Randomville

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
GigaBook.com
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down

Author Topic: Runner's World  (Read 6117 times)

clemsonfan

• RN
  • City Elder
Runner's World
« on: May 28, 2008, 10:13:15 AM »

So, I've never been much of a runner. My entire childhood and 20's were spent trying to avoid running at all cost. I was never fast, so why try at all? Well, now that I'm 31 I'm finally seeing that being fast isn't the most important thing. Challenging yourself is pretty cool.

I've decided to face my fear of running head on by training for a 5K. No specific 5k in mind, but sometime in the next year or so I would like to run a 5K. Not walk, run. The past week or so I've been starting some light interval training. I'm an avid walker but extremely new to running. Plus I have knee problems so I decided to take it slow. I walk for 4 minutes at a moderate pace and then I jog for 1 minute. I repeat this 5-6 times and then I end with a cool down walk of about 15-20 minutes. I got a Wii fit this week so I have been doing the run on that as well. The first day I did the "short run" which is a 2 minute jog. The Wii actually complemented me on my running by saying that I had a great pace. Apparently I'm pretty consistent. Yesterday I did my usual interval training and then did some Wii fit. I did the "short run" again and last night I also did the "long run" which is a 5 minute jog. That's a big accomplishment for me!

So this morning I decided that I was ready for the next level. I headed out to the Y (because it was chilly outside) and did a 50 minute interval training seesion complete with about 10 jogging minutes. My legs ached and my feet were numb by the end. Perhaps I overdid it a bit.

Any suggestions from runners out there on how to become a decent runner?

Any thoughts about running in general?
Well.......

Dan

• Tetris Master
  • City Elder
Re: Runner's World
« Reply #1 on: May 28, 2008, 10:29:01 AM »

Your knee problems are one thing, but beyond that... it's entirely a mental exercise. If you know you can do it... you'll go out and do it. If you're worried or think you can't then you'll have problems. Although the first few times out always suck just b/c you need to get your muscles into shape, I find that after about 4 runs or two weeks or whatnot then I'm just back to the same old routine. So get over that first system shock, and then realize it's all a mental thing.

I'd say do a distance 2 to 4 times and then bump it up a bit. For me, this would mean:
3 miles for 1.5 weeks
3.5 or 4 miles for the next 1.5 weeks.
5 miles for another 2 weeks
6 miles, etc.

If I'm training for something really long, it's a simple routine of 3-5 miles twice a week during the week and then a long run on the weekend. That long run starts at 6 miles one week, 7 miles the next, 8 miles the next, etc. At 10 miles I'll do that one weekend, then then next weekend cut it in half, and then the following weekend increase by 2 (so, 12 miles) and repeat that pattern.

I know some of that has nothing to do with your situation, but maybe you can take the general concepts and theories and apply them to your own schedule?

Marlowe

• foppish twit
  • City Elder
« Reply #2 on: May 28, 2008, 11:06:58 AM »

listen to dan... he knoweth whereof he speaketh.

anyone can run, and so can you. i am not at all a runner, and in fact i hate running. but, i've run 3 marathons. (first time to see if i could do it, and the next 2 times to see if i could meet or beat my dad's best time. unfortunately, i'm still 5 minutes off his best time).

you will have a lot of pains and pressures and feel like your life is about to end, but 98% of the time it's just temporary aches & pains or mental. good for you for starting this up!

having said that... i'm not sure if you belong to a pool, but i'd strongly recommend regular swimming to anyone who has a yen to get in better shape. it's a lot easier on the joints and you work your entire body.
« Last Edit: May 28, 2008, 11:16:15 AM by Marlowe »

va-vacious

• City Elder
    • http://va-vacious.livejournal.com
« Reply #3 on: May 28, 2008, 06:05:27 PM »

I ran a 5K a couple of years ago (and haven't run since, but that's a different story!) I got a training routine online that slowly works you up to running the distance. Sparkpeople has lots of running recs, and lots of people do the couch to 5k method. 
here's one link for it.

I had a friend I trained with, and that made a huge difference: she was responsible for the timer and making sure we were doing what we were supposed to.

I'm another non-runner, with bad knees and a tendency towards shin splints, but I found I really did enjoy it. The best thing for me was that I ran the entire distance of the race- I came in dead last in my age bracket, but I did it, and that was awesome.

Also, make sure you have good, comfortable running shoes. It's amazing how much of a difference that will make in the experience.

Bronzetree

• Punching Bag
  • City Elder
« Reply #4 on: May 28, 2008, 09:43:56 PM »

Good luck on the road to racing, c-fan!

I haven't run with any frequency since high school (I was a distance runner), because of the same reasons va mentioned: bad knees, a tendency toward shin splints, as well as back pain that hits me like a diesel train when I run. Not to mention, my heart feels like it's literally going to explode whenever my heart rate gets above 130.

I think, however, I might try to run the annual Thanksgiving Day race they hold in downtown Cincy this year. My father-in-law came back from open heart surgery and has run the race two years in a row, and is kinda making me look bad. Once the ribs heal up, I'm gonna maybe start training for it, so's I can give it a go this time around.

rva

« Reply #5 on: May 29, 2008, 01:06:07 AM »

Yeah, at our age running is actually bad for you compared with a good diet and a nice regimen of low-impact exercise like walking.  I would go so far as to say it's kind of a stupid thing to do.  If you are on an regular low-impact exercise regimen, as it sounds like you are, that is much better for you then running.  You should view running a 5k as a health RISK rather than a health benefit.

Having said that, it's also really not a big deal.  I do all sorts of activities that involve minor health risks and I don't care because they are fun enough that it's worth it.  I could twist a knee playing disc golf or bowling.  I don't think either activity does a whole lot for my cardiovascular system of long term health over walking.  I'm just saying, only do it if you really enjoy the challenge. 

And I would run as little as possible.  If your only goal is to run a 5k, I wouldn't start training until I knew when the race is occurring and then do something like va_vacious's schedule and not start it until the latest point possible.  It minimizes the  total amount of high-impact training.  If you want to get started earlier than that, I'd spend the time concentrating on leg exercises and flexibility and junk to protect the knee.

The hard part about training for a race even as far as marathon distance is not so much pushing your body to the limit, but just staying with the routine.  It's not so much like "It's too hard to run five miles." But more like "I have to run five miles fucking again?!?  I just did that yesterday!"  When you add in the warm-up and stretching and shit it's like 1 1/2 hours every stupid day.

For 5k, it's not such a big deal.  If you can run 1/2 an hour, you can run 5k.  And you really don't have to run a complete 5k distance until the very day of the race.  If you already have an organized exercise routine of some kind, training shouldn't be a problem.

clemsonfan

• RN
  • City Elder
« Reply #6 on: May 29, 2008, 12:08:19 PM »

Here's a conversation I had with someone who annoys me earlier:

Me: I'm training for a 5K run.
Annoying person: You think you can do that?
Me: I know I can.

Well.......

cuddlyevil

• sleepy, so sleepy
  • City Elder
"Because I'm cuddly b*tch. Deal with it." ~ Marshall Erikson

rva

« Reply #8 on: May 29, 2008, 04:48:43 PM »

Well, if you guys want to do something together, there is an 8k, half-marathon, and marathon in Richmond on November 15th.  Just about perfect timing to start preliminary training for any of the events should you plan to run them.  Or you can just walk the 8k. 

Or just hang out at my house and drink beer and laugh at any randomvillian foolish enough to attempt the marathon.  I'm right at the 17 mile mark.

I will probably be doing the half if anyone wants to run it with me.  And I just ran for the first time in over a year last weekend.

Cockney Rebel

• I don't have an accent. You do.
  • Global Moderator
  • City Elder
  • Art is impossible to define. Shitty art is not.
« Reply #9 on: May 29, 2008, 05:45:58 PM »

Here's a conversation I had with someone who annoys me earlier:

Me: I'm training for a 5K run.
Annoying person: You think you can do that?
Me: I know I can.

Butter's such a douchebag
 ;D
Opulence. I has it.

va-vacious

• City Elder
    • http://va-vacious.livejournal.com
« Reply #10 on: May 29, 2008, 10:55:19 PM »

Well, if you guys want to do something together, there is an 8k, half-marathon, and marathon in Richmond on November 15th.  Just about perfect timing to start preliminary training for any of the events should you plan to run them.  Or you can just walk the 8k. 

Or just hang out at my house and drink beer and laugh at any randomvillian foolish enough to attempt the marathon.  I'm right at the 17 mile mark.

I will probably be doing the half if anyone wants to run it with me.  And I just ran for the first time in over a year last weekend.

Option B (the beer drinking one) sounds like the best choice!  ;)  I was up there last year visiting friends the weekend of the race. I didn't see any of it, but we were all over the route, and the coffee shop we went to was on the route. It sounded fun.

Juliana

• City Elder
« Reply #11 on: May 30, 2008, 12:04:01 AM »

My dad used to drag us to runs when we were in Jr high and high school.  3 mile and I don't know what else.  We'd walk.  One year at the one in Dayton we skipped half by cutting across 2 blocks. 

Good times.

Later he'd take us to runs where we could ride our bikes.  Those were awesome....well, better.
« Last Edit: May 30, 2008, 02:32:16 PM by Juliana »
We all agree that genocide, avalanches, and Family Circus are not funny
-Ed Helms

MissKitty

• Hooray Beer!
  • City Elder
« Reply #12 on: May 30, 2008, 09:01:19 AM »

I've thought about doing a 5k as well. I know I can do it, I'm just not sure my knees will thank me at the end. I usually go out and run a few miles on the weekends and my knees hate me later. I think part of my problem is the wrong kind of shoes, but I am loathe to shell out silly money for running shoes.

Cfan, keep us posted on which 5k you decide to run in - I may join you if you don't mind.
Duct tape can't fix stupid.

Dan

• Tetris Master
  • City Elder
« Reply #13 on: May 30, 2008, 09:33:41 AM »

Careful what you offer: I might just show up!
I put my name in the lottery for the NYC marathon. I think I have about a 10% chance of getting in, so I figure I'll just train anyway and then try one of the gazillion other east coast marathons around that time, too. Maybe I could do Richmond.

Not sure if I'm talking about a half or a full yet... still waiting on my ribs to heal.

clemsonfan

• RN
  • City Elder
« Reply #14 on: May 30, 2008, 11:07:26 AM »

I've thought about doing a 5k as well. I know I can do it, I'm just not sure my knees will thank me at the end. I usually go out and run a few miles on the weekends and my knees hate me later. I think part of my problem is the wrong kind of shoes, but I am loathe to shell out silly money for running shoes.

Cfan, keep us posted on which 5k you decide to run in - I may join you if you don't mind.

That would be great!
Well.......
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up