Randomville

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
GigaBook.com
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 ... 86 87 [88] 89 90 ... 105   Go Down

Author Topic: Random TV thoughts ...  (Read 141698 times)

Poolio

• Global Moderator
  • City Elder
Re: Random TV thoughts ...
« Reply #1305 on: August 25, 2014, 12:35:05 PM »

And Clara has rather outlived her usefulness, I think.

Agreed. I've thought she was oversold as a mystery girl and the underdelivered by the storyline. I hope that the rumors of her departure at Christmas are true. Time for a new companion, I think.
Insert witty phrase or quote here.

dirk

• City Elder
« Reply #1306 on: August 25, 2014, 12:47:53 PM »

I agree on Clara. It has been way too much of telling us how important and amazing she is while showing very little of it.

As for the new Doctor, I'm withholding judgement. It was hard to tell what he was really like with it being the typical "The doctor just regenerated and is still finding himself" episode.

I do think it is really time for Stephen Moffat to go though. He is great on the character and emotional front, but his plots just don't hold water. If you put any real thought into what is actually happening in an episode, it just completely falls apart.
1+2+2+1
Gown removed carelessly. Head, less so. - Joss Whedon

va-vacious

• City Elder
    • http://va-vacious.livejournal.com
« Reply #1307 on: August 25, 2014, 10:58:04 PM »

I do think it is really time for Stephen Moffat to go though. He is great on the character and emotional front, but his plots just don't hold water. If you put any real thought into what is actually happening in an episode, it just completely falls apart.

yes!

I'll be interested to see if it is a whole season-long arc. I kind of miss the more stand-alone episodes. And I really don't want to hear any more about the Impossible Girl!

lutz

• City Elder
« Reply #1308 on: September 25, 2014, 09:30:49 AM »

So, Colin Farrell and Vince Vaughn for the next season of True Detective. I think they could be pretty good, actually. Farrell is obviously born to play the conflicted, substance-abusing (possibly Irish-American) cop, and I'll be interested to see how Vaughn plays the villain. I hope he's more menacing than good-hearted criminal with principles.

dirk

• City Elder
« Reply #1309 on: September 25, 2014, 01:12:08 PM »

So far, I am liking Peter Capaldi as The Doctor, but I am absolutely hating everything else this season. The last episode was complete pants. Once again, Moffat falls back on his "closed time travel loop" trope (woman calls Doctor and asks him to do something but the only reason she can call the Doctor and ask him to do it is because he gives her his phone number when he is done doing it). The one before it with the thing under the bed was the same thing and just as bad. The plots are just terrible and insulting at this point.
1+2+2+1
Gown removed carelessly. Head, less so. - Joss Whedon

Butter

• Suffering from early-onset douchiness
  • City Elder
« Reply #1310 on: December 17, 2014, 01:34:13 PM »

Finally got around to watching the first two episodes of Black Mirror...

Wow. Just wow. It's amazingly done and the stories are great, but damn it burns a hole in your brain.   
Charlie Brooker is such a fantastic writer. Black Mirror is always really fucked up, but not in a gory way like Utopia or a completely implausible way like Misfits. It's very appropriately titled. I'm always amazed by how good the casting is in these Channel 4 shows, too.

This just came to Netflix.  I have watched 4 of the 6 so far, and probably will fire up the other 2 tonight.

Really well done.  Episodes 2 and 3 especially so far.  Episode 2 was in a way a melancholy version of "Idiocracy", but combined with some other futuristic elements that aren't all that far-fetched.  Episode 3 was more just a relationship drama with basically one sci-fi element played to tragic effect.

I hear a Christmas special is also due about now, which hopefully I'll be able to YouTube or something.

Very highly recommend that you spend an hour or six with this series on Netflix during the holidays if you haven't seen it already.

lutz

• City Elder
« Reply #1311 on: December 18, 2014, 01:16:52 PM »

Yeah, it's already aired. You can watch it on 4oD with a UK proxy. I'm about to watch it right now :D

Butter

• Suffering from early-onset douchiness
  • City Elder
« Reply #1312 on: December 18, 2014, 02:54:02 PM »

Episode 5, "White Bear"... holy shit.

lutz

• City Elder
« Reply #1313 on: December 18, 2014, 03:23:35 PM »

White Bear is definitely the fuckest uppest.

Top tip: watch White Christmas asap so that you have time to recover before actual Christmas. Fuck me...

gisrick

• Summer Resident
« Reply #1314 on: January 29, 2015, 02:00:39 PM »

We are now watching Kate and Minmin on Disney Jr. in the mornings...The kids got sick of Curious George and Odd Squad.  That's what happens when your life is ruled by a 5 and 3 year old.

MissKitty

• Hooray Beer!
  • City Elder
« Reply #1315 on: January 29, 2015, 04:13:42 PM »

My friend's 3-year old kiddie got me hooked on Tree Fu Tom when we were in Edinburgh last year, and I noticed recently that there is now an American version on I think NBC. Gisrick, have your two seen it?
Duct tape can't fix stupid.

gisrick

• Summer Resident
« Reply #1316 on: January 30, 2015, 08:45:05 AM »

Sure, we have watched it...It is on Sprout (young kids network owned by Comcast I think).  It is not the kids favorite, but they do like it.  It is very interesting though. 

euro60

• City Elder
« Reply #1317 on: January 30, 2015, 04:36:03 PM »

I'm on a complete Law & Order binge-watch since I was in Florida in early January. By happenstance I noticed that the "WE" network shows like 6 episodes in a row on both Tuesdays and Saturdays. Absolutely love it. I didn't realize the original L&O ran from 1990 to 2010, so they have an almost limitless supply of episodes. Of which I have seen very, very few...

I then noticed that USA Network binge-shows L&O Special Victims Unit on Thursday evenings, and I've watched some of that too, but for me it's not nearly as good as the original L&O.

At some point I'll want to sample L&O Criminal Intent or whatever that other spin-off is called. 

L&O has been a life-saver for me, given the lack of supply of decent new movies in the theaters...
"A blind faith in authority is the worst enemy of truth" - Albert Einstein (1901)

The Cincinnati Symphony Orchestra is one of Cincinnati's underappreciated treasures

Dan

• Tetris Master
  • City Elder
« Reply #1318 on: January 30, 2015, 04:50:49 PM »

My g/f is a massive consumer of all L&O original recipe and all L&O: SUV episodes. In fact, 90% of the time she knows which one it is within moments of turning it on. You two would get along well.

Cockney Rebel

• I don't have an accent. You do.
  • Global Moderator
  • City Elder
  • Art is impossible to define. Shitty art is not.
« Reply #1319 on: February 09, 2015, 09:11:13 AM »

Law & Order UK is fabulous telly. Many of the stories are based on US "originals" so don't always suit British 'habits' but by and large they get it right. Bradley Walsh is brilliant.
Opulence. I has it.
Pages: 1 ... 86 87 [88] 89 90 ... 105   Go Up