Randomville

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
GigaBook.com
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5   Go Down

Author Topic: The Dark Tower: The Gunslinger Born  (Read 11339 times)

Juliana

• City Elder
The Dark Tower: The Gunslinger Born
« on: February 16, 2007, 11:39:30 AM »

So I'm sitting here all psyched about this whole collection of comic books coming out, not because I like comics necessarily (I've never really read any), but because they're going to go into Roland's past.

I got the preview or intro or whaveter comic for V-Day, and I'm leafing through it, and I realize about 1 page in that I'm pretty sure that this is going to give away that Coda in the Final Dark Tower book that Stephen King warned us not to read, and I was the one dork in the world who took the advice.

I mean, I'm not 100% sure, but I think I'm a little more in the know.  I'm disapointed.  Highly disapointed to be exact, and I've found my enthusiasm for the comic series slightly diminished.

I haven't been able to get my grubby paws on the actual first book yet, but hopefully I'll be able to make it.  I don't get why places like Borders don't have it, since they carry other titles, but so far, they don't.

Anyway, there will be 7 initial books, mostly detailing what happens in Wizzards & Glass, 5 about Alain & Cuthbert, and then an additional 18 that take place focusing on Roland, that take place after Wizzards & Glass and THe Gunslinger.
We all agree that genocide, avalanches, and Family Circus are not funny
-Ed Helms

Doug

« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2007, 07:32:29 AM »

I went down to Mavericks Comics a week or so ago and they were sold out FAST.  So I started a file there specifically for that book.  I got my grubby paws on it last night, put the kids to bed, cleaned up, watched Lost and sat up 'til 11:30 reading it.  It's good.  I really like the character depictions...pretty close to what I had imagiined.  My only concern is how they are going to get from his childhood to Wizard & Glass in 7 issues.  I can't wait to find out though.

Juliana

• City Elder
« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2007, 08:13:48 AM »

Wizard & Glass was when they were pretty young though, 15-17ish, right?

Kwyj picked a copy up for me, but I haven't had a chance to look at it yet.
-Ed Helms

Doug

« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2007, 08:23:09 AM »

I guess I was thinking about the adult parts of Wizard & Glass.  If it's gonna' focus on his growth into manhood, then I can see it.  I'm a little dissapointed, because from everything I read, this series would fill in some of the blanks that were left in the books.  But so far, it reads like a it's directly out of the book.  I still like it though.  If anything, it's nice to see it visually and will be a good collector's item to go along with the set of books.

Kwyjibo

• Bringing Grumpy Back
  • City Elder
« Reply #4 on: February 22, 2007, 08:35:08 AM »

I thought the first seven issues were going to be a straight rehash from the books, then a bunch of issues of new material.
Baby, check this out, I've got something to say.  Man, it's so loud in here.

Doug

« Reply #5 on: March 07, 2007, 02:50:45 PM »

I'm picking up #2 tonight!

Nate

• Kevin Durant's baby mama.
  • City Elder
  • Best Album Never Made.
    • Randomville
« Reply #6 on: March 13, 2007, 12:44:16 AM »

Interesting interview with King aintitcool.com news did the other day.  Some highlights...

But the books [the Dark Tower series] themselves aren’t done. I was sayin’ this in the panel. I’d like to rewrite them. Whether or not I’ll actually get that chance I don’t know, but I’d like to because to me they’re a first draft.

QUINT: I talked a little bit earlier about being both terrified and excited when I hear one of your stories is optioned, but Dark Tower has always been so close to me that when the rumor hit that JJ Abrams [LOST] might be doing it, then you confirmed it on the panel this afternoon…

STEPHEN KING: Well, the only thing that I can confirm is that we’re talking about it because there’s nothing firm yet.

QUINT: Well, he doesn’t have it set up somewhere yet, but he has the option right?

STEPHEN KING: Well, he doesn’t have anything yet, but he will have eventually… if he wants it. I think he does.

QUINT: Do you think he’ll attack the series as a television series like LOST or…

STEPHEN KING: No. It oughta be movies. It’s gotta be big. I’d like to see it done (that way). I’m not going to close any doors because that’s not my way…

QUINT: What about a cable series, like an HBO or Showtime series?

STEPHEN KING: We’ve talked about it, but (Abrams and Damon Lindelof’s) impulse, too, is to go with the big screen. JJ has a deal with Paramount Pictures. I know that he’s talked with somebody at Paramount and said, “Yeah, it probably oughta be pictures.” But why close any doors?
Each day you have a choice - hilarity or insanity.

Nate

• Kevin Durant's baby mama.
  • City Elder
  • Best Album Never Made.
    • Randomville
« Reply #7 on: March 13, 2007, 12:45:29 AM »

I like how the Appendix in each book goes into more detail about the history, with the Prim, Arthur Eld, etc.
Each day you have a choice - hilarity or insanity.

Doug

« Reply #8 on: March 13, 2007, 07:52:34 AM »

Quote from: "Nate"
I like how the Appendix in each book goes into more detail about the history, with the Prim, Arthur Eld, etc.

I do too.  Really fills in some blanks.

Great news about Abrams having the option.  I'd love to see what he can do with it.

Juliana

• City Elder
Re: The Dark Tower: The Gunslinger Born
« Reply #9 on: July 21, 2008, 03:47:47 PM »

So...

Did anybody else actually keep up with these so far?

They just got done with what were, according to my original post, the 5 books dealing with Cuthbert and Alain (mmm, yeah, they turned out to be half A&C, half Roland, and some weird stuff with Shemie).

I've enjoyed the drawings and the backstory quite a bit.  This set was nice because it was completly new material.  According to the last comic, it'll start up again in the fall.

I need to brush up on the series as a whole though.  Some of this stuff, I think I remember, and some of it I just think I remember them aluding to.

I'm currently starting the actual book series over again.  I read (God I'm a nerd) the revised & expanded edition of The Gunslinger (the one that came out in 03-ish I guess), and to really dork it up right, I finished that and I'm now rereading the original paperback....you know, to compare the two.  I hope this to be the only time I go back to the original. 
-Ed Helms

Doug

« Reply #10 on: July 21, 2008, 10:34:16 PM »

I have a bunch waiting for me in my file.  I just need to scrape the money together.

I've been thinking about getting the whole series in audio form and listening to it om my way back and forth to work.  There's so much I forget about the earlier books and it would be neat to go through it again in a new medium.

You are definetely not a neerd though.  I've read the entire series over again every time a new book was announced so I'd be current.  It's really good stuff and that's all you need to say.

Buzzstein

• I have no title
  • City Elder
« Reply #11 on: July 23, 2008, 02:28:07 PM »

I don't think I'm going to bother reading any of the new Dark Tower material.  Every Stephen King novel/series I've read I've found to be anticlimactic. 
How the hell do I get back to Cincinnati??...Again!

Juliana

• City Elder
« Reply #12 on: July 23, 2008, 04:40:44 PM »

of every book period?
Really?
-Ed Helms

Buzzstein

• I have no title
  • City Elder
« Reply #13 on: July 25, 2008, 02:43:38 PM »

of every book period?
Really?

Well to be honest I've only read The Dark Tower series, The Stand, that one with the aliens and the mentally disabled dude, and something else I can't remember.  But I've always ended up a bit disappointed in the end.  Do you have any recommendations?  I may give him another chance.
How the hell do I get back to Cincinnati??...Again!

Kwyjibo

• Bringing Grumpy Back
  • City Elder
« Reply #14 on: July 28, 2008, 07:58:30 AM »

I can't imagine anybody being disappointed with The Stand.

My favorite SK novel is The Long Walk.  There's something so crazy about an entire book focusing on people just walking (even if it is to their death).
Baby, check this out, I've got something to say.  Man, it's so loud in here.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5   Go Up