Randomville

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
GigaBook.com
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 ... 13 14 [15]   Go Down

Author Topic: Cincinnati Reds 2013  (Read 3866 times)

Butter

• Probably in the car
  • City Elder
  • Spreadsheets R Us
Re: Cincinnati Reds 2013
« Reply #210 on: October 04, 2013, 10:56:12 AM »

LaRussa would be a big mistake, IMO.  He's a veteran-type coach like Baker, he would cost a ton, and not sure how into it he is anymore.  Especially coaching the Reds. 

I'd go with a fresh face.  Someone new who could energize the team.  If it doesn't work, it's easy to fire that guy.  Which may have to happen anyway since I think the Reds need to rebuild.

You've said this "rebuild" a couple of times now.  Curious as to why?  I don't think their farm system is much to speak of anymore, but they have a good MLB core and a pretty strong pitching staff.  A couple of good years of drafting and development, and they'll be fine.  Maybe not great, but certainly not in dire straits.  Signing Choo for a few years would help a lot.

Kwyjibo

• Bringing Grumpy Back
  • City Elder
« Reply #211 on: October 04, 2013, 11:11:21 AM »

I don't know about the rest of the farm system but I know the Dragons are pretty lackluster.  They're still more fun to see than the Reds, though.
Baby, check this out, I've got something to say.  Man, it's so loud in here.

Fourthisto

« Reply #212 on: October 04, 2013, 11:15:50 AM »

Luck FaRussa, anyone but him. Even Darren Baker, who emphasizes close plays at the plate.

I don't know about the rest of the farm system but I know the Dragons are pretty lackluster.  They're still more fun to see than the Reds, though.

More fun because it's cheaper and Brixx is never too crowded before and after games. But that's about it.

Kwyjibo

• Bringing Grumpy Back
  • City Elder
« Reply #213 on: October 04, 2013, 11:28:02 AM »

No, it's just more fun to watch.
Baby, check this out, I've got something to say.  Man, it's so loud in here.

Fourthisto

« Reply #214 on: October 04, 2013, 12:58:42 PM »

Go on...

Zafer Kaya

• City Elder
« Reply #215 on: October 04, 2013, 01:10:24 PM »

You've said this "rebuild" a couple of times now.  Curious as to why?  I don't think their farm system is much to speak of anymore, but they have a good MLB core and a pretty strong pitching staff.  A couple of good years of drafting and development, and they'll be fine.  Maybe not great, but certainly not in dire straits.  Signing Choo for a few years would help a lot.

Right now, the Reds are the third best team in the NL Central.  I think St. Louis and Pittsburgh are likely to be better next year than they were this year.  I think the Reds are more likely to be worse. 

If they resign Choo, they're going to have to commit enough money that they won't be able to sign anyone else unless they massively expand payroll.  Choo won't replicate this season even if they resign him and I don't think Phillips has much left in the tank.  If those two slip it hurts the Reds pretty bad.  And it's not certain they can even resign Choo.

I think Baker was simply a reflection of the team.  They're good, but they aren't quite good enough.   So you might as well go all the way and rebuild.

They have guys like Frazier and Cozart who are really pretty solid MLB-ers, just not good enough to put the Reds over the top.  They could get some really nice prospects for those two.  Bruce would fetch a lot as well.  You could also trade Bailey as he has a lot of miles on that arm now, and Latos because he's close to free agency.

They don't have to make all those trades, but the point is they have a lot of decent assets.  If they rebuild now, they may only have to punt next season.  If they wait, they could end up in a Cubs-like 4-5 year rebuild.

euro60

• City Elder
« Reply #216 on: October 06, 2013, 10:01:49 PM »

Back from Belgium... Imagine my surprise to find out about Dusty's ouster!

It proves that Bob Castellini is not just an owner but also a fan, and has his pulse close to what lives in RedNation. It was clear to all that Dusty, as fine a manager he was, couldn't get over the hump in the play-offs. He had his chances, three in fact.

As to a replacement, I've no clue. I want a manager who will lift the expectations of the team, rather than always excusing, as Dusty was so prone to do. The Reds have a solid team, and simply need to get better managed when it really matters.
"A blind faith in authority is the worst enemy of truth" - Albert Einstein (1901)

The Cincinnati Symphony Orchestra is one of Cincinnati's underappreciated treasures

Butter

• Probably in the car
  • City Elder
  • Spreadsheets R Us
« Reply #217 on: October 07, 2013, 07:39:33 AM »

Right now, the Reds are the third best team in the NL Central.  I think St. Louis and Pittsburgh are likely to be better next year than they were this year.  I think the Reds are more likely to be worse. 

If they resign Choo, they're going to have to commit enough money that they won't be able to sign anyone else unless they massively expand payroll.  Choo won't replicate this season even if they resign him and I don't think Phillips has much left in the tank.  If those two slip it hurts the Reds pretty bad.  And it's not certain they can even resign Choo.

I think Baker was simply a reflection of the team.  They're good, but they aren't quite good enough.   So you might as well go all the way and rebuild.

They have guys like Frazier and Cozart who are really pretty solid MLB-ers, just not good enough to put the Reds over the top.  They could get some really nice prospects for those two.  Bruce would fetch a lot as well.  You could also trade Bailey as he has a lot of miles on that arm now, and Latos because he's close to free agency.

They don't have to make all those trades, but the point is they have a lot of decent assets.  If they rebuild now, they may only have to punt next season.  If they wait, they could end up in a Cubs-like 4-5 year rebuild.

You make some good points. 

I would be fine if they traded Cozart, but I think Frazier will get there over time.  He did not have a very good season, but I think several Reds did not have very good seasons.  Cueto basically didn't pitch the entire year.

I think they should trade Chapman and develop one of these other arms as the closer.  That would net something nice back.  But overall, I don't think they are as close to needing to rebuild as you do.  I think they had a subpar season for their talent level, but that it will be a 3 horse race in the NL Central for the near future.  I guess we'll see soon enough.

foolsgold

• City Elder
  • To the East...Blackward
    • Teabaggin'
« Reply #218 on: October 09, 2013, 11:29:41 AM »

Why not offer Scott Rolen a coaching position?  He's good in the clubhouse and the players respect him.  Can Mark Berry and put Rolen as 3rd base coach. 
Why there's all these ugly mans on my TV screen?  I wrap my head with foil so I don't catch them beams.

Kenneth Toilethole

• City Elder
  • Definitely not Liz
« Reply #219 on: October 12, 2013, 04:22:37 PM »

I don't think that's very accurate. Stevenson looked good, I really thought Winker has some nice tools and Travieso really reminds me of Wood when he was at Dayton with a better fastball (not as good with off-speed stuff however). That's 3 potential regular guys in just one season.

euro60

• City Elder
« Reply #220 on: October 22, 2013, 09:45:01 AM »

Pitching coach Bryan Price confirmed as new Reds manager

I guess we'll know in a year or so whether that was the right choice...
"A blind faith in authority is the worst enemy of truth" - Albert Einstein (1901)

The Cincinnati Symphony Orchestra is one of Cincinnati's underappreciated treasures

Zafer Kaya

• City Elder
« Reply #221 on: October 22, 2013, 10:45:57 AM »

You never know until it's too late, unfortunately.

But I personally thought Price was the right choice.  Keep it in house.  Give a new guy a chance instead of going with the same recycled talent.  He's certainly a very good pitching coach, so why not?

Rumor is the Reds are shopping Brandon Phillips.  I wouldn't give up very much if anything for him, but perhaps they can get some team to overpay.  It'll be tricky though.  If the rumors are substantiated and word gets out they are shopping Phillips, they really have no choice but to trade him at that point.  I wouldn't want angry Phillips back on the team.

euro60

• City Elder
« Reply #222 on: October 22, 2013, 11:58:07 AM »

You never know until it's too late, unfortunately.

But I personally thought Price was the right choice.  Keep it in house.  Give a new guy a chance instead of going with the same recycled talent.  He's certainly a very good pitching coach, so why not?

Rumor is the Reds are shopping Brandon Phillips.  I wouldn't give up very much if anything for him, but perhaps they can get some team to overpay.  It'll be tricky though.  If the rumors are substantiated and word gets out they are shopping Phillips, they really have no choice but to trade him at that point.  I wouldn't want angry Phillips back on the team.
I agree, it makes sense to give Price a shot.

As to Brandon Phillips: this guy at RedlegNation seems to think it's very unlikely that BP will be back, no matter how poor the trading prospects are.

Zafer Kaya

• City Elder
« Reply #223 on: October 22, 2013, 12:53:24 PM »

I would trade Phillips for Uggla and a top prospect in a flash.   Can't believe the Reds wouldn't jump on that deal.
Pages: 1 ... 13 14 [15]   Go Up