook.com
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down

Author Topic: WTF Moment of the Day  (Read 3566 times)

Content Chick

WTF Moment of the Day
« Reply #15 on: October 18, 2006, 06:26:53 PM »

My WTF moment today:

We got the following email from a vendor in Houston:

"guess what i just saw.............................................................a wild paritot from new orleans, it flew into our window and laid there for a while and flew away it was very pretty it was green and royal blue it was very pretty"

Now this isn't somebody we have a rapport with. Just a vendor that we exchange business related emails with on occasion. And I'm pretty sure that parrots are not native to Louisiana or Texas. And why would she think it is from New Orleans anyway? Did it have Mardi Gras beads? But it was very pretty, apparently.

Buzzstein

• I have no title
  • City Elder
WTF Moment of the Day
« Reply #16 on: October 18, 2006, 08:23:51 PM »

they were high.
How the hell do I get back to Cincinnati??...Again!

sg7

• Tourist
    • http://sadgirlseven.blogspot.com
WTF Moment of the Day
« Reply #17 on: October 19, 2006, 06:45:58 PM »

this morning on the bus, a woman (who was mentally challenged, but whatever) started singing "grandma got run over by a reindeer" and some other woman joined in. they sang very loudly, then started clapping. the bus driver, who felt the need to converse with the first woman in the loudest voice i've ever heard a driver use, started drumming on the fare thingie. i couldn't drown out the sound of this unforgiveable hootenanny with my ipod. gah!

i've never been so happy to get off the bus in my life.

Jonathan

• Future Boy
  • City Elder
WTF Moment of the Day
« Reply #18 on: October 19, 2006, 10:39:46 PM »

It sounds like the very definition of a hootenanny.
"I believe that in the long view of history, the British Empire will be remembered only for two things. The game of football, and the expression 'fuck off.'" - Sir Richard Turnbull

sg7

• Tourist
WTF Moment of the Day
« Reply #19 on: October 19, 2006, 11:01:03 PM »

yeah, i almost started a'pickin' and a'grinnin.

Jonathan

• Future Boy
  • City Elder
WTF Moment of the Day
« Reply #20 on: October 19, 2006, 11:47:48 PM »

YEEEE-HAWWWWW!!!!
"I believe that in the long view of history, the British Empire will be remembered only for two things. The game of football, and the expression 'fuck off.'" - Sir Richard Turnbull

sg7

• Tourist
WTF Moment of the Day
« Reply #21 on: October 19, 2006, 11:50:37 PM »

maybe it's just me, but 10am is way, way too early for a hootenanny. i prefer to wait until it's dark outside and i've had a lot to drink.

Jonathan

• Future Boy
  • City Elder
WTF Moment of the Day
« Reply #22 on: October 19, 2006, 11:57:11 PM »

I prefer to wait until Never O'Clock, personally.

Poncho

• ARRR! Booty Pirate
  • City Elder
    • Fark
WTF Moment of the Day
« Reply #23 on: October 20, 2006, 07:37:26 AM »

I know this is a sidebar off the original topic but, we have the "Forced Volunteerism" here as well with the UW.

You don't have to donate, but if you don't you're boss gets a note every single day saying X number of your people haven't donated.  Unless the department has 100% participation your department doesn't get the prize, which admittedly is usually pretty nice.  Then you get an email a day (sometimes two a day) until you participate.  Thankfully, once you donate they stop the spamming, but you get an inbox full until you do it.

I'm not against charity... in fact... I donate to charities a few dozen times a year.  I just don't like being told I *HAVE* to and be hassled until I do.  At least they let you pick which charity under the UW umbrella gets it... but with some of the news stories I've read about their high overhead... it certainly doesn't please me to think of how small the fraction of my donated money is used for the intended group.
Your head will collapse and there's nothing in it and you'll ask yourself 'where is my mind'??  - "Where is my Mind?" Pixies

sg7

• Tourist
WTF Moment of the Day
« Reply #24 on: October 20, 2006, 09:20:03 AM »

Quote from: "Jonathan"
I prefer to wait until Never O'Clock, personally.

you make a lot of sense.   =D>

IPrayForTang

• On my way to a nut flush!
  • City Elder
WTF Moment of the Day
« Reply #25 on: October 20, 2006, 10:29:33 AM »

Quote from: "Poncho the Sane"
At least they let you pick which charity under the UW umbrella gets it...

Actually, that just determines who you'll get your thank you note from (if you get one at all).  Your donation goes into the books as a gift to UW, and UW hands out money at pre-determined percentages (or amounts...I forget which) to all of the charities they cover.  Your dollars may have just gone to Abortions 'R' Us or Bomb A Doctor, Inc. (whichever you're most against).

Jonathan

• Future Boy
  • City Elder
WTF Moment of the Day
« Reply #26 on: October 20, 2006, 12:19:19 PM »

Your dollars probably just went to line the pockets of a United Way exec.

You're probably just better off burning the money. Maybe some of the ashes will float over to the doorstep of a worthy charity.

Kwyjibo

• Bringing Grumpy Back
  • City Elder
WTF Moment of the Day
« Reply #27 on: October 20, 2006, 01:52:54 PM »

From what I've always heard UW is only required by law to use 14% of donations for charitable causes, the rest can, and do, go to "administration costs" ie. multi-million dollar salaries for execs.
Baby, check this out, I've got something to say.  Man, it's so loud in here.

Dan

• Tetris Master
  • City Elder
WTF Moment of the Day
« Reply #28 on: October 20, 2006, 02:01:48 PM »

I heard the industry standard for those situations was 60% goes to the charity, 40% is overhead.  AIDS Marathon told me that...

Kwyjibo

• Bringing Grumpy Back
  • City Elder
WTF Moment of the Day
« Reply #29 on: October 20, 2006, 02:12:28 PM »

Well, that's still a depressing set of numbers when you consider that you could give your money directly to the charities and they could use a reasonable amount for administration.  You're basically throwing away that 60% UW doesn't pass on.
Baby, check this out, I've got something to say.  Man, it's so loud in here.
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up