Randomville

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
GigaBook.com
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5   Go Down

Author Topic: iTunes questions  (Read 19267 times)

whigsgeek

• protector of small children and bunny rabbits
  • City Elder
  • Yes, it is I ...
Re: iTunes questions
« Reply #15 on: April 29, 2008, 11:08:14 AM »

See, the whole thing is stupid.

You're not kidding. After I was successful with the A's and B's, I did the C's and D's. For reasons only iTunes can explain, when I copied all files from Cabaret Voltaire through Duran Duran to the flash drive, it also copied a ton of other stuff -- like Nine Inch Nails, Lemonheads, Morrissey. I don't understand it. I don't want to understand it. I'm just going to forge ahead following W's suggestions. Thanks again!
I gather speed from you fucking with me.

Bronzetree

• Punching Bag
  • City Elder
« Reply #16 on: April 29, 2008, 11:44:30 AM »

It could have copied them based on the way the song is tagged as opposed to its file name.

rva

« Reply #17 on: April 29, 2008, 12:00:05 PM »

I think it's probably the reverse where it copied them based on file/folder name instead of tags. 

So when you move the C's you are moving closer_to_God.mp3 and certain_people_i_know.mp3.  Itunes reads through the tags and straightens all that stuff out for you when you play the songs, but doesn't mess with the filenames unless you ask it too.

whigsgeek

• City Elder
  • Yes, it is I ...
« Reply #18 on: April 29, 2008, 12:48:04 PM »

I think it's probably the reverse where it copied them based on file/folder name instead of tags. 

So when you move the C's you are moving closer_to_God.mp3 and certain_people_i_know.mp3.

If only it were that logical. The songs it's moving are all over the map alphabetically. For example, when I copied the Cabaret Voltaire through Duran Duran files, it moved (among others):

Happy Mondays, "24 Hour Party People"
INXS, "Need You Tonight" (but none of my other INXS songs)
OMD, "So In Love"
Phil Seymour, "Precious to Me"

whigsgeek

• City Elder
  • Yes, it is I ...
« Reply #19 on: April 29, 2008, 01:23:54 PM »

Aha! I've figured it out. Buried in the middle of the "C" folders is one titled "Compilations," which has every song I've ever imported from a soundtrack or other compilation recording. That explains why it pulled "Need You Tonight" (which came from a compilation) and not any other INXS tracks (which came from the actual INXS discs).

whigsgeek

• City Elder
  • Yes, it is I ...
« Reply #20 on: April 29, 2008, 02:49:41 PM »

Aha! I've figured it out. Buried in the middle of the "C" folders is one titled "Compilations," which has every song I've ever imported from a soundtrack or other compilation recording. That explains why it pulled "Need You Tonight" (which came from a compilation) and not any other INXS tracks (which came from the actual INXS discs).

But not entirely, for I'm finding loads of tracks filed under artist name that I imported from soundtracks/compilations -- for example, Kylie Minogue's "Can't Get Blue Monday Out of My Head" was imported from the Layer Cake soundtrack, but it's showing up in a Kylie Minogue folder instead of the Compilations folder. Viva iTunes!  :P

Kwyjibo

• Bringing Grumpy Back
  • City Elder
« Reply #21 on: April 30, 2008, 04:23:58 PM »

But not entirely, for I'm finding loads of tracks filed under artist name that I imported from soundtracks/compilations -- for example, Kylie Minogue's "Can't Get Blue Monday Out of My Head" was imported from the Layer Cake soundtrack, but it's showing up in a Kylie Minogue folder instead of the Compilations folder. Viva iTunes!  :P

This is actually Gracenote CDDB's fault, or more accurately the fault of whoever added the tracklisting to Gracenote.  It just wasn't flagged as a comp, that's all.

If you want iTunes to keep your stuff really straight you have to check and make sure all of the tagging is accurate.  If you want that soundtrack to move to your compilations folder just highlight it, click control+i and check of the "part of a compilation" box.
Baby, check this out, I've got something to say.  Man, it's so loud in here.

Cockney Rebel

• I don't have an accent. You do.
  • Global Moderator
  • City Elder
  • Art is impossible to define. Shitty art is not.
« Reply #22 on: May 10, 2008, 05:36:59 PM »

OK, so MK & I are REALLY getting pissed off with iTunes' ludicrously bloated and labyrinthene filing system - plus how the set-up appears (of late) to just 'lose' files (especially just recently-purchased songs) without giving us a clue where they might have disappeared to. It has just taken me the best part of several hours to sort out something that should - in a real world - take me just a few minutes. Jobs and Co are rapidly disappearing up their collective, secretive arses as far as I am concerned.

So, whilst we (for financial reasons) will remain with our iPods and iTunes primarily for a while longer, I want to start checking out alternatives for the future. A new software program to handle our music (simply, and without recourse to iTunes wankdom) across our networked PCs and suggestions as to what players we might investigate that are NOTHING to do with Apple.

What does the team think?
Opulence. I has it.

Dan

• Tetris Master
  • City Elder
« Reply #23 on: February 19, 2009, 01:30:16 PM »

I used to be able to delete a song in my iTunes and it would delete the song on my harddrive as well. I must have hit the wrong button or whatnot, because now it does not delete the song on the harddrive - just within iTunes.

How do I get that back? I've spent much too much time trying to figure it out but with no luck.

Nate

• Kevin Durant's baby mama.
  • City Elder
  • Best Album Never Made.
    • Randomville
« Reply #24 on: February 19, 2009, 03:49:24 PM »

I used to be able to delete a song in my iTunes and it would delete the song on my harddrive as well. I must have hit the wrong button or whatnot, because now it does not delete the song on the harddrive - just within iTunes.

How do I get that back? I've spent much too much time trying to figure it out but with no luck.

Do a search for the song on your hard drive.  Then drag it to the desktop, or drag it back into itunes, and then properly delete it.
Each day you have a choice - hilarity or insanity.

rva

« Reply #25 on: February 19, 2009, 04:20:47 PM »

Do a search for the song on your hard drive.  Then drag it to the desktop, or drag it back into itunes, and then properly delete it.

What?!?  No.  That's how Asobi Seksu deletes music files from their hard drives.

It's like "My car is broken, how do I get to the grocery store?"  "Walk to the grocery store, and then right before you walk through the door, turn around and walk all the way back home and get in your car and maybe your car will start and you can drive to the grocery store."

You drag it to your desktop, you might just be creating a shortcut and then deleting the short cut while the file stays.  If you redrag it to iTunes, iTunes may properly resync itself to the proper file, but why bother to resync something you're about to delete in .00005 seconds anyway?  Especially when iTunes has already shown itself to suck at deleting stuff from your hard drive?

You want something deleted from your hard drive, you locate it, right click delete.  It's the manual, brute force way but it works.  iTunes is supposed to *save* time from doing that.  Once you've already been forced to do it manually, iTunes has already failed.  Why try to involve it in the process again?

The answer is that iTunes is no longer syncing itself to your hard drive.  And what may actually be happening is that iTunes is simply copying files from your hard drive to it's own iTunes directory and you may have two copies of everything on your computer. 
« Last Edit: February 19, 2009, 05:23:27 PM by rva »

Dan

• Tetris Master
  • City Elder
« Reply #26 on: February 19, 2009, 05:19:54 PM »

I can always go through windows explorer and delete manually. I know how to do that.
I'm trying to figure out how to get iTunes to delete it for me. If I have it on my harddrive, I have it in iTunes. If I don't have it in iTunes, I don't want it on my harddrive.

I looked for something that syncs my iTunes with my local drive, but I can't see anything. I check to make sure that there aren't two copies of every song, and I am certain this is not the case.  ???

rva

« Reply #27 on: February 19, 2009, 05:34:34 PM »

There's an option to check if you want iTunes to manage your music files.  BE VERY CAREFUL ABOUT CHECKING THIS OPTION.

If you do it, iTunes will rearrange all of your files into iTunes music folders.  The folders will correspond with .mp3 tags, and the structure will be Music folder you choose->Artist->album.  So you have to be comfortable with that directory structure.  Moreover, all of your music has to be properly tagged or it won't create the proper folders or won't file them properly.  That goes for compilations, too.  If you have the "Footloose" soundtrack, you will probably get one folder for Kenny Loggins and another for Bonnie Tyler.  And I know how much you love listening to the "Footloose" soundtrack.

So long as you select this option, or if you don't care about your file directory structure, iTunes does a fine job of keeping your files sorted and deleting something in iTunes will delete on your harddrive.

If that is not the case, DO NOT SELECT THIS OPTION.  Because iTunes won't warn you.. it'll just start rearranging everything in your library and it will be nearly impossible to get it back the way it was without spending many, many hours manually renaming things.

My guess is, you do not currently have this option checked.  Which means that you do NOT want iTunes messing with your files.  In which case, iTunes simply deleting a file off your library and not your hard drive is actually a rather reasonable thing for it to do.

It's just that iTunes doesn't bother to tell you about any of this.

Ella Minnow Pea

• Numbers Guru
  • Administrator
  • City Elder
  • Reference Desk
« Reply #28 on: February 19, 2009, 09:37:06 PM »

He's looking for the "Do you want to move the selected song to the Recycle Bin, or keep it in the iTunes Music folder? Only files in the iTunes Music folder will be moved to the Recycle Bin."

I agree with RVA that your setting for "Keep iTunes Music folder organized" has been turned off on the Advanced tab. I like having iTunes keep my files organized, but then again, I'm only using iTunes with my library, so I'm not concerned about the folder structure for other players.
also known as rcc94

rva

« Reply #29 on: February 19, 2009, 09:47:55 PM »

Yeah, exactly.  He doesn't get that pop-up question because his "keep iTunes Music folder 'organized'" is not checked.

I too, have iTunes organize my folder.  Mostly because they already screwed me on that long ago and re-arranged my file structure iTunes-style.  Now it's just easier to stick with it than to change it back, and I guess I really don't have too much objection to the way iTunes does it anyway.  And other players do it just as arbitrarily and badly.

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5   Go Up