Randomville

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
GigaBook.com
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 ... 225 226 [227] 228   Go Down

Author Topic: Random music thoughts  (Read 198628 times)

daytime drinking

• City Elder
Re: Random music thoughts
« Reply #3390 on: April 23, 2017, 11:17:14 PM »

this maggie grace chick sounds like slyvan esso.  reading the youtube comments and they're all, omg this is what music is missing.  she's so totally different.  i want to bang her. 

anybody heard of this chicano batman? 
poach eggs, not elephants

Kwyjibo

• Bringing Grumpy Back
  • City Elder
« Reply #3391 on: April 24, 2017, 10:27:28 AM »

this maggie grace chick sounds like slyvan esso.  reading the youtube comments and they're all, omg this is what music is missing.  she's so totally different.  i want to bang her. 

anybody heard of this chicano batman? 

Do you mean Maggie Rogers?  I agree her voice sounds a lot like Sylvan Esso's... I think she's got oodles more talent though.

And yes.  Was there more to that question?
Baby, check this out, I've got something to say.  Man, it's so loud in here.

daytime drinking

• City Elder
« Reply #3392 on: April 24, 2017, 02:32:55 PM »

sure.  i knew it was maggie something.  but no, there's no more to that question.  slyvan esso has been mentioned in this thread priorly
poach eggs, not elephants

Zafer Kaya

• City Elder
« Reply #3393 on: April 24, 2017, 06:30:20 PM »

Chicano Batman frustrates me.  The concept is better than the actual music.  I want to love them... I only like them.

They sound like an obscure 70's album that has remained obscure for a reason.  A couple of almost-there good tracks, a bunch more with some seeds of something good, but in the end just too much mediocrity.

Friendship (Is a Small Boat In a Storm) is sooo close to being really good that it filled me with hope that it would grow on me, or that that new album would take the next step.  So I listened Freedom is Free a bunch of times one day and... nope.  I still think they've got it in them, though.  I think they need to maybe stop being so schticky with the 70's latin soul thing and branch out a tad, but maybe this is what they want to do.

Butter

• Suffering from early-onset douchiness
  • City Elder
  • No, THIS is 41.
« Reply #3394 on: April 25, 2017, 07:41:14 AM »

Chicano Batman.  They're good.  Nothing great in there.  I really enjoyed Freedom is Free and the other one.  But nothing I am like just hitting on repeat over and over or anything.

euro60

• City Elder
« Reply #3395 on: April 27, 2017, 10:14:35 AM »

It was 10 years ago to this very day that I saw Amy Winehouse in concert at Coachella. She was just breaking big in the US, but not yet the super-mega-star she's become in the subsequent year. In those days, Coachella also wasn't yet the mega-festival it'd become some years later.

Amy played in one of the "smaller" (which was still pretty big) tents. I walked up to the very front, and couldn't have been more than 10 yards from her. She was fantastic, as was her backing band. I still have the pictures I took, with Amy's beehive. She looked great.

She'd die just 4 years later. What a waste. What a shame.

Amy's set list from Coachella 4/27/07:

1. Addicted
2. Just Friends
3. Tears Dry on Their Own
4. He Can Only Hold Her
5. Love Is a Losing Game
6. Valerie
7. Wake Up Alone
8. Back to Black
9. You Know I'm No Good
10. Me & Mr Jones
11. Rehab
"A blind faith in authority is the worst enemy of truth" - Albert Einstein (1901)

The Cincinnati Symphony Orchestra is one of Cincinnati's underappreciated treasures

euro60

• City Elder
« Reply #3396 on: May 04, 2017, 05:35:09 PM »

WNKU is turning into a religious station.  I figured we should give it a small mention at least on these boards, if not a larger one. Feel free to start a new thread if you want to.

Otherwise, I will say that I did enjoy the times when I listened to it as it provided me with a trustworthy source of new music.

So long WNKU's latest format. You'll be missed.
Latest update: WNKU refuses $5 mill. bid to 'save' the station, or does it?

http://www.wcpo.com/news/local-news/campbell-county/highland-heights/northern-kentucky-university-rejects-louisville-public-medias-5-million-bid-to-save-wnku

If you haven't yet signed the on-line petition to save WNKU but feel inclined to do so, by all means do it!!!

https://cincymusic.com/save-wnku

"A blind faith in authority is the worst enemy of truth" - Albert Einstein (1901)

The Cincinnati Symphony Orchestra is one of Cincinnati's underappreciated treasures

Kwyjibo

• Bringing Grumpy Back
  • City Elder
« Reply #3397 on: May 07, 2017, 12:32:21 AM »

What do you mean, "or does it?". Yes, they turned down LPR's $5 million offer (which was really a $3.5 million offer).
« Last Edit: May 07, 2017, 12:34:46 AM by Kwyjibo »

euro60

• City Elder
« Reply #3398 on: May 07, 2017, 10:35:33 PM »

What do you mean, "or does it?". Yes, they turned down LPR's $5 million offer (which was really a $3.5 million offer).
I mean, the official response from NKU was that the Board of Trustees hasn't voted on it yet. But I know, it will be rejected <sigh>

Kwyjibo

• Bringing Grumpy Back
  • City Elder
« Reply #3399 on: May 08, 2017, 08:39:21 AM »

I mean, the official response from NKU was that the Board of Trustees hasn't voted on it yet. But I know, it will be rejected <sigh>

I don't think it means that, they don't vote to reject, they vote to approve.  They've rejected LPR out of hand.  They haven't voted on a sale either because they don't have an offer or because they're considering something else.

euro60

• City Elder
« Reply #3400 on: May 18, 2017, 03:43:19 PM »

Chris Cornell dead at 52

Chris Cornell's death has been ruled a suicide by hanging by a medical examiner, the Associated Press reports. The Soundgarden  singer was found dead in a Detroit hotel room by police on Wednesday (May 17) night. The rock legend was 52.

Just hours before his death, Cornell performed with Soundgarden in Detroit's Fox Theatre, appearing in good spirits to those in attendance and even talking about "the next place we play" during the show. 

I don't get this at all, how one can go so quickly from a high to the lowest of low, so low that you decide to end it all?

Elsewhere the article mentions his 3 kids, ages 12 to 17. I mean, I don't know what could despair a person so badly that you conclude it's not even worth ever seeing your kids anymore?

I obviously have no insight into the guy's life at all, so I speak without knowledge of the facts. It's just bewildering, and of course sad.

Zafer Kaya

• City Elder
« Reply #3401 on: May 18, 2017, 09:48:16 PM »

Did you ever fuck something up, and feel like you're an embarrassment to everyone around you and let them down?  Like if you forgot to pick someone up when you said you would, or you said something kind of stupid that you immediately regret?  And then for a few hours, minutes or even seconds you're just like "I'm such an idiot and a horrible person."

That's kind of what depression can be like, only all the time.  So suicides don't kill themselves because they're "sad."  There's often a perverted logic to it.  You figure that you are poison and will only hurt the ones you love so you are doing them a favor.  It doesn't help that if you are depressed you often do end up acting like a jerk or shunning your loved ones so you have reason to believe you are right.

But I don't know what was up with Cornell.  He had some drug issues in the past.  I think that certain people who have struggled with strong substances just never get right even if they stay clean, not to mention whatever was in their past that drove them to drugs in the first place.  And all the baggage they carry with them from when they were doing drugs (people they met, shit they did, etc.)

Butter

• Suffering from early-onset douchiness
  • City Elder
  • No, THIS is 41.
« Reply #3402 on: May 19, 2017, 07:22:12 AM »

So many rock stars have talked about using drugs as a way to feel the high of the stage all the time.  Immediately after a show, the come down is one of the most dangerous moments for anyone with addiction... or depressive thoughts.  I am also very surprised to hear about his suicide, but also feel like if it was going to happen right after a show makes a lot of sense.

Kwyjibo

• Bringing Grumpy Back
  • City Elder
« Reply #3403 on: May 19, 2017, 11:10:42 AM »

Deion Sanders used to talk about being on top of the world on Sundays and having a gun in his mouth on Monday.  Like Butter said, the low after a high is a pretty dangerous time for someone with emotional problems.

va-vacious

• City Elder
    • http://va-vacious.livejournal.com
« Reply #3404 on: May 20, 2017, 11:30:58 PM »

Reports sound like it was a side effect of medication he was taking. How awful for everyone.
Pages: 1 ... 225 226 [227] 228   Go Up