Randomville

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
GigaBook.com
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Indie 103.1/Jonesy's Jukebox  (Read 4779 times)

kcneon

• City Elder
    • Resurrection Neon
Indie 103.1/Jonesy's Jukebox
« on: April 21, 2004, 11:26:57 AM »

I'm curious who has tried out Indie 103fm in L.A.  They got quite a bit of press since taking to the airwaves.  I hadn't listened to it until I heard that Robert & Peter from BRMC were going to DJ for a couple hours.  It was so lowkey and unprofessional--I loved it.  

Admittedly it's a crapshoot--I may tune in and hear nothing I care for, but I have become addicted to Jonesy's Jukebox.  Steve Jones is blatant and honest & makes for a great hour of listening.  Anyone else given it a whirl?

jason

• Summer Resident
« Reply #1 on: April 30, 2004, 03:09:36 PM »

Its a pretty good station for the most part. I think there is only one DJ right now, that guy from the Sex Pistols, and when he hosts its pretty free form. He was talking to David Bowie the other day about how radio used to be and how Rodney on the Rock changed radio.
url]http://64.30.206.180[/url]

DC

• Summer Resident
« Reply #2 on: April 30, 2004, 03:59:33 PM »

I listened to it at work for a couple of days.  It's great to hear some older "indie" stuff, but they seemed to have a limited roster of bands and songs, mainly the more popular stuff (both old and new).  I heard X's White Girl three times in the two days, and a couple of other older songs multiple times.  It's great to hear the older stuff, but the station has a lot of room to broaden their playlist.

Here are a couple of sample playlists:

10:00 AM BAD RELIGION Sorrow
10:08 AM PEARL JAM Glorified
10:10 AM TALKING HEADS This Must Be The Place ...
10:24 AM STEREO MC'S Step It Up
10:26 AM SMITHS Ask
10:30 AM INTERPOL Obstacle 1
10:34 AM RAMONES Rock'n'Roll Radio
10:38 AM ENGLISH BEAT Best Friend
10:42 AM NIRVANA Come As You Are
10:44 AM U2 Bad
10:50 AM POLYPHONIC SPREE Light And Day
10:54 AM MARLEY, BOB/WAILERS Three Little Birds
10:56 AM RADIOHEAD Where I End And You Begin

5:03 PM WHITE STRIPES Hello Operator
5:05 PM U2 Unforgettable Fire
5:09 PM MICHAEL ANDREWS Mad World (Ft. Gary Jules)
5:13 PM SOCIAL DISTORTION Story Of My Life
5:17 PM X White Girl
5:21 PM SMITHS What Difference Does It Make
5:25 PM NOFX Franco Un-American
5:27 PM STONE TEMPLE PILOTS Plush
5:33 PM PIXIES Velouria
5:37 PM POLICE So Lonely
5:41 PM IMA ROBOT Dynomite
5:43 PM FOO FIGHTERS I'll Stick Around
5:51 PM ATMOSPHERE Trying To Find A Balance
5:55 PM BEASTIE BOYS Rhymin & Stealin
5:59 PM NIRVANA Come As You Are

chooch

« Reply #3 on: April 30, 2004, 04:06:20 PM »

Steve Jones......god I've been laughing along with this guy for over 20 years...He is something of a cult figure for me and my mates.  Has he still got his cockney swagger......I will certainly have a listen

redbobsled

• Procrastinator Extraordinaire!
  • City Elder
« Reply #4 on: May 01, 2004, 12:21:34 AM »

Yeah, I listen to it in the car when there's nothing good on KCRW.  It's not bad - but they seem to have a really limited list of new stuff which they play and what limited amount of new stuff they have they play to death - and they don't play it nearly as quickly as 97X.  Like, right now (well not this second), they play the Yeah Yeah Yeah's Maps constantly.  And they play WAY too much Beastie Boys, Nirvana, and Public Enemy for my taste.  It's OK in a pinch - but it doesn't even come close to comparing to 97X.  But it's better than 98.7, which I used to listen to in the car (the one Ryan Seacrest used to be on in the afternoon).

But last night they were playing stuff by queensryche, so I have no idea.  I don't listen often enough to be able to discern their schedule.
Pages: [1]   Go Up