Randomville

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
GigaBook.com
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Martial Arts  (Read 1727 times)

clemsonfan

• RN
  • City Elder
Martial Arts
« on: February 21, 2007, 09:14:09 AM »

So has anyone taken any martial arts as a child? We are thinking about signing Ethan up but we don't know really where to begin. Does anyone have any advice/tips?
Well.......

Doug

Martial Arts
« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2007, 09:18:36 AM »

Talk to Michelle about this.  She's been doing research on it for Isaac and could have some good ideas.

Bronzetree

• Punching Bag
  • City Elder
Martial Arts
« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2007, 09:54:10 AM »

I took Tae Kwon Do for a couple years when I was in junior high. It's more about self defense than anything, but I got some discipline and exercise out of it.

watusi

Martial Arts
« Reply #3 on: February 21, 2007, 09:55:13 AM »

gonna get him started early on some hobo killin', eh?

Cockney Rebel

• I don't have an accent. You do.
  • Global Moderator
  • City Elder
  • Art is impossible to define. Shitty art is not.
Martial Arts
« Reply #4 on: February 21, 2007, 10:04:32 AM »

Quote from: "watusi"
gonna get him started early on some hobo killin', eh?

Yeah as Butter is getting older he's going to need assistance in pinning the hobos to the ground whilst the cleaver is swinging.
Opulence. I has it.

Doug

Martial Arts
« Reply #5 on: February 21, 2007, 10:14:17 AM »

Quote from: "Wherle"
I took Tae Kwon Do for a couple years when I was in junior high. It's more about self defense than anything, but I got some discipline and exercise out of it.

I think if you're getting into it for any other reason, then it's the wrong reason.

cuddlyevil

• sleepy, so sleepy
  • City Elder
Martial Arts
« Reply #6 on: February 21, 2007, 10:26:28 AM »

One of my neighbors put his daughter into tae kwon do or karate when she was 6 or 7 (he told me but I can't remember), she loves it and he loves it. We've been thinking about putting Elise into some form of martial arts when she's older so she can get some exercise and will know how to defend herself.
"Because I'm cuddly b*tch. Deal with it." ~ Marshall Erikson

Butter

• Suffering from early-onset douchiness
  • City Elder
Martial Arts
« Reply #7 on: February 21, 2007, 10:30:45 AM »

We're actually trying to figure out something aside from a traditional sport that will help Ethan improve his coordination.  He loves being in any kind of activities, so this seems like a natural.  Our only problem is, we don't want him to start karate-ing everything in sight.

Doug

Martial Arts
« Reply #8 on: February 21, 2007, 11:08:59 AM »

Yah, karate will probably teach my kid to be more forceful and accurate with his nut-punches, so I share your fear.

Kwyjibo

• Bringing Grumpy Back
  • City Elder
Martial Arts
« Reply #9 on: February 21, 2007, 11:46:07 AM »

If Ethan's past experience with group activities is any indicator you'll probaby catch him trying to convince the other participants not to hit him.

Sounds like this would be good for the kid, I know he's not the most graceful kid in the world.  I wish my folks had done something of this nature for me... I sure could have used the exercise, coordination and the means to fight back when provoked which is something I never got good at.
Baby, check this out, I've got something to say.  Man, it's so loud in here.

rva

Martial Arts
« Reply #10 on: February 21, 2007, 02:40:20 PM »

Honestly, if my sole or major purpose was to teach my kid some coordination I don't think I would do martial arts;  or at least I'd be really, really careful about finding a place.

It is good for coordination, and flexibility, and core muscle strength and all that.  But they are also trying to teach self-confidence and discipline, and do you really want your kid learning military-style discipline from someone who likely has no training in children education but just happens to be really good at martial arts-- largely because they thrive under military-style discipline themselves?

When you take your kid to play soccer, I think the focus is mostly on run around and have fun.  And if you develop some confidence and discipline out of it, that's a bonus.   I think at a lot of martial arts places, it's the opposite.  They don't care if you never get your black belt, but they want you to leave
with a certain set of life lessons.

If your kid wants his next belt, your kid takes an exam.  If your kid screws up, he drops and gives ten or twenty.  Admittedly the exams aren't hard and everyone passes the first few.  And no one's going to scream your kid if he can only do five pushups or he does them wrong.  But if he does ten half-assed pushups while laughing, he'll get ten more.  Until he shows that he's taking it somewhat seriously.

I don't want to make it sound all Kobra Kai-esque.  To a large extent, my instructors were pretty nice people who weren't into making kids cry but they only teach one way.  Partly because they have no training and that's how they are built, and partly because that method of teaching and learning is supposed to be part of the deal.

Of course, you can always pull him out if he doesn't like it.  I doubt a few weeks is going to do lasting damage to the kid's psyche or anything.  But I definitely wouldn't sign up for a six month plan and I'd also want to go along and really watch how he responds during classes and also check out the more advanced classes.  Because it might be the kind of thing where he digs it at first, and then really hates it when it gets more serious and then you're stuck.

clemsonfan

• RN
  • City Elder
Martial Arts
« Reply #11 on: February 21, 2007, 02:45:59 PM »

Ok, this is the perfect place to post this:

Well.......

Jonathan

• Future Boy
  • City Elder
Martial Arts
« Reply #12 on: February 24, 2007, 10:05:51 PM »

Quote from: "rva"
Honestly, if my sole or major purpose was to teach my kid some coordination I don't think I would do martial arts;  or at least I'd be really, really careful about finding a place.

It is good for coordination, and flexibility, and core muscle strength and all that.  But they are also trying to teach self-confidence and discipline, and do you really want your kid learning military-style discipline from someone who likely has no training in children education but just happens to be really good at martial arts-- largely because they thrive under military-style discipline themselves?

When you take your kid to play soccer, I think the focus is mostly on run around and have fun.  And if you develop some confidence and discipline out of it, that's a bonus.   I think at a lot of martial arts places, it's the opposite.  They don't care if you never get your black belt, but they want you to leave
with a certain set of life lessons.

If your kid wants his next belt, your kid takes an exam.  If your kid screws up, he drops and gives ten or twenty.  Admittedly the exams aren't hard and everyone passes the first few.  And no one's going to scream your kid if he can only do five pushups or he does them wrong.  But if he does ten half-assed pushups while laughing, he'll get ten more.  Until he shows that he's taking it somewhat seriously.

I don't want to make it sound all Kobra Kai-esque.  To a large extent, my instructors were pretty nice people who weren't into making kids cry but they only teach one way.  Partly because they have no training and that's how they are built, and partly because that method of teaching and learning is supposed to be part of the deal.

Of course, you can always pull him out if he doesn't like it.  I doubt a few weeks is going to do lasting damage to the kid's psyche or anything.  But I definitely wouldn't sign up for a six month plan and I'd also want to go along and really watch how he responds during classes and also check out the more advanced classes.  Because it might be the kind of thing where he digs it at first, and then really hates it when it gets more serious and then you're stuck.

That was always the impression that I've always had of martial arts classes as well. I actually dodged a bullet when I was about nine years old...my mom always threatened to sign me up for karate (the way parents use military school as a threat) because I would drive her crazy with irresponsibility. One day, she went from threats to telling me that it was a done deal. I was scared shitless, because I didn't want anything to do with the sadistic martial arts instructors, or having to bow to anybody or shit like that. (Even at age nine, I wasn't going to bow to anyone because I had no desire to display submissiveness to anyone. If that doesn't demonstrate self-confidence, I don't know what does.)

Thankfully, she never did follow through with her threat. Which, given the problems I have with authority, is probably just as well. I would have hated it from the off and just been pissed at my mom. There's no way I'd ever make my kids go within 100 yards of a martial arts class. If they came to me and said they wanted to try it, that'd be a different thing. But I doubt they will, as they'll be spending all their time on the soccer pitch. ;)
"I believe that in the long view of history, the British Empire will be remembered only for two things. The game of football, and the expression 'fuck off.'" - Sir Richard Turnbull

Butter

• Suffering from early-onset douchiness
  • City Elder
Martial Arts
« Reply #13 on: February 26, 2007, 09:44:02 AM »

I think we might try to put him in a martial arts class at the rec center for a month... that way, if it isn't for him, we are only out a month's worth of fees.  And if he does like it, we can search around for a real place for him to go.

Poncho

• ARRR! Booty Pirate
  • City Elder
    • Fark
Martial Arts
« Reply #14 on: February 26, 2007, 10:29:19 AM »

Maybe it was just the people in Middletucky... but it sure seemed that the only the Dwight Schrute's of the world took karate.
Your head will collapse and there's nothing in it and you'll ask yourself 'where is my mind'??  - "Where is my Mind?" Pixies
Pages: [1]   Go Up