Randomville

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
GigaBook.com
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 245   Go Down

Author Topic: Random music thoughts  (Read 280826 times)

kcneon

• City Elder
    • Resurrection Neon
Re: Random music thoughts
« Reply #90 on: November 28, 2007, 12:39:30 PM »

Ian Brown cracks me up.  Heaven forbid someone messes up his Christmas dinner!
from the Manchester Evening News

Right now, he's looking forward to his arena tour, which brings him back home for two dates at Manchester Central. But, as a family man, he's also really looking forward to Christmas.

What's he planning? "My wish list is just to have a happy day with the kids. I'm getting in all the batteries that I need.

"James Brown died last year and it really took the shine right off my Christmas dinner.

"I'm just hoping Mohammed Ali hangs in there this year 'cos I don't want my Christmas dinner ruined again."

Rafe

• Bit of a cunt
  • City Elder
« Reply #91 on: December 17, 2007, 04:55:30 PM »

RVA alert. I've just stumbled upon this myspace page:

http://www.myspace.com/brilliantcorners

On the media player, click on "Brian Rix", listen, and enjoy. Finding this is my musical highlight of 2007.

[listens to song]It's 1988 all over again, I'm getting served in pubs, I have a wicked bob, Girls fancy me, I'm still brilliant at Rugby and I'm the only kid at school who cares about Dumptruck, Public Enemy and Sarah Records. I'm still shit at maths though.[/listens to song]
Am Meer

matt

• Citizen
    • Every Issue Presents Itself
« Reply #92 on: December 18, 2007, 07:52:47 AM »

Man, I totally forgot about them!  I remember shopping at Camelot Music at the mall in the early-mid 90's, when CD's were taking over from cassettes and Rough Trade & other distributors were unloading all of their costly imports into the cut-out bins.  There were a bunch of bands that I never heard of but they were all marked with the same stickers indicating that they were from the same batch of cut-outs, and they were only marked for fiddy cent or a dollar, so I bought them by the bag load.  Somebody Up There was the only one that I ever heard & never really pursued them any further.  I'm curious about Hooked, though.  Sounds like it could be a sleeper.
There is no such thing as a dirty word. Nor is there a word so powerful, that it's going to send the listener to the lake of fire upon hearing it.
-- Frank Zappa

rva

« Reply #93 on: December 18, 2007, 12:25:19 PM »

Every time I hear the Dandy Warhols now, all I can think about is that scene where the bassist complains about how she always buys the blow for the band and no one ever shares.

Rafe-- I never heard that before.  It's pretty classic-sounding UK stuff from that scene though, isn't it?  I like it.

rva

« Reply #94 on: January 02, 2008, 01:36:53 PM »

I hate that Paramore song so much that I turned on the radio today and was like "Thank God, it's just 'Hey Delilah."

I just don't get it.  I've read articles where they're supposed to be "real" punks and the "Anti-Avril Lavigne" but to me they're exactly Avril Lavigne.  That song is like a perfect mixture of the most annoying things of the most annoying trends in rock over the last ten years.  The whining of emo, the musicianship of punk, the poseur-y post-Alanis faux grrrl rocker, and the  screamy over-emoting from American Idol.

Bronzetree

• Punching Bag
  • City Elder
« Reply #95 on: January 02, 2008, 08:26:28 PM »

I actually dig that tune. I've been playing it for what seems like forever now. Weird to me that it's only really been hitting radio hard within the last month. Yeah, it is kinda Avril, but then I liked Girlfriend, so maybe I'm the wrong person for this convo...

rva

« Reply #96 on: January 02, 2008, 10:30:16 PM »

She just seems like such angry cunt.  I mean, apparently she got the dude she wanted so there's no reason to be so vindictive.  Okay, you beat out your rival.  I don't care, so please quit yelling at me.

Plus it's like "I got him where I want him?"  How is this any basis for a relationship?  Plus I read an interview with her where she's like "I really don't like to use the Lord's name in vain.  I just felt artistically this song merits it.  I want people to know I am a Christian blahblahblah"

She just sounds like the exact kind of person I hated in high school, and really the kind of person I hate now.  A stupid catfight over a guy?  How is this punk rock?  Punk rock is like "Fuck it, you can have him he's a tool.  Oh, and ANARCHY!!!"

Although I do think it's kind of cool that an independent label like Fueled by Ramen is able to churn out top 40 artists regularly.

Nate

• Kevin Durant's baby mama.
  • City Elder
  • Best Album Never Made.
    • Randomville
« Reply #97 on: January 03, 2008, 11:43:11 PM »

Didn't Paramore sign one of those deals with Live Nation or something where the label takes a percentage of ALL their earnings, whether it be touring, album sales, or merch?
Each day you have a choice - hilarity or insanity.

rva

« Reply #98 on: January 04, 2008, 12:37:11 AM »

Did they?  I don't know.  Unless Fueled by Ramen sold Live Nation the rights to the back catalog, it would still only apply to future earnings.

meh.  People somehow think switching from a traditional major label to something like Live Nation is going to fix the music industry.  It's like bands finally have the ability to create, advertise, and distribute records all on their own so they can ditch the majors, and people can't wait them to make them (and us) beholden to Ticket Master and Live Nation.  As if those companies don't suck as bad as the major labels.

You give artists only one avenue to generate profit, whoever controls access to that avenue has all the power.  And they're going to use that power to ream the artists and the fans.  It's basic economics, but it's still apparently way too complicated for most people to understand. 

rva

« Reply #99 on: January 04, 2008, 01:32:48 PM »

Pierce/Penetration Rates of Various Popular Songs in an Office Environment:  An Unscientific Study

The Fray-- How to Save a Life:  1 cubicle
James Blunt-- You're Beautiful:  >5 cubicles1
Bad House Music:  3 cubicles
Talk radio, no call-ins:  1 cubicle
Talk radio, call-in shows:  4 cubicles
Fleetwood Mac's Greatest Hits:  <1 cubicle2
Madonna-- Borderline:  2 cubicles
Sara Mclachlan: 2 cubicles
Indigo Girls-- 5 cubicles
Anything with banjos: >5 cubicles1
Comic Opera-- >5 cubicles1,3

1Maximum measurable distance
2Minimum measurable distance
3Includes sound of co-worker singing along

trixi

• Sun Bum
  • Global Moderator
  • City Elder
  • My heart belongs to Ryne Sandberg
« Reply #100 on: January 04, 2008, 03:10:36 PM »

Pierce/Penetration Rates of Various Popular Songs in an Office Environment:  An Unscientific Study

James Blunt-- You're Beautiful:  >5 cubicles1

If that was my environment, there would be 5 fewer coworkers, and lots of media-types in the area instead.  I guess it really works out that I'm completely separated from the rest of my dept.  :)
"Beware the lustful fires that burn in a librarian's heart. They can rage beyond all control."

Cockney Rebel

• I don't have an accent. You do.
  • Global Moderator
  • City Elder
  • Art is impossible to define. Shitty art is not.
« Reply #101 on: January 04, 2008, 04:56:24 PM »

I think James Blunt" is now officially cockney rhyming slang.
Opulence. I has it.

Nate

• Kevin Durant's baby mama.
  • City Elder
  • Best Album Never Made.
    • Randomville
« Reply #102 on: January 05, 2008, 02:53:23 PM »

Ah-ha, I was right.  Atlantic and Fueled By Ramen have the 360 deal with Paramore.

http://www.nytimes.com/2007/11/11/arts/music/11leed.html
Each day you have a choice - hilarity or insanity.

foolsgold

• City Elder
  • To the East...Blackward
    • Teabaggin'
« Reply #103 on: January 10, 2008, 09:08:27 AM »

There was a time, not so long ago, when I thought that Timbaland could do no wrong.  Even his weaker efforts were still pretty enjoyable, but, over Christmas, I heard One Republic.

Quite possibly the most pointless hip hop/soft rock vocal collaboration since John Mayer guested on Common's "Go."
Why there's all these ugly mans on my TV screen?  I wrap my head with foil so I don't catch them beams.

vizzah

• Self-cleaning mutant
  • City Elder
« Reply #104 on: January 10, 2008, 10:04:06 AM »

There was a time, not so long ago, when I thought that Timbaland could do no wrong.  Even his weaker efforts were still pretty enjoyable, but, over Christmas, I heard One Republic.

Quite possibly the most pointless hip hop/soft rock vocal collaboration since John Mayer guested on Common's "Go."

I'm actually quite fond of the song, but it's porobably only for personal reasons. 
In case of emergency, breakdance.
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 245   Go Up