Randomville

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
GigaBook.com
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 13   Go Down

Author Topic: Butter's Music Massacre  (Read 18937 times)

Butter

• Suffering from early-onset douchiness
  • City Elder
Butter's Music Massacre
« on: October 18, 2006, 12:30:56 PM »

It's been fun collecting all of these MP3s over the past year and a half that I've been gathering them on this machine... but the time has come to pare them down.

My music folder is nearly 10 GB, and some of these have to go.  My computer total here only has a C drive of 34.1 GB, and there are less than 3 GB remaining, which has raised questions before... like "Hey, what happened to all your space?" to which I smile and shrug as a foreign maid would when you ask them to make sure to clean your blinds for the 20th time.

Sure, I could just back them all up onto CD's and that way I'd never have to think about many of these songs again, but that seems like a cop-out to me.  Plus, I don't like many of these songs.  They just sort of piggybacked their way on here along with otherwise respectable albums.

I also could do all this quietly and without fanfare, but I figured why not have some fun with it and watch some of you cringe as I decapitate your favorite songs from my list.  

It will be done thusly:

-I've loaded all 1924 songs into Windows Media Player.  These songs do not include CD's I have at home (although some of these songs are here from being ripped off those CD's).  

-I am going to listen to them in Title order.  I have scientifically determined that this is the best way to do it, so that I can listen to each song on its own merits, rather than mentally rating it the weakest off an album and lopping it without proper cause.

-Any that I determine do not make the cut will be rated as 1 star... at the end of the experiment, I will determine whether or not to delete the songs at that time, or give them one more go.... feedback from the audience may influence my decisions.

-I'll list each song as we go, and post comments as appropriate.  Feedback and audience participation is encouraged.

-The goal is to cut about 40% of the library altogether... though realistically, I think the 25% range is far more likely.

I like creating these little story type of posts, and now that Football Manager's career has died for me, and online poker at work is out due to time constraints, this is the idea I've come up with.  It's either this or another tournament, and I don't really want to do another effin' tourney.

Thanks to Austin Powers, and Juliana by extension, for my sub-header on the topic.

Butter

• City Elder
Butter's Music Massacre
« Reply #1 on: October 18, 2006, 12:33:07 PM »

We'll kick it off after my lunch break.

Dan

• Tetris Master
  • City Elder
Butter's Music Massacre
« Reply #2 on: October 18, 2006, 12:34:06 PM »

First track to go: Snooker Loopy.

Bronzetree

• Punching Bag
  • City Elder
Butter's Music Massacre
« Reply #3 on: October 18, 2006, 12:39:31 PM »

Man, I've been wanting to do something like this for a few years with just my CD collection, to weed out the weak stuff I'll never listen to again. I'd planned to listen to every CD in alphabetical order and dump them as I saw fit. But I'm a terrible procrastinator, so I doubt I'll ever get around to it.

Kudos to you for going on a song by song basis. I'm way behind the times in that I only maybe have a few discs from my collection saved onto my computer, so I could never do this the way you plan to.

Can't wait to see where this goes.

Juliana

• City Elder
Butter's Music Massacre
« Reply #4 on: October 18, 2006, 01:19:08 PM »

This is awesome!

I'm excited about this...um, for you!
We all agree that genocide, avalanches, and Family Circus are not funny
-Ed Helms

Jonathan

• Future Boy
  • City Elder
Butter's Music Massacre
« Reply #5 on: October 18, 2006, 01:34:25 PM »

*cough*Ripoff!*cough*
"I believe that in the long view of history, the British Empire will be remembered only for two things. The game of football, and the expression 'fuck off.'" - Sir Richard Turnbull

Nate

• Kevin Durant's baby mama.
  • City Elder
  • Best Album Never Made.
    • Randomville
Butter's Music Massacre
« Reply #6 on: October 18, 2006, 02:03:56 PM »

Quote from: "Jonathan"
*cough*Ripoff!*cough*

Bless you?  :p

Anyhow, I need to do this same thing at some point.
Each day you have a choice - hilarity or insanity.

Butter

• City Elder
Butter's Music Massacre
« Reply #7 on: October 18, 2006, 02:11:08 PM »

Ripoff of what, Mr. Smarty Pants?  I'll drive down there and bankrupt the Triangle Soccer Club so quick, you won't even have time to rack up a final play of Crazy Train.

Jonathan

• Future Boy
  • City Elder
Butter's Music Massacre
« Reply #8 on: October 18, 2006, 02:14:43 PM »

The Alan Parsons Project was a progressive rock group in the 1980s.

Ass.
"I believe that in the long view of history, the British Empire will be remembered only for two things. The game of football, and the expression 'fuck off.'" - Sir Richard Turnbull

Butter

• City Elder
Butter's Music Massacre
« Reply #9 on: October 18, 2006, 02:15:32 PM »

Never mind, I just now realized that Jonathan is quoting Austin Powers to me.  I haven't seen it in years and my mind is going.

slow-dog

• City Elder
    • http://www.slow-dog.com/
Butter's Music Massacre
« Reply #10 on: October 18, 2006, 02:20:35 PM »

I'm all for the experiment, but you know you can buy a 40G hard drive for $20?

Dan

• Tetris Master
  • City Elder
Butter's Music Massacre
« Reply #11 on: October 18, 2006, 02:21:35 PM »

Quote from: "Jonathan"
The Alan Parsons Project was a progressive rock group in the 1980s.

Allow myself to introduce...myself. My name is Richie Cunningham, and this is my wife, Oprah.

Butter

• City Elder
Butter's Music Massacre
« Reply #12 on: October 18, 2006, 02:27:55 PM »

Quote from: "slow-dog"
I'm all for the experiment, but you know you can buy a 40G hard drive for $20?

Some of these songs do not deserve to be saved on any hard drives anywhere, let alone mine.

And if you have a cheap DVD-RW deal to send my way, that'd be good too because mine just died recently.

Jonathan

• Future Boy
  • City Elder
Butter's Music Massacre
« Reply #13 on: October 18, 2006, 02:32:53 PM »

Quote from: "Butter"
Never mind, I just now realized that Jonathan is quoting Austin Powers to me.  I haven't seen it in years and my mind is going.

I was starting to worry about you.

At least I don't have to worry about Dan.

Butter

• City Elder
Butter's Music Massacre
« Reply #14 on: October 18, 2006, 02:37:33 PM »

Underline means the song has been selected for deletion.

First 10 songs:

1,000,000 – REM
2+2=5 – Radiohead
2nd Ave, 11 AM – Ted Leo and the Pharmacists
5 Years – Bjork
5/4 – Gorillaz
6 days – DJ Shadow
7 Chinese Bros. – REM
9-9 – REM
9-9 (live) – REM

10 AM Automatic – The Black Keys

Clearly, between 9-9 and 9-9 (live) we had our first candidates as I don't need both.  5/4 came close to being the first to get a thumbs down… but I was benevolent.   Ultimately, both versions of 9-9 got the axe, as I have the CD at home and REM has about 20 other early jangly songs that are better than this.  Listening to the live version just reinforced the song's mediocrity for me.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 13   Go Up