Randomville

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
GigaBook.com
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down

Author Topic: The Randomville Fantasy Music Draft II- The Revenge  (Read 4176 times)

clemsonfan

• RN
  • City Elder
The Randomville Fantasy Music Draft II- The Revenge
« on: May 22, 2007, 07:23:49 AM »

It's that time again! Posts have gotten a bit slow on these boards so it's time for a shot of adrenaline in the form of a game.

How to play:
If you want to play, post here.

The draft will be conducted via the forum, in this thread. When it's your turn to draft, you post, ideally with a brief note about the reason for your choice. If you won't be around, you PM me your picks in advance to keep things moving. You will agree to this, and then not do it. This will slow up the draft and annoy everyone. You won't care, you selfish prick.

The draft is a serpentine draft -- that the order reverses each round. Draft order will be determined before we start.

You will be drafting songs from popular music. This includes rock, pop, country, rap, etc. It does not include classical music, national anthems, ring tones, or anything else. Don't get tricky.

How to win:
The fun here comes more from the draft itself than from actually winning, but just in case it matters: Once the draft is done, we'll hold a vote and let Randomville choose the winner. The winner will probably be a big controversy. That's just the way these things go.

The rosters
You will draft a "team" of ten songs. The idea is to assemble the best possible roster, using your awesome knowledge of music as well as your crafty drafting skills.

Your team will consist of ten songs, at ten postitions that are yet to be determined. Please post suggestions for the different positions in this thread.

Obviously many songs will fit into multiple categories. Finding the right spot for each pick is part of the strategy. Once you've drafted a song, you can't re-assign it later.

Additional rules thrown in to make it needlessly complicated

- No artist can be used more than once. Once somebody has chosen a song from a singer/band, all their work is off the board.

We will be pretty general here. A singer and his/her band are the same artist (Bruce Springsteen is the same as Bruce Springsteen and the E-Street Band). A band is the same band even if some members change (Genesis with Peter Gabriel is the same as Genesis with Phil Collins). An artist can appear multiple times only if they were in separate and distinct bands (The Beatles and Wings are separate artists).

The only exception will be songs that are done by a collection of different artists. "We are the world" does not wipe half the artists from the 80s off the board.

When in doubt, check with me before you pick.

- No song can be chosen more than once, even if it was done by multiple artists. (This applies to songs in the Cover category too.)

- At least two of your songs must be sung by a female

A few notes:

In general, it's considered very poor form to suggest picks during the draft -- the equivalent of being the guy who doesn't play poker but sits at the rail and shouts out to get attention. However, it will happen. If you're the sort of person who thinks you'd be really, really bothered by this, do yourself a favor and don't play.

The draft will begin June 11th. This is due to my finals coming up and the Memorial day weekend and such. This should give us plenty of time to iron out which positions we are going to have this time.
Well.......

Butter

• Suffering from early-onset douchiness
  • City Elder
Re: The Randomville Fantasy Music Draft II- The Revenge
« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2007, 07:55:29 AM »

Someone go look up the old voting thread and post those brilliant ideas here!  I would, but I am slowed a bit at present by work.

clemsonfan

• RN
  • City Elder
« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2007, 08:02:44 AM »

I would like a category for best Live Song and best album opening song, perhaps.  Those are the only 2 I thought of, because I'm not very creative.
Well.......

clemsonfan

• RN
  • City Elder
« Reply #3 on: May 22, 2007, 08:07:02 AM »

A couple of months ago whigsgeek suggested:

The Aphrodisiac (song that gets you in the mood or that enhances the, erm, transaction)
The Baby Beluga (kid's song)
The Breakup Anthem
The Country Bumpkin (could either be the quintessential country song or the song most associated with rednecks)
The Motown Classic
The Movie Song (could either be the greatest song to ever have been written for a movie or to have been used in a movie)
The Ripoff (song that most blatantly rips off another song)
The Rump Shaker
Well.......

Cockney Rebel

• I don't have an accent. You do.
  • Global Moderator
  • City Elder
  • Art is impossible to define. Shitty art is not.
« Reply #4 on: May 22, 2007, 08:46:53 AM »

A band is the same band even if some members change (Genesis with Peter Gabriel is the same as Genesis with Phil Collins).

Liar!  :o

I wish I had time for this, it sounds like fun. But I haven't even found the time to do my own Randomville Fun (The Mystery Mix) yet, for which I apologise. It WILL come boys & girls.
Opulence. I has it.

Ella Minnow Pea

• Numbers Guru
  • Administrator
  • City Elder
  • Reference Desk
« Reply #5 on: May 22, 2007, 08:50:23 AM »

I'm in. My thought is each participant picks a category. I did have some ideas, but can't think of them right now.
also known as rcc94

Poncho

• ARRR! Booty Pirate
  • City Elder
    • Fark
« Reply #6 on: May 22, 2007, 09:04:01 AM »

June 11th... works for me.
Your head will collapse and there's nothing in it and you'll ask yourself 'where is my mind'??  - "Where is my Mind?" Pixies

rva

« Reply #7 on: May 22, 2007, 02:16:07 PM »

I think it would be interesting if we took a movie or movies everyone has seen (or can easily rent), and everyone score the soundtrack.  Like opening credit, ending credits, or what you would play during X scene.

That way, we would never run out of categories.  And there wouldn't be as much debate over whether something is a crossover or not.  But there would still be room for debate over the fit of the song, and if anything, more freedom in judging.

Dan

• Tetris Master
  • City Elder
« Reply #8 on: May 22, 2007, 03:55:15 PM »

Quote from: rva
I think it would be interesting if we took a movie or movies everyone has seen

Actually, that makes me think that when we tire of the Music draft we can do a film draft. You know, categories like Chick Flick, Action Movie, Art-house Film, Foreign Film, Sci-Fi, Blockbuster, Childrens/Animated, CG-only, etc. You can't use the same actor twice....etc.

Could be interesting.

Jonathan

• Future Boy
  • City Elder
« Reply #9 on: May 22, 2007, 04:31:39 PM »

Actually, that makes me think that when we tire of the Music draft we can do a film draft. You know, categories like Chick Flick, Action Movie, Art-house Film, Foreign Film, Sci-Fi, Blockbuster, Childrens/Animated, CG-only, etc. You can't use the same actor twice....etc.

Could be interesting.

Until somebody drafted a Kevin Bacon movie and the whole draft ground to a halt... ;)
"I believe that in the long view of history, the British Empire will be remembered only for two things. The game of football, and the expression 'fuck off.'" - Sir Richard Turnbull

Dan

• Tetris Master
  • City Elder
« Reply #10 on: May 22, 2007, 04:56:30 PM »

Isn't that like drafting the Beatles in the music draft? But I see your point. If someone drafts Animal House, does that mean every film Bacon's ever done is now wiped out? I dunno. Maybe you could narrow it down to the top actors. Of you could do directors instead. It's just a thought, anyhow.

Jonathan

• Future Boy
  • City Elder
« Reply #11 on: May 22, 2007, 06:38:34 PM »

Why are you asking us? You're the one who came up with the idea! ;)
"I believe that in the long view of history, the British Empire will be remembered only for two things. The game of football, and the expression 'fuck off.'" - Sir Richard Turnbull

trixi

• Sun Bum
  • Global Moderator
  • City Elder
  • My heart belongs to Ryne Sandberg
« Reply #12 on: May 22, 2007, 10:15:16 PM »

I'm in maybe?  I may be on vacation, so I'll let you know for sure
"Beware the lustful fires that burn in a librarian's heart. They can rage beyond all control."

Andrews

• Citizen
  • Elitist Jerk
    • Social Tool
« Reply #13 on: May 23, 2007, 04:11:31 AM »

I'm in! Sounds like fun. I think that the film scoring would be a kick as well...

clemsonfan

• RN
  • City Elder
« Reply #14 on: May 23, 2007, 06:58:19 AM »

Ok, how about for this time, each participant picks a position.
« Last Edit: May 23, 2007, 01:08:16 PM by clemsonfan »
Well.......
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up