Randomville

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
GigaBook.com
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 ... 63 64 [65]   Go Down

Author Topic: Random film thoughts  (Read 68452 times)

c-lando

• Bacon Research & Sparkle Development/Cr0ndog Millionaire
  • City Elder
Re: Random film thoughts
« Reply #960 on: January 23, 2019, 09:06:52 AM »

Total snub for PADDINGTON 2. Not one nomination. BOOOOOOOOOOOOOOLLOCKS!

HARD STARE!

I hope everyone in the voting committee gets marmalade on their favorite sweater.
Once the bacon's done, all pants are off.  
PANTS PANTS REVOLUTION!!!

Cockney Rebel

• I don't have an accent. You do.
  • Global Moderator
  • City Elder
  • Art is impossible to define. Shitty art is not.
« Reply #961 on: January 24, 2019, 08:59:36 PM »

"Bohemian Rhapsody" nominated for best film.

What a crock of shit.

Rami Malek, sure, but the entire movie, are you fucking kidding me?
Opulence. I has it.

euro60

• City Elder
« Reply #962 on: January 27, 2019, 05:29:02 PM »

"Bohemian Rhapsody" nominated for best film.

What a crock of shit.

Rami Malek, sure, but the entire movie, are you fucking kidding me?
Someone stop the presses: CR and I actually agreeing on something movie-related!

I myself super-excited that Romad got 10 Oscar nominations (remember it was my No. 1 movie of the year), although I'd be surprised it actually will win more that maybe 1 or 2.

Green Book getting 5 Oscar nominations is a JOKE. The movie is a cliche-riddled, done-bye-the-numbers "The Odd Couple" meets "Driving Miss Daisy".
"A blind faith in authority is the worst enemy of truth" - Albert Einstein (1901)

The Cincinnati Symphony Orchestra is one of Cincinnati's underappreciated treasures

euro60

• City Elder
« Reply #963 on: February 16, 2019, 11:32:35 PM »

The latest troubles at MoviePass:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/arts-entertainment/2018/11/08/moviepasss-latest-excuse-being-problematic-is-that-its-literally-run-by-dogs/?utm_term=.bfc5d38cff48

I can only tell you that my experience is very different. The theaters I attend the most by far (Esquire, Mariemont, Kenwood) have zero restrictions on their movies being 'eligible' for MoviePass. Furthermore, even though I am supposed to get only 3 movies a month under the monthly subscriber fee of $9.99, in fact I am not getting charged for any movies that I watch at these 3 theaters above and beyond the 3 movies/mth. Zero. Nada. I don't know whether it is a flaw within the MoviePass system, or whether these theaters have worked out a special deal with MoviePass. Not that I care one way or another. So the bottom line is that I can see as many movies as I want at these 3 theaters for $9.99/mth.

The MoviePass gravy train has finally stopped for me.

Some weeks ago, the Esquire/Mariemont/Kenwood stopped their limitless watching and now they are back in the fold like all the other theaters <sigh> Meaning, few movies are being offered, and very limited screenings. Since my last monthly $9.99 MoviePass renewal on Jan. 25, I've watched exactly 2 movies that qualified. So unless something opens up in the next week that qualifies, I may not even make it to 3 movies under the $9.99 monthly allowance for this month. I'll give it another month or two... see what develops, but I'm skeptical...
"A blind faith in authority is the worst enemy of truth" - Albert Einstein (1901)

The Cincinnati Symphony Orchestra is one of Cincinnati's underappreciated treasures

Dan

• Tetris Master
  • City Elder
« Reply #964 on: February 25, 2019, 03:40:34 PM »

Say what you want about 2019's Oscar winners and losers etc. I want to just say how happy I was for the team behind Free Solo. I've never seen anything like that and I felt it was well deserved. I wished their speech was a little more composed perhaps but hey what an amazing night for them.

EVERYTHING ABOUT THAT FILM IS CRAZY!!!!!

euro60

• City Elder
« Reply #965 on: February 25, 2019, 05:38:41 PM »

Say what you want about 2019's Oscar winners and losers etc. I want to just say how happy I was for the team behind Free Solo. I've never seen anything like that and I felt it was well deserved. I wished their speech was a little more composed perhaps but hey what an amazing night for them.
The minute I saw Free Solo last October, I had zero doubt it would win the Oscar for Best Documentary. By the way, now 4+ months later, it is STILL playing at the Esquire.

I didn't watch the Oscars last night, but by happenstance caught a 15 min. "Making of Free Solo" documentary on ESPN yesterday. Even though I had seen the movie and obviously knew the outcome, it was still almost impossible for me to watch the actual climbing scenes.

As to Green Book winning the Best Picture Oscar, it is PC at its Hollywood worst. It isn't even close to being the "best" movie of the year. The movie is dreadfully average, contrived and strictly by the numbers. Not to mention all of the controversies that have been swirling around the movie makers for months. But hey, Hollywood is diversifying, and can pat itself on the back for being so open-minded and cool with it. What a joke.

I happened to see this article in The Ringer, which I think captures it all quite well:

https://www.theringer.com/movies/2019/2/25/18239415/academy-awards-91-best-picture-green-book

Pages: 1 ... 63 64 [65]   Go Up