Randomville

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
GigaBook.com
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 ... 239 240 [241] 242 243 ... 245   Go Down

Author Topic: Random music thoughts  (Read 272010 times)

MoxyWOXY

• Summer Resident
Re: Random music thoughts
« Reply #3600 on: April 11, 2019, 08:37:02 PM »

folks, as a WOXY fan, i haven't got any new music in quite some time. seems like i need some new tunes.

any reccomendations?

I get a lot of good stuff from undertheradarmag.com. I also get the print edition. So lucky to have a quality music magazine still in print.

On top of that, a lot comes from Spotify playlists and diving down the rabbit hole of "people who listen to this also listen to these bands" that the desktop Spotify app makes way too easy to get lost in.

foolsgold

• City Elder
  • To the East...Blackward
    • Teabaggin'
« Reply #3601 on: April 17, 2019, 11:02:53 AM »

Why do I not like Kurt Vile at all, but situationally enjoy War on Drugs?  They're basically the same band with the same sound, but whereas Vile annoys me, War on Drugs sounds really good when I'm driving or hanging out on my patio during a summer evening.

Why there's all these ugly mans on my TV screen?  I wrap my head with foil so I don't catch them beams.

Zafer Kaya

• City Elder
« Reply #3602 on: April 17, 2019, 01:54:38 PM »

I have this vague notion that War on Drugs is a bit more rock and Kurt Vile is a bit more rambling/folksy.  But that's probably not even true.  I actually couldn't tell you for sure if any given song is War on Drugs or Kurt Vile.  I think I just decide they are War on Drugs or Kurt Vile based on my fictional stereotyping without ever looking at the song.

I don't really mind Vile or War on Drugs for the most part.  A lot of times I'm not in the mood for it, but it's never offensive.  I just zone out if I'm not into it.  And yeah, it's great chilling on the patio music.  The only reason why I find Kurt Vile so annoying is having to listen to him 24/7.

I guess to some extent I also find it annoying that like 95% of indie music nowadays is good chilling on the patio music, but at best only 5% of my time is spent actually chilling on the patio.

Kwyjibo

• Bringing Grumpy Back
  • City Elder
« Reply #3603 on: April 18, 2019, 02:39:57 PM »

Every War on Drugs song sounds like Touch of Grey to me.  Vile is just obnoxious.
Baby, check this out, I've got something to say.  Man, it's so loud in here.

foolsgold

• City Elder
  • To the East...Blackward
    • Teabaggin'
« Reply #3604 on: May 03, 2019, 12:49:01 PM »

Whenever I hear Karma Police, I always think that the beginning piano riff is going to go into What if God was One of Us and am greatly relieved when it doesn't.
Why there's all these ugly mans on my TV screen?  I wrap my head with foil so I don't catch them beams.

Butter

• Suffering from early-onset douchiness
  • City Elder
« Reply #3605 on: May 09, 2019, 07:22:20 AM »

New Vampire Weekend is actually fine.  I didn't like a single one of the songs released to radio, but there are several good songs on there.

Also if you play it on Spotify on your phone, they have a different animation for each song which is interesting. 

virgil p colon

• City Elder
« Reply #3606 on: May 09, 2019, 09:49:43 AM »

New Vampire Weekend is actually fine.  I didn't like a single one of the songs released to radio, but there are several good songs on there.

Also if you play it on Spotify on your phone, they have a different animation for each song which is interesting.

I made it through three songs before I wanted to destroy my computer.

Zafer Kaya

• City Elder
« Reply #3607 on: May 09, 2019, 11:23:42 AM »

I don't mind it.  It's fine.  It might be my favorite album of theirs, but as a non-fan that doesn't mean much.

I definitely don't need to hear it 50 times a day, though.  I'm in a horrible Spotify spiral where every time I listen to anything indie and the playlist ends or its on the playlist already or whatever it starts playing Vampire Weekend.  And because it keeps playing Vampire Weekend, then it thinks I love Vampire Weekend and tries to play me more Vampire Weekend. 

Between that and SiriusXM I'm pretty sick of the album already.

Butter

• City Elder
« Reply #3608 on: May 09, 2019, 12:47:57 PM »

All of my favorite songs start at track 8 and after, it's over half of the songs after that.

Butter

• City Elder
« Reply #3609 on: May 09, 2019, 12:49:30 PM »

I don't mind it.  It's fine.  It might be my favorite album of theirs, but as a non-fan that doesn't mean much.

I definitely don't need to hear it 50 times a day, though.  I'm in a horrible Spotify spiral where every time I listen to anything indie and the playlist ends or its on the playlist already or whatever it starts playing Vampire Weekend.  And because it keeps playing Vampire Weekend, then it thinks I love Vampire Weekend and tries to play me more Vampire Weekend. 

"This Life" is atrocious, I can't deal with it.  I was sort of into "Harmony Hall" when it came out, but tired of it real quick.

virgil p colon

• City Elder
« Reply #3610 on: May 09, 2019, 03:54:44 PM »

All of my favorite songs start at track 8 and after, it's over half of the songs after that.

I'll give it another try at track 8.

Zafer Kaya

• City Elder
« Reply #3611 on: May 09, 2019, 09:07:32 PM »

"This Life" is atrocious, I can't deal with it.  I was sort of into "Harmony Hall" when it came out, but tired of it real quick.

Heh.  It was the exact opposite for me.  I found Harmony Hall annoying and This Life might have been my favorite Vampire Weekend song until I got tired of it.

But still, Vampire Weekend has mostly always left me indifferent so itís not like I felt strongly either way.  Everything still sounds like Graceland Era Paul Simon, except Simon was a phenomenal lyric writer or at least ripper offer of phenomenal lyric writers.  The album is more or less good to the proportion of more Haim and less Koenig.

I like Koenig though.  Every interview I have seen he comes across as a thoughtful guy.  Itís not his fault he is unbearably white.  Thatís who he is.  Ultimately, it doesnít make him any less unbearable but it at least makes him sympathetic.

euro60

• City Elder
« Reply #3612 on: May 09, 2019, 10:53:06 PM »

Yea, I think it's fine. The band has changed a lot since its last album (in 2013), not to mention they are now LA-based. "Upper West Side" preppies they are no longer!

I rarely go to shows these days (other than to see my daughter's band) but I did get tickets for Vampire Weekend's upcoming show next month at the PNC Pavilion (which is sold out). Really looking forward to that.

Vampire Weekend kicked off their reunion last week in New York.

https://www.pollstar.com/article/live-review-vampire-weekend-reborn-in-three-set-webster-hall-marathon-137904

3 sets! 56 songs! 6 hours!
"A blind faith in authority is the worst enemy of truth" - Albert Einstein (1901)

The Cincinnati Symphony Orchestra is one of Cincinnati's underappreciated treasures

Butter

• City Elder
« Reply #3613 on: May 10, 2019, 06:57:37 AM »

I like Koenig though.  Every interview I have seen he comes across as a thoughtful guy.  Itís not his fault he is unbearably white.  Thatís who he is.  Ultimately, it doesnít make him any less unbearable but it at least makes him sympathetic.

He was introducing some of the songs over the weekend on XMU and when he got to This Life he was talking about how he said "that doesn't sound like a Vampire Weekend song, unless there's some parenthetical next to the title with a Latin word in it or something".  Thought that was pretty funny and shows he at least owns the pretentiousness.

Zafer Kaya

• City Elder
« Reply #3614 on: May 10, 2019, 02:43:08 PM »

Yeah, he basically stuck in the position where the kind of music he makes and the kind of background he comes from there's no way he can avoid stereotypes.  There's nothing he can say that won't be seen as either fitting a stereotype or overcompensating for being a stereotype.  And there's no way he's not going to be asked about it.  All of that stuff was already around, and it's baggage he carries with him.

I think he does a pretty good job both in his songs and in his real life interviews of just being honest.  He's too smart not to see the contradictions and be aware of the awkward space he occupies, but there's nothing he can do about it.  I like that he can laugh at himself without coming across as self-apologizing, and that he will in some ways defend himself without making excuses.

Really, I'm the bad guy for putting him in a box and disliking his music for being so "white."  I don't really feel bad about it because art is inherently linked to culture.  It's not like Ezra Koenig needs me to protect his civil rights.  I'm allowed to not like his music for superficial reasons.  But I do kinda feel a moral obligation I think to acknowledge the superficiality of my distaste.
Pages: 1 ... 239 240 [241] 242 243 ... 245   Go Up