Randomville

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
GigaBook.com
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 ... 242 243 [244] 245   Go Down

Author Topic: Random music thoughts  (Read 260984 times)

MissKitty

• Hooray Beer!
  • City Elder
Re: Random music thoughts
« Reply #3645 on: August 07, 2019, 08:49:35 AM »

The main reason I never went to more concerts is because I'm cheap.

This is me. I mean, I've gone to loads of shows over the years, but thinking back on it, the majority were comps. I worked at the record store and radio station to feed my music habit. Promo LPs/CDs and free concert tickets were my bonus for what have essentially been shitty paying jobs.

I'd have loved to go see Beck & Spoon the other night, but I didn't want to shell out the cash. Pavilion seats were pricey, and like Butter, I'm not messing with that lawn shit.

This is why MOTR is my favorite live music venue in the city. You can catch up-and-coming acts there every night of the week and the shows are FREE. I love this so much. I caught Fred Thomas and Anna Burch there back in early October (along with Tayfo, Skidminnix, Twentyshots and others) and then when Trixi and I were in Chicago a week or so later I saw that Fred & Anna were playing a nearby club and tickets were $30. I felt very lucky to see them for free and pleased with myself for saving $30.
Duct tape can't fix stupid.

foolsgold

• City Elder
  • To the East...Blackward
    • Teabaggin'
« Reply #3646 on: August 07, 2019, 09:23:29 AM »

I think I generally stopped talking music a) because I've gotten better at recognizing when people are mentally checking out while I'm trying to explain why a 34 minute long Swans' song is the absolute best b) I recognize that most of the music I listen to is nerdy and weird and that I want nothing to do with the nerdy and weird people who like that kind of music primarily because I'm afraid I might recognize me in them. 

Like Zk said, it's a more personal choice now.  There was a time when it mattered to me to share the gospel, but now, it's just for me.  Anytime I play music when people are over, it's mostly in the background,.  I still get a kick when someone asks me about a song that's playing and I've gotten pretty good about not bombarding them with a 10 minute lecture covering the band's history and circumstances in which the song was written.
Why there's all these ugly mans on my TV screen?  I wrap my head with foil so I don't catch them beams.

Butter

• Suffering from early-onset douchiness
  • City Elder
« Reply #3647 on: August 07, 2019, 10:28:18 AM »

I'd have loved to go see Beck & Spoon the other night, but I didn't want to shell out the cash. Pavilion seats were pricey, and like Butter, I'm not messing with that lawn shit.

We had close in seats, but they were "obstructed view".  We couldn't see Beck's giant screen at all, which kinda sucked.  But our seats were some of the cheapest in the pavilion, and Beck was the only show where I felt like I missed something with our view, but it's not like it was obstructed hearing.

Zafer Kaya

• City Elder
« Reply #3648 on: August 07, 2019, 03:04:04 PM »

I don't actually enjoy concerts.  I never really have.  I do sometimes enjoy going to concerts though.  Which is different. 

Going to a show is almost always like a little adventure.  Especially house shows.  I used to love house shows.  I like the whole driving around looking for a place in some area you've never been but seems sketchy, and eating with your friends before the show.  Checking out the venue.  Checking out the people at the show.  I really don't enjoy the show itself.  Too loud.  This was true even when I was younger and went to lots of shows.  I like the ritual more than the thing itself.

I'm okay at tiny shows. I can enjoy those.  Anything bigger at some point I usually end up walking around the venue or stepping outside or trying to zone out for part of it.  I guess my limit is basically if you cannot talk to the band for a few minutes while they are selling their stuff at the merch table, the show is too big.

But like I can't really go to shows because I like the band anymore.  Like theoretically I'd love to see Beck.  I like his stuff, I think he's an interesting guy.  He's stature is such that you know I feel kind of like I should go just for the educational experience.  I like Spoon a lot. They were great the two times I saw them.

But there's now way I would see that show.  If they came to Richmond I'd be like "Wow, what a great bill.  I really should see that show."  Then I won't.  It's just too much.... loud, too much stress, too much tiring, just too much.

But if on the same day that Beck and Spoon played, one of my friends suddenly called me up and was like "Hey, Seals and Croft are playing Innsbrook after hours"  "Really?"  "Naw, it's actually their daughters got together and do like a Seals and Crofts tribute."  "Do you think they'll do Summer Breeze?"  "I mean, they have to, right?"  "God that song sucks.  I fucking hate Seals and Crofts.  Who even listens to Seals and Crofts anymore?  Alright yeah, I'm in."

The idea of hanging with one of my friends that I don't see much anymore at a weirdo show that neither of us has much interest in seems like a fun adventure.  Going to see Beck and Spoon feels like work.

euro60

• City Elder
« Reply #3649 on: August 07, 2019, 11:40:13 PM »

We had close in seats, but they were "obstructed view".  We couldn't see Beck's giant screen at all, which kinda sucked.  But our seats were some of the cheapest in the pavilion, and Beck was the only show where I felt like I missed something with our view, but it's not like it was obstructed hearing.
I have seen one "major show" this summer (Vampire Weekend) and only because a good friend of mine egged me into it. That same buddy (and client of the firm) asked me to go see Beck/Cage/Spoon, and I immediately told him that is the same evening that my daughter's band was playing on Fountain Square, so, no. I mean, I've seen Beck/Cage/Spoon many times over the years. I remember Beck's out-there fabulous shows at the Taft (in 1999 I think?) and at Bonarroo (in 2007 I think). I remember Cage's show at the Madison Theater (in 2012 I think?). I remember Spoon's show at the (original) Southgate House (way back when). How could that ever been better in 2019? And in any event, my daughter was playing Fountain Square.

Like several of you have mentioned, I just cannot justify/care to shelling out $$$$$ to concerts. I would be in concept interested in seeing the double-bill of Brian Wilson and the Zombies coming at the Taft next month. Then I saw the ticket prices. WTF? I've seen Brian Wilson many times, but never the Zombies. So sorry, but I will pass.

Like I've said earlier, I've seen most band I ever wanted to see so no interested in shelling $$$$$. Unless of course it is Macca or Radiohead, just to name those
"A blind faith in authority is the worst enemy of truth" - Albert Einstein (1901)

The Cincinnati Symphony Orchestra is one of Cincinnati's underappreciated treasures

euro60

• City Elder
« Reply #3650 on: August 07, 2019, 11:44:47 PM »

This is me.

This is why MOTR is my favorite live music venue in the city.

Just thought I'd mention a fabulous bill coming up next Monday at MOTR, Summer Cannibals and Leggy  8)
"A blind faith in authority is the worst enemy of truth" - Albert Einstein (1901)

The Cincinnati Symphony Orchestra is one of Cincinnati's underappreciated treasures

MissKitty

• Hooray Beer!
  • City Elder
« Reply #3651 on: August 08, 2019, 09:11:00 AM »

This is me.

This is why MOTR is my favorite live music venue in the city.

Just thought I'd mention a fabulous bill coming up next Monday at MOTR, Summer Cannibals and Leggy  8)

I'm going to Bellwether Fri-Sat (working the Inhailer booth) and Sunday night to MOTR to see Moonwalks and Death Valley Girls, so I think Monday night I'll be in bed by 7:30 p.m. :)

Zafer Kaya

• City Elder
« Reply #3652 on: August 08, 2019, 09:56:41 AM »

Yeah, the money is outrageous.

Used to be you could see a major indie/alt band at a decent sized indie venue for $15 or $20.  Now it's like $50 or $60.  That turns it from a something you could do spontaneously when there wasn't anything going on that night to something where you have to plan in advance, and when you go you feel like it has to be awesome.  And then if it's less than awesome, you walk away pissed.  Definitely takes a lot of the enjoyment out of it.

Ella Minnow Pea

• Numbers Guru
  • Administrator
  • City Elder
  • Reference Desk
« Reply #3653 on: Yesterday at 12:08:55 AM »

My sign of becoming old was I had no interest in any of the bands at Hopscotch last year. Now, the only concerts I attend are the North Carolina Symphony.

I've finally seen almost all the bands I would want to see, when Franz Ferdinand and Belle & Sebastian came through Raleigh a couple years ago.

But I am glad that our local public radio station has a second channel that is all music and has a nice, random playlist. On the drive home from work I heard "The Revolution Will Not Be Televised" by Gil Scott-Heron, followed by "So Caught Up" by The Teskey Brothers and then "Short Skirt/Long Jacket" by CAKE. It's more diverse than anything I can find on satellite radio.
also known as rcc94

euro60

• City Elder
« Reply #3654 on: Yesterday at 01:18:07 AM »

My sign of becoming old was I had no interest in any of the bands at Hopscotch last year. Now, the only concerts I attend are the North Carolina Symphony.

I've finally seen almost all the bands I would want to see, when Franz Ferdinand and Belle & Sebastian came through Raleigh a couple years ago.
I feel exactly as you do. It will take a mountain for me to go to just a concert. I mean, I've literally seen any band I've ever wanted to see, and multiple times at that. So I rarely go to concerts anymore.

Except of course if it involves my daughter's band Leggy, I can never get enough of that, LOL

I used to go to many Cincinnati Symphony concerts, and I love classical music, but I must admit that has gone to a trickle too: 1 or 2 concerts a season. But my car radio is steadfast set to WGUC, the Cincinnati full-time classical music station.

MissKitty

• Hooray Beer!
  • City Elder
« Reply #3655 on: Yesterday at 08:59:21 AM »

But my car radio is steadfast set to WGUC, the Cincinnati full-time classical music station.

You really should download the Inhailer app and give it a listen. We spin new indie/modern rock, classic/vintage modern rock (songs you would have heard on 97X BITD) and also lots of local Cincinnati/Dayton/NKY bands - including Leggy!

MissKitty

• Hooray Beer!
  • City Elder
« Reply #3656 on: Yesterday at 09:22:55 AM »

I don't actually enjoy concerts.  I never really have.  I do sometimes enjoy going to concerts though.  Which is different. 

I know what you mean.

Know what else I don't enjoy? Recordings of live shows. I don't think bands ever really sound as good live as they do in a studio. When I go to a concert I don't mind that the band doesn't sound as good live, and I like it when they improvise stuff or change things up. That, to me, is the beauty of a live performance. But I don't want to listen to a band playing live on a CD or album. It just isn't the same.

Of course there are a few exceptions. Cheap Trick Live at Budokan is decent. But in general I don't want to hear a crowd singing along or whatever. I don't even like hearing live recordings of shows I've been to. I have a few friends who collect live recordings (aka bootlegs) and they've given me copies of shows we attended together and I can't even get into those, and I was there!

Zafer Kaya

• City Elder
« Reply #3657 on: Yesterday at 02:44:46 PM »

I know what you mean.

Know what else I don't enjoy? Recordings of live shows. I don't think bands ever really sound as good live as they do in a studio. When I go to a concert I don't mind that the band doesn't sound as good live, and I like it when they improvise stuff or change things up. That, to me, is the beauty of a live performance. But I don't want to listen to a band playing live on a CD or album. It just isn't the same.

Of course there are a few exceptions. Cheap Trick Live at Budokan is decent. But in general I don't want to hear a crowd singing along or whatever. I don't even like hearing live recordings of shows I've been to. I have a few friends who collect live recordings (aka bootlegs) and they've given me copies of shows we attended together and I can't even get into those, and I was there!

Yep.  Agreed.  Have never understood the appeal of live albums or bootlegging. 

Paco

• Tourist
« Reply #3658 on: Yesterday at 03:58:08 PM »

I mostly agree but there are a few truly classic live albums that I love.

Wings Over America - I was still a huge Paul fan being left handed and a bass player at the time. This one still holds up, Paul at his peak never mind the caterwauling from the "keyboard player".

Frampton Comes Alive - I mean, come on...

Moonflower (Santana) - While not a completely live album, still, the live recordings on it are Santana with his most badass band ever just killing it.

edited: oops forgot to add the penultimate live album: Allman Brothers - Fillmore East

I had a couple of buddies who were deep into the Dead bootleg tapes, soundboard this and first gen that. For fucks sake, how many times do you need to hear Tennessee Jed with varying degrees of Jerry fuckery?
« Last Edit: Yesterday at 04:01:30 PM by Paco »

euro60

• City Elder
« Reply #3659 on: Yesterday at 11:03:34 PM »

I bought a lot of live CDs of shows that I went to with my buddy of the (Grateful) Dead in the 00's. We'd go see them on the West Coast, in the Midwest, on the East Coast. Back in those days, you could order CDs from all of those shows through the Dead fan club, which I did. Really well packaged I might add. I still play them once in a while, in particular the set of the Dead's New Year's Eve in Oakland in 2003 (I think?)

Pages: 1 ... 242 243 [244] 245   Go Up