Randomville

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
GigaBook.com
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 ... 236 237 [238] 239 240 ... 242   Go Down

Author Topic: Random music thoughts  (Read 254481 times)

daytime drinking

• City Elder
Re: Random music thoughts
« Reply #3555 on: October 27, 2018, 02:57:11 PM »

yeah that's it.  i was always surprised the ramones weren't harder.  i guess punk rockers are just a bunch of pussies
poach eggs, not elephants

Zafer Kaya

• City Elder
« Reply #3556 on: November 14, 2018, 02:12:31 PM »

Do you feel like a chain store, practically floored?

I JUST GOT THIS JOKE.

Dan

• Tetris Master
  • City Elder
« Reply #3557 on: November 15, 2018, 11:41:15 AM »

I JUST GOT THIS JOKE.

A few years ago someone pointed out to me the joke element of Blink-182's album, "Take Off Your Pants and Jacket" which I didn't get until that point.

c-lando

• Bacon Research & Sparkle Development/Cr0ndog Millionaire
  • City Elder
« Reply #3558 on: November 16, 2018, 08:36:45 AM »

I JUST GOT THIS JOKE.

I still don't get it.

But, Dan. Oooooooooooooooh, Dan.
Once the bacon's done, all pants are off.  
PANTS PANTS REVOLUTION!!!

foolsgold

• City Elder
  • To the East...Blackward
    • Teabaggin'
« Reply #3559 on: November 16, 2018, 01:19:28 PM »

It's a reference to how stores will often group like products together.  Also, the rows are designed to facilitate easy access while also putting the most commonly purchased products in the back of the store so the likelihood of a consumer picking up something they pass on the way to get, let's say the milk, increases.  Oooh, they're having a sale on ice cream, might as well get that too.

On another note, everytime I hear "Can I Kick It" by Tribe, I get happy.  Then, Q-Tip spits, what very well might be, the most awful bars in rap history by a legit performer and it ruins it for me.  I listen to it, cringe and then forget about it until the next time I hear it and am happy all over again.
Why there's all these ugly mans on my TV screen?  I wrap my head with foil so I don't catch them beams.

Zafer Kaya

• City Elder
« Reply #3560 on: November 16, 2018, 05:05:32 PM »

Wait, what?!?  Really?  That's crazy talk!

That's the second best Q-Tip verse ever.  Q-Tip has never really been that much of a poet.  His style is more like stream-of-consciousness and intentionally silly at times.  Which often does not work.  Actually, it mostly doesn't work to be honest.  It's mostly just sort of an acquired taste that you never really love but just learn to sort of ignore.  You're just like, hey cool voice and rhythm and try not to listen to closely beyond that.

Can I Kick It is actually the exception to me.  I love "Before Tribe, did you really know what live was?"  Granted, the rest of the verse is mostly kind of silly but it fits with the vibe of the song.

You know whose verse sucks horribly?  Phife's.  He's the one who usually brings some meaning to the table but he really drops the ball on this one. I actually turn the volume down when that verse starts so I don't have to hear "Feel free, drop your pants, check your hay-ur/Do you like the garments that we way-ur?"  That's just... ugh.

Like, compare that to We The People.  I can't even listen to that song because Q-Tips rhymes on that are so bad.  OTOH I love Phife's verse, aside from the terrible Tony Romo/Witten line.  It almost but not quite rescues the song to a level of respectability.  So if I do listen to it which I mostly avoid if possible, I do the opposite of Can I Kick it, and turn it off for Q-Tip, and then turn it back up when Phife comes on.

foolsgold

• City Elder
    • Teabaggin'
« Reply #3561 on: November 19, 2018, 09:13:56 AM »

I guess that “wipe your feet on the rhythm rug,” “fits like a snug glove,” and “Tribe flies high like a dove” release a groan from my guts.  It’s more of an involuntary reaction more than some indication of my supposed taste.  Mostly, that reaction come anytime someone rhymes love with dove.  I tend to listen to music in a similar fashion as you do when you tune out their rhymes.  I hear what they’re saying but it’s more a rhythmic /tone sort of thing that almost becomes another instrument.  That’s why, when I looked at the full lyrics for Can I Kick It, I found myself thinking “Oh, that’s what he’s saying.”  That happens a lot and even if I have heard a song like Kick It at least 100 times in my life, I still only know maybe 60% of the lyrics.  The Stone Roses debut is my favorite album, yet I still am finding that I’ve either misheard his lyrics or that I never thought about what he was saying.  However, when I hear a love, dove, above lyric (or something like it), it sticks out like a fart in an elevator. 
Why there's all these ugly mans on my TV screen?  I wrap my head with foil so I don't catch them beams.

Zafer Kaya

• City Elder
« Reply #3562 on: November 19, 2018, 10:59:18 AM »

Yeah, a lot of times I just make up my own lyrics. 

Not conciously.  I just go with whatever words sound like what the singer/rapper is saying on surface listen without thinking too much if they make sense.  And since I don't really care, those just become the lyrics in my head.  I get embarrassed quite often when singing along with the radio and I forget that what I'm singing is totally wrong.

Which would explain why I never got the Blur joke.  I just never thought about it.  I was also amazed to find out recently that the lyrics to Sappy actually ARE "You're in a Laundry Room."  I thought I had pretty much made that up.  I can never tell what Cobain is singing, nor do I care as I don't really like Nirvana. That made me curious so I looked up some other Nirvana lyrics because it would have been cool if I'd had their lyrics right all along. 

But it turns out he's not singing "Business is a hoot/tangerines in bloom" after all.  And it's "memoria" and not "memorabilia" which is pretty much the only Nirvana lyric I thougt I had correct.

daytime drinking

• City Elder
« Reply #3563 on: November 24, 2018, 12:51:28 PM »

when you start to nitpick about the tribe you get kinda bummed
poach eggs, not elephants

Zafer Kaya

• City Elder
« Reply #3564 on: November 26, 2018, 04:00:50 PM »

For real, People's Instinctive Travels... would not make my list of top 10 rap albums of 1989-90. 

But then again, neither would BDP, De La Soul, PE, Erik B and Rakim or probably a dozen or more legendary albums and/or artists.

1989-90 was just THAT good.  I don't think there will ever be a genre with a golden period like that ever again in my lifetime.  People talk about grunge, but a lot of grunge was not that good, and it also unfolded over a longer period of time.  Maybe some year between '48-'52 with bebop is the only thing that could come close but I don't know enough about that timeline.

Even the "bad" albums like Fear of a Black Planet are kind of unfairly low on my list.  I'm not a huge Fear of a Black Planet fan only because it is vastly inferior to It Takes a Nation of Millions to Hold Us Back.  But 99.999% of albums are vastly inferior to Nation of Millions.  Let the Rhythm Hit 'Em is a fine album.  It just sucks compared to Paid in Full. 

So yeah, it's a bit nitpicky to find flaws in Can I Kick It (although Left My Wallet in El Segundo and Bonita Applebum are both better in my book).  But I also think it's fair.  It's just unfortunate for Tribe Called Quest (but great for me) that the competition is so stiff from that time period that you can't help but notice even the most minor of flaws.   

foolsgold

• City Elder
    • Teabaggin'
« Reply #3565 on: November 29, 2018, 04:31:54 PM »

I listened to Suede's So Young just now and realized I had no idea what he's yelping at the beginning of the song. I've been singing it "speak up, star, to walk up, fever" for 25 years. I looked at the real lyrics online and like mine better. Sorry Brett.

Dan

• Tetris Master
  • City Elder
« Reply #3566 on: November 29, 2018, 04:33:56 PM »

We discovered last week that MC Hammer has been blessed with "two hype feet" rather than what we thought were "two fly feet."

I still think two fly feet is better.

Kwyjibo

• Bringing Grumpy Back
  • City Elder
« Reply #3567 on: November 30, 2018, 08:36:39 PM »

I have a really blurry picture of me and MC Hammer at CVG.  If you squint real hard you can almost tell it's him.
Baby, check this out, I've got something to say.  Man, it's so loud in here.

twentyshots

• City Elder
« Reply #3568 on: December 14, 2018, 03:28:35 PM »

bongo hard or bongo home

Zafer Kaya

• City Elder
« Reply #3569 on: December 27, 2018, 04:56:09 PM »

I have discovered to my horror and annoyance that I have an aptitude for playing smooth jazz.  I'm not saying I'm awesome at smooth jazz.  I'm pretty mediocre at best.  I'm just saying I'm surprisingly good for someone who never tried to do it.  And because I'm exceptionally bad at jazz, blues, rock, and every other kind of music, I think I might be better at smooth jazz than anything else.

I don't know why.  I think it's because I like melodies and general "sweetness" in music and there's a lot of that.  Also, I like  genre tropes and learning new genres but I suck at all of them and I grow disinterested when it actually gets hard.  I just know enough to fake it, poorly.  And that's kind of what smooth jazz is, or at least how I play it.  You fake a little low-grade crappy funk, a little blues, a little soul, a little jazz, over a simple tune.  But I fucking hate smooth jazz.  Not just the kind of crappy ass elevator smooth jazz everyone hates.  Even the legit stuff that most guitarists like, like Larry Carlton or Jeff Golub. 

But what happened is, I was jamming with some people and I played something kinda smooth-jazz-ish that I wasn't really thinking about.  But it turns out those guys all like smooth jazz or at least don't hate it so they got excited and started playing smooth jazz and I was stuck so I just winged something over the top of it, and unfortunately it was pretty good.

But I cannot play it for more than 3 minutes before I get filled with Hulk-like rage.  The other people think that's hilarious so they're always trying to sneak in smooth jazz stuff into a jam session.  It usually ends up with me screaming at them childishly but it doesn't seem to bother them.

The funny thing is, someone recorded us doing that and when they played it back I had to agree that it was actually kind of an interesting piece.  I would not want to listen to a whole album of it, but as a standalone kind of concept song it was definitely unique and somewhat fascinating and draws you in.  It's definitely the most emotive thing I've ever played.   The song starts with some pleasant, if generic smooth jazz but you can hear it start turning at like 30 seconds in.  Subtle at first, the notes are the same but they're more and more frequently being hit in kind of a sarcastic way so they are biting rather than smooth.  The drummer starts playing differently too.  By 1:30 the change is obvious and by 2:00 the whole thing is just dripping with disdain and by the end it's just kind of a wall of shoegaze/metal/noise distortion.  Then it ends with about 12 bars where the guitar just drops out because I am refusing to play but the rest of the band goes over-the-top with midnight storm corniness and you hear me going "FUUUUUUUUUUUUUARRRRGGGGHHH" in the background right as it fades out.

I have to regretfully say it is the greatest piece I have ever played on by some distance.
Pages: 1 ... 236 237 [238] 239 240 ... 242   Go Up