Randomville

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
GigaBook.com
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6   Go Down

Author Topic: twitter  (Read 17435 times)

Bronzetree

• Punching Bag
  • City Elder
Re: twitter
« Reply #30 on: March 09, 2009, 12:39:37 PM »

See, I've been a skeptic of the whole twitter/tweeting thing since I first saw it over a year ago. I guess maybe you have to be following the right feeds in order to get something of substance? I don't know. I've read a few and all I ever get are things like, "7:38 eating a bowl of cereal. 7:52 getting ready to take a shower." Etc., ad infinitum.

As far as time sucking, even with short sentences and limited characters, I still see some people posting all day every day. Here are some times from Dr. Drew's:

11:11AM
11:22AM
11:23AM
12:01PM
12:02PM
12:04PM
12:06PM
12:08PM
12:10PM
4:22PM
4:33PM
4:40PM
4:41PM
5:28PM
5:36PM
5:56PM
6:04PM
6:38PM
About 22 hours ago
About 11 hours ago
About 11 hours ago
About 11 hours ago
About 11 hours ago
About 10 hours ago
About 10 hours ago
About 10 hours ago
About 10 hours ago
About 10 hours ago
About 10 hours ago
About 9 hours ago

That was yesterday. Which is nothing compared to some I've seen. And that's just the ones he posted. I can't imagine if you're following several feeds how much time it would take to read them all as well as post.

Clearly, though, as evidenced by vizzah and whigs's comments, there is some value to it. I guess I'm just a fuddy duddy and don't "get it" yet. I'm the same guy who still doesn't get the whole texting thing, and the only reason I engage in it is because some people won't answer their phones to be part of a three minute phone call, but they'll text back and forth with me over the span of 15-20 minutes.

Maybe I'll sign up for a twitter account to see what the big fuss is.
« Last Edit: March 09, 2009, 12:41:28 PM by Wherle »

whigsgeek

• protector of small children and bunny rabbits
  • City Elder
  • Yes, it is I ...
« Reply #31 on: March 09, 2009, 12:42:55 PM »

And I need yous, too, whigs.

You can find me at VitaLuna. The account is locked, so just request access and I'll hook you up. :)

I tend to use either twhirl or just the regular twitter Web site. Looking for you now!

Can't find you, kc! Have looked under kcneon and under your real name. There are a dozen people under same real name, so I'm not sure which one is really you. Halp!
I gather speed from you fucking with me.

whigsgeek

• City Elder
  • Yes, it is I ...
« Reply #32 on: March 09, 2009, 12:49:40 PM »

As far as time sucking, even with short sentences and limited characters, I still see some people posting all day every day. Here are some times from Dr. Drew's:

11:11AM
11:22AM
11:23AM
12:01PM
12:02PM
12:04PM
12:06PM
12:08PM
12:10PM
4:22PM
4:33PM
4:40PM
4:41PM
5:28PM
5:36PM
5:56PM
6:04PM
6:38PM
About 22 hours ago
About 11 hours ago
About 11 hours ago
About 11 hours ago
About 11 hours ago
About 10 hours ago
About 10 hours ago
About 10 hours ago
About 10 hours ago
About 10 hours ago
About 10 hours ago
About 9 hours ago

That was yesterday.

In the last 22 hours there have only been 11 tweets from Dr. Drew, and most of them were in response to last night's Loveline. It took me all of 30 seconds to read them.

kcneon

• City Elder
    • Resurrection Neon
« Reply #33 on: March 09, 2009, 12:55:11 PM »

whigs - I just sent you a PM.  Should have found me using 'kcneon' but since I added you, you should just be able to click on 'follow'.

Wow, Robin has over 2000 folks following him!

whigsgeek

• City Elder
  • Yes, it is I ...
« Reply #34 on: March 09, 2009, 01:00:20 PM »

Which is nothing compared to some I've seen. And that's just the ones he posted. I can't imagine if you're following several feeds how much time it would take to read them all as well as post.

I have no idea what benefit people are getting out of following 3,000 people, but I don't follow 3,000 people. I only follow people/feeds that interest me. Like all of the other social-networking tools, you get out of Twitter what you put into it. I'm not getting squat out of LinkedIn, but I also haven't done anything other than set up my account. It's not fair for me to write it off as invaluable if I haven't put any time into playing around with it.

I'm the same guy who still doesn't get the whole texting thing, and the only reason I engage in it is because some people won't answer their phones to be part of a three minute phone call, but they'll text back and forth with me over the span of 15-20 minutes.

Guilty!  :angel:  Folks are more likely to "get a hold of me" using text, Twitter, and/or Facebook than by phone (and even e-mail).

Juliana

• City Elder
« Reply #35 on: March 09, 2009, 01:01:30 PM »

My grandma was trying to sign up for Facebook yesterday and initially ran into some trouble.  She called us to see if we had any suggestions, and said if she couldn't get on there, she didn't care *too* much because she knew Twitter was the hot new thing and she would just sign up there instead.

Thankfully we got her hooked up on FB.  I would have been mad if I would have had to join twitter just to see what grandma was tweeting about.
We all agree that genocide, avalanches, and Family Circus are not funny
-Ed Helms

frizgolf

• City Elder
« Reply #36 on: March 09, 2009, 01:04:20 PM »

I'm the same guy who still doesn't get the whole texting thing, and the only reason I engage in it is because some people won't answer their phones to be part of a three minute phone call, but they'll text back and forth with me over the span of 15-20 minutes.
Amen.
I engaged in a two week text-fest with a girl last winter, costing me untold minutes time, when the exact same information, or more even, could have been exchanged via e-mail in a more timely, not to mention free, manner.
Feh.
What we learn after we know it all is what counts.

rva

« Reply #37 on: March 09, 2009, 01:14:47 PM »

I feel like technology is supposed to insulate me from assholes, not help them find me.

Bronzetree

• Punching Bag
  • City Elder
« Reply #38 on: March 09, 2009, 01:20:05 PM »

In the last 22 hours there have only been 11 tweets from Dr. Drew, and most of them were in response to last night's Loveline. It took me all of 30 seconds to read them.

So wait, what the hell were all those posts on his page then? All of those weren't from him? That's even MORE confusing...

whigsgeek

• City Elder
  • Yes, it is I ...
« Reply #39 on: March 09, 2009, 01:52:15 PM »

I feel like technology is supposed to insulate me from assholes, not help them find me.

Then lock your account so that the only people who communicate with you are people you want to talk to. I'm not understanding the complication here, sorry. You can have a public account on Twitter so that anyone can follow you, or you can lock it so that you can control who follows you. You can let everyone in the world see your Facebook account, or you can protect it -- or protect specific parts of it -- or give access to certain parts of it to some people and not others.

If you don't want to use these sites because you prefer to communicate in other ways -- or you prefer not to communicate at all -- that's absolutely cool and totally your call. But don't get an attitude and make them out to be something they're not.

whigsgeek

• City Elder
  • Yes, it is I ...
« Reply #40 on: March 09, 2009, 01:53:46 PM »

Amen.
I engaged in a two week text-fest with a girl last winter, costing me untold minutes time, when the exact same information, or more even, could have been exchanged via e-mail in a more timely, not to mention free, manner.
Feh.

Come on. Is that the fault of texting, or is it on you for letting the texting go that long?

frizgolf

• City Elder
« Reply #41 on: March 09, 2009, 02:15:31 PM »

Come on. Is that the fault of texting, or is it on you for letting the texting go that long?
Yeah, I'll take the heat on that one. Only reason I texted so much is 'cuz she paid no attention to e-mail.
Expensive lesson learned.
But I kinda got the vibe that it should be used solely because it was cooler or something, like she couldn't be bothered with that old technology.
What we learn after we know it all is what counts.

rva

« Reply #42 on: March 09, 2009, 02:29:03 PM »

I don't care if other people want to twitter.  I have nothing against it.  I'm just saying I don't.  

If Trent Reznor's putting up interesting stuff on his twitter account, I can see why people would want to read it.  I will probably at some point set up a fake twitter or fake Facebook account, just like I have a fake Myspace account just so I can do that.

All I'm saying is I don't understand the attraction for regular people.  People are always telling me they got on Facebook and now some unwanted HS classmate or age-old enemy is hassling them or whatever.  I'm like, that's why I'm not on Facebook.  That is kind of what it's for.  It makes you more accessible.  Take the good with the bad.

Personally, there's one guy I went to HS with that I keep in touch with, and he knows how to find me.  The rest I don't care about.  I don't want you to know what I'm doing, or to be able to find me.  

whigsgeek

• City Elder
  • Yes, it is I ...
« Reply #43 on: March 09, 2009, 03:13:05 PM »

Quote from: MediaCupcake
And Another Thing…

I’ll tell you right now that this is another post about twitter. I am fully aware that twitter has been blogged/discussed/etc to death, but for some reason there’s always more to say.

I just finished reading a great blog post that follows along really nicely with some things I spoke about at the SUNY SOLSummit yesterday so I wanted to be sure to comment on it. The post is here, from one of my new favorite blogs, brandflakesforbreakfast. Here’s a little snippety-snip from the post:

John Doe - “I hate Twitter”
Jamie - “Why?”
John Doe - “I don’t want to know what somebody ate for breakfast!”
Jamie - “If you used Twitter, you would know it’s nothing like that”
John Doe - “I have used Twitter, and it’s exactly like that”
Jamie - “Maybe that’s because you’re not using Twitter in the best way?”

At this point I usually scuttle away to John Doe’s now defunct Twitter account to find his last Tweet that reads “Had sausage and eggs for breakfast. Eggs didn’t smell too good”.

Twitter is a tool, just like a hammer is a tool. If you are using a hammer to curl your hair, it will never work for you. Just like I mentioned at SUNY - twitter can work differently for different people, but you have to take some time to figure out what exactly it is that you want from it.

whigsgeek

• City Elder
  • Yes, it is I ...
« Reply #44 on: March 09, 2009, 03:16:52 PM »

And RT (re-tweeting) from twitter...

RT from @apostate: Good article (with video) of NPR news analyst and Twitter skeptic Daniel Schorr learning to tweet.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6   Go Up