Randomville

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
GigaBook.com
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 ... 25 26 [27] 28 29 ... 33   Go Down

Author Topic: The gardening thread  (Read 34877 times)

daytime drinking

• City Elder
Re: The gardening thread
« Reply #390 on: July 23, 2014, 12:09:10 PM »

one of my thai peppers turned red, so i plucked and cooked and ate.  our green peppers are doing good 'cept they get a bit of the old bottom rot.  with think it's cuz they weren't getting enough sun.  so we moved em.  they was in a bucket.  got us some heirloom maters and roma and cherry.  and ground cherries!  wonderful!  quite a snack.  the zuke's and cuke's are a riot and dem onions is a producin'.  this first year is thus far a success! 
poach eggs, not elephants

daytime drinking

• City Elder
« Reply #391 on: August 11, 2014, 06:27:55 PM »

so, how's the garden's doing?  made my very first batch of salsa a few weeks ago with almost exclusive garden vegetables.  at first taste i was disappointed.  after a couple of days it was wonderful.  i'm beginning to become nervous at the bounty of tomatoes.  we needs learn how to can 

MissKitty

• Hooray Beer!
  • City Elder
« Reply #392 on: August 11, 2014, 08:56:57 PM »

Good to hear you are having good luck with the garden. Learn to can the tomatoes (messy but worth it) and if you have cherry tomatoes, slow roast them. They are like candy. I roast hundreds of them every year and freeze what I don't use in a couple of weeks.

Bottom rot is more likely caused by infrequent watering than lack of sun, I think.
Duct tape can't fix stupid.

daytime drinking

• City Elder
« Reply #393 on: October 03, 2014, 12:31:43 PM »

so i've got a late blooming garden of sorts.  my habeneros are finally turning color (and growing more) and my tomatillo are finally producing.  if i were still single, i would spend about 10 minutes foraging in my garden and then i would go out for the night.  the scent is incomparable.  panties be droppin

foolsgold

• City Elder
  • To the East...Blackward
    • Teabaggin'
« Reply #394 on: October 03, 2014, 12:55:11 PM »

Our stupid tomatoes waited, in large part, for me going out of town.  By the time I get back, those bastard 'maters will all be eaten by my nemeses (deer, raccoon, squirrel, punk neighbor kids.) 
Why there's all these ugly mans on my TV screen?  I wrap my head with foil so I don't catch them beams.

daytime drinking

• City Elder
« Reply #395 on: October 03, 2014, 01:14:25 PM »

your punk neighbor kids indulge in home grown maters?  where do you live, mariemont? 

foolsgold

• City Elder
  • To the East...Blackward
    • Teabaggin'
« Reply #396 on: October 03, 2014, 01:18:40 PM »

Used to.

Maybe I should hire Butter out.  He did a bang-up just getting rid of those hobos stealing my pies cooling on the windowsill.
Why there's all these ugly mans on my TV screen?  I wrap my head with foil so I don't catch them beams.

daytime drinking

• City Elder
« Reply #397 on: October 03, 2014, 01:37:44 PM »

it's probably because he dressed up as a hobo as well

daytime drinking

• City Elder
« Reply #398 on: November 14, 2014, 03:14:44 PM »

have some green tomatoes left that i've been frying and putting on house made pizza.  it's wonderful.  fried green tomatoes are like vegetarian fish sticks.  we have a few plum butternut squashes that need to be souped.  any y'all got a recipe?  also have many purple taters that could be incorporated.  i've never made soup

Zafer Kaya

• City Elder
« Reply #399 on: September 24, 2015, 07:11:01 PM »

I just dug the most kickass bed ever.  It was this compacted red clay. It was so bad that when I was digging it, I actually found 5 or 6 bricks in it.  But I couldn't even tell until it came out in a brick shape.  I kept hitting hard stuff and thinking it was a brick but it was just clay.

Anyway, I took a pickaxe to it to break it all up, then carted off about 4 inches of soil.  Added sphagnum moss, some sand and organic mulch.  Turned it over a bunch of times.  Now it is good draining dirt for about 8 inches.  Technically, I would prefer a foot, but this is a tiny strip so I will only be planting small, shallow rooted plants. 

I also "dug" the worst bed ever today.  It is on a really sharp slope and was also totally compacted.  If I loosened up the soil, it would just all slide down the hill.  So I just graded it out a bit so the slope is not quite as bad.  Then threw some organic mulch/ soil conditioner on top.  Hopefully, the mulch will break into the soil a little bit.  I dunno.  The only thing that gives me hope is all my neighbors have the same soil and things grow on it.  Granted, not much and not well, but it grows.

I have also thrown plants in there.  Usually they die after a couple years because the ivy takes over, plus I ignore it.  But the fact that it at least hangs on for a year or so gives me hope that with more attention and a lower grade to help hold water, it will work.  At least for hosta.

Tomorrow, I dig the third tier in that hill.  The soil there is loose because it is under my porch roof and never gets rained on.  It is just kind of dust.  So I will need to throw a lot of soil, moss, organic matter, etc.  but at least it is easy to work with.

Zafer Kaya

• City Elder
« Reply #400 on: July 12, 2016, 01:55:02 PM »

What is up with this new thing of throwing tiny succulents into tiny (often expensive) planters.  Every where I go I see a little baby jade plant planted in some tiny space struggling to survive. 

You know you're not really growing a jade plant.  You've just got a jade plant twig jammed into a decorative space.  Like just rip off a jade tree branch, and toss it on the floor.  It stays green for six months.  That's all you're doing, watching a jade plant twig die.

Don't even get me started on air plants.  Next time you get your hair cut, just grab a chunk of hair, duct tape it into a bundle and shove that into a glass bowl.  It will look just as attractive as an air plant and survive just as long.

Time to grow up and grow a real plant.

daytime drinking

• City Elder
« Reply #401 on: September 29, 2016, 09:00:42 AM »

my buddy and i were engaged in pertinent matters over espresso and morning beers when the topic of composting came up.  and then naturally the slow decaying egg shells.  he pulled out a mason jar that he'd been cramming with egg shells.  he lets em dry and spreads over his garden.  says it's like diatomaceous earth, which is coincidentally what i want to be for halloween. 

Zafer Kaya

• City Elder
« Reply #402 on: September 29, 2016, 03:15:11 PM »

Composting is a bit harder than it looks.

If you get the brown to green ratio just right and some nice hot days, it all breaks down pretty fast.  Don't even have to turn it over too much.  But get it wrong, and it never breaks down at all.

That's the problem with composters.  You throw kitchen scraps and newspapers in there and hope you get it right.  But if you don't, you've just got like a half a composter full of junk.  Don't really know how to fix that. Just guess and add more greens or browns I guess.  But your composter never really empties.  It's just like dead branches and grasses and then an eighth full of actual compost that you can't get out easily.

The only way to do it is just to have a compost pile, and whatever doesn't break down then you just pull out and use the rest.  Except that if you live in the city, then it's not really a compost pile anymore.  It's really more of a vermin attracter and fly breeding ground.  My sister tried to have a compost pile in her yard.  Some anonymous neighbor complained to her HOA.  I guess I couldn't really blame them.

daytime drinking

• City Elder
« Reply #403 on: September 30, 2016, 11:56:33 AM »

black soldier flies take care of my shit.  annoying when they get in the house

Zafer Kaya

• City Elder
« Reply #404 on: September 30, 2016, 10:28:43 PM »

Love the BSF.  Compost things faster, take over the pile so you don't get fruit flies or house flies or some other annoying thing. 

They can fly around in my house all day.  Small and not really noisy.  They don't really even try to evade capture if you scoop 'em up gently.  Then just dump them outside.

Unfortunately anything in my area that is remotely fly attracting gets houseflies which are the lamest, annoyingist flies or flesh flies which are actually beneficial and cool but gross and disease spreading.
Pages: 1 ... 25 26 [27] 28 29 ... 33   Go Up