Randomville

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
GigaBook.com
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 ... 28 29 [30] 31 32 33   Go Down

Author Topic: The gardening thread  (Read 32948 times)

adyonka

• Administrator
  • Tourist
Re: The gardening thread
« Reply #435 on: October 02, 2017, 02:17:17 PM »

A lot of butterflies are like that.

You might have Karner Blue Butterflies near you.  They only lay eggs on lupinus perrenis.  The Karner Blue is way more attractive and endangered than the Monarch.  Lupinus Perrenis is way more attractive and endangered than milkweed.

But no one gives a shit about Karner Blue butterflies and lupinus perrenis.  Because Soros is funding NAMBLA and NABA and pimping out Monarchs to the lamestream media.

Quote from: Ohio DNR Division of Wildlife
By 1988, the Karner blue had been eliminated from Ohio. The loss of habitat, its larval host the blue lupine, was the main reason for the extirpation of the Karner blue. Another reason for the loss of this beautiful butterfly was the effects of fire suppression. It is currently listed as a state-wide and nation-wide endangered species. In 1997, adult Karner blue butterflies from Michigan were taken to the Toledo Zoo, where a population of adults was bred. Adults released at Kitty Todd Nature Preserve in the summer of 1998 have bred and are doing well. Thus, the Karner blue is once again part of the Ohio landscape. (Source: http://wildlife.ohiodnr.gov/species-and-habitats/species-guide-index/butterflies-skippers/karner-blue)

daytime drinking

• City Elder
« Reply #436 on: October 02, 2017, 04:34:06 PM »

how's that tyler durden quote go?  maybe the monarch's are spotlighted to ensure a larger healthier (albeit still endangered) butterfly might not meet such a similar fate and one day reclaim the glory of being the world's most beautiful butterfly.  is that soros' plan in a nutshell? 
poach eggs, not elephants

Zafer Kaya

• City Elder
« Reply #437 on: February 21, 2018, 01:08:28 AM »

I tried to grow Echinacea from seed.  I had 10 seeds.  After 1 month, none of them have germinated.

About a week after I started the Echinacea, I started some snap dragons.  I think maybe 5 out of 20 have sprouted.  And they're all in one 4" pot.  So I really don't know what to do.  I guess I'll have to snip some and then wind up with hopefully 2.

Yesterday I grew frustrated and started another tray with some marigolds and zinnia.  The zinnias are already sprouting.  In less than 24 hours.  I don't get it?  I did nothing different.  It was supposed to take a week.  They're going to mature too early.  I don't have enough light to support mature plants indoors, and if I put them outside they will freeze and die.
« Last Edit: February 21, 2018, 01:15:40 AM by Zafer Kaya »

Kwyjibo

• Bringing Grumpy Back
  • City Elder
« Reply #438 on: February 21, 2018, 09:20:40 AM »

I tried to sprout some peach pits last fall from a family friend's tree.  They never sprouted.  I'm bummed, they were some damn tasty peaches.
Baby, check this out, I've got something to say.  Man, it's so loud in here.

Zafer Kaya

• City Elder
« Reply #439 on: February 21, 2018, 03:18:47 PM »

I mean, it's still only February.  Maybe there's still time for them to come up?  I still have a ton of stuff I planted last year looking dead or there's just a dirt patch that I'm hoping just need a week or two.

daytime drinking

• City Elder
« Reply #440 on: February 21, 2018, 08:41:10 PM »

what kinda peach trees?  we have two dwarf guys in our backyard.  didn't start them but my buddy has and was successful.  he's not the kind of person who puts a lot of effort into things, always needs $50 or to borrow my car.....  come to think of it, he does but a lot of thought into his yard.  he's always out there.  i suppose when all you do is not look for work, you can focus on your hobbies

our peach trees last year appeared to be dying.  the leaves started browning and the fruit was long gone.  taken, by the birds.  we summoned horticulturist friends and the diagnosis was grim.  either way i was fine with it.  die or don't.  open up some land on the garden bed (which is where they were).  so we did nothing and that was the way to go 
poach eggs, not elephants

Kwyjibo

• Bringing Grumpy Back
  • City Elder
« Reply #441 on: February 21, 2018, 11:42:08 PM »

I mean, it's still only February.  Maybe there's still time for them to come up?  I still have a ton of stuff I planted last year looking dead or there's just a dirt patch that I'm hoping just need a week or two.

These are in a zip lock in the fridge, which I read was the way to go, and then transfer to a container.  They look like they did when they went in so that clearly didn't work.

I don't know what kind, the original trees are in Oak Harbor.  I don't even really like peaches, but these made my toes curl
Baby, check this out, I've got something to say.  Man, it's so loud in here.

Zafer Kaya

• City Elder
« Reply #442 on: February 22, 2018, 11:15:55 AM »

These are in a zip lock in the fridge, which I read was the way to go, and then transfer to a container.  They look like they did when they went in so that clearly didn't work.

I don't know what kind, the original trees are in Oak Harbor.  I don't even really like peaches, but these made my toes curl

Yeah, you crack them open to get to the pit.  Then you wrap the pit in a couple of moist paper towels and stick it in the fridge, stick it in the fridge, stick it in the fridge, stick it in the fridge.

I used to do it all the time when I was little.  Not because I wanted a peach tree.  I just thought it was cool for some reason.  It only worked maybe half the time, though.

Zafer Kaya

• City Elder
« Reply #443 on: April 18, 2018, 06:10:04 PM »

When I moved into the house, there was this overgrown strip of daffodils and roses.  I am not big into either one, so I cut down the roses and put a different bed on top of the daffodils.  I dug out a bunch when I was digging, but I knew I did not get them all.

So this year, the daffodils came up.  There are hundreds, maybe even a thousand.  I had plans like I would wait and then dig them out.  But then I realized that was going to be a ton of work and what would I do with all those bulbs anyway?

So today, I came home and just out of curiosity, pulled at one.  The ground was soft, so it came out with this tearing/plop sensation.  And then I realized how much easier it would be to just pull them out now.

So I did.  And it just turned into this horribe daffodil slaughter, just pulling out 4 or 5 at a time.  It felt bad to be killing all those plants and wasting them, too.  But it also felt good, like peeling off a scab.  It was awful.  I think I pulled about 200 or so in 20 minutes.  That as all I could do before I started feeling too weird.  I guess tomorrow I will do 200 more.  I think some of them had been there a long time.  Maybe 20-30 years or more, who knows?  They were nice ones, too.  A lot of jonquils and doubles and tazettas that you donít see too much anymore.

I will try to keep some of the sna

va-vacious

• City Elder
    • http://va-vacious.livejournal.com
« Reply #444 on: April 18, 2018, 10:51:05 PM »

Maybe there is a garden group you could give the bulbs to? Like extension agents or an arboretum, and they could sell them?

c-lando

• Bacon Research & Sparkle Development/Cr0ndog Millionaire
  • City Elder
« Reply #445 on: April 19, 2018, 10:19:00 AM »

So today, I came home and just out of curiosity, pulled at one.  The ground was soft, so it came out with this tearing/plop sensation.  And then I realized how much easier it would be to just pull them out now.

So I did.  And it just turned into this horribe daffodil slaughter, just pulling out 4 or 5 at a time.  It felt bad to be killing all those plants and wasting them, too.  But it also felt good, like peeling off a scab.

This is why I should weed more in our yard. Pulling stuff intact from the ground is EXTREMELY satisfying.
Once the bacon's done, all pants are off.  
PANTS PANTS REVOLUTION!!!

Butter

• Suffering from early-onset douchiness
  • City Elder
« Reply #446 on: April 19, 2018, 12:03:30 PM »

I will try to keep some of the sna

Snakes?
Snafus?
Snark?

It's gotta be snark.

MissKitty

• Hooray Beer!
  • City Elder
« Reply #447 on: April 19, 2018, 12:16:12 PM »

Maybe there is a garden group you could give the bulbs to? Like extension agents or an arboretum, and they could sell them?

This is a very good idea but I think you will need to let some of them die back naturally and then Dig, Dry, Donate. Quality daffys are always in demand.
Duct tape can't fix stupid.

Zafer Kaya

• City Elder
« Reply #448 on: April 19, 2018, 02:31:34 PM »

This is a very good idea but I think you will need to let some of them die back naturally and then Dig, Dry, Donate. Quality daffys are always in demand.

Yeah, but that would a huge pain.  I'd have to dig instead of just pull.  And they are in a new bed which needs mulching so I don't want to mulch around the daffodils, just to dig everything up and re-mulch.  If we were just talking about 50 daffodils, I might do it.  But 500 or more is just too big a PITA. 

Most of the bulbs are still pretty fat.  I think they would be fine, you just might not get blooms the first year.  Or at least they would be fine if I put them in my garage for storage today.  Which I won't.  It's just too out of control.  I do feel a little bad, but I mean it's not like daffodils are an endangered species.  If they were natives, I'd try to save them but they aren't native and are messing up the natives I'm trying to plant. 

I also have a bluebell problem.  Not as a bad as the daffodils, but there are still 50 or so random bluebells of the non-native kind coming up in weird places in my yard.  It's not totally random, just not organized either.  At some point someone had a some beds laid out in a way that no longer makes much sense given the current yard layout.  I'm leaving them for now.

Zafer Kaya

• City Elder
« Reply #449 on: April 28, 2018, 04:53:56 PM »

Was at Loweís today.  Garden section was packed with people buying mulch and plants, getting all ready for the season, looking happy.

Iím like the walking dead.  Iím already burnt on gardening.  Iíve been mulching, growing, and weeding, pulling out 1,000 daffodil bulbs since February.  Iíve actually been mulching year round since August really. I am like 90% mulched but now I need to re-mulch already.  Next year I am just going to get a pallet of like 200 bags and do it all in a weekend.  This eight to ten bags of mulch every weekend is killing me.

I finally got my beds ready and my plants came this week.  Iím too tired to plant them and now theyíll just die because I ran out of steam at the critical juncture.
Pages: 1 ... 28 29 [30] 31 32 33   Go Up