Randomville

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
GigaBook.com
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: 2007 NaNoWriMo  (Read 12484 times)

scurvygirl

• Fiery One
  • City Elder
    • Scurvytown
2007 NaNoWriMo
« on: October 30, 2007, 05:48:04 PM »

Yay it's my favorite crazy time of year again!

We actually got a few people interested in participating in write-ins and stuff in crappy Butler, PA!

I've got a partial outline, gotta tackle that and get it done tonight, and then YAY the insanity begins at 12:01am on the first!!!

This year's topic is sort of steampunk, sort of dystopian future, and possibly riddled with time traveling madness, but possibly not.
Remember to always be yourself.  Unless you suck.~ My BIG DAMN hero, Joss Whedon

Bonne et heureuse semaine!

scurvygirl

• Fiery One
  • City Elder
    • Scurvytown
Re: 2007 NaNoWriMo
« Reply #1 on: November 09, 2007, 12:09:41 AM »

NaNoWriMo, Week One!

The first week of NaNoWriMo has flashed by in a blur.  I should be somewhere in the ballpark of 13K words as of tonight, but I have only just passed 9K.  Not to fret, at least not yet, I will definitely make some progress on this book on Friday night and over the weekend.

I have a couple of write-ins scheduled for this weekend, and if they are anywhere near as productive as Wednesday night's write-in, then I will be right back on track in no time.

I wasn't feeling this novel too well until I got to chapter 3.  I really had a lot of fun with it, and I am finally starting to like my protagonist now that stuff is happening to her and she isn't such a miserable twunt anymore.

Oddly, I am finding a slight struggle within myself to keep writing just because it's November and I want to finish this thing a fifth year in a row... meanwhile there's this writer's strike going on and even though I'm nowhere near it, I can't help feeling a bit of camaraderie for the writers involved.  Especially since my big damn hero is one of the ones on strike.  Go Joss!  But please to be settling this thing soon because I am drooling with anticipation for this Dollhouse project!

Anyway, that is where things stand at the end of the first week of writing. It's been a long, strange week, and along with the struggle that is maintaining a decent word count, there has been the shitstorm that is being audited at work, among countless hardware issues with my vital work-related machines that I can't function in my job without, and breaking out in hives from stress, it's just been a special kind of hell week.
Remember to always be yourself.  Unless you suck.~ My BIG DAMN hero, Joss Whedon

scurvygirl

• Fiery One
  • City Elder
    • Scurvytown
« Reply #2 on: November 11, 2007, 09:59:52 PM »

NaNoWriMo: The big weekend!

Yay, this weekend was awesome for my word count!

I should be at 18,337 as of midnight tonight, but I am well over that, not quite at the halfway point, but I'll be there soon enough, and before the midpoint, which is great because O and I are taking that night off of writing to go to the They Might Be Giants show in Pittsburgh.

I figured out a fun little trick to get the word count up.  I downloaded a countdown clock widget, and I sit and see how many words I can write in 15 minutes.  Sometimes O and I have word wars, too, which is fun.  So far my record is 771 words in 15 minutes.  I'd love to break 1K in 15 minutes, but I doubt I have that in me.

kcneon

• City Elder
    • Resurrection Neon
« Reply #3 on: November 11, 2007, 10:05:54 PM »

Keep up the good work, L!!

scurvygirl

• Fiery One
  • City Elder
    • Scurvytown
« Reply #4 on: November 18, 2007, 09:35:29 PM »

Well this year's NaNo is turning out even better than I thought it would. 

I am not only right on schedule, but I am a full day ahead of myself.  And since I am over 31K words already, this last week will probably be all it takes for me to get to 50K.  I have about 12 days left, I think, once midnight rolls around.

I had a GREAT run of 3K at the write-in at Panera on Saturday, mostly because no one else was there until about 3:30 (and O was at a nerd tourney in Wexford).  So that meant just me type type typing away for 1.5 hours, creating a much needed new character, who actually has not really shown up in any of the action, but turns out to be the one responsible for all the drama going on.  Good times. Also added a maybe love interest for my protagonist, but that might be too much mess than is worth it for this short a story, but the possibility is there if I get desperate for more plot or something.

Anyway, things are going well, I have a possible ending figured out, and right now I need to work on a fun passage of the book that Owen helped me work out last night, called the "cupcake paradox."  Gotta get it down before I forget.  It might just take me up to the 35K mark tonight, but we'll see.  That is my goal to be at by tomorrow night.

scurvygirl

• Fiery One
  • City Elder
    • Scurvytown
« Reply #5 on: November 18, 2007, 09:36:07 PM »

Keep up the good work, L!!

Thanks! 

Also yay someone other than me posting in this thread!   :pirate:  Yarrrr!

scurvygirl

• Fiery One
  • City Elder
    • Scurvytown
« Reply #6 on: November 21, 2007, 05:31:01 PM »

So, checking in again...

I should be at 35K today.

I'm over 36K.  Yay, me!

And we're having a write-in tonight at 7, so I will be well on my way to 40K by midnight tonight, which puts me well over the goal and well on the way to winning this bitch early.  Just got to figure out how to get the ending sorted out, and I don't have that many words to go to get there, so this should be good... I'll probably end up well over word count just to get the book finished properly.  This is probably my best NaNo yet...

Dan

• Tetris Master
  • City Elder
« Reply #7 on: November 21, 2007, 06:19:11 PM »

I think this is fabulous that you do this all the time. But at the same time, I'm always saddened that I hear about the stories but never get to read them.

Anyway, keep up the good work!

scurvygirl

• Fiery One
  • City Elder
    • Scurvytown
« Reply #8 on: November 27, 2007, 09:18:43 PM »

Thanks, Dan!

Well, I got sick for a couple of days (Thanksgiving and Black Friday were the worst!).  I didn't write either of those days because I was either at sleep or at work hating life.  However, at that point, it didn't matter because I was so far ahead.  I am 900 words from the target, and diving in shortly to make it across the finish line.

I set myself up for a steampunky sequel with a much more interesting minor character, lol.  I am so silly, I swear.  Maybe one day you'll get to read some of these things.  I am starting to get a bit more serious about the editing process now that I know I can churn this shit out like nothing, and still have loads of fun doing it.

scurvygirl

• Fiery One
  • City Elder
    • Scurvytown
« Reply #9 on: November 27, 2007, 10:18:48 PM »

W00t!  And I did it!  Just crossed the finish line a bit ago.  Just need to finish the last chapter and the I'll upload the book so I can get verified and get my winner's certificate.  YAY!

trixi

• Sun Bum
  • Global Moderator
  • City Elder
  • My heart belongs to Ryne Sandberg
« Reply #10 on: November 27, 2007, 10:25:03 PM »

Congrats! 
"Beware the lustful fires that burn in a librarian's heart. They can rage beyond all control."

Dan

• Tetris Master
  • City Elder
« Reply #11 on: November 28, 2007, 09:51:11 AM »

Way to go!

va-vacious

• City Elder
    • http://va-vacious.livejournal.com
« Reply #12 on: November 28, 2007, 07:43:56 PM »

Well done! I'm all curious about steampunk now!

scurvygirl

• Fiery One
  • City Elder
    • Scurvytown
« Reply #13 on: November 28, 2007, 10:00:51 PM »

W00t!

And steampunk, well, I set myself up to continue in this genre/ world for pretty much forever.  I created a world, took liberties with science, and did it in the name of science!  Bwahahahaha!  This one wasn't as steampunky as I wanted, but man, in my final chapters, I made a time traveler retirement community in Robin Hood era/ locale.  I so didn't see that one coming.  That pushes it back a bit far, but I also set up a fabulous side character, who I desperately want to sent to the Victorian era, where most steampunk stuff is set, by definition, at least by the definitions I found.  Think Jules Verne type novels.  Fun stuff!

Cockney Rebel

• I don't have an accent. You do.
  • Global Moderator
  • City Elder
  • Art is impossible to define. Shitty art is not.
« Reply #14 on: December 20, 2007, 10:40:01 AM »

I made you an award....

Opulence. I has it.
Pages: [1]   Go Up