Randomville

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
GigaBook.com
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 ... 98 99 [100] 101   Go Down

Author Topic: Random TV thoughts ...  (Read 94261 times)

va-vacious

• City Elder
    • http://va-vacious.livejournal.com
Re: Random TV thoughts ...
« Reply #1485 on: February 15, 2018, 09:35:17 PM »

ah, this is why we are friends! Tan is pretty great, too. That hair is phenomenal.

Chris

• Citizen
« Reply #1486 on: February 16, 2018, 10:02:15 PM »

Ok, so the new Queer Eye is pretty decent. Although I wouldn't mind it if Jonathan got slightly too close to a switched on ceiling fan.
Back from hiatus.

Zafer Kaya

• City Elder
« Reply #1487 on: February 17, 2018, 09:21:07 PM »

I binge-watched the entire season until 2:00 last night.

I woke up today crazy fired-up.  I organized my pantry and deep cleaned the kitchen.  Then I mulched about 50 square feet of my backyard, re-frosted my bathroom window, did 2 loads of laundry and re-organized my dressers, vacuumed my upstairs, cleaned a bathroom, made almost a week's worth of healthy lunch and dinner plus smoothies and some chicken salad for my mom, got a haircut, changed my filters and two bulbs, and bought a new shirt for work.

luisterpaul

• City Elder
« Reply #1488 on: March 29, 2018, 08:21:00 AM »

The Expanse

LOVED season one, even if they were so subtle I had to watch the whole thing again to get it all.

I'm liking season two, though they're doing too much to make it more straightforward. There's almost no subtlety at all.

I hope season three is a good compromise.

c-lando

• Bacon Research & Sparkle Development/Cr0ndog Millionaire
  • City Elder
« Reply #1489 on: March 29, 2018, 08:22:45 AM »

Ok, so the new Queer Eye is pretty decent. Although I wouldn't mind it if Jonathan got slightly too close to a switched on ceiling fan.
JVN is amazing. SHUT YOUR MOUTH.

ZK, watching the show has the same effect on me. I'm glad it's on Netflix so that I can easily find it whenever I need a dose of inspiration.
Once the bacon's done, all pants are off.  
PANTS PANTS REVOLUTION!!!

Ella Minnow Pea

• Numbers Guru
  • Administrator
  • City Elder
  • Reference Desk
« Reply #1490 on: May 14, 2018, 09:04:58 PM »

Last year I missed that Timeless went from cancelled to renewed, so I was quite happy when it came back this year. Just watched the "season" finale. Hoping it isn't the series finale, but at least it's not quite as cliffhangery (its a cliffhanger I can live with as an ending).

Glad that The Good Place is coming back for a 3rd season!
also known as rcc94

Butter

• Suffering from early-onset douchiness
  • City Elder
« Reply #1491 on: May 15, 2018, 07:18:34 AM »

THE TERROR is such a good show.

It works as a supernatural horror show.
It works as a period piece about British sailing expeditions.
It works as an acting showcase for Jared Harris and Ciaran Hinds.
It works as a character study.

It works as a lot of different things.  You should watch it.  I've got 2 episodes left, and I guess we could fumble right before the goal line, but I just don't see it happening.

c-lando

• City Elder
« Reply #1492 on: May 15, 2018, 10:36:59 AM »

It works as a lot of different things.  You should watch it.  I've got 2 episodes left, and I guess we could fumble right before the goal line, but I just don't see it happening.

I was wondering about this show. Thanks for the recommendation.

Butter

• City Elder
« Reply #1493 on: May 22, 2018, 08:22:55 AM »

The finish was even better than the preceding several episodes.  This should be a must watch for everyone.  The ratings for this bombed, which is a shame.  This is the kind of real adult entertainment that doesn't question your intelligence or talk down to you.  Yeah, it's a little out there.  Definitely worth it though.

Dan

• Tetris Master
  • City Elder
« Reply #1494 on: May 22, 2018, 08:50:37 AM »

Finished Wild, Wild Country. I wish I had a lot of interesting things to say about it, but just... damn! Crazy stuff.

I did enjoy how they completely glossed over a few things like,
-finances? Where/how did this cult gets its funding? I know they mentioned it a little, but there was a lot left blank
-neighbor relations? I know they didn't get along with the neighbors, but WHY? They showed up and there was instant friction. If they tried working with them to at least have some kind of relationship so so so many of their problems would have disappeared. This is a key component of what I do professionally - how did they have all those people and not realize anything about community engagement?!?

Butter

• City Elder
« Reply #1495 on: May 22, 2018, 10:15:26 AM »

Finished Wild, Wild Country. I wish I had a lot of interesting things to say about it, but just... damn! Crazy stuff.

I did enjoy how they completely glossed over a few things like,
-finances? Where/how did this cult gets its funding? I know they mentioned it a little, but there was a lot left blank

Had a lot of followers and targeted wealthy people, especially people in LA/Beverly Hills...

-neighbor relations? I know they didn't get along with the neighbors, but WHY? They showed up and there was instant friction. If they tried working with them to at least have some kind of relationship so so so many of their problems would have disappeared. This is a key component of what I do professionally - how did they have all those people and not realize anything about community engagement?!?

Did you see their PR person?  Doesn't that tell you all you need to know?  They didn't give a flying frick about the neighbors.

Kwyjibo

• Bringing Grumpy Back
  • City Elder
« Reply #1496 on: May 22, 2018, 10:32:22 AM »

I haven't seen the show but what you are describing is 100% anti-thetical to most people's natural inclinations.  Do you have to look any farther than the daily news to see that people 1.) don't give a shit about trying to understand anyone else's point of view and 2.) aren't about to concede anything that they think they have a right to in order to make peace with or help others?
Baby, check this out, I've got something to say.  Man, it's so loud in here.

Zafer Kaya

• City Elder
« Reply #1497 on: May 22, 2018, 04:41:53 PM »

Yeah, it's less that people don't care about others than that we have a remarkable ability to warp the truth to prevent conflict.

We know that what we want is actually what other people want or should want, even if they say it isn't.  Or we can have what we want and it really doesn't hurt them, even if they say it does.

I hate talking to people about cults because the convo always turns to how intelligent people join cults and so are they really intelligent and what is real intelligence?

And the answer is no, those people aren't actually intelligent.  And I can tell because I have real intelligence, and you can't tell because you don't.  The fact that I can discern smart from stupid and don't need to ask questions about it is the very thing that makes me smart.  And smart can't explain itself to stupid.  Can you teach your dog to add?  Yeah, same thing.  If you knew how stupid you were, you wouldn't be so stupid.  It's a vicious cycle.  I don't know how you get out of it.  If I did, I'd be smarter.  The fact that I realize I know a lot of things and way more than you but I also know I don't know everything is how I'm smart but not that smart, whereas you are only stupid.

Then they get all offended and say they would never join a cult.  And I have to tell them how they are already in the world's largest, most inescapable cult which is the Cult of Dumbasses Doing Stupid Shit.  Well, I guess I don't technically HAVE to tell them that.  I just do because they're annoying me and I'm tired of taking shit from their stupid cult.

Zafer Kaya

• City Elder
« Reply #1498 on: May 22, 2018, 08:57:35 PM »

Stream of consciousness review of a Richmond Househunters episode:

Damn this is a gooooood looking couple.  Not just because they classed up House Hunters.  They are just good lookin’ peeps.  I can see this chick walking out of yoga with a sweat mustache yet somehow looking fresh-faced like heeeey how are YOU!  And then like Constance Wu is right behind her.

Yeah, they met at a gym.  Shock.

This dude knows his stuff.  Works for the city, clearly a history/architecture/Richmond buff.

Budgetof $450k.  Should be good on that.

“They want to be able to walk downtown for work and are looking at Church Hill, Northside, and the Fan.”  Church Hill?  Totally walkable.  The Fan?  Teeechnically it is walkable.  I’ve done it.  But we’re talking about a 2 to 3 mike elk.  You’re not doing that every day.   Northside?  Yeah, no way.  Not close. You guys are from Richmond, you know this.

That house is on Parkwood.  I know it.  You know that’s not the Fan, dude.  Also how is that house going for $385k?  It is literally backing up to the Expressway with really just a chainlimk fence as barrier.

Okay, this looks like Northside.  Ginter or Battery Park?  This is obviously a flip.

Dude— “I don’t like vinyl.”  Right there with you, my man. 

Okay, now dude is getting whiny.  He doesn’t like that the house has been all trendied up.  Which, I mean I agree.  But you want a big family TV room and a garage or finished basement.  You know you aren’t getting that in an unflipped history house.  And your girl is not down with that at all, she’s all on the open concept white kitchen master bathroom suite so you just have to give it up.

Way East part of Church Hill.  Chick—“We’re on the edge of walkability.”  That is a 20 minute walk.  Not bad at all.  By far the most walkable place.

This house has been renovated recently but maybe not by a flipper.  They left the creepy basement alone and kept some features that probably a straight flipper would not.  OTOH, that is a rapidly gentrifying, very recently crappy area so maybe someone did a quick job on it.

Dude—“I love stucco.”  Now you lost me. 

How are you not lookg in Southside?!?  It’s Queen Anne’s with wraparound porches all day long.  I’ll tell you what is even better than a wrap around porch dude.  Sleeping porch.  They got those.  You were just at the rock climbing wall.  You clearly love the James and outdoor stuff.  T Pott bridge and the wall are in your backyard.  Kayaking! Biking!  Hiking! 

Nooooooooo.... the flip?   Dude.  Do people still make the pussywhipped noise?  Because they need to bring it back just for you.  That Church Hill House was all you duuuude.  It’s not walkable, it’s not urban, they took all the architectural details out.  Why dude why?!?

Wait what?!?  How the crap is this house $430k?  I mean, I actually like Battery Park because it is a little street car commuter suburb.  And I know it has been kind of a little boutique-y rich over the last decade but that is ALOT.  It’s not even The Ter.  Now that’s a cool place if you have the $$.

Ugh, this house is a depreciation machine. You know all that brand new stufff loses 25% of its value in 5 years when stiles change and it gets a few rings.  Why?  WHY?
« Last Edit: May 23, 2018, 10:22:16 AM by Zafer Kaya »

c-lando

• City Elder
« Reply #1499 on: May 23, 2018, 10:03:22 AM »

Now I wish I had recorded this episode when I saw it come up on the guide. Will have to find it and read your post along with it.
Pages: 1 ... 98 99 [100] 101   Go Up