Randomville

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
GigaBook.com
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5]   Go Down

Author Topic: iTunes questions  (Read 11196 times)

rva

Re: iTunes questions
« Reply #60 on: December 16, 2010, 02:51:42 PM »

What do you mean by "use iTunes?" 

If you have purchased songs via iTunes store, they may be DRM so you can't play them on non-Apple equipment.

If you use iTunes to sync your songs, you will have to find some other software to do your syncing.  But there is plenty of non-itunes software that will automatically sync your itunes folder (and/or any other folder you wish) to your device.

Or you can just drag and drop files.  Most mp3 players nowadays just plug into your machine and are seen as an extra disk drive.  Just like if you had a USB jumpdrive.  So all you have to do is use regular windows and drag and drop your music folders like you normally do.  You can even *gasp* see exactly what's on your mp3 player and browse through the directories.  Which is something Dan could use right about now.

You can continue to use iTunes on your PC or laptop just like you normally do.

You will have to use whatever app or software is available on your device, and it won't be iTunes.  So it may not look as good or be as easy to use as iPod.  But it's not like you won't be able to sync to your iTunes folder or play your songs (unless they are iTunes Store purchases with DRM).  It just might be a little annoying is all.

vizzah

• Self-cleaning mutant
  • City Elder
« Reply #61 on: December 16, 2010, 04:16:26 PM »

Gotchya. Sorry I wasn't more specific, but you still answered my question.  I really don't even know what the fuck "syncing" means, to be perfectly honest.  I've had itunes for 5+ years, so you'd think I would, but I don't. I just do what I need to do and don't pay attention to technical details. 
 I just wanted to know if loading my files onto a non-ipod mp3 player is going to be complicated. 
In case of emergency, breakdance.

Ella Minnow Pea

• Numbers Guru
  • Administrator
  • City Elder
  • Reference Desk
« Reply #62 on: December 16, 2010, 07:56:42 PM »

Basically, as long as your files are MP3 files, you should be good to go - but you can't use iTunes to copy them to the player. If they are in a different format, then you may have to be more selective in which portable music player you get.
also known as rcc94

Dan

• Tetris Master
  • City Elder
    • http://profiles.yahoo.com/mistergugi
« Reply #63 on: December 17, 2010, 09:35:31 AM »

I've done a little web searching, and it sounds like there are two solutions.

1) do a restore of the phone. I'm not sure what this requires of me and would prefer not to do so.

2) Some user comments suggested "goto settings/ safari and clear history, cookies and cache" I will definitely try this at home tonight. I found that idea below this article:
http://www.iphonefaq.org/archives/97281

It sounds like "other" should take up 300 MB, which is a lot better than the (currently) 1.45 GB that it is consuming. And some of those users had 4 GB or even 7GB, so clearly this is something that should be rectified by Apple. If it's as simple as your clearing your cache they should at least make this solution more publicized.

I hope it works.

Intarwebs FAIL.
It reduced my "other" from 1.45 GB to 1.38 GB, so that's nice, but it still doesn't solve the problem. I mean, it makes no sense that I have to continuously delete music off my device just so I can have the same amount of space. In 6 months, it will be taking up 2 or 3 GBs, and that's bull.

Of course, I haven't done the full restore yet, either.

rva

« Reply #64 on: December 17, 2010, 12:00:35 PM »

I'm sorry. man.  Not being able to browse the folders on your hard drive is just fucking stupid. 

Try downloading this:
http://www.macroplant.com/iphoneexplorer/

Nate

• Kevin Durant's baby mama.
  • Administrator
  • City Elder
  • Best Album Never Made.
    • Randomville
« Reply #65 on: November 17, 2011, 12:40:40 AM »

So I bought itunes match and wanted to share my user experiences...

-It took about 18 hours, I'd guess to scan my library and upload the songs itunes didn't have.  I let it run overnight and checked on it in the morning.  I have a library of a little less than 14,000 songs.

-Now I'm starting in on upgrading the low-bit rate tracks (anything less than 160kbps that wasn't already uploaded to itunes).  Yeesh.  This will take a while.  I think there was about 2000 of these.  I think if I get ambitious, I'm going to start in on anything less than 192kbps, though this will be about half my library.  This'll be a project over the next month or so. 

-The process itself is pretty easy after the initial scan is done.  Just delete a matched track from your library, and hit the cloud icon to re-download it at 256 kbps.

-However, there are some flaws.  On two albums in particular (Green Day's 'American Idiot' and the essential Black Crowes's 'Southern Harmony and Musical Companion' I had ripped at 160 AAC back in the day.  Some of the tracks did not get matched to itunes, but were uploaded instead.  I have no idea why this happened.  I'm hoping glitches like these will be fixed in a software update (also when I hold down the scroll button, it stops automatically after three or so songs).  I hate the idea of re-ripping those CDs (this is why I liked the idea of itunes match in the first place).

Anyone else have any experiences to share?
Each day you have a choice - hilarity or insanity.

rva

« Reply #66 on: November 17, 2011, 03:18:35 PM »

I haven't done it, but now maybe I will.

That actually sounds like it went pretty smooth.  You're moving an assload of data, so 18 hours is actually pretty fast.  I think it took me over two weeks to get all my stuff moved in lala's people mover back in the day, although I don't think I left it running straight overnight.

I'd also say only losing two albums is pretty good.  When you rip stuff, who knows what gets put into the ID3 tag?  Like usually they'll pull it off of Gracenote or something, but what if Gracenote has an error, and then later they fixed it so what you have is not what Apple has.  Or somewhere along the line you accidentally changed a tag, or some data glitch scrambled something.  I mean, the vast majority of the time it works, but there's always a big of leakage.

twentyshots

• City Elder
« Reply #67 on: November 15, 2013, 11:12:46 PM »

ok....i hesitate to ask, but i do think i might get an answer i can understand here....
-i have an outdated mac mini with itunes(10) on it (apps and only about 1300 songs)
-i have an outdated iphone 4 that i used to sync to said mac mini, but in the last year it and the mini have gotten slower and doesn't even sync half the time

-because of this, and space constraints on each device, i quit buying itunes songs and adding songs from my own CDs
-in the spring i bought a macbook but never successfully synced the old phone to it, which never bothered me because
-i knew i was getting an iphone 5S (this week)

how would you put all of this together??
i have watched videos and read articles...everything from transferring the library by flash drive/CDs to home sharing to transferring purchases......what makes the most sense, and in what order and am i asking the right questions?
it's like, the more i read up, the more confused i became. itunes used to be easy but these new elements have me all mixed up.

please don't make me go to the apple genius.
« Last Edit: November 15, 2013, 11:17:55 PM by twentyshots »
...and on the woxy wind came forth a tumblin' dickweed.

MissKitty

• Hooray Beer!
  • City Elder
« Reply #68 on: November 16, 2013, 07:13:16 AM »

I am new to the Mac world, having just gotten a new MacBook Air for my birthday recently. I was totally freaking out that I would not be able to sync my iTunes library across from Windows XP to the new MacBook. So I'm not sure if my solution will work for you or not, Twentyshots, but it sounds as though your problem is similar in that you are looking for the best way to sync your library to your new device.

We have a friend who is an Apple Genius. He and his wife came over to help me with the transition, because I have no idea what I was doing. He said that because my iTunes library was spread out over several places (mostly on an external drive but some downloads - stuff dl'd for free or purchased at sites other than itunes - were on my laptop's hard drive), the best way to sync everything to one place would be via a home sharing network.

Home sharing will take longer to migrate your data across than if you can transfer everything using an external drive (flash or other hard drive), but our friend said that home sharing will find every song in the iTunes library, regardless of where it is located. He said that I could sync songs downloaded to my other mobile devices too, but I have never downloaded anything to my phone or iTouch, so I didn't have to do that part.

I've got a pretty good sized library and the migration took several days (nonstop) but probably part of that was because our internet speed got hosed after Time Warner took over Insight. And probably because CR was away and I didn't know how to switch off his bit torrenting device, so that was still running and probably slowing down the speed.

Anyway, since you want to sync across several devices, home sharing is probably the way to go, at least based on what my Apple friend recommended.
« Last Edit: November 16, 2013, 10:27:10 AM by MissKitty »
Duct tape can't fix stupid.

MissKitty

• Hooray Beer!
  • City Elder
« Reply #69 on: November 16, 2013, 07:23:03 AM »

One more thing. I knew nothing about home sharing and it was very easy to set up. Basically all you have to do is switch on the home sharing option for each device you want to sync, and which device you want to sync to, and it does the rest as if by magic. I was amazed by it.

And when CR upgrades to a MacBook and syncs with home sharing, we will both be able to access each others iTunes libraries.
« Last Edit: November 16, 2013, 10:27:38 AM by MissKitty »

twentyshots

• City Elder
« Reply #70 on: November 16, 2013, 11:36:34 AM »

thanks for taking the time to answer this. i read home sharing would be a good solution (and easy), but wasn't sure if those songs stay on the laptop once i leave the home......and if i could eventually nuke the old computer where they originate from.....

MissKitty

• Hooray Beer!
  • City Elder
« Reply #71 on: November 16, 2013, 04:49:44 PM »

I think the songs stay with whichever device you designate as the base. I synced mine to an external hard drive that is plugged into my laptop. I haven't synced my iTouch using the home sharing option -mostly because I'm lazy, but also because Spotify premium allows me to download playlists from them, so I don't have to bother dealing with iTunes on the iTouch.

I'm not lucky enough to have an iPhone!

twentyshots

• City Elder
« Reply #72 on: November 17, 2013, 12:03:55 AM »

after about 15 more videos and the arrival of 500GB external hard drive, i went with copying the itunes folder and relocating it on the new computer. it seems to have worked and i actually synched my (old) phone for the first time on my new computer. just in time to hopefully start fresh tomorrow with a new phone.

what is interesting though is that i was still prompted to authorized the new computer....it acknowledged that i was sharing on 2 devices....hmmm....guess we will see what happens down the road.

although i ended up going another route, thanks misskitty for your insight.

MissKitty

• Hooray Beer!
  • City Elder
« Reply #73 on: November 17, 2013, 06:46:36 AM »

Yay! I'm glad you got it sorted out, regardless of the method.

I'm still a Mac newb, so I probably don't know what I am talking about, but I think that once you sync the new iPhone you can deauthorize the old one, and you will still only have two devices sharing your library, instead of three.
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5]   Go Up