Randomville

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
GigaBook.com
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 14   Go Down

Author Topic: All-new NHL thread  (Read 24415 times)

Kenneth Toilethole

• City Elder
  • Definitely not Liz
Re: All-new NHL thread
« Reply #75 on: June 04, 2010, 07:52:57 AM »

Wow, its been awhile since this thread got any attention. And I guess myself and the Hegemo will be the only ones who probably care about this, but the BlueJackets finally did something right this season! David Savard is going to be a STUD. He will end up being the best draft pick they have made in their franchise's history as far as value for the round he was selected.

Oh, and Chicago in 6.

rva

« Reply #76 on: January 19, 2011, 09:04:56 PM »

Overheard at sports bar, a hockey novice asks questions about Jonas Gustavsson to her angry date (wearing a Leafs jersey):

Is the goalie allowed to stop the puck?
Yes.
Oh.

And he's allowed to move around in front of the goal?
Yes.
Okay.

And he's allowed to like, use his arms and legs and not just his stick, right?
Yes.

Are they allowed to change goalies in the middle of a game?
Yes.

So.... why don't they change goalies?
Considering this is pretty much the last game he's ever going to play, I guess they figure they might as well let him finish it.

rva

« Reply #77 on: June 15, 2011, 11:05:30 PM »

Ha Ha!  Take that, Luongo!

Kenneth Toilethole

• City Elder
  • Definitely not Liz
« Reply #78 on: August 31, 2011, 09:11:04 PM »

Dear fellow former and current NHL goons,

You should probably make sure you have your life insurance policies up to date.

Hugs and kisses,

Stu Grimson

rva

« Reply #79 on: September 01, 2011, 12:05:22 AM »

Wait, what happened to the Grim Reaper?  ??? :'(

Poolio

• Global Moderator
  • City Elder
« Reply #80 on: September 01, 2011, 07:38:24 AM »

Wait, what happened to the Grim Reaper?  ??? :'(

I'm guessing it's just good advice for the Goons after Wade Belak passed away this week.

It's implied that he committed suicide in the article, Robbie have you heard whether that's the case?
Insert witty phrase or quote here.

Kenneth Toilethole

• City Elder
  • Definitely not Liz
« Reply #81 on: September 01, 2011, 07:53:19 AM »

I haven't heard exactly what has happened yet. I will be very troubled if it was suicide. Wade was a great interview and had a future ahead of him in broadcasting. And that doesn't include what appeared on the surface as a happy family life  Its very strange that there has been this rash (Probert, Boogaard and Rypien) of enforcers that have died rather prematurely. So far all three have died for different reasons (heart attack, drug overdose, suicide) so it will be interesting when the details come out. However, it could be argued in their own ways, all three suffered from mental issues. But, as far as I know, this was never the case for Belak. I guess we will find out.

Poolio

• Global Moderator
  • City Elder
« Reply #82 on: September 01, 2011, 08:22:00 AM »

I haven't heard exactly what has happened yet. I will be very troubled if it was suicide. <snip> However, it could be argued in their own ways, all three suffered from mental issues. But, as far as I know, this was never the case for Belak. I guess we will find out.

I agree, it's troubling. One of the quoted tweets mentions a painkiller and that the withdrawal when a patient goes off the drug can throw them into depression. I hope that it was some sort of medical event, it would be easier for his family, friends, and fans to understand than trying to figure out why a guy who seemed to have it together would end his own life. But, if we've learned anything around here these last few months, it's that you never really know what is going on inside the mind of someone else...

The Hegemo

• City Elder
    • Facebook
« Reply #83 on: September 01, 2011, 09:28:22 AM »

The Toronto Sun was reporting that it was suicide. Horribly sad.

With everything we know now about long-term effects of concussions on people's health, I was already getting squeamish about applauding hockey fights. I've always been kind of ambivalent about fighting -- I don't really buy the arguments for why it HAS to be part of the game. And I'm a big college hockey fan, where it's been all but eliminated, and I don't miss it. But, yeah, it's always been entertaining when I've been at a pro game and there is a fight. And I applaud the fighters afterward.

I know we'll never know for sure what Belak or Rypien or Boogaard had in their minds, or what led them to make the choices they did. But there seems to be more and more evidence all the time that fighting as practiced in pro hockey has serious physical and psychological consequences for the guys who do it for a living. It's very troubling.
I am not a dude

rva

« Reply #84 on: September 01, 2011, 10:08:34 AM »

I always thought goon was a horrible job.

I feel like it's not so much the psychological damage of having to fight, but more the rest of the stuff.

Like no one grows up wanting be a goon.  I'm guessing the majority of goons were totally kick-ass hockey players in their youth.  But they really don't even get to play hockey.  A few of them get to play a real shift.  But a lot of them it's like, the only time you get in the game is when you are supposed to fight and you're expected to fight as soon as they drop the puck.  Then you go the the penalty box and that's your night.

That would suck.  And you're still having to do the crap work like travel all the time and practice and team functions, so it's not like it's easy to find fulfillment outside of work through hobbies or whatever.  And you're making a ton of money, and no one really cares if you show up for a game hungover.  So boredom+youth+too much money is a bad formula.

I guess it's also kind of messed up that you spend most of your team trying to beat up the people who you probably relate to best.  I think that's why Stu Grimson and Bob Probert became friends after they retired.

Kenneth Toilethole

• City Elder
  • Definitely not Liz
« Reply #85 on: September 01, 2011, 01:03:12 PM »

I always thought goon was a horrible job.

I feel like it's not so much the psychological damage of having to fight, but more the rest of the stuff.

Like no one grows up wanting be a goon.  I'm guessing the majority of goons were totally kick-ass hockey players in their youth.  But they really don't even get to play hockey.  A few of them get to play a real shift.  But a lot of them it's like, the only time you get in the game is when you are supposed to fight and you're expected to fight as soon as they drop the puck.  Then you go the the penalty box and that's your night.

That would suck.  And you're still having to do the crap work like travel all the time and practice and team functions, so it's not like it's easy to find fulfillment outside of work through hobbies or whatever.  And you're making a ton of money, and no one really cares if you show up for a game hungover.  So boredom+youth+too much money is a bad formula.

I guess it's also kind of messed up that you spend most of your team trying to beat up the people who you probably relate to best.  I think that's why Stu Grimson and Bob Probert became friends after they retired.
Jeff Merek who hosts Hockey Night in Canada radio is a big tough guy fan so he has them on the show as much as he can. Its been interesting to hear the different takes on the job. You have some guys who would talk about not being able to fall asleep the night before because they knew they would have to fight people like Dave Brown the next day. Then you have people like Tony Twist and Tyson Nash who say they flat out liked fighting people. One thing that is common among all of them is that they all are buddies off the ice. Its definitely a fraternity.

The quote above by RVA pretty much sums up the song "Hit Somebody" from Warren Zevon's last album.

Poolio

• Global Moderator
  • City Elder
« Reply #86 on: September 01, 2011, 02:57:12 PM »

Great perspective from a former player... and easy to relate to for those of us outside the sports world. Easy to get disillusioned and feel terrified at the propect of a life outside of whatever we've created our identity around.

Kenneth Toilethole

• City Elder
  • Definitely not Liz
« Reply #87 on: September 07, 2011, 12:48:57 PM »

Ummm, I think we have enough dead hockey players for one year. So, whoever is in charge here, KNOCK IT OFF!

The Hegemo

• City Elder
    • Facebook
« Reply #88 on: September 07, 2011, 02:25:03 PM »

Ummm, I think we have enough dead hockey players for one year. So, whoever is in charge here, KNOCK IT OFF!

THIS!
I am not a dude

Poolio

• Global Moderator
  • City Elder
« Reply #89 on: September 07, 2011, 02:29:02 PM »

Seriously...
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 14   Go Up