Randomville

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
GigaBook.com
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down

Author Topic: Runner's World  (Read 6360 times)

Juliana

• City Elder
Re: Runner's World
« Reply #15 on: May 30, 2008, 02:34:28 PM »

Careful what you offer: I might just show up!
I put my name in the lottery for the NYC marathon. I think I have about a 10% chance of getting in, so I figure I'll just train anyway and then try one of the gazillion other east coast marathons around that time, too. Maybe I could do Richmond.

Not sure if I'm talking about a half or a full yet... still waiting on my ribs to heal.

Wait.  They actually turn people away who want to run it? ...how many people WANT to do this every year vs how many actually get to?
We all agree that genocide, avalanches, and Family Circus are not funny
-Ed Helms

rva

« Reply #16 on: May 30, 2008, 03:30:22 PM »

Most of the big marathons are like that.  I think the Marine Corp Marathon in DC has 1,000 slots and 25,000 apply.  NYC is probably more like 10,000 slots and 250,000 applicants.   

You have to run a marathon just to get into the Boston Marathon.  And you have to run 26 miles at a pace faster than I can run 1 mile.

rva

« Reply #17 on: June 01, 2008, 02:19:42 PM »

So far the whole training thing is not going so well.  Partly because I'm in much worse shape than I thought, partly because I'm taking it slow, and partly because even taking it slow I still managed to pick up some mild shin splints which set me back a few days.

I was hoping I'd be at the point now where I could reel off a 3 mile run without feeling it much, but I only managed 2.5 today it was enough of a struggle that I probably can't try for a "long" run again until Wednesday.

Dan

• Tetris Master
  • City Elder
« Reply #18 on: June 01, 2008, 03:03:17 PM »

Yeah, the NYC Marathon is capped between 35,000 and 40,000 people. It's way overbooked, too, according to everyone who runs it. I don't know how many applicants they get, though. Many many more than that, for sure. If my 10% is accurate (and I have no idea if it is) then RVA's estimate is about right.

There are other ways of getting in to it, though, other than just signing up. If you do it for charity they let you in. If you run a certain time they let you in. If you participate in 9 other NY Road Runner races in the previous year they let you in. If you have been shut out of the lottery for a number of consecutive years they let you in. And so on... I don't qualify for any, tho. The year I ran Marine Corps in DC ('04) they had about 16,000 runners, and I suspected at the time the cap was 20,000 or so. The smaller ones - Richmond, Hartford, Cleveland, etc. - rarely fill up so people use them as 'backups' I guess.

And RVA's right - you have to qualify for the Boston Marathon. I guess it's the most prestigious race or something. It's certainly been around the longest. Depending on age and gender the qualifying time changes, but I know I'd have to run a 3:05 or so to do it, and I can't run more than one mile at that pace, so it's not something on my 'to do list'.

clemsonfan

• RN
  • City Elder
« Reply #19 on: June 02, 2008, 06:25:11 AM »

Ok, I've picked my 5K. The "Holiday at Home 5K" in Kettering, OH. It's on Labor Day morning.
Well.......

Kenneth Toilethole

• City Elder
  • Definitely not Liz
« Reply #20 on: June 02, 2008, 07:45:04 AM »

Ok, I've picked my 5K. The "Holiday at Home 5K" in Kettering, OH. It's on Labor Day morning.
See ya there. I'll be running in that one as well.

MissKitty

• Hooray Beer!
  • City Elder
« Reply #21 on: June 04, 2008, 09:08:54 AM »

See ya there. I'll be running in that one as well.

Not me. I'll be recovering from Riverfest.
Duct tape can't fix stupid.

clemsonfan

• RN
  • City Elder
« Reply #22 on: June 07, 2008, 01:45:38 PM »

I got some new running shoes today.

Asics Gel Kanbarra

They feel like a dream when I run in them. It was raining when I got home from buying them but I couldn't wait, so I ran in the rain to try them out.
Well.......

Dan

• Tetris Master
  • City Elder
« Reply #23 on: June 07, 2008, 02:51:56 PM »

Wait.  They actually turn people away who want to run it? ...how many people WANT to do this every year vs how many actually get to?

Update: I actually got shut out of both the Nike NYC Half Marathon - that runs in Central Park and then down through Times Square and down the West Side Highway to Battery park - AND the NYC Marathon. In a matter of days.

BUMMER.

I call conspiracy!

slow-dog

• City Elder
    • http://www.slow-dog.com/
« Reply #24 on: June 14, 2008, 02:30:06 PM »

Just saw this thread.  I liked Wendell's complaints about running and how no one should do it and then the casual revelation that he's going to run a half marathon.  O0

C-fan: sounds like you're on the right track--staying motivated and figuring out how to go running even when you don't want to is key.  Going for a short run is better than going for no run, so even if you don't want to do your normal run, get yourself out the door--maybe you'll feel better after the first mile.  I've gotten to the point that I feel bad if it's a day I'm supposed to run and I don't do it and if I manage to sneak in an extra run in a week I feel pretty good about myself. 

Picking your race and working towards it is a great start.  I've got 4 races coming up this year* and have done 2 so far--when I don't have specific races I'm targeting I tend to not keep up with my training.

Keep a log--mine is an excel spreadsheet, but you can do it in a notebook, or there are online options.  I've been keeping mine since 2005, and it feels good to see how much you've accomplished and how the miles add up.  It'll give you new ideas for goals--how many days in a month can you run? How many miles in a month?  Or a year?

Keep us posted on the progress

*One of the races I'm I'm running is the Wine Country Half Marathon which promises wine and gourmet food at the aid stations.  I'm psyched about that, but it may not do a lot to help my finish time. 

clemsonfan

• RN
  • City Elder
« Reply #25 on: June 16, 2008, 07:15:04 AM »

I got up this morning and ran one mile. I think in a couple of hours I'm going to head over to the Y and do a little cross training on the exercise bike.
Well.......

foolsgold

• City Elder
  • To the East...Blackward
    • Teabaggin'
« Reply #26 on: June 16, 2008, 09:56:57 AM »

While you're at the Y, it might not be a bad idea to find a machine that will build up your quad muscles (if you aren't already.)  When I first started running, I was having all sorts of knee problems which landed me in PT for a bit.  The person working with me suggested that I start building up my quads by doing leg lifts with 3-5lb ankle weights.  Since doing that, I've been doing a lot better and only screw my knee up when I do stupid shit like train for a marathon that is 4 weeks away and I'm only topping out at 5 or 6 miles a run. 

And, if you're in a goal setting mood, you should come down and do the Thanksgiving Run.  It's a 10K, but the crowds are a lot of fun and has an almost festival-like energy to it. 
Why there's all these ugly mans on my TV screen?  I wrap my head with foil so I don't catch them beams.

clemsonfan

• RN
  • City Elder
« Reply #27 on: June 16, 2008, 11:31:45 AM »

Oooo! Maybe I will do the Thanksgiving run. It depends on if we will be in town or not.
Well.......

redbobsled

• Procrastinator Extraordinaire!
  • City Elder
« Reply #28 on: June 17, 2008, 01:27:27 PM »

*One of the races I'm I'm running is the Wine Country Half Marathon which promises wine and gourmet food at the aid stations.  I'm psyched about that, but it may not do a lot to help my finish time. 

The 10K AIDS walk/run I did in San Francisco a few years ago was like that.  Every station had a new treat.  It made it more bearable - particularly because I was in NO shape at the time to do a 10K, but did it anyway.

cuddlyevil

• sleepy, so sleepy
  • City Elder
« Reply #29 on: June 17, 2008, 04:56:12 PM »

You could always do the flying pig 5k next year. Then we can all come out and cheer you on!
"Because I'm cuddly b*tch. Deal with it." ~ Marshall Erikson
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up