Randomville

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
GigaBook.com
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 ... 63 64 [65] 66 67   Go Down

Author Topic: Random film thoughts  (Read 84951 times)

c-lando

• Bacon Research & Sparkle Development/Cr0ndog Millionaire
  • City Elder
Re: Random film thoughts
« Reply #960 on: January 23, 2019, 09:06:52 AM »

Total snub for PADDINGTON 2. Not one nomination. BOOOOOOOOOOOOOOLLOCKS!

HARD STARE!

I hope everyone in the voting committee gets marmalade on their favorite sweater.
Once the bacon's done, all pants are off.  
PANTS PANTS REVOLUTION!!!

Cockney Rebel

• I don't have an accent. You do.
  • Global Moderator
  • City Elder
  • Art is impossible to define. Shitty art is not.
« Reply #961 on: January 24, 2019, 08:59:36 PM »

"Bohemian Rhapsody" nominated for best film.

What a crock of shit.

Rami Malek, sure, but the entire movie, are you fucking kidding me?
Opulence. I has it.

euro60

• City Elder
« Reply #962 on: January 27, 2019, 05:29:02 PM »

"Bohemian Rhapsody" nominated for best film.

What a crock of shit.

Rami Malek, sure, but the entire movie, are you fucking kidding me?
Someone stop the presses: CR and I actually agreeing on something movie-related!

I myself super-excited that Romad got 10 Oscar nominations (remember it was my No. 1 movie of the year), although I'd be surprised it actually will win more that maybe 1 or 2.

Green Book getting 5 Oscar nominations is a JOKE. The movie is a cliche-riddled, done-bye-the-numbers "The Odd Couple" meets "Driving Miss Daisy".
"A blind faith in authority is the worst enemy of truth" - Albert Einstein (1901)

The Cincinnati Symphony Orchestra is one of Cincinnati's underappreciated treasures

euro60

• City Elder
« Reply #963 on: February 16, 2019, 11:32:35 PM »

The latest troubles at MoviePass:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/arts-entertainment/2018/11/08/moviepasss-latest-excuse-being-problematic-is-that-its-literally-run-by-dogs/?utm_term=.bfc5d38cff48

I can only tell you that my experience is very different. The theaters I attend the most by far (Esquire, Mariemont, Kenwood) have zero restrictions on their movies being 'eligible' for MoviePass. Furthermore, even though I am supposed to get only 3 movies a month under the monthly subscriber fee of $9.99, in fact I am not getting charged for any movies that I watch at these 3 theaters above and beyond the 3 movies/mth. Zero. Nada. I don't know whether it is a flaw within the MoviePass system, or whether these theaters have worked out a special deal with MoviePass. Not that I care one way or another. So the bottom line is that I can see as many movies as I want at these 3 theaters for $9.99/mth.

The MoviePass gravy train has finally stopped for me.

Some weeks ago, the Esquire/Mariemont/Kenwood stopped their limitless watching and now they are back in the fold like all the other theaters <sigh> Meaning, few movies are being offered, and very limited screenings. Since my last monthly $9.99 MoviePass renewal on Jan. 25, I've watched exactly 2 movies that qualified. So unless something opens up in the next week that qualifies, I may not even make it to 3 movies under the $9.99 monthly allowance for this month. I'll give it another month or two... see what develops, but I'm skeptical...
"A blind faith in authority is the worst enemy of truth" - Albert Einstein (1901)

The Cincinnati Symphony Orchestra is one of Cincinnati's underappreciated treasures

Dan

• Tetris Master
  • City Elder
« Reply #964 on: February 25, 2019, 03:40:34 PM »

Say what you want about 2019's Oscar winners and losers etc. I want to just say how happy I was for the team behind Free Solo. I've never seen anything like that and I felt it was well deserved. I wished their speech was a little more composed perhaps but hey what an amazing night for them.

EVERYTHING ABOUT THAT FILM IS CRAZY!!!!!

euro60

• City Elder
« Reply #965 on: February 25, 2019, 05:38:41 PM »

Say what you want about 2019's Oscar winners and losers etc. I want to just say how happy I was for the team behind Free Solo. I've never seen anything like that and I felt it was well deserved. I wished their speech was a little more composed perhaps but hey what an amazing night for them.
The minute I saw Free Solo last October, I had zero doubt it would win the Oscar for Best Documentary. By the way, now 4+ months later, it is STILL playing at the Esquire.

I didn't watch the Oscars last night, but by happenstance caught a 15 min. "Making of Free Solo" documentary on ESPN yesterday. Even though I had seen the movie and obviously knew the outcome, it was still almost impossible for me to watch the actual climbing scenes.

As to Green Book winning the Best Picture Oscar, it is PC at its Hollywood worst. It isn't even close to being the "best" movie of the year. The movie is dreadfully average, contrived and strictly by the numbers. Not to mention all of the controversies that have been swirling around the movie makers for months. But hey, Hollywood is diversifying, and can pat itself on the back for being so open-minded and cool with it. What a joke.

I happened to see this article in The Ringer, which I think captures it all quite well:

https://www.theringer.com/movies/2019/2/25/18239415/academy-awards-91-best-picture-green-book

euro60

• City Elder
« Reply #966 on: November 13, 2019, 02:26:27 PM »

The running time of several current movies:

Motherless Brooklyn: 2 hrs. 24 min.
Parasite: 2 hrs. 12 min.
Ford v. Ferrari: 2 hrs. 32 min.
Midway: 2 hrs. 18 min.
Doctor Sleep: 2 hrs. 32 min.
The Irishman: 3 hrs. 29 min.

Anyone sense a theme here?

The ideal length of a movie is 100-105 min., just like the ideal length of an album is 40-45 min. Of course there can be exceptions.

Dan

• Tetris Master
  • City Elder
« Reply #967 on: November 13, 2019, 04:18:40 PM »

The ideal length of a movie is 100-105 min., just like the ideal length of an album is 40-45 min. Of course there can be exceptions.

Huh? When did we decide that? I seem to have missed that study.

The ideal length of an album is a hell of a lot longer than 45 minutes. That's like a half an album.

The ideal length of movie in my world is 120 minutes.

euro60

• City Elder
« Reply #968 on: November 13, 2019, 06:05:10 PM »

Huh? When did we decide that? I seem to have missed that study.

That's what happens when you were playing hooky, Dan!  :D

Kwyjibo

• Bringing Grumpy Back
  • City Elder
« Reply #969 on: November 14, 2019, 12:19:49 PM »

The ideal length of an album is a hell of a lot longer than 45 minutes. That's like a half an album.

Not so, my friend.  If you tried to put 45 minutes on one side of an LP it'd be virtually unplayable.  20ish minutes per side is fairly standard.  Or at least it was.  CDs allow for longer, of course.  Which is why you have this ridiculous trend of splitting albums to two LPs.
Baby, check this out, I've got something to say.  Man, it's so loud in here.

Dan

• Tetris Master
  • City Elder
« Reply #970 on: November 14, 2019, 03:14:10 PM »

What's an LP?

:-p

My recollection of the 90 minute cassette tapes was...oh, 90 minutes!
One CD was like 70 or 80 minutes, wasn't it?

And the thought of a 90 minute movie is quaint. How many movies have you seen in the last 10 years that were 90 minutes? A handful of comedies or low budgets, but that's it. The sub two-hour movie is real, but it is always 1 hour and 50 something minutes, you know?

Zafer Kaya

• City Elder
« Reply #971 on: November 14, 2019, 06:30:54 PM »

It depended on the genre.  Punk albums ran like 35 minutes which was a actually kind of nice because then you would get like a free bonus mini mix tape or an extra ep tacked on at the end if the person dubbing it for you was any kind of decent human being.  ALWAYS FILL UP THE TAPE.

Metal albums were annoying because they often had one or two long epics that pushed them to 50m, and then you had to give up a song somewhere.

But most albums clocked in right around 45m.  I'd guess like somewhere around 70%.  Enough to be a bit of a PITA, not enough for people to invest in 120m tapes.  The average was maybe 42-ish, 43, right around there.  But under 40 minutes was not unusual. They got longer the more tapes replaced vinyl.  Back in the vinyl days I guess 40 m was the average.

This was true even up until like at least 93 or 94 because even though by that point most people were using CDs, tapes were still being released, and some vinyl as well.  The CD would be 50-60 minutes long, but the actual album would still be 45-ish.  You would just get "bonus tracks" that were on the CD but not on the tape.

I am guessing there are at least 50 albums released between '83-'88 where I could tell you the running time within 1-2 minutes.

Rattle and Hum is an annoying just under 75 minutes.  I'll say like.. 73 minutes.

Diesel and Dust is just barely over 45 minutes because there is quite a bit of dead space at the end of that one where you'd think it would be enough for Sometimes but apparently just shy.  So over 45 but no more than 46:30.  And Lion and Cobra is just under 45m, because you can put Sometimes on that side of the tape and then all of Lion and the Cobra fits except it cuts off Just Call Me Joe right at the very end.  It would otherwise easily fit.  Given that IMO, a 90 minute tape is usually a little longer than 90 minutes, and that Call Me Joe is an extra long song, I would say Lion and The Cobra clocks in at maybe 43 minutes.  Those two albums together would run 89 minutes and fit just perfectly on a 90 minute cassette except you would end up with half of Sometimes on one side and half on the other.

Now it seems to me that the clear move is to just scrap Sometimes because even though admittedly it is a decent song and one of the better ones on Diesel and Dust, it's still kind of a generic Midnight Oil song.  It's like a B+/A- song.  You don't want to lose it.  Just Call Me Joe though, is a goddamn masterpiece.  Cutting that song off with a minute left is criminal.

But...that's what you dealt with in those days.  I can't be mad, because that tape actually came from a surprising source-- a guy who I never hung out with and was sort of popular and I had no idea he listened to "New Wave" until he brought an Echo tape to tennis practice.  So good for you dude, I did not expect a dub from you at all, much less two and I know your heart was in a good place because you loved Midnight Oil so you made the call.  And then much later I found out you were going through a lot of shit, like way more than me and no one knew so props for being nicer to me than I was to you.  I'm guessing you enjoyed Strangeways Here We come and Automatic more than I thought you would so hopefully that's good.  Thought those were two odd albums to ask me for but now I get it.

The right length for a movie is 1:40.  I used to think that was too short, now I mostly can't sit that long unless it is really good.  Most movies now seem to clock in at like 2:15 and I am definitely like "Hurry this shit up already for long periods."
« Last Edit: November 14, 2019, 06:36:33 PM by Zafer Kaya »

euro60

• City Elder
« Reply #972 on: November 18, 2019, 10:30:50 AM »

I saw The Irishman this weekend. That's the new Martin Scorsese film, with a running time of 3 hrs. 29 min. (without intermission, to be clear).

It is playing in a very limited theater release before going wide on Netflix next week. The interest in/demand for this film is enormous, and why Netflix isn't giving this a wider theater release is a mystery to me. The reported production budget for this film is $160 mill.

I was forward-looking enough to buy tickets beforehand. When my son and I showed up on Saturday afternoon for this at the Mariemont, there was a mob-like scene, a huge crowd with people jockeying for position to get into the theater. When they finally let us in the theater, then there was jockeying to get a decent seat. Not surprisingly, the theater was pretty much sold out.

As to the movie itself, I quite enjoyed it. Scorsese can make these mobster movies in his sleep, as can de Niro, Pacino and Pesci. Truth be told, the movie is just way too long for its own good, and easily could've been trimmed by a good 20-30 min. without losing any of its essence.

Paco

• Tourist
« Reply #973 on: November 18, 2019, 05:02:27 PM »

I'm really looking forward to The Irishman, fortunately I have Netflix and I'lll wait. What did you think of the CGI de-aging? I'm holding out judgement, I mean, they couldn't exactly get younger actors to play them as everyone knows what they looked like way back but still, something doesn't sit right with me about it.

euro60

• City Elder
« Reply #974 on: November 19, 2019, 04:32:56 PM »

The CGI de-aging was done very well IMHO.

Pages: 1 ... 63 64 [65] 66 67   Go Up