Randomville

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
GigaBook.com
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 ... 244 245 [246] 247 248 249   Go Down

Author Topic: Random music thoughts  (Read 334648 times)

Dan

• Tetris Master
  • City Elder
Re: Random music thoughts
« Reply #3675 on: December 10, 2019, 03:57:52 PM »

Roxette might have been the very first album I ever purchased. I know I had it on tape. RIP indeed, even if I hadn't thought about them in over 20 years.

Dan

• Tetris Master
  • City Elder
« Reply #3676 on: January 03, 2020, 12:28:24 PM »

Zafer Kaya

• City Elder
« Reply #3677 on: January 03, 2020, 01:01:26 PM »

Would easily fit in a 50 TB hard drive.  So yeah, I have room for it as does everyone else.  And you'd be able to listen to any song you want instantaneously, and as many times as you want, and the sound quality would never degrade.

I really just don't get why people care about vinyl.  It's a vastly inferior storage medium in every way imaginable, so just let it get.  Why aren't hipsters out buying punch cards or 8 tracks?

I get that for a lot of people they're not fooling themselves that vinyl sounds better, it's just merch.  I just feel like millennial/gen Y enviro-nazis could probably pick something a bit better to collect than a piles of petrochemicals.  Plus, how will you ever achieve your urban density paradise if everyone needs an extra room for their stupid vinyl collection?

Kwyjibo

• Bringing Grumpy Back
  • City Elder
« Reply #3678 on: January 05, 2020, 12:41:21 PM »

I like the way vinyl sounds, which is not to say I think it sounds better, just different.  The main attraction to me is the tactile aspect.  I like having the big artwork and the meaty slab of vinyl, especially if it's colored vinyl, or a fancy gatefold, or has cool custom labels.

It's a pain in the ass in every conceivable way, I will not deny that.  Trying to get an album shipped is a nightmare of hoping to God the person on the other end isn't an idiot, and they often are Amazon especially.  If you don't get what you want while it's in print good luck getting it later, so you have to buy what you want when it's available.  Once you've got it, keeping it in good shape is also a pain in the neck, putting it in sleeves, hoping your kid doesn't knock over their drum stand into your collection, cleaning them, getting the dust off the play surface, cleaning the stylus, etc.  All a pain in the neck.

But it's no different than collecting comic books (you can buy hardbound anthologies instead), or coins (if you've seen one buffalo nickel haven't you seen them all really?).  It's stuff to have and amass and enjoy.  But I get to put my collection on a machine and crank it to 11 and enjoy the music as well.
Baby, check this out, I've got something to say.  Man, it's so loud in here.

Zafer Kaya

• City Elder
« Reply #3679 on: January 06, 2020, 03:56:39 PM »

I just find it insane that people bitched about CD's costing $20 and now they go out and pay $20 for vinyl. 

They bitched about longboxes and plastic CD covers and now they go out and buy even bigger pieces of cardboard and plastic and discs and then more plastic to put their plastic cardboard and disc into.

They bitched about how music was commercial, and now they run to record stores to buy shit that is grossly overpriced because marketers are very nakedly creating an artificial demand for them by issuing "limited editions" of 500 copies when they could easily just issue 10,000 copies.

People acting like dicks so they can grab some bauble on record store day just so they can say they have it pisses me off.  Like, I can't think of anything less indie.

To me it's like an artist spent a long time crafting a song, and pouring out their soul and whatnot to bring you this song.  And people won't pay more than $9 a month for Spotify and the artists make nothing off that.  That's the actual thing of value.

But people WILL spend $20 on some plastic POS just so they can have something that someone else doesn't.  It's depressing to me that people care a lot more about being cooler than their friends than the art. 

It's the fake-ass new "limited edition" crap that bothers me. Collecting old vinyl, or old coins or old anything else, I'm okay with.  That stuff already exists, it wasn't just created for a consumerist culture. IAnd there's a sense of history there, like who owned this before me?  What was it like when this was first created?  There's something kind of cool in consuming something the way it was originally intended to be consumed, and connecting with history.  A lot of obscure old records are not deemed worthy enough to be digitized or put on Spotify, so there's that, too-- it's the only way you'll ever hear the record.

I used to collect baseball cards, because it was cool to find a rare old card from the 50's.  But I stopped when they started charging $6.00 a pack and 99% of cards were worthless.  There was like a 1/100 chance you'd pull a $250 card out of a pack and that's how they charged so much.  And that card wasn't really $250 in value, it was just artificial scarcity and FOMO.  At that point, it's not collecting, it's just shitty gambling.  You want that card, the content of the card is meaningless.  It could be an old Roger Clemens dick pic.  Doesn't matter.  There's only 100 of them so you want it.

I do think that a lot of people who collect vinyl aren't really active participants in this.  They just want a vinyl copy of Wilco or whatever.  And if there were 1,000,000 copies of Wilco, cool that's nothing to them. If that lowers the price to $.50, then that's awesome. 

But I think those are the people who DON'T end up with that limited edition Wilco album.  It's the Martin Shkreli's of the world who do.

Kwyjibo

• Bringing Grumpy Back
  • City Elder
« Reply #3680 on: January 08, 2020, 03:37:41 PM »

I also stopped collecting baseball cards once there were 45 different companies putting them out and it became about the chase card crap and not about seeing if you could get a Frank Pastore to complete your set.  I only go in for the record store day thing if it's something I want to listen to and I'm not going to get it another way.  Most of those are crap, it's just excerpts from whatever the band is putting out in the next few months.  Like the one McCartney put out this year.  The Beatles are the worst for dragging every cent out of their fans and I've mostly stopped falling for it.  Screw that. 

I mostly don't buy newer releases on vinyl.  A few here and there.  Mostly what I buy is older releases that mean something to me.  If there's an uber valuable original pressing and a new pressing that's cheaper, I buy the newer pressing.  Like, why is a first pressing Friction, Baby over a hundred bucks?  Who cares about Better Than Ezra that much?  I bought our copy long before this market went insane, or we wouldn't have it, because I'm not paying those kinds of prices.

I hope I fall into the later category that you mentioned.  I just like having the thing on vinyl, I don't care what it's worth beyond being pissed about what it cost me to get it.  I hope other people that want Bread and Circus on vinyl have it just the same as I do.

Zafer Kaya

• City Elder
« Reply #3681 on: January 08, 2020, 10:50:43 PM »

Oh, you collected baseball cards?  Yeah, so you know what I’m talking about.  I collected comics, too.  My dad collected stamps.  So I totally understand the collecter mentality.  I’m not knocking that.

I also still go to records stores from time to time.  That record store experience of like “ Holy shit, so much music!”  And then just flipping through albums, not knowing what you’ll find and remembering stuff and like oh this sucks, oooh this one is good, I wonder about this one? That’s still fun to me.

I dunno.  I just turns me off more and more.  Like the limited edition crap.  And yeah, like the “Why is this version of the album $50 more?!? It’s the same music.” The money-grubbing has just become so nakedly transparent it turns me off.

I also just don’t get the mentality of these Gen Z types trying to chase down 30 year old records.  Those records mean a lot to ME, because they were part of my life.  And, I had to put effort into getting records.  I couldn’t just turn on Spotify.  Each record/CD/tape to me was school lunches missed, lawns mowed. They have meaning to me that they will never have to younger people.

When I was 25, I wasn’t running to the record store like “OOOH YEAH GOTTA GET THAT BOBBY DARIN ALBUM!!”  Listen to your own shit.  There’s more kinds of music coming out than ever.  Support it and stop listening to fucking oldies.  Get a life. 

twentyshots

• City Elder
« Reply #3682 on: January 19, 2020, 11:38:04 PM »

why do college kids like sylvan esso so much?

how does anyone enjoy mitski?
bongo hard or bongo home

Kwyjibo

• Bringing Grumpy Back
  • City Elder
« Reply #3683 on: January 20, 2020, 09:19:00 AM »

why do college kids like sylvan esso so much?

I wonder this also.  Esso makes me want to jam an ice pick in my temple.

foolsgold

• City Elder
  • To the East...Blackward
    • Teabaggin'
« Reply #3684 on: January 31, 2020, 01:11:10 PM »

For the first time in years, I sat down and listened to the Stone Roses' Second Coming.  I realized just how powerful my delusion was when I would swear to anyone who would listen that "it's every bit as good as the debut."  Outside of 2.5 songs, it's not just not every bit as good.  It's just not.
Why there's all these ugly mans on my TV screen?  I wrap my head with foil so I don't catch them beams.

MoxyWOXY

• Summer Resident
« Reply #3685 on: February 06, 2020, 03:58:13 PM »

I like some Mitski and I'm 50. Haha  Maybe I'm just at the other end of the bell curve of hate?

Seriously though, "Your Best American Girl" is a really good song.

twentyshots

• City Elder
« Reply #3686 on: February 07, 2020, 07:39:26 PM »

i'll give it a try.
i think the nobody song just pushed me over the edge though. and the husband song.
bongo hard or bongo home

twentyshots

• City Elder
« Reply #3687 on: February 07, 2020, 07:53:19 PM »

update: i do remember your best american girl now and think i might even have it on a playlist.
i can't fully retract the statement though because nobody really hits a nerve.

conclusion: avoid nobody at all costs......live and let live.
bongo hard or bongo home

foolsgold

• City Elder
  • To the East...Blackward
    • Teabaggin'
« Reply #3688 on: February 28, 2020, 09:56:07 AM »

Soccer Mommy might be releasing the greatest music in the history of music, but I'd never know.  How could I look myself in the mirror knowing that I like a band called Soccer Mommy?

I wish I wasn't this profoundly shallow, but I am.
Why there's all these ugly mans on my TV screen?  I wrap my head with foil so I don't catch them beams.

virgil p colon

• City Elder
« Reply #3689 on: February 28, 2020, 10:37:49 AM »

Soccer Mommy might be releasing the greatest music in the history of music, but I'd never know.  How could I look myself in the mirror knowing that I like a band called Soccer Mommy?

I wish I wasn't this profoundly shallow, but I am.

You're not missing anything.
Pages: 1 ... 244 245 [246] 247 248 249   Go Up