Randomville

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
GigaBook.com
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Down

Author Topic: New TV Shows 2020  (Read 3313 times)

Butter

• Suffering from early-onset douchiness
  • City Elder
Re: New TV Shows 2020
« Reply #30 on: May 18, 2020, 02:01:06 PM »

Agreed on all points. Storytelling at its very best.

In case you hadn't heard, the two lead actresses will be around for the first three episodes of Season 3, and then give way to older (not to mention, more age-appropriate) actresses for the remainder of Season 3 and all of Season 4.

It really sucks we need to wait a whole year before we get to Season 3.

I did not, but it makes sense seeing as those young ladies will maybe be 18 for Season 3 and they were stretching to appear in their early 20's for the end of this past series.  Also looking forward to it.

c-lando

• Bacon Research & Sparkle Development/Cr0ndog Millionaire
  • City Elder
« Reply #31 on: June 24, 2020, 10:14:27 AM »

If you haven't watched the Amazon original series UPLOAD, you are really missing out! It's a satirical look at the afterlife of the future, where your essence and memory can be uploaded to the cloud of your choice - as long as you've got the dosh. It's like a mash-up of The Good Place and Black Mirror and is really witty and fun and dark and perfect.

I just binged this two weekends ago - all in one day - and loved it! I can't believe that I hadn't heard anyone discussing it. But, then I remembered that I haven't been on here in like 2 months. I'm glad you loved it MK. I really hope it gets another season.

Once the bacon's done, all pants are off.  
PANTS PANTS REVOLUTION!!!

Cockney Rebel

• I don't have an accent. You do.
  • Global Moderator
  • City Elder
  • Art is impossible to define. Shitty art is not.
« Reply #32 on: June 24, 2020, 04:06:27 PM »

Not many shows can boast a priest getting a handjob, but Netflix’s “White Lines” does. Along with several orgies, a deafening by concert speakers, drug taking, general debauchery and copious shots of the island of Ibiza. All wrapped up in an unsolved murder case, that of a successful DJ from Manchester. There’s plot holes - literally - but it chugs along quite entertainingly. British / Spanish co-production.
Opulence. I has it.

c-lando

• Bacon Research & Sparkle Development/Cr0ndog Millionaire
  • City Elder
« Reply #33 on: June 24, 2020, 05:36:05 PM »

Not many shows can boast a priest getting a handjob, but Netflix’s “White Lines” does. Along with several orgies, a deafening by concert speakers, drug taking, general debauchery and copious shots of the island of Ibiza. All wrapped up in an unsolved murder case, that of a successful DJ from Manchester. There’s plot holes - literally - but it chugs along quite entertainingly. British / Spanish co-production.
This one is on my list, especially because it seems like something that The Greg and I would both enjoy!
Once the bacon's done, all pants are off.  
PANTS PANTS REVOLUTION!!!

Dan

• Tetris Master
  • City Elder
« Reply #34 on: June 28, 2020, 06:28:20 PM »

It's not new, but my wife and I THOROUGHLY THOROUGHLY loved "What We Do In The Shadows." I want more discussion of it, except that it's a straightforward comedy so I don't know what to discuss.

"Why are you married to these boiled potatoes?!?"

MissKitty

• Hooray Beer!
  • City Elder
« Reply #35 on: June 28, 2020, 07:28:37 PM »

If you haven't watched the Amazon original series UPLOAD, you are really missing out! It's a satirical look at the afterlife of the future, where your essence and memory can be uploaded to the cloud of your choice - as long as you've got the dosh. It's like a mash-up of The Good Place and Black Mirror and is really witty and fun and dark and perfect.

I just binged this two weekends ago - all in one day - and loved it! I can't believe that I hadn't heard anyone discussing it. But, then I remembered that I haven't been on here in like 2 months. I'm glad you loved it MK. I really hope it gets another season.

After that ending, SURELY there'll be a second season.

So glad you enjoyed it too. I loved everything about it.
Duct tape can't fix stupid.

Zafer Kaya

• City Elder
« Reply #36 on: July 05, 2020, 01:48:21 AM »

I’m trying to get into Warrior Nun, but it ain’t happening.

I don’t understand why Portuguese Ellen Page speaks American.  She’s orphaned at 7 in Spain and spends 11 years there.  It seems to me like she would be more comfortable in Spanish.  You don’t speak American for 11 years, your skills will atrophy.  There’s no way she doesn’t pick up an accent.  Also, she would have the vocabulary of a seven year old, and it would also be frozen in time from 2009. 

I guess you could say she never made it out of the orphanage, but why is there an orphanage in Spain where everyone speaks English?

It’s very confusing, because everyone in the show speaks English... but of all different dialects/accents. I don’t know whether people are talking to each other in English, or if their accented English is supposed to mean they are really speaking in Spanish like how TV does foreign languages.  Or if they are speaking British English because they are supposed to be like intellectual or if they are actually British.

Portuguese Ellen Page probably knows how to speak Latin-accented English.  So just make her Spanish, and then she speaks Spanish-English and we just assume she is speaking Spanish.  Simple.

Dan

• Tetris Master
  • City Elder
« Reply #37 on: July 06, 2020, 11:42:39 AM »

Lolz. I didn't what you're talking about, so I watched the trailer. That looks so dumb, and so fun, and just both awful and wonderful. I'd probably love it.

In fact, I feel like if they had made that into a movie rather than a series, I'd have been all over it already. I'll try to give it a shot in the coming weeks. :-)

euro60

• City Elder
« Reply #38 on: July 06, 2020, 01:47:36 PM »

I watched the opening episode of "Outcry" on Showtime this weekend. It's a 5 part (each lasting about 1 hr.) documentary about a 17 yr. old HS football player in suburban Austin who is accused of molesting two 4 yr old boys. He claims to be innocent high and low but is convicted and given a 25 yr. jail sentence without the possibility of early parole. The backlash from the community regarding the conviction is quick and widespread.

Did he do it? Beats me. I guess we'll find out a lot more in the remaining 4 hours. Episode 1 was riveting from start to finish. Highly recommended if you like true crime documentaries.

The weekend before last I watched the opening episode of "I'll Be Gone In the Dark", another true crime documentary TV-series (6 parts if I recall), this one airing on HBO. It's about a woman crime writer in LA who decides to look into the unresolved 1970s crime spree of a California serial rapist and murderer. I had very high expectations of this, and was a little let down by Episode 1 (and haven't had a chance yet to watch Episode 2--I'll get to it soon). Not bad, but I'm hoping it gets better. 
"A blind faith in authority is the worst enemy of truth" - Albert Einstein (1901)

The Cincinnati Symphony Orchestra is one of Cincinnati's underappreciated treasures

euro60

• City Elder
« Reply #39 on: July 08, 2020, 11:03:28 AM »

I watched the opening episode of "Outcry" on Showtime this weekend. It's a 5 part (each lasting about 1 hr.) documentary about a 17 yr. old HS football player in suburban Austin who is accused of molesting two 4 yr old boys. He claims to be innocent high and low but is convicted and given a 25 yr. jail sentence without the possibility of early parole. The backlash from the community regarding the conviction is quick and widespread.

Did he do it? Beats me. I guess we'll find out a lot more in the remaining 4 hours. Episode 1 was riveting from start to finish. Highly recommended if you like true crime documentaries.

I just binge-watched the remaining 4 episodes on SHO On Demand. A legal and emotional rollercoaster that left me completely gutted. One of the better true crime documentary series I've seen in a long time. HIGHLY RECOMMENDED.
"A blind faith in authority is the worst enemy of truth" - Albert Einstein (1901)

The Cincinnati Symphony Orchestra is one of Cincinnati's underappreciated treasures

Dan

• Tetris Master
  • City Elder
« Reply #40 on: July 18, 2020, 10:34:46 PM »

I’m trying to get into Warrior Nun, but it ain’t happening.

I don’t understand why Portuguese Ellen Page speaks American.  She’s orphaned at 7 in Spain and spends 11 years there.  It seems to me like she would be more comfortable in Spanish.  You don’t speak American for 11 years, your skills will atrophy.  There’s no way she doesn’t pick up an accent.  Also, she would have the vocabulary of a seven year old, and it would also be frozen in time from 2009. 

I guess you could say she never made it out of the orphanage, but why is there an orphanage in Spain where everyone speaks English?

It’s very confusing, because everyone in the show speaks English... but of all different dialects/accents. I don’t know whether people are talking to each other in English, or if their accented English is supposed to mean they are really speaking in Spanish like how TV does foreign languages.  Or if they are speaking British English because they are supposed to be like intellectual or if they are actually British.

Portuguese Ellen Page probably knows how to speak Latin-accented English.  So just make her Spanish, and then she speaks Spanish-English and we just assume she is speaking Spanish.  Simple.

I'm 8 of the 10 episodes in and it totally hooked me. Hahaha.

I was under the impression that Portuguese Ellen Page spoke American b/c she's American and her mom and her were vacationing in Spain when the car crash happened. Strange maybe that she didn't lose her accent, but I hear a lot of people say they learned to speak English b/c of TV so that would have helped her, including with her vocabulary. I mean, she knew what a neural net was, which I could believe b/c it would be something that would really help a quadriplegic. But in the end, you're right - it's a bit of a long shot. Especially in the orphanage.

Some of the other characters reveal their backgrounds as the show progresses and they did mostly come from all over the world, and speaking English to each other, even in Spain, might be the most common language.

I'll probably finish the series before Monday, but hey so far I've called it "that stupid show that I love" and that is about right. My wife can't stand the concept of the element divinium. I hated "unobtanium" from Avatar and a handful of other sci-fi sources, but I don't hate divinium as much. It feel like a real thing, kind of.

Dan

• Tetris Master
  • City Elder
« Reply #41 on: July 20, 2020, 01:03:21 PM »

Also, I totally finished Warrior Nun and I have to say...it was so stupid and yet I loved it. I looked forward to watching it and now that I've finished it I really find myself missing the characters and wanting to know what's next/what's more.

The dialogue is ridiculed elsewhere throughout the internets, and rightly so, but otherwise I can't criticize too much.  It was fun.
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Up