Randomville

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
GigaBook.com
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 ... 240 241 [242] 243 244 245   Go Down

Author Topic: Random music thoughts  (Read 280909 times)

euro60

• City Elder
Re: Random music thoughts
« Reply #3615 on: May 10, 2019, 03:45:59 PM »

But I do kinda feel a moral obligation I think to acknowledge the superficiality of my distaste.
I'm glad you added this disclaimer as I was rolling my eyes up to that point. But then my eyes stopped rolling, you know?
"A blind faith in authority is the worst enemy of truth" - Albert Einstein (1901)

The Cincinnati Symphony Orchestra is one of Cincinnati's underappreciated treasures

foolsgold

• City Elder
  • To the East...Blackward
    • Teabaggin'
« Reply #3616 on: May 14, 2019, 12:11:25 PM »

How many more times does Morrissey have to prove himself to be a horrible human before people stop giving him a pass?
Why there's all these ugly mans on my TV screen?  I wrap my head with foil so I don't catch them beams.

euro60

• City Elder
« Reply #3617 on: May 14, 2019, 11:27:41 PM »

How many more times does Morrissey have to prove himself to be a horrible human before people stop giving him a pass?
He's a jerk all around and has been forever.

I remember seeing him in concert at Coachella a decade or so ago, and he stopped the concert cold because he smelled a whiff of hamburgers being cooked or something like it, he started gagging on stage, and said he couldn't go on, while pontificating about the "meat is murder". (Eventually after several minutes he did continue the gig.) What a scene that was. Look, you may or may not be against "meat",  but be a professional at a major music festival already. He is a diva and a jerk all around,
"A blind faith in authority is the worst enemy of truth" - Albert Einstein (1901)

The Cincinnati Symphony Orchestra is one of Cincinnati's underappreciated treasures

twentyshots

• City Elder
« Reply #3618 on: May 16, 2019, 12:03:33 AM »

what did he do now?

i believe he has probably cancelled more shows than he has played at this point.
i have never seen him live, but would.....knowing full well i'd have to mute his between song editorials.
it's funny how you can basically agree with someone and still feel deeply annoyed by them.

it's like a friend of mine who saw neil young a few years ago. he has always liked neil young and pretty much agrees with his politics, however, neil performed most of a show consisting of mediocre songs shitting on monsanto. again, pretty much agree with that in theory but a good concert it does not make. my friend said "for the love of god, just play cinnamon girl"

as an artist, i can understand the need to try something different, challenge yourself, and flex new muscles but it comes at a cost if the work doesn't stand on its own and alienates your fanbase.
bongo hard or bongo home

Zafer Kaya

• City Elder
« Reply #3619 on: May 16, 2019, 01:10:49 AM »

He performed on Fallon wearing a For Britain pin.  And he’s been talking up that party for a few years now.  He has long crossed the point of being maybe just a prickly guy who says borderline racist things to get a rise out of people, or like maybe someone who doesn’t fully understand politics and should shut their mouth, or just drugged out of his mind,

He’s an active right-wing racist dickhead.  Fuck him.

twentyshots

• City Elder
« Reply #3620 on: May 17, 2019, 10:03:08 PM »

He performed on Fallon wearing a For Britain pin.  And he’s been talking up that party for a few years now.  He has long crossed the point of being maybe just a prickly guy who says borderline racist things to get a rise out of people, or like maybe someone who doesn’t fully understand politics and should shut their mouth, or just drugged out of his mind,

He’s an active right-wing racist dickhead.  Fuck him.
oh wow. i don't follow him so had no idea. a right wing gay vegetarian?
here i assumed he was just a tediously self-righteous progressive.
bongo hard or bongo home

euro60

• City Elder
« Reply #3621 on: May 17, 2019, 11:50:36 PM »

Just for the record... Morrissey is coming to the Fraze Pavilion (near Dayton) in September, with Interpol opening. That perked up my ears... until I say the ticket prices... $69 for the lawn GA, and $110 for the seats up closer. Are you kidding me? Thanks, but no thanks.

Dan

• Tetris Master
  • City Elder
« Reply #3622 on: May 20, 2019, 03:27:58 PM »

I can see Massive Attack play "Mezzanine" in September.... for $150 per ticket. I'm all "dayum, Massive Attack" and then I'm all "ouch....ticket prices."

notoriouspbake

• Citizen
« Reply #3623 on: May 20, 2019, 03:43:59 PM »

I can see Massive Attack play "Mezzanine" in September.... for $150 per ticket. I'm all "dayum, Massive Attack" and then I'm all "ouch....ticket prices."

it's already sold out in detroit. i didn't even check out prices. that's a bit steep.

Dan

• Tetris Master
  • City Elder
« Reply #3624 on: May 21, 2019, 10:50:25 AM »

I think it's probably sold out here, too. Those are the "verified resale" prices

c-lando

• Bacon Research & Sparkle Development/Cr0ndog Millionaire
  • City Elder
« Reply #3625 on: June 04, 2019, 04:07:14 PM »

Mashup of Radiohead and D'Angelo? Yes and THANK YOU.

https://www.wired.com/2015/09/roman-gianarthur-ok-lady-mashup/

I can't believe I'm 3.5 half years late to this amazing party thrown by a Janelle Monae and Jidenna collaborator. But, at least I'm finally here.
Once the bacon's done, all pants are off.  
PANTS PANTS REVOLUTION!!!

daytime drinking

• City Elder
« Reply #3626 on: July 23, 2019, 11:37:41 PM »

has anyone ever considered, shredding out to philip glass? 
poach eggs, not elephants

Zafer Kaya

• City Elder
« Reply #3627 on: July 24, 2019, 01:41:07 PM »

I'm sure someone's tried it.  Diehard Philip Glass fans are pretty weird.  I'm guessing they've managed to do everything to that music except actually enjoy it, which is impossible.

daytime drinking

• City Elder
« Reply #3628 on: July 24, 2019, 11:55:26 PM »

then why do i like it?  his operas are sick yo.  and i swore i heard some geto boys in a piano piece

to be perfectly honest, i'm not even sure if i'm listening to good classical music.  that is, i don't know anything at all about classical music.  that is, what's traditionally held as "good."  youtube just throws shit on a playlist (forget what the jumping off point was.  probably something from a thomas mann novel called doctor faustus.  breaks my heart that man was into little boys.  you expect that shit from burroughs, but man, not mann)

so here's a rundown of what i like.  it's baroque heavy, which i'm not sure (it's just now occurred to me) if i'm not influenced by my love of the word baroque.  anyway

vivaldi
corelli
boccherini
satie
debussy
haydn
schubert   

and now glass
poach eggs, not elephants

MissKitty

• Hooray Beer!
  • City Elder
« Reply #3629 on: July 28, 2019, 07:12:20 PM »

Switched on Spotify today and saw a curated mix called "US Summer Hits of the 90s" or some such business and I thought, "OK, let's see how long I can stand this" and started listening.

I was totally immersed in 97X in the 90s and there are only a few songs/artists on this playlist that 97X played (Blues Traveler, Jesus Jones, Suzanne Vega etc.) but most of the tunes I at least recognized because we sold a shit-ton of them at the record store.

Never thought I'd ever find any artist/song as hideous as ANYTHING by Journey, but christ, Big Mountain's cover of "Baby I Love Your Way" has got to be the worst thing I have ever heard. It was an OK original back in the 70s but why anyone would want to cover it, let alone attempt to reggae-ify it?! Fucking hell. By the time the shitty 80s sax came in I'd already ground my teeth to nubs and was ready to start stabbing my ear drums with a nail file.

I remember selling hundreds of the Big Mountain album/cassette/CD at the record store but somehow I managed to escape hearing that song until today. I had no idea how lucky I was.
Duct tape can't fix stupid.
Pages: 1 ... 240 241 [242] 243 244 245   Go Up