Randomville

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
GigaBook.com
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Down

Author Topic: Runner's World  (Read 6361 times)

clemsonfan

• RN
  • City Elder
Re: Runner's World
« Reply #30 on: July 31, 2008, 05:00:08 PM »

I'm starting to get nervous. I have about a month away before my first 5k. I am going to really have to bump up my training now.
Well.......

clemsonfan

• RN
  • City Elder
« Reply #31 on: August 08, 2008, 02:00:19 PM »

Ok, so it looks like I'm not going to be running the 5k. The last few times I've tried to run I've only been able to do it for about a half mile before my knee starts hurting. So, I've had to do interval training (Walk/run) and biking for my workouts. I'm still working out for about 1 1/2 hrs. each day, but my body is majorly rebelling against running.
Well.......

foolsgold

• City Elder
  • To the East...Blackward
    • Teabaggin'
« Reply #32 on: August 08, 2008, 02:12:12 PM »

That sucks, CF, but is a really wise decision, nothing is worth injuring yourself.  It sounds like you're on the right track with your workouts/walking/biking. 

Why there's all these ugly mans on my TV screen?  I wrap my head with foil so I don't catch them beams.

Kenneth Toilethole

• City Elder
  • Definitely not Liz
« Reply #33 on: August 08, 2008, 02:15:56 PM »

Ok, so it looks like I'm not going to be running the 5k. The last few times I've tried to run I've only been able to do it for about a half mile before my knee starts hurting. So, I've had to do interval training (Walk/run) and biking for my workouts. I'm still working out for about 1 1/2 hrs. each day, but my body is majorly rebelling against running.

bummer. I was looking forward to running that with ya.

foolsgold

• City Elder
    • Teabaggin'
« Reply #34 on: August 13, 2008, 09:33:31 AM »

Has anyone had hip problems possibly brought on by running?  My left hip/side have been really, really sore lately.  I can still run and actually feel pretty good doing it, but have stopped to rest it for a while.  Any advice on some stretches or muscle work to help build/repair that?
Why there's all these ugly mans on my TV screen?  I wrap my head with foil so I don't catch them beams.

Juliana

• City Elder
« Reply #35 on: August 13, 2008, 10:23:04 AM »

Cfan-

Why don't you still enter and run what you can, and then walk the rest?  There's no shame in that.
We all agree that genocide, avalanches, and Family Circus are not funny
-Ed Helms

Dan

• Tetris Master
  • City Elder
« Reply #36 on: August 13, 2008, 11:39:43 AM »

Has anyone had hip problems possibly brought on by running?  My left hip/side have been really, really sore lately.  I can still run and actually feel pretty good doing it, but have stopped to rest it for a while.  Any advice on some stretches or muscle work to help build/repair that?
Yes, I've had problems, but no there's no advice. Hips and Knees = the doctor for me. Sorry dude, but those are tough ones to deal with.

My best lame advice is to try to find a rhythm where you are resting more than usual but still running, and running lightly. In otherwords, switch from a run every two days to a run every three days or something? I dunno. Hips suck.

Juliana

• City Elder
« Reply #37 on: August 13, 2008, 12:45:24 PM »

Hips suck.
But do they lie?

oh God, I just made a Shakera joke...
We all agree that genocide, avalanches, and Family Circus are not funny
-Ed Helms

trixi

• Sun Bum
  • Global Moderator
  • City Elder
  • My heart belongs to Ryne Sandberg
« Reply #38 on: August 13, 2008, 06:30:11 PM »

FG,

1)  What surface are you running on?
2)  Where in the hips does it hurt?
"Beware the lustful fires that burn in a librarian's heart. They can rage beyond all control."

clemsonfan

• RN
  • City Elder
« Reply #39 on: August 13, 2008, 07:44:43 PM »

Cfan-

Why don't you still enter and run what you can, and then walk the rest?  There's no shame in that.

I might do that. It would be awfully sad to finish last though.
Well.......

Dan

• Tetris Master
  • City Elder
« Reply #40 on: August 14, 2008, 08:47:33 AM »

There will be people that walk the whole thing. You won't finish last.

foolsgold

• City Elder
    • Teabaggin'
« Reply #41 on: August 14, 2008, 09:31:48 AM »

I guess you could try looking at the 5K as a run not a race.  And (assuming this is your 1st 5K), you'll have posted your best time ever.  Plus, those runs are usually a lot of fun and, outside of the elite runners, everyone is out there just for a laugh.  You should get a swell swag bag, maybe some tasty eats and will probably find a "run" buddy to chat with and make "are we there yet" jokes.  Michelle is not a fast runner and usually finishes near the bottom of her age category, but is all smiles at the end for having just accomplished something like that. 

Either way, you've made a lot of effort and are a better runner than you were last year this time, right?

Trixi: I run mostly on concrete as it is what is convenient for me.  Occasionally, like once a month, I'll do a trail run.  I've been road running for 3 years or so and have never had even the slightest hip pain, so this is confusing to me.  The pain is located at the top of my left hipbone, which is weird because it isn't where the joint is. 
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Up