Randomville

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
GigaBook.com
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 ... 245 246 [247]   Go Down

Author Topic: Random music thoughts  (Read 307644 times)

Butter

• Suffering from early-onset douchiness
  • City Elder
Re: Random music thoughts
« Reply #3690 on: March 03, 2020, 08:37:12 AM »

Lucy's a fine song.  Nothing earth shattering, but I'm not going to turn it off because I disdain her band name... as stupid as I may find it.

euro60

• City Elder
« Reply #3691 on: March 17, 2020, 11:37:18 AM »

For your reading pleasure, from Billboard:

In the tracking week ending March 12, R.E.M.'s "It's the End of the World as We Know It (And I Feel Fine)" skyrocketed 184% to 1,000 downloads sold and 48% in on-demand U.S. streams to 746,000. R.E.M.'s "Everybody Hurts" rose 33% in digital song sales and 2% to 290,000 streams, and "Losing My Religion" gained 11% in sales.

Some other virus-related songs that have gained in sales and streaming over the past week:

The Knack, "My Sharona"
Up 43% in digital song sales to 1,000
Up 18% in total on-demand U.S. streams to 876,000

"Weird Al" Yankovic, "My Bologna"
Up 16% in total on-demand U.S. streams to 16,000

Gloria Gaynor, "I Will Survive"
Up 22% in digital song sales to 1,000
Up 3% in on-demand U.S. audio streams to 678,000

Joy Division, "Isolation"
Up 50% in digital song sales
Up 7% in total on-demand U.S. streams to 27,000

The Minutemen, "Corona"
Up 70% in digital song sales
Up 26% in total on-demand U.S. streams to 63,000

Disturbed, "Down With the Sickness"
Up 10% in digital song sales to 1,000
Up 1% in total on-demand U.S. streams to 2.6 million

Bad Religion, "Infected"
Up 4% in total on-demand U.S. streams to 63,000

Shwayze, "Corona and Lime"
Up 12% in total on-demand U.S. streams to 117,000
"A blind faith in authority is the worst enemy of truth" - Albert Einstein (1901)

The Cincinnati Symphony Orchestra is one of Cincinnati's underappreciated treasures

Drjohnrock

• City Elder
  • Wondering whassup? It's Fall sound!
« Reply #3692 on: March 17, 2020, 12:28:44 PM »

It's hardly the most important thing to be affected by COVID-19.  But musicians who aren't megastars are going to suffer because of the pandemic. If bands that play arenas have to postpone a tour, it doesn't affect them that much. But for those who play the smaller venues and are dependent on touring and the accompanying merch sales, the effects are major.  The effects on the smaller venues will be huge as well.  Some may have to close their doors permanently.  I just hope the most dire predictions about the pandemic don't come true.
I refuse to shut up about Johnny Dowd until the world recognizes his musical genius.  I may lose my voice before that happens but at least I can enjoy the man's music while going mute.

Don't feed trolls by responding to or acknowledging them.

euro60

• City Elder
« Reply #3693 on: March 17, 2020, 02:31:19 PM »

You're absolutely right, Drjohn. Whether Foo Fighters make a million dollars now or in the Fall instead, they'll still live well (and beyond well). I can only speak from my daughter's perspective but Leggy not being able to do the planned shows in the next month (if not longer) affects them meaningfully, even though we're only talking a thousand dollars or whatever number it is they make on a particular night.
"A blind faith in authority is the worst enemy of truth" - Albert Einstein (1901)

The Cincinnati Symphony Orchestra is one of Cincinnati's underappreciated treasures

Paco

• Tourist
« Reply #3694 on: March 17, 2020, 02:39:11 PM »

For your reading pleasure, from Billboard:

In the tracking week ending March 12, R.E.M.'s "It's the End of the World as We Know It (And I Feel Fine)" skyrocketed 184% to 1,000 downloads sold and 48% in on-demand U.S. streams to 746,000. R.E.M.'s "Everybody Hurts" rose 33% in digital song sales and 2% to 290,000 streams, and "Losing My Religion" gained 11% in sales.

Some other virus-related songs that have gained in sales and streaming over the past week:

The Knack, "My Sharona"
Up 43% in digital song sales to 1,000
Up 18% in total on-demand U.S. streams to 876,000

"Weird Al" Yankovic, "My Bologna"
Up 16% in total on-demand U.S. streams to 16,000

Gloria Gaynor, "I Will Survive"
Up 22% in digital song sales to 1,000
Up 3% in on-demand U.S. audio streams to 678,000

Joy Division, "Isolation"
Up 50% in digital song sales
Up 7% in total on-demand U.S. streams to 27,000

The Minutemen, "Corona"
Up 70% in digital song sales
Up 26% in total on-demand U.S. streams to 63,000

Disturbed, "Down With the Sickness"
Up 10% in digital song sales to 1,000
Up 1% in total on-demand U.S. streams to 2.6 million

Bad Religion, "Infected"
Up 4% in total on-demand U.S. streams to 63,000

Shwayze, "Corona and Lime"
Up 12% in total on-demand U.S. streams to 117,000

I would be more worried if the top ones were "Baby, Can You Dig Your Man" or "Don't Fear The Reaper"

Paco

• Tourist
« Reply #3695 on: March 17, 2020, 07:30:30 PM »

The Dropkick Murphys are streaming their annual St. Patricks Day concert live from Boston. Sans audience.

https://youtu.be/5j06g0TE_Ao

MissKitty

• Hooray Beer!
  • City Elder
« Reply #3696 on: March 17, 2020, 07:31:15 PM »

Some artists are doing virtual concerts via stageit.com. Rhett Miller is doing his first show tomorrow night (Wed. March 18) on the platform for free, just to test it out. It happens at 9 p.m. EST.

Robyn Hitchcock is doing a show on there (also tomorrow) for the East Nashville Community Fundraiser.

I know that doesn't help our local scene but it at least gives fans a way to support their favorite artists.
Duct tape can't fix stupid.

Drjohnrock

• City Elder
  • Wondering whassup? It's Fall sound!
« Reply #3697 on: March 17, 2020, 08:43:15 PM »

A lot of folks don't have a lot of money to throw around in such uncertain times.  I know I don't.  But I'm going to try to go to a couple of band website and buy some merch, helping out even if it's just a little.
I refuse to shut up about Johnny Dowd until the world recognizes his musical genius.  I may lose my voice before that happens but at least I can enjoy the man's music while going mute.

Don't feed trolls by responding to or acknowledging them.

Kwyjibo

• Bringing Grumpy Back
  • City Elder
« Reply #3698 on: March 18, 2020, 08:36:27 AM »

On Friday Bandcamp is forgoing their share of all sales and giving them to artists.  They've done this sort of thing before, and I love them for it.  Bandcamp is the only place I'll buy digital music.
Baby, check this out, I've got something to say.  Man, it's so loud in here.
Pages: 1 ... 245 246 [247]   Go Up