Randomville

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
GigaBook.com
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5   Go Down

Author Topic: The Dark Tower: The Gunslinger Born  (Read 16266 times)

daemon

• Summer Resident
Re: The Dark Tower: The Gunslinger Born
« Reply #45 on: October 28, 2011, 08:25:38 AM »

Yeah, one is like the setup for the rest. 

Alright, well I finished it last night (the ending was very Horton Hears a Who-ish...maybe Jim Carrey should play the gunslinger), so I'll keep an open mind for The Drawing.  Unfortunately I have to get through American Vampire first (King's stab at a graphic novel) since it's due back tomorrow.

Juliana

• City Elder
« Reply #46 on: October 28, 2011, 05:09:38 PM »

Uck.  Now I'm almost completely not interested in a TV/Movie thing if this is true.

IndieWire is reporting that Gabe Toro has spoken with Brian Grazer and learned the Dark Tower films are very much still in the works. Their brief conversation yields news about a script rewrite that offers a more "satisfying" ending as well as a revised budget with 40-50 million trimmed out.  Clearly, both of these points should enable The Dark Tower property to be reconsidered for production by the major Hollywood studios.

No spoilers from me, but the ending is what makes the books great, IMO.  The fact they're going to 'Hollywood' it up instead of letting the story be told is almost a guarantee this is going to get royally fucked.  Boo-urns!

Nate, I swear at one point you told me to skip the ending like King advises...
We all agree that genocide, avalanches, and Family Circus are not funny
-Ed Helms

Nate

• Kevin Durant's baby mama.
  • City Elder
  • Best Album Never Made.
    • Randomville
« Reply #47 on: October 29, 2011, 01:05:57 AM »

No, I think I told you to read it.  It's not a "happy" ending per se, but I think it's the only way it could have ended reasonably.  And there is hope in it...
Each day you have a choice - hilarity or insanity.

Juliana

• City Elder
« Reply #48 on: October 29, 2011, 09:39:45 PM »

Maybe it was Doug?
I know my mom told me to skip the end.
-Ed Helms

Kwyjibo

• Bringing Grumpy Back
  • City Elder
« Reply #49 on: October 31, 2011, 07:39:19 AM »

I honestly don't see how you could read and be invested in all of that material and then skip the end.  Actually, the fact that she hasn't read the end is motivation for me to read them... I want to lord it over her that I know what happens.
Baby, check this out, I've got something to say.  Man, it's so loud in here.

Juliana

• City Elder
« Reply #50 on: October 31, 2011, 09:24:56 AM »

I honestly don't see how you could read and be invested in all of that material and then skip the end.  Actually, the fact that she hasn't read the end is motivation for me to read them... I want to lord it over her that I know what happens.

So in 2020, Kwyj will tell me the "coda"
-Ed Helms

Kwyjibo

• Bringing Grumpy Back
  • City Elder
« Reply #51 on: October 31, 2011, 10:05:19 AM »

So in 2020, Kwyj will tell me the "coda"

Man... 8 years, I don't know if I can do it.

rva

« Reply #52 on: October 31, 2011, 10:47:04 AM »

The ending and really the whole last three books in the series kind of sucked.  I don't know if that's what they mean by "satisfying" but the end definitely needs to be changed.

You can skip the last bit.  Not because it ruins the story, but because you already know what it's going to be.

Butter

• Suffering from early-onset douchiness
  • City Elder
« Reply #53 on: October 31, 2011, 11:03:48 AM »

Looking forward to the series and stuff, just so I don't have to read like 9 million page books.

Ella Minnow Pea

• Numbers Guru
  • Administrator
  • City Elder
  • Reference Desk
« Reply #54 on: May 19, 2012, 06:52:55 PM »

While I haven't read any Stephen King, I did see that he has written another installment for the book series. Does this post make sense for this thread?  ???
also known as rcc94

Buzzstein

• I have no title
  • City Elder
« Reply #55 on: May 19, 2012, 09:26:19 PM »

The ending and really the whole last three books in the series kind of sucked.  I don't know if that's what they mean by "satisfying" but the end definitely needs to be changed.

You can skip the last bit.  Not because it ruins the story, but because you already know what it's going to be.

Yeah, I agree. They did kind of suck. I've pretty much been disappointed with every single thing I've read by Stephen King. His stories always seem to end up being anticlimactic as hell. He's really not that good of a writer.
« Last Edit: May 19, 2012, 09:40:42 PM by Buzzstein »
How the hell do I get back to Cincinnati??...Again!

Kwyjibo

• Bringing Grumpy Back
  • City Elder
« Reply #56 on: May 21, 2012, 08:37:20 AM »

While I haven't read any Stephen King, I did see that he has written another installment for the book series. Does this post make sense for this thread?  ???

That one is labeled as "A Dark Tower Novel"... my guess is that it's in addition to the canon but not really affecting the overall arc of the main books.  I could probably find out for sure in a couple of clicks but I'm just too lazy.

By the way, I've read the first book and I still have 8 years according to Julie's prediction there.  I'm guessing I'll make it.

Nate

• City Elder
  • Best Album Never Made.
    • Randomville

Zafer Kaya

• City Elder
« Reply #58 on: August 22, 2012, 01:48:33 AM »

Yeah, I agree. They did kind of suck. I've pretty much been disappointed with every single thing I've read by Stephen King. His stories always seem to end up being anticlimactic as hell. He's really not that good of a writer.

This.  King has a vivid imagination, and I think his prose is actually very underrated, but none of that translates to screen.

He can't do the most fundamental thing for a novelist, which is resolve a plot.  So no one is going to invest tens if not hundreds of millions on a 6 hour movie that still skips half the books and turns into complete shit after 3 hours.  Or a 8 season show that jumps the shark so bad that by season 5 Stephen King is on it appearing as himself.

Nate

• City Elder
  • Best Album Never Made.
    • Randomville
« Reply #59 on: December 10, 2015, 12:53:18 PM »

Rumor is Idris Elba will now play Roland if/when this thing ever gets made into a movie.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5   Go Up