Randomville

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
GigaBook.com
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 ... 92 93 [94] 95 96 ... 105   Go Down

Author Topic: Random TV thoughts ...  (Read 114750 times)

jcarwash31

• Citizen
    • The Big Stuff Project
Re: Random TV thoughts ...
« Reply #1395 on: September 01, 2015, 03:48:40 PM »

We watch a lot of Octonauts on Netflix. The 2 year old loves it and we kind of like it too. I think it's out of Australia.

My wife has started watching Reading Rainbow with the kid too.

Kwyjibo

• Bringing Grumpy Back
  • City Elder
« Reply #1396 on: September 01, 2015, 03:56:02 PM »

Yep, Octonauts is another good one.
Baby, check this out, I've got something to say.  Man, it's so loud in here.

va-vacious

• City Elder
    • http://va-vacious.livejournal.com
« Reply #1397 on: September 02, 2015, 02:40:41 PM »

I also think that because there are more options today, that is part of the reason it seems so bad. Say, 25% of kids shows are good, you're looking at 4 out of 12 or 40 out of 120...
I still love Reading Rainbow, and I miss 3-2-1 contact.
And there were some crazy kids shows in the 80s, I know! (Rainbow Brite, for example)

TayFo

• City Elder
« Reply #1398 on: September 02, 2015, 05:05:15 PM »

We watch a lot of Octonauts on Netflix. The 2 year old loves it and we kind of like it too. I think it's out of Australia.

My wife has started watching Reading Rainbow with the kid too.
Vegimals, man. Vegimals.

Ella Minnow Pea

• Numbers Guru
  • Administrator
  • City Elder
  • Reference Desk
« Reply #1399 on: September 29, 2015, 10:26:03 PM »

I'm finally watching Ken Burn's The Civil War. Although to be precise, it is showing on the TV while I'm doing some other things. It's not getting the undivided attention that it deserves. I am impressed with all the people involved in the narration - including one "Larry Fishburne".
also known as rcc94

va-vacious

• City Elder
« Reply #1400 on: October 29, 2015, 04:29:01 PM »

Has anyone watched Hemlock Grove on Netflix? I'm midway through the first season, and really enjoying it. It's pure popcorn, and maybe a little to vague for its own good, but I'm having fun. It doesn't hurt that it has some pretty, pretty actors in it too. (One of whom is Bill Skarsgaard, Alexander's younger brother, and Stellan's son- while Bill and Alexander look almost nothing alike, there are similarities in body type and in expressions. It's interesting to see how genes kick in)

va-vacious

• City Elder
« Reply #1401 on: January 15, 2016, 02:05:19 PM »

I've watched the first two seasons of Hannibal over the summer, and really liked them. The third season is not available on Amazon Prime yet, or netflix, so I'm trying to decide if I go ahead and buy it for $15, rather than paying to stream for $25. (I am sure there are some other ways to see it, but I'm not savvy enough to have that figured out!)
It seems crazy to me that I can get a physical copy of the series for less than a digital only copy. And the bluray has special features that are not available on the digital release. Such a weird way of marketing, but clearly it's working.

I'm probably going to cave and purchase, since I don't want to wait another year to see a series that isn't coming back.

Kwyjibo

• Bringing Grumpy Back
  • City Elder
« Reply #1402 on: January 15, 2016, 02:15:14 PM »

I'd buy the physical copy, watch it, and then sell it again.  You can probably get $8 to $10 of that back if you turn it around quickly.
Baby, check this out, I've got something to say.  Man, it's so loud in here.

va-vacious

• City Elder
« Reply #1403 on: January 15, 2016, 04:13:31 PM »

Oh! That's a good idea! I really don't need to have the series-- it's beautifully stylized, but it's not like it's something that I'll say, "Oh! Tonight seems like a great night to re-watch a cannibal series!" I'm weird, but not that weird.

trixi

• Sun Bum
  • Global Moderator
  • City Elder
  • My heart belongs to Ryne Sandberg
« Reply #1404 on: January 15, 2016, 10:02:43 PM »

What about your local library?  We have it here (not that its convenient for you in Atlanta :-)
"Beware the lustful fires that burn in a librarian's heart. They can rage beyond all control."

va-vacious

• City Elder
« Reply #1405 on: January 19, 2016, 03:26:42 PM »

I didn't check the local- they have some current series, but my super close library tends to skew older with the movies. I'll check, though.

I HAVE been using the library lately, which is really, really nice.  Up with Librarians!

Incidentally, I live in a bizzarro conservative town in a conservative county that votes down any and all taxes, infrastructure support, community good things, etc. But the town has its own library, in addition to the county one. And the library has great hours (8 or 9 pm most nights, 7 days a week) and a huge collection. It's just a bit weird to me that a place that frowns upon doing things for the public good is providing such a good service.

Zafer Kaya

• City Elder
« Reply #1406 on: January 19, 2016, 09:46:47 PM »

In my experience, libraries typically enjoy bi-partisan, if rather lukewarm support.

Libraries, schools, roads, and parks are on the "okay" list.  A favorable view would say that these are local community things providing tangible benefits and whose effectiveness and budgets can be controlled by their stakeholders.  More cynically, I suppose it could be rephrased as "We like things that help us, but not other people."  More positively, you could look at libraries as falling into the "hand up, not hand" out category.  Everyone has equal opportunity to use them.  And if some poor dude wants to read up, educate himself, and contribute to society through his own efforts the library is there for them.

They might have issues with libraries carrying naughty books, but even then that's not a problem with libraries per se, just library content.  And there still exists a decent contingent of libertarian types who support free speech.  Especially when some of those naughty books are things like Huckleberry Finn or Farenheit 451 which are kind of anti-government and/or "anti-PC."

Same thing with schools.  Conservatives they love, love, love public charter schools.  Which is funny to me, because charter schools typically have bright students and more time to teach hippy shit than regular-ass public schools who are just trying to keep kids from taking drugs and at least getting them through the GED curriculum.  If you want a bunch of liberal elites, send them to charter schools.

They like parks because many of them are hunters or outdoorsy types.  Even if you can't actually hunt in your typical park, running around and throwing rocks at nerds and play yuppie sports like soccer or whatever is part of the (white), conservative, suburban ideal.

Democrats also like those things for many of the same reasons.  I mean, go to a local library.  Not a whole lot of poor people in them, usually.  It's mostly mid/upper-class types who could afford to buy books.  Not too many poor people in suburban parks either.  I mean, maybe sometimes there are homeless people or shady druggies but those are the parks people DON'T like.  Even then, they would approve money to clean them up.

Conservative support for those things is actually pretty huge.  Liberals support them, but they also support tons of other government stuff like social services and whatnot.  For conservatives, they DON'T support that much other government stuff so the fact that they can get behind libraries is a difference maker.

I think it is strange that Democrats support the Arts.  I mean, you could build a big stage/arena for a bunch of snobby people to dress up ad watch orchestra and ballet... or you could use that money so poor people can eat.  I mean, conservatives don't really care about poor people like that so it makes sense they might value culture and/or elitism over welfare moms.  But Dems?

Ella Minnow Pea

• Numbers Guru
  • Administrator
  • City Elder
  • Reference Desk
« Reply #1407 on: January 24, 2016, 10:54:44 PM »

How did Galavant get renewed? And why am I watching it?
also known as rcc94

c-lando

• Bacon Research & Sparkle Development/Cr0ndog Millionaire
  • City Elder
« Reply #1408 on: February 01, 2016, 02:08:23 PM »

I liked the LUCIFER pilot enough to keep watching it. It's not ground-breaking, but it's fun for network TV.
Once the bacon's done, all pants are off.  
PANTS PANTS REVOLUTION!!!

Butter

• Suffering from early-onset douchiness
  • City Elder
« Reply #1409 on: February 01, 2016, 03:00:05 PM »

Not sure if I already mentioned BASKETS on here?  But yeah, if you are a fan of the Galifianakis oeuvre, which is essentially heavy on pathos and completely non-sequitur wacky moments, then you'll like this.  Or, Louie Anderson in drag playing a totally believable senior citizen mom.  He's the best in this.

Also, am currently catching up on THE LEFTOVERS Season 2.  This is one inscrutable fuckin' show, and I love it.  3 episodes into Season 2, and man, is it good.

Any thoughts on THE X-FILES reboot yet?  I'm only through one of the three episodes that have aired so far.
Pages: 1 ... 92 93 [94] 95 96 ... 105   Go Up