Randomville

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
GigaBook.com
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 ... 241 242 [243] 244 245   Go Down

Author Topic: Random music thoughts  (Read 280917 times)

euro60

• City Elder
Re: Random music thoughts
« Reply #3630 on: July 28, 2019, 11:57:00 PM »

I don't buy CDs much anymore, let alone CD boxes, but I did in the last month:

I bought the 18 CD/2 DVD Tangerine Dream box set "In search of Hades: The Virgin Recordings 1973-1979" for about $135 from the Amazon UK. If you are into Tangerine Dream, you'll understand. If you are not, I can't explain it. Absolutely love this box set, and worth every penny of it.

Also bought, on a whim really, the 10 CD box set "Woodstock - Back to the Garden - 50th Anniversary Experience" for $110 from Amazon. Some amazing musical moments, and glad I have that, but the packaging left me underwhelmed as compared to the Tangerine Dream box set, which is just over the top.

Along the way I also bought Thom Yorke's latest CD "ANIMA", more electronic noodling from Radiohead's frontman. Surely not for everybody, But I happen to LOVE it. Great follow-up to "Tomorrow's Modern Boxes"

I also bought the soundtrack to the recent "Apollo 11" movie. More electronic noodling that I love. The composer used only instruments available in 1969.

And I also bought the latest Cincinnati Pops CD called Voyage, to celebrate the 50th anniversary of Apollo 11. A delightful collection of symphonic tracks about "space", but sadly not including Neil Armstrong's last public appearance when he read the Lincoln Portrait with the Cincinnati Pops in 2009 at Riverbend. I was at that performance along with (sold out) 20,000 crowd.
"A blind faith in authority is the worst enemy of truth" - Albert Einstein (1901)

The Cincinnati Symphony Orchestra is one of Cincinnati's underappreciated treasures

MissKitty

• Hooray Beer!
  • City Elder
« Reply #3631 on: July 29, 2019, 08:54:04 AM »

We played the hell out of TD's Phaedra at the record store. I think their Virgin output is some of their best work, but I do harbor a soft spot for the soundtrack to Miracle Mile.

The record store had a sweet vintage Marantz 4400 receiver with a built-in oscilloscope and of all the music we played through that receiver, Tangerine Dream's music LOOKED fantastic on that oscilloscope. I mean of course it sounded fantastic, too, but we could happily watch the musical wavelengths on that thing all day.

The reason Miracle Mile holds such a warm place for me is that when the song "Running Out of Time" came on, the oscilloscope wavelengths actually LOOKED like a man running. We were totally like "whoa" when we saw that. And that LP came out in 1989, long after oscilloscopes had disappeared from stereo equipment. But that blew our tiny little minds. Did the band do that on purpose? I may never know, but man, what a revelation it was!
Duct tape can't fix stupid.

Zafer Kaya

• City Elder
« Reply #3632 on: July 29, 2019, 11:07:24 AM »

Are you ready for me.... Ralph?

euro60

• City Elder
« Reply #3633 on: July 29, 2019, 12:25:38 PM »

We played the hell out of TD's Phaedra at the record store. I think their Virgin output is some of their best work, but I do harbor a soft spot for the soundtrack to Miracle Mile.

On the box set, John Peele introduces Tangerine Dream at a (previously unreleased and in pristine audio quality) 1974 show, in which he gushes how much he loves Phaedra. Among the many, many previously unreleased stuff on this box, it contains 2 CDs worth of outtakes from the Phaedra recording sessions. According to the liner notes, the band essentially jammed for hours upon hours upon hours, hoping to "hit it" at some point. That, they did, and then some.

I essentially abandoned TD in the mid-80s (not long after they left Virgin). Cool story about Miracle Mile's oscilloscope, though!
"A blind faith in authority is the worst enemy of truth" - Albert Einstein (1901)

The Cincinnati Symphony Orchestra is one of Cincinnati's underappreciated treasures

Zafer Kaya

• City Elder
« Reply #3634 on: July 29, 2019, 12:55:02 PM »

The dream is always the same.  I'm at some wannabe trendy boutique, only it's not my trendy boutique.  It's someone else's trendy boutique.  I'm looking around for the people, but there's no one there because no one ever goes to stupid boutiques.  Then I hear some music faintly playing, and from a distance it sounds like it might be interesting.  So now I'm getting enthusiastic about this dream.  I try to find where it's playing but I'm surrounded by rows of white clothes and glossy white knick-knacks and Nagel prints and shit.  Finally, I get to the stereo and... I find I just wasted a goddamn half hour listening to Jean Michel Jarre, or Tangerine Dream or Radiohead.  I just made a terrible mistake.

euro60

• City Elder
« Reply #3635 on: August 05, 2019, 11:54:31 PM »

absolutely amazing to me that Woodstock 50 is not happening. So much bungling, and worse. That the greatest music festival ever in the world cannot get a proper 50th anniversary of any kind just blows the mind.

Some years ago (and sorry if I have told this story before), I found out that one of the lawyers at our law firm was actually THERE. I was blown away, as nothing that I know about him would've given this away. Anyway, last week, I took him out to lunch, I would pay for our lunch (at Taste of Belgium) and he would give me the full download of his experience. His story:

"I was a 22 yr. at Xavier. A friend suggested we should go to Woodstock (even though we didn't have tickets). I said, sure why not. We took my dad's late 60's Falcon station wagon, picked up some more friends, and off we went. We got to Woodstock, or at least close by, and there were people EVERYWHERE. We eventually abandoned our car. We had some canned food with us, which was a life saver, because as it turned out there was little to not much food to be bought.Then there was an ice-cream stand. I was in line and then someone said "this belongs to the people!" and he handed me a box of ice-cream and off I went with lots of ice-cream. I enjoyed the first day of music, and then the rain started falling. Not sure how I got through the first night. Drugs were everywhere. The second day of music was great, but more rain. I lost track of my friends and eventually at night fell asleep on the grounds, only to be awakened by this super loud band, which was the Who. I stayed up the rest of the night, eventually to see Jefferson Airplane start at 7 am or so (this now being Sunday morning). After that set, I needed to get back to Cincinnati in time for Monday morning and somehow found my friends, and we left Woodstock, so we didn't see the 3rd day, which of course ended with Jimi Hendrix's set on Monday morning."

Wow, just wow. I recently bought the 10CD box set "Woodstock - Back to the Garden - the 50th Anniversary Experience" and the music is just a delight. So many highlights! Wish I could've been there (but I was just 9 at that time, and in Belgium.)

The summer of 69 was a monumental time in America's history: the senseless and shocking Charlie Manson/Sharon Tate murders (in June), Apollo 11's first man on the moon (in July), which I watched on TV in Belgium, and then Woodstock (in August). Wow.

Zafer Kaya

• City Elder
« Reply #3636 on: August 06, 2019, 01:52:08 AM »

That Woodstock story sounds horrible.

It’s weird that you live long enough for things in your lifetime to become legendary, and then I feel like all legends are overhyped.

Like people ask me what it was like when Nirvana hit the charts.  It was like... nothing. I was in college.  One day everyone was playing Bob Marley non-stop.  Then it was Nirvana.  If it hadn’t been Nirvana, it would have been Red Hot Chili Peppers.  Later it was Tom Petty.  Nirvana was just the immensely popular band at the time.

I saw Radiohead on like their second or third ever US date.   They were okay.  Just like any other small, new, indie band that doesn’t quite have enough material to fill out a whole set. I had no clue they would they would turn into what they sis.  Neither did they.  It was just a show.

IMO, everything I have ever seen or lived through has been a disappointment.

I am not trying to belittle your story, euro60.  I think it’s cool that you get so enthusiastic about music.  Whether it’s someone else’s experience at Woodstock, or a 90’s band or a 70’s band. 

People I meet are usually shocked to find out I am into music because I don’t talk about it much nor do I sing a lot.  If someone else is in the car, I usually turn off my radio.  I think my favorite album ever is Dark Side of the Moon, but I am less into that album than a lot of people are into their third favorite Album from their fourth favorite band.  I think one reason I was into alternative rock was their the radio station set lists were a lot bigger and had more diverse playlists.  I get bored listening to the same thing over and over.

It’s almost like I don’t even actually enjoy music.  I just need to have it to survive.
« Last Edit: August 06, 2019, 01:58:57 AM by Zafer Kaya »

Butter

• Suffering from early-onset douchiness
  • City Elder
« Reply #3637 on: August 06, 2019, 07:19:28 AM »

People I meet are usually shocked to find out I am into music because I don’t talk about it much nor do I sing a lot.  If someone else is in the car, I usually turn off my radio. 

I also do this.  People were surprised when somehow I got to be known as the indie rock guy for a period after a couple of my co-workers and I got into a discussion one day and I was basically trashing their favorite bands and talking about how I enjoyed REM, Radiohead, etc.  You know, those indie-est of indie bands.  Then people started asking me about it, and I REALLY didn't want to talk about it.  Like they found it to be a novelty because I present as a stuffy white guy.  And I am a stuffy white guy, who doesn't sing along with songs unless I am alone or at a concert.  I had someone comment "I thought you'd be really into REO Speedwagon or something."  What am I supposed to say to that?

c-lando

• Bacon Research & Sparkle Development/Cr0ndog Millionaire
  • City Elder
« Reply #3638 on: August 06, 2019, 12:59:28 PM »

People I meet are usually shocked to find out I am into music because I don’t talk about it much nor do I sing a lot.  If someone else is in the car, I usually turn off my radio. 

I also do this. 

As do I. I don't want to tell you about the bands I like. I definitely don't want to play them for you and watch your face get all contorted. Go learn stuff on your own time, Sonny.
Once the bacon's done, all pants are off.  
PANTS PANTS REVOLUTION!!!

Zafer Kaya

• City Elder
« Reply #3639 on: August 06, 2019, 03:32:23 PM »

Yeah, it's very weird.  I don't know exactly why, but I will avoid almost any discussion of music if I can.  It's some combination of music feeling very personal to me, and that I'm a huge snobby jerk although in a weird way.

I don't feel like you are a good person or you and I have some kind of a connection just because we might listen to the same music.  I really don't care what a certain song means to you, I only care what that song means to me.

I am generally turned off by people who self-identify as "music fans" because I feel like all they want to do is show me all the vinyl they collected or the shows they went to.  Like they don't really care about the music so much as being seen as a music lover because it's cool or classy or something. Maybe I'm secretly competitive, I don't know?

Like the "This song will change your life" thing from Garden State that everyone loves totally pisses me off.  The Shins never changed anyone's life.  It's just a fucking song, if you are looking to songs for life direction I suspect there is something wrong with you.  And even if you are looking to songs for life direction there is nothing inherently objectively great about New Slang that it should change your life but not some other song.  And if New Slang really did change your life, good for you.  What makes you presumptuous enough to think it'll do the same for me?  Don't tell me what to do or think.

I admit this is unfair.  There are people who over the years have convinced they do indeed have deep and permanent connections to music and feel incredibly strongly about it.  But I mean, it's pretty tricky.  Because I don't get it.  I don't think that way, so I'll always kinda be biased towards thinking you're just being fake.

If I WAS going to wax poetic about music or reveal my secret romantic feelings about it, I guess what I would say is that the whole magic of music is that it's nothing.  It's just sounds.  It's completely insignificant on any logical level.

Like so much indie shit is just four people who aren't particularly good at their instruments and none of whom are particularly genius in their lyrics or songwriting abilities get together and create something that for no reason at all creates a temporary feeling of pleasure for me.  And yet a week later, I might be completely sick of that song and some other random song will replace it.  The complete arbitrariness of the whole process is what amuses me.  If you talk like there's a REASON why this is supposed to happen or try and explain it, you spoil the whole magic trick.  I LIKE that if you completely erased my memory and I forgot all of my favorite songs it wouldn't bother me at all.  Because there's a zillion songs out there and more being made all the time, so in a year or two I'd just have a whole new set of favorite songs.

There are certain people I can talk to about music for hours.  But the ground rule is kind of like I will have zero respect for your taste in music.  If I think your choice of song sucks, I will not only tell you so, but I will mock you and ruthlessly stereotype you for it.  And I want people to do the same for me.  It's like arguing about sports teams.  It's fun, but only when both sides know it's totally BS and makes zero difference in the long run, and it's laughable to think someone is better because they agree with your favorite player, or that any arguments can be resolved or even to try reach "compromise."  The whole fun of it is that it just doesn't matter at all.  The moment either of us starts actually taking any of it seriously, the conversation must end.

And the more someone identifies as a "music fan," generally the less possible it is to have that sort of conversation.

When I was younger I used to be more socially musical.  But even then, it was like if I made someone a mixtape it was more "Hey, you might not have heard these songs because they aren't on the radio" or "Here's a bunch of songs I know you like and I've just taken the time to string them all together for you."  I never viewed a mixtape exchange as a way to reveal myself or an exchange of feelings.

I also used to have some desire for people to hear songs I wrote, or to hear me play guitar.  That seemed to be the point of writing songs or playing guitar.  Now I don't care at all.  I have songs that I wrote that are in my head more or less permanently but I've never written them down or put them on tape and I don't care if anyone ever hears them or not.  I used to have guitars all over the house, just so I could always pick one up and play it.  Now I have all my guitars in places guests won't see because I HATE HATE HATE it when someone sees a guitar and asks me to play something.  I'm not your fucking trained monkey.  And don't even THINK about picking up MY guitar and playing me your crappy shit.

Cockney Rebel

• I don't have an accent. You do.
  • Global Moderator
  • City Elder
  • Art is impossible to define. Shitty art is not.
« Reply #3640 on: August 06, 2019, 05:27:45 PM »

I try not to talk too much about music, mainly because there's so little of it I like beyond 2005 and I don't necessarily want to be "that old guy" dissing what young whippersnappers enjoy listening to.

I do boastfully play "Concert Poker" with people who try to engage me in conversation before discovering I worked in the industry for all those years.

Them: "I saw Oasis when they came to America"
Me: "I saw The Clash twice in one day, at the afternoon performance I became a roadie for them for a minute"

Them: "I saw Bowie on the Reality Tour"
Me: "I saw Bowie on the 2nd half of the Ziggy Stardust Tour"

Them: "I saw Ziggy Marley"
Me: ............... (readers will work out where this is going)

Yes, I am - admittedly - a bit of a cunt for this. Its a little bit snobbery, a little bit "what the fuck do YOU know kid, I was in the fucking trenches"

Opulence. I has it.

Zafer Kaya

• City Elder
« Reply #3641 on: August 06, 2019, 08:11:08 PM »

Yeah, but that’s actually interesting in a beyond the music way.

I feel like that’s the difference between someone saying, “I’m a great cook.” And “I once owned a restaurant.”  If you once owned a restaurant than yeah, I totally believe food changed your life.  And you probably have some interesting tales and perspectives.  It really was a lifestyle for you.

The one shitty humblebrag I will sometimes say when someone is being annoying about their vinyl collection is “I think I have spent over $20k on CD’s in my lifetime, and I gave them all away.”

Just kinda encapsulates all my feelings.  Like yeah, back before Spotify it wasn’t so easy. And CD’s have never been all that collectible, and that is highlights by the fact I just gave mine away.  It was never about the collection, just wanted to hear the songs and that was the only way. And a bit of “Holy shit what an idiot this guy spent that much on music.”  Especially if I have that many CD’s you know I bought a lot of horrible music in my time.

What can someone say to that? You either get it immediately or you won’t.

I don’t like talking to music to young people because I think they should hate my music or be indifferent.  If you tell me you like The Cure I Just think that is kind of lame.  Shit is 30 years old.  I wouldn’t have walked up to someone in my day and been like “I love Paul Revere and the Raiders.”  Yes, I saw them in concert, but you shouldn’t.  Go find your own music.  Not because I think those bands are “mine” but because it’s time for something new.  Keep the music train rolling.  I have retired from music.  The bands of my era should retire.  In a healthy music environment, we should be yesterday’s news.

euro60

• City Elder
« Reply #3642 on: August 06, 2019, 11:42:06 PM »

I have some of those same perspectives. I mean, who among young people at, say, my law firm, want to hear about my early concert experiences back in Belgium when I saw so many bands that are now legendary? None.

I posted the Woodstock story here because we are "among family" and if you guys don't enjoy it, then who will?

Of course my perspective is a bit different with my daughter actually being in a band that does things (on a small scale of course). So we talk about music, and I am surprised time and again about the level of interest about bands back in the day.

As someone earlier posted, going to concerts is best enjoyed as a personal experience. Especially at big festivals like Coachella, Bonnaroo, Loolapalloza, which I attended for years (but stopped after 2011). I'm really not interested in talking to anyone. I just wanted to roam and do my thing. Not that I go to shows anymore, I've seen every band I ever wanted to see (do I really want to see Hot Chip again? no). My concert going is pretty much now seeing my daughter's band. Super excited to tag along with them for a week in the UK in early September.

Zafer Kaya

• City Elder
« Reply #3643 on: August 07, 2019, 12:33:53 AM »

I like when people post about music here.  You guys are the only people I talk music with, so you are my outlet.  Plus, we’ve all been through the trenches, some more than others but when you are 40+ and still talking about music, then you get it.  And I think we have pretty much all trashed each other’s tastes plenty of time so we can all laugh about it and stay fam.

And I really like that Woodstock story because it was told so matter of factly.  You had to sort of cajole him into telling the story, it wasn’t something he bragged about.  Like it wasn’t “OH SHIT DUDE I SAW SANTANA AND IT BLEW MY MIND!!”  It was about the ice cream he had.  He Couldn’t stay the show because he had to work.  He lost his friends and thought he was screwed for a bit.  He got woken up by some loud band. 

The story is not so different from concerts we’ve been to or road trips we’ve been on.  It could have been me at lollapalooza.  The mind blowing part is that he was woken up by The Who.  The guy he missed was Hendrix.  Those legends being almost sort of incidental to the story amuses me.

I’m a generation or so younger, so to me Woodstock is legendary.  To that dude, it was just like, a college road trip.  It squares with how I feel now that I am old enough to have lived thorough storied events.  Like the Nirvana thing.  I remember my roommate bought Nevermind and never played it, but whenever my friends come over they’d always put it on.  I remember there being dozens of copies of In Utero at the used CD bin because it was a Columbia House selection. That’s all. Kind of boring.  Not really worthy of the hype surrounding it.

Butter

• Suffering from early-onset douchiness
  • City Elder
« Reply #3644 on: August 07, 2019, 07:16:46 AM »

When I was younger I used to be more socially musical.  But even then, it was like if I made someone a mixtape it was more "Hey, you might not have heard these songs because they aren't on the radio"

Yes, I was always strongly motivated to do mixtapes because I just wanted to share music I liked with others.  I did secretly want validation that all these songs were awesome, but as I've aged I've realized that hitting that sweet spot of someone else's taste is just not going to happen most of the time.  If I'm listening to someone else's musical selections, 1 out of 5 hit rate is pretty good.  The rest of it I'm not going to like, or they're not going to like the selections of mine.

The one shitty humblebrag I will sometimes say when someone is being annoying about their vinyl collection is “I think I have spent over $20k on CD’s in my lifetime, and I gave them all away.”

I have hundreds of CDs in a closet somewhere in my house.  I don't know why I'm keeping them at this point.  It probably won't mean much to me to get rid of them. 

The main reason I don't have more and never went to more concerts is because I'm cheap.  I missed REM's last swing nearby because tickets were $100 and I wasn't making any money 10 years ago.  C-Fan and I really just started going to concerts.  I always viewed it like drinking... it's a hobby I enjoyed, but I didn't want to spend too much money on it because money is hard to make.  I have softened that stance in the last 5 years.  We travel a LOT now, because what am I doing sitting at home and hoarding money for.  This weekend we are going to see Ben Folds and Violent Femmes in Indianapolis because Ben Folds is a C-Fan favorite.  Last weekend we saw Beck and Spoon for the first time.  Spoon was awesome.  Cemented them as a personal favorite.  But when I think about how many more bands I would see in concert, it's a short list.  Maybe 25-30.

But I'm old now.  If I'm going to a show, there better be a seat.  I can't be messing with this lawn shit.  I guess that makes me not a true music fan to a lot of people because I just never cared about supporting the "scene" and going to shows just because there were shows or I might know a guy in the band.
Pages: 1 ... 241 242 [243] 244 245   Go Up