Randomville

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
GigaBook.com
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 ... 237 238 [239] 240 241 ... 245   Go Down

Author Topic: Random music thoughts  (Read 261077 times)

twentyshots

• City Elder
Re: Random music thoughts
« Reply #3570 on: December 28, 2018, 12:44:34 AM »

ZK, i am really sorry to hear that.

i've read about this before....and what you're describing is how it starts....someone tells you smooth jazz is just misunderstood and that you should be proud you have a gift and ignore the others because you're a natural, man, and then they'll fill your head with a bunch of saccharin lies and you'll know it's wrong but the excitement of that forbidden fruit just won't subside and you'll think, "it's fine, i can quit this whenever, ha, it's just a goof", but deep down you'll know there is no turning back now and the solos get a little longer each time and the next thing you know you're playing in some coffee shop near campus....or wherever at this point, it doesn't matter just as long as you're laying it down, brother. i mean, shit, why not just play on the street in crowded areas? the bus stop is right there, people are going to get off the bus, yeah, that'd be ok, you might even start wearing a fedora or something and fuck if your own friends and family even recognize you anymore they were holding you back anyway........

just be careful is all i'm saying.
bongo hard or bongo home

daytime drinking

• City Elder
« Reply #3571 on: December 30, 2018, 12:42:55 AM »

keep up the good work boys
poach eggs, not elephants

Zafer Kaya

• City Elder
« Reply #3572 on: January 09, 2019, 12:18:03 AM »

Is “I Want You Back” really just sort of  Pachelbel’s Canon in D major?

twentyshots

• City Elder
« Reply #3573 on: January 13, 2019, 11:33:56 AM »

i knew this happened, nirvana played cincinnati twice ('89/'90) to very small audiences, but i decided to spend a chunk of my weekend trying to determine if i was actually at the latter one. i know that sounds funny, but we lived around the corner for a few years, it was college, and no one remembers shit.

anybody here that frequented these places knows that you could live on short vine in those days......bogart's, sudsy's, shorty's, sub galley, top cats, fat cat's.......even daniel's......there were bands every night. so for someone wrapped up in that concoction, it IS possible you were there.....i'm talking about the '90 show......murphy's pub wasn't far away either though.

after texting 3 friends the best we could do is that if we were at the shorty's show, it was an accident. nirvana was on sub pop but i do not recall seeking them out or even much of a buzz at that point. but it doesn't mean someone didn't say, "let's go....so and so said this will be good". and was it? i don't know!

https://www.citybeat.com/music/blog/21040881/we-have-become-vikings-is-selling-a-shirt-featuring-the-poster-for-nirvanas-first-cincinnati-club-show-to-support-women-helping-women

bongo hard or bongo home

euro60

• City Elder
« Reply #3574 on: January 13, 2019, 10:39:01 PM »

great story, even if you aren't clear you were actually there....

reminds me of Muse playing at Top Cats (not sure what that year was, I'm guessing late 90s). I can for sure tell you I was there (at Top Cats) but didn't get in, although I surely tried every which way I could, even offering a bribe to the door guy, but he wouldn't have any of it. Thanks a lot, buddy, where is a 'corrupt' bouncer when you need him... <sigh>
"A blind faith in authority is the worst enemy of truth" - Albert Einstein (1901)

The Cincinnati Symphony Orchestra is one of Cincinnati's underappreciated treasures

notoriouspbake

• Citizen
« Reply #3575 on: January 14, 2019, 05:48:36 PM »

for anyone who liked say hi (say hi to your mom), he's back as say hi and released a cd late last year: caterpillar centipede. it's quite good.

MissKitty

• Hooray Beer!
  • City Elder
« Reply #3576 on: January 15, 2019, 12:03:48 PM »

for anyone who liked say hi (say hi to your mom), he's back as say hi and released a cd late last year: caterpillar centipede. it's quite good.

I keep a spreadsheet of all the stuff I listen to each year and saw that I listened to Say Hi "Caterpillar Centipede" on Sept. 25 and my one sentence review was "Strong album chock full of powerpop gems."

And then I guess I forgot all about it until you mentioned it. And it is SO GOOD! Thanks for the reminder!
Duct tape can't fix stupid.

notoriouspbake

• Citizen
« Reply #3577 on: January 15, 2019, 01:13:34 PM »

I keep a spreadsheet of all the stuff I listen to each year and saw that I listened to Say Hi "Caterpillar Centipede" on Sept. 25 and my one sentence review was "Strong album chock full of powerpop gems."

And then I guess I forgot all about it until you mentioned it. And it is SO GOOD! Thanks for the reminder!

neon signs is the best song imho.  ;D

MissKitty

• Hooray Beer!
  • City Elder
« Reply #3578 on: January 15, 2019, 02:41:01 PM »

neon signs is the best song imho.  ;D
My top picks are "I Just Wanna Go Home" and "Dreaming the Day Away." :)
Duct tape can't fix stupid.

Zafer Kaya

• City Elder
« Reply #3579 on: February 08, 2019, 11:43:41 PM »

Dave Edmunds is a bad ass songwriter, but arguably his best song was written by Elvis Costello.
Elvis Costello is a bad ass songwriter but arguably his best song was written by Nick Lowe.

Henry Nilsson is a bad ass songwriter, but arguably his best song was written by Badfinger.
Badfinger are bad ass songwriters, but arguably their best song was written by Paul McCartney.

twentyshots

• City Elder
« Reply #3580 on: February 21, 2019, 12:46:26 AM »

can't say i have ever been that much of a fan, but it seems like ryan adams' goose is cooked.
bongo hard or bongo home

Kwyjibo

• Bringing Grumpy Back
  • City Elder
« Reply #3581 on: February 21, 2019, 10:50:11 AM »

can't say i have ever been that much of a fan, but it seems like ryan adams' goose is cooked.

It is astonishing that it took this long.  I thought it was pretty widely known that he's a colossal prick.
Baby, check this out, I've got something to say.  Man, it's so loud in here.

Kwyjibo

• Bringing Grumpy Back
  • City Elder
« Reply #3582 on: February 21, 2019, 10:52:07 AM »

Henry Nilsson is a bad ass songwriter, but arguably his best song was written by Badfinger.

*Harry*

And the one he's best known for, and arguably one of his best, was written by Fred Neil.
Baby, check this out, I've got something to say.  Man, it's so loud in here.

Zafer Kaya

• City Elder
« Reply #3583 on: February 21, 2019, 03:00:25 PM »

Weird.  Either my phone mis-spell checked something or I have early onset dementia.

But Without You is unquestionably his biggest hit and best known song.  Everybody's Talkin' is a strong #2.

Zafer Kaya

• City Elder
« Reply #3584 on: February 21, 2019, 03:32:07 PM »

It is astonishing that it took this long.  I thought it was pretty widely known that he's a colossal prick.

I'm not surprised that Adams did it.  But I'm not shocked it took this long, either.

I mean, yeah everyone knew Adams is huge dickhead.  I don't know that they would know he was sexting underage women.  Or where is the line between being a total scumbag people should not date or marry and actual mental abuse? 

Like, I don't know that someone who works with Adams professionally should be expected to know the real dark shit he's trying to hide.  They just know he's a dick, and they probably don't like him or trust him much but that's not a reportable crime.

Really, I think people all like Mandy Moore and that probably saved him for a long time. That was kind of Adams' ace in the hole "Well, he seems like a total scumbag, but I dunno.  Mandy Moore is okay, she seems like she knows she's doing."  Also pretty sure Adams knew this, and purposely used it to his advantage. 

And Mandy Moore never said shit, until later.  I'm not blaming her.  I get what abuse does to people and all that.  I'm just saying like, people who are dicks are really good at being dicks which means lying, and using people, and getting people to stay silent, etc.  So it's not at all surprising that it took this long.  And I don't think it should be an indictment on society or the music industry either. 

Pages: 1 ... 237 238 [239] 240 241 ... 245   Go Up