Randomville

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
GigaBook.com
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Middletown makes the Top 10....  (Read 2663 times)

Cockney Rebel

• I don't have an accent. You do.
  • Global Moderator
  • City Elder
  • Art is impossible to define. Shitty art is not.
Middletown makes the Top 10....
« on: December 11, 2008, 05:50:48 PM »

...erm.. of Forbes' American Fastest Dying Towns....

Linky Linky

Wow, I guess relying on only AK Steel all those years eventually paid off for the clueless maroons on the council?
Opulence. I has it.

matt

• Citizen
    • Every Issue Presents Itself
Re: Middletown makes the Top 10....
« Reply #1 on: December 11, 2008, 10:55:49 PM »

Will SOMEBODY PLEASE tell me the secret to getting out of this god-forsaken town??
There is no such thing as a dirty word. Nor is there a word so powerful, that it's going to send the listener to the lake of fire upon hearing it.
-- Frank Zappa

Kwyjibo

• Bringing Grumpy Back
  • City Elder
« Reply #2 on: December 12, 2008, 07:31:03 AM »

The secret is being willing to pay twice as much for a house somewhere else as you would in Middletown.
Baby, check this out, I've got something to say.  Man, it's so loud in here.

Butter

• Suffering from early-onset douchiness
  • City Elder
« Reply #3 on: December 12, 2008, 07:32:48 AM »

The secret is being willing to pay twice as much for a house somewhere decent to live as you would in Middletown.

Fix'd.

Juliana

• City Elder
« Reply #4 on: December 12, 2008, 10:09:55 AM »

I don't know, I really enjoy where we live.  It's a nice quiet little street.
We all agree that genocide, avalanches, and Family Circus are not funny
-Ed Helms

Kwyjibo

• Bringing Grumpy Back
  • City Elder
« Reply #5 on: December 12, 2008, 10:29:35 AM »

The secret is being willing to pay twice as much for a house somewhere decent to live as you would in Middletown.

Fix'd.

You know, Burton Road isn't all that different from East Bataan there pal, except we don't have any problems with our neighbors.

Doug

« Reply #6 on: December 12, 2008, 01:32:32 PM »

You know, Burton Road isn't all that different from East Bataan there pal, except we don't have any problems with our neighbors.
He has a point.

At least Middletown is number 10.  If the schools didn't suck so bad, we'd probably be moving back there ourselves.

Kwyjibo

• Bringing Grumpy Back
  • City Elder
« Reply #7 on: December 12, 2008, 01:36:14 PM »

At least Middletown is number 10.  If the schools didn't suck so bad, we'd probably be moving back there ourselves.

Depends on which schools you're talking about.  I get the impression the ones on our side of town aren't that bad.  Now when you go over to the West side of town, it's a different story.

You should move on over, there are so many houses for sale in Middletown it's insane.

Butter

• Suffering from early-onset douchiness
  • City Elder
« Reply #8 on: December 12, 2008, 02:22:31 PM »

Crazy guy moved away, and his dad moved to West Virginia.  So, we are nearly 8% less thuggy than before.

Doug

« Reply #9 on: December 15, 2008, 01:22:31 PM »

Depends on which schools you're talking about.  I get the impression the ones on our side of town aren't that bad.  Now when you go over to the West side of town, it's a different story.

You should move on over, there are so many houses for sale in Middletown it's insane.
Oh, I dunno.  The wife does all he research and what she found about Middletown wasn't too promising.  The area for Dayton Public that we are in actually tested better.

It might be a possibility though.  Since I'm working in Cincy now, it makes sense to move closer.  And my parents are selling their old house in Middletown, so I already know where I'd live if we decided to move.

Doug

« Reply #10 on: December 15, 2008, 01:30:33 PM »

Back on the topic of my home town being in the top 10 dyingest cities in America....can I just tell you how depressing it is the more I think about it?

matt

• Citizen
    • Every Issue Presents Itself
« Reply #11 on: December 15, 2008, 11:38:16 PM »

I attended a post-Obama campaign meeting here the other night.  The Obama Campaign natipnally is in the process of forming ideas for ever state, to have paid staff members in every state to try to help maintian a connection between the grassroots locally and the Obama Administration of (at least) the next 4 years.  I think it's a great idea, but their plans haven't been finalized and made public yet.  in the meantime, we're trying to keep the volunteers form the Presidential campaign organized and the grassroots planted here in town.  I can't say that I am as fired up and passionate about wanting to make changes here in Middletown as I was for the Obama campaign, but I figure as long as I'm here and paying taxes and sending my kids tothe schools I can at least participate in the brainstorming and idea-forming process and contribute somehow.  We're trying to come up with some ideas of things to do and ways to do... something.  Most people in the group of 20-30 people agree that jobs and education are pretty much at the top of the list for things to change here, but truthfully - there is SO MUCH about this town that needs to change, namely the leadership.  The people who are running it are the same cadre of people who have been in power for the last 20+ years.  I agree that this city needs new blood running it, but the people who don't have strong roots here are leaving more and more every year, so there's not much new blood left to choose from when election time rolls around.  Hopefully, if the economy turns around in the next year or two and the amount of property sales and foreclosures decreases, the decline in property value will level out and start going back up, and people will take advantageof the low interest rates & start buying some of the available property at more affordable prices.  By that time, it'll be time for a new local election and some new people & ideas can step up.  It's wishful thinking, I know.
There is no such thing as a dirty word. Nor is there a word so powerful, that it's going to send the listener to the lake of fire upon hearing it.
-- Frank Zappa

Juliana

• City Elder
« Reply #12 on: December 16, 2008, 10:18:53 AM »

There's no reason that I know of that Middletown shouldn't be huge in the next few years.  Liberty Township is about full, those people have to move somewhere.
-Ed Helms

Kwyjibo

• Bringing Grumpy Back
  • City Elder
« Reply #13 on: December 16, 2008, 10:45:12 AM »

I dunno.  The real screwjob for Middletown is going to be that new Outlet Mall they're building in Monroe.  CBL wants to tear down Towne Mall and do something more upscale (I even heard something about a bigger better Target being part of that plan) and attract more retail which would be huge for the economy there but there's just not going to be a market for it now. 

One thing that Forbe's is not taking into consideration is the contract Magellan Aerospace (Aeronca) won to provide materials for the space shuttle replacement.  From what I read that's going to create a lot of jobs.

I have to believe that the eventual recovery of the economy will solve a lot of Middletown's problems.  Somebody said that we're too reliant on AK steel and that's true, especially since the demand for steel to be used in cars and other goods is way down.  Once AK gets back on it's feet (there will always be cars, no matter what they're powered by) a lot of these houses will sell and things will be at least somewhat better.  The question is can we get other industries to come in?  We've got a lot of empty paper mills and other buildings that surely could be used for something.

Of course then we have the problem of too much Section 8 housing.  I'm not sure of the exact numbers but Middletown accounts for a relatively low portion of the population of Butler County, something like 5% or 6% I want to say but on the other hand something like 80% of Middletown's population is Section 8.  That's not good at all.

Juliana

• City Elder
« Reply #14 on: December 16, 2008, 11:15:14 AM »

With the grown south (Liberty township)
and the growth to the northeast (Lebanon and Springboro), you'd just think that Middletown would have to be next. 

All the retail in town, save the stupid Towne Mall, seems to do really well.
There's a really nice fine arts center
Easy access to I75, and close proximity to both Dayton and Cincinnati (and points inbetween) job markets
Affordable housing

I mean, if Trenton can do it, why can't we?
-Ed Helms
Pages: [1]   Go Up