Randomville

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
GigaBook.com
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 ... 31 32 [33] 34   Go Down

Author Topic: The gardening thread  (Read 43044 times)

MissKitty

• Hooray Beer!
  • City Elder
Re: The gardening thread
« Reply #480 on: May 29, 2018, 12:28:04 PM »

Thanks for the info, Paco and ZK. We've cut the bamboo right back to the soil and covered it with tarps. I'll check it in a month and see if there is any green whatsoever. If I see even a smidgen of life I'm gonna Round-Up the hell out of it, possibly under cover of darkness when the Earth-friendly member is asleep. :)
Duct tape can't fix stupid.

Kwyjibo

• Bringing Grumpy Back
  • City Elder
« Reply #481 on: May 29, 2018, 03:34:41 PM »

I have both mulberry and endless amounts of honeysuckle.  I should be pitied.

I've gone to town on the honeysuckle, but it's a long slow process.  I bought a tractor last fall and have been using it to rip the fuckers out of the ground stump and all.  It's rewarding work, but it's slow, and with no-one helping me it's a real work out.  Climbing up and down off of that tractor to move the chain is better exercise than I get any other way.
Baby, check this out, I've got something to say.  Man, it's so loud in here.

daytime drinking

• City Elder
« Reply #482 on: May 31, 2018, 10:47:51 PM »

so apparently you can't just cut bamboo and make shit.  there's a process that involves some time and effort.  just trying to build a trellis for some grape vines on the deck.  wife wants the bamboo for the trees she procures and it's ideal trellis material.  guess i'll just use shit i find lying around the yard.  shoulda harvested some sunflower stalks from last go round
poach eggs, not elephants

Paco

• Tourist
« Reply #483 on: June 01, 2018, 02:59:36 PM »

I have both mulberry and endless amounts of honeysuckle.  I should be pitied.

I feel your pain. They're both a scourge.

daytime drinking

• City Elder
« Reply #484 on: September 01, 2018, 02:49:46 PM »

was out picking a coupla tomatoes, trying weave around the spider's weave and grab a most likely unsightly guy and all of a sudden commotion.  i pull my hands back.  i'm thinking bird or squirrel somewhere yonder in the near vicinity.  but then i see a swallowtail hung up, struggling.  oh shit!  nature!  my gut reaction was to watch the battle of the beauties.  garden spider vs. swallowtail.  then i thought of my wife and grabbed a stick to try and help the swallowtail which was a real dick move.  that guy's gonna have to patch up the foundation, attach new gutters, etc.....  i'm sure he was looking forward to that.  but man, he musta snatched that ma'fucka right away.  it was quick

the swallowtail is a much prettier butterfly than the monarch 

Zafer Kaya

• City Elder
« Reply #485 on: January 28, 2019, 12:00:20 PM »

Me in winter buying seed packs:  Holy crap!  I can get a whole packet of 250 seeds for $2.50.  I'd pay $10 a plant for at the store or online.  What an unbelievable deal.  There's no reason not to order like 10 packs.  It's still on $25.00.

Me in late winter/early spring planting seeds:  Oh hell no, I am not planting all of these seeds. That is way too much work. I'll plant like... 6 seeds from 3 of these packs.

Me late spring:  What?!?  Throw away all these seed packs?  No way.  There's 250 seeds in these!  That's $10 a plant.  I'm not throwing away $2000 worth of plants.

Me in late fall when the seed catalogs come:  Hmm... I already ordered a packet of that seed last year, and didn't plant it.  I still have it in my freezer.  I dunno, is it still good?  Better order another one this year.

I think I have like 15 packets of petunias in my freezer.  They are all opened and then poorly resealed.  I have never planted a petunia.  Each year, I order some.  I open up the bag.  I see how tiny the petunia seeds are, and I'm just like oh fuck this. 

foolsgold

• City Elder
  • To the East...Blackward
    • Teabaggin'
« Reply #486 on: January 28, 2019, 12:15:22 PM »

When I make my millions, the first thing I do is hire a professional gardener.  Someone who can grow stuff from seeds, knows all about how much water to give plants, knows what blooms when and what grows well in my zone.  I probably should also hire some hotshot botanist who can make hybrid super plants that can deal with any level of sun, temperatures and only need water whenever it rains.  They'll also be super resistant to bugs, blight, deer and my waning level of interest.  Probably. the sensible thing to do is to buy Krohn conservatory, build a house out back, and retain the staff to care for everything.  I can probably get that done for 3 million bucks or so.
Why there's all these ugly mans on my TV screen?  I wrap my head with foil so I don't catch them beams.

Zafer Kaya

• City Elder
« Reply #487 on: February 05, 2019, 01:23:52 PM »

Why do I have my seeds in humidity domes, on a heat mat, under growlights indoors when it is 70 freaking degrees outside?

I could have just thrown the seeds in a pot and put it outside.  Now watch in early/mid-March when I need it to be warm so I can transplant stuff it's going to be like 40 degrees every day and frost over every night.

Zafer Kaya

• City Elder
« Reply #488 on: April 12, 2019, 05:50:41 PM »

I'm kind of getting on board the Dahlia train.

Is it really harder to dig them up every year and then plant them every spring compared to trying to grow annuals from seed?  I don't think so. 

I'm wondering if I grew them in containers if I'd have to do anything at all.  I'm in zone 7, so it's like allllllmost warm enough to where you could leave them in the ground.  So what if I just took the containers and wrapped some bubble wrap around them and then just stored them in my unheated garage? 

daytime drinking

• City Elder
« Reply #489 on: July 30, 2019, 10:27:45 PM »

the peach tree finally started to produce.  little one and i harvested like a quarter bushel or something.  i've never been one to quantify so abstractly.  we've already canned eighteen jars from the box of south carolina peaches.  i'm thankful for the plentitude but this was this tree's last chance as the both of them are taking up a lot of room and sun in the meagre garden.  the other tree didn't do shit.  i did hack the fuck out of it this past winter.  i'd really like to get rid of it but the whole cross pollination thing.  someone in the vicinity oughta have a peach tree i reckon   

Zafer Kaya

• City Elder
« Reply #490 on: July 31, 2019, 12:12:52 AM »

My peach tree didnít do shit.  I got a bunch of peaches, but most of them shriveled up and died.  I still have three left on the tree that seem alive, but they are no bigger than they were two months ago and itís already August.

Itísa Patio peach tree though, so I think a lot more stuff can go wrong.  Probably it needed a lot more fertilizer.  Also, itís been a bad rain year.  Really wet spring, but then summer has been day after day of dry 90 degree heat.  The July rainfall overall was normal but it was all two huge storms.   Weíve had maybe five days of decent rain since late May.

Everything in my garden is struggling.  Iím going to lose probably like 20-25%.  I was watering just about everyday but out of laziness plus I could no longer justify the massive amount of water I was wasting, I just let things go.  Itís triage now.  I just water the healthy plants a bit when I have to.  Let the big ones live and then in the fall or spring I can divide them and replace the dead ones.

daytime drinking

• City Elder
« Reply #491 on: July 31, 2019, 11:12:48 PM »

you just have one?  we have two dwarf peach trees which i think are no longer dwarves.  trees explode in that backyard.  we've got an umbrella magnolia which is growing taller then the three story halfway house about 5-10 feet in front of it.  our two pawpaw trees sure don't look like understories.  i thought perhaps the halfway house would impose some sorta canopy.  they're taller than that house as well

Zafer Kaya

• City Elder
« Reply #492 on: August 01, 2019, 01:22:51 AM »

Yeah, I just have a five footer in a container.  Used to have two, but gave one to my parents.

I almost planted some pawpaw trees, but I felt like they would get too big so I planted native fringe trees instead.

daytime drinking

• City Elder
« Reply #493 on: August 23, 2019, 11:54:57 PM »

Yeah, I just have a five footer in a container.  Used to have two, but gave one to my parents.

I almost planted some pawpaw trees, but I felt like they would get too big so I planted native fringe trees instead.

what about the cross pollination?  that's what i'm worried about

it's great to see that mr opossum has taken over the backyard beat of one mr raccoon.  i'm not sure how i'd be able to trap a raccoon without a professional.  it'd be cool to haul a caged raccoon in my festiva however many miles away they recommend, but i'd have to set the trap on my deck which can only be accessed from the inside.  i have this apprehension of giving him a tour of my house.  shitting or whatever.  i was thinking maybe i could like lower the cage down onto the courtyard with a rope but there's mad obstacles like steps and trashcans and peach trees strewn about.  although maybe seeing papa hauling a 'coon thru the corridors and down the steps would be a great first memory for little one

wife says that opossum eat shit loads of ticks.  i haven't named my opossum yet but we're sorta tight.  around nightfall it is my wont to puff on my e cigarette or whatever outback.  mr opossum just be chillin munchin on some grapes.  i always thought they'd just run away from you and here he is just eating this food i grew.  now specifically for him   

the first childern's story didn't meet wife's expectations/ intended audience.  it was about; who's calling that a bird feeder?  your squirrel and bird fare.  mr opossum and mr raccoon has suddenly become intriguing

Zafer Kaya

• City Elder
« Reply #494 on: August 24, 2019, 01:44:27 PM »

Yeah, it's a bit of a pain because they don't self-pollinate and then you have to get two kinds because the ones you buy are usually grafted and genetically identical.

That part doesn't bother me too much.  It's not like apples where wild apples taste like ass.  Everyone eats wild paw paw all the time and they taste fine, and pretty similar.

But it sucks that not only do they not self- pollinate, but they cross-pollinate poorly on their own. To me, that's cool and interesting because the reason why is that they are older than bees and most productive pollinators so they did not evolve the flowers to attract them.  You need similarly old, shitty pollinating flies of some kind.  Or climb up there with some q tips or an old paint brush and do it yourself.
Pages: 1 ... 31 32 [33] 34   Go Up