Randomville

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
GigaBook.com
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 ... 102 103 [104] 105   Go Down

Author Topic: Random TV thoughts ...  (Read 116083 times)

Zafer Kaya

• City Elder
Re: Random TV thoughts ...
« Reply #1545 on: June 09, 2019, 12:57:51 PM »

Just finished season 3 of Documentary Now!

Theereís three basic formulas to the show, depending on what they are spoofing.  When the documentary is focused on an personality, They just get Fred Armison to play him as a frustrating creepy who is oblivious to what a dick he is.  Heís good at it, but since thatís pretty much what Armison always does and he who is in real life, it gets boring.

Then thereís the artsy sort of documentaries about subjects or that include the filmmaker as subject and you kind of need a more straight-forward role.  And then Hader does it, which he is very good at and I think it is harder than Armisonís stuff, because he has to balance being straight and playing for laughs and play different types of people.

Th third is the mega guest star episode.  Often these are musical spoofs where they need extra people who can sing a bit.

Itís the same mix in season 3, only with more guest stars.  The first two episodes are a Wild Wild Country take with Owen Wilson and Michael Keaton.  Itís kind of a slow burn funny where the plot of the original is already absurd so they just kind of just play up the comedic elements and exaggerate it.  Itís somewhat funny on itís own, but only really funny if you have seen the original doc.

Thereís a Natasha Lyonne sighting in the Chet Baker episode, which is otherwise kind of blah and is another Armison plays oblivious self-centered weirdo one.  Cait Blanchett stars in one and sheís pretty good, but thatís another Armison bad guy one.

But the genius episode is the Sondheim Company Soundtrack rip-off.  That shit is firing on every level.  If you have seen the original, the filming style and some of the scenes are great homages.  But also the songs are fantastic, both in to the degree in which they imitate Sondheim and just in the fact that they are great songs on their own.  Mulvaney has a role as kind of a snobby guy which is what he is good at, but whatís heís best at is writing because he is crazy-smart and a lot deeper than he is as an actor/stage comedian.  And you can tell he spent a lot of time on this.  It has Rene Elise Goldsberry in it who kind of isnít even acting, this is what she actually does.  Like she gets really into the musical numbers, but I think that is legit because she is into the musical numbers.

The whole thing is on point.  If you are not into musicals or documentaries, you can just laugh at a the lyrics and a bit of physical comedy and a couple of killer lines.  If you are into documentaries but not musicals, you can appreciate how well this was filmed in Company Soundtrack style.  If you are into musicals but not documentaries, you can just listen to a pretty rippiní soundtrack.  I mean thereís a two Tony Winners for performance in a Musical co-starring together.  That actually doesnít happen that often in real on life Broadway.  And you kind of need them, because the numbers are not easy.  Also Paula Pell does a fantastic job of singing in a realistically bad way and then turns that song into kind of a legit powerhouse performance.

I was seriously walking around all day singing ďThe brown, and the beige, and the brown, and the beige, and the BRROOWWNNNN!Ē  Also, in one number they throw in a twisty little chord sequence with a Neopolitan or augmented sixth that is just gorgeous.  Iíve been trying to figure out what it is, because I want that.

I would totally go see Co-op the musical if it were real. 

Kwyjibo

• Bringing Grumpy Back
  • City Elder
« Reply #1546 on: June 10, 2019, 11:21:50 AM »

That episode was genius.  They replayed it with sing-a-long subtitles the other day and we deleted it off the DVR without rewatching it, now I kind wish we hadn't.

The previous two seasons didn't have nearly as many guest stars.  From what I heard they had to do that this season because Hader was so busy with Barry.  I really thought it worked, you can't remake EVERY documentary with Armison and Hader.

I don't want to hate Armison, but I'm getting there.  You just hear so many lousy things about the guy.  And like you said, he's a one trick pony and that's getting old too.
Baby, check this out, I've got something to say.  Man, it's so loud in here.

c-lando

• Bacon Research & Sparkle Development/Cr0ndog Millionaire
  • City Elder
« Reply #1547 on: June 10, 2019, 02:34:38 PM »

But the genius episode is the Sondheim Company Soundtrack rip-off.  That shit is firing on every level.  If you have seen the original, the filming style and some of the scenes are great homages.  But also the songs are fantastic, both in to the degree in which they imitate Sondheim and just in the fact that they are great songs on their own.  Mulvaney has a role as kind of a snobby guy which is what he is good at, but whatís heís best at is writing because he is crazy-smart and a lot deeper than he is as an actor/stage comedian.  And you can tell he spent a lot of time on this.  It has Rene Elise Goldsberry in it who kind of isnít even acting, this is what she actually does.  Like she gets really into the musical numbers, but I think that is legit because she is into the musical numbers.

The whole thing is on point.  If you are not into musicals or documentaries, you can just laugh at a the lyrics and a bit of physical comedy and a couple of killer lines.  If you are into documentaries but not musicals, you can appreciate how well this was filmed in Company Soundtrack style.  If you are into musicals but not documentaries, you can just listen to a pretty rippiní soundtrack.  I mean thereís a two Tony Winners for performance in a Musical co-starring together.  That actually doesnít happen that often in real on life Broadway.  And you kind of need them, because the numbers are not easy.  Also Paula Pell does a fantastic job of singing in a realistically bad way and then turns that song into kind of a legit powerhouse performance.

I was seriously walking around all day singing ďThe brown, and the beige, and the brown, and the beige, and the BRROOWWNNNN!Ē  Also, in one number they throw in a twisty little chord sequence with a Neopolitan or augmented sixth that is just gorgeous.  Iíve been trying to figure out what it is, because I want that.

I would totally go see Co-op the musical if it were real.

I'll have to go look for this episode. Loved when Richard Kind performed a number on LATE NIGHT.
Once the bacon's done, all pants are off.  
PANTS PANTS REVOLUTION!!!

Butter

• Suffering from early-onset douchiness
  • City Elder
« Reply #1548 on: July 02, 2019, 09:36:55 AM »

The discussion of DOCUMENTARY NOW! made me watch Season 3.

I'd agree that Co-Op The Musical! was the best of the season.  Paula Pell's whole bit, and the portion about the pronunciation of "ruined" got me the best.  Also, "Poco's coming in to record an album" followed by Mulaney's joke about "When you lean into a rhyme, you shatter the conversational tone of the lyric. It's like nails on a blackboard to me, and I love you all."  (I had to look up the quote)  Just the way he tossed off that line when earlier he refused to tell the cast the musical was cancelled was perfect.

I thought the Cate Blanchett / performance art one was pretty close.  You would have to have watched the Marina Abramovic bio-pic from HBO, which I actually highly recommend, to get the most out of it.  I haven't seen it in 7 years, and would say that many of the art set pieces didn't seem too far off.

The rest of the season was just fine.  I identified a bit too much with the bowling one, as I recognized that the main character was supposed to be Pete Weber, and I then reminisced on why I would know that.

I actually thought the 2 weakest ones were Armisen starring, Long Gone, and Searching for Mr. Larson.  There were good bits in each (Long Gone, the throwaways about how the dude was part of a totalitarian regime unwittingly, and in Larson the bits with the wife).

euro60

• City Elder
« Reply #1549 on: July 02, 2019, 10:15:16 AM »

Is anyone watching the new HBO series Euphoria? If so, what is your take on it?
"A blind faith in authority is the worst enemy of truth" - Albert Einstein (1901)

The Cincinnati Symphony Orchestra is one of Cincinnati's underappreciated treasures

Chris

• Citizen
« Reply #1550 on: July 05, 2019, 04:04:43 PM »

Glad to see that this season of Stranger Things stuck closer to the first season than the second. The only things I had issue with this time were Terminator Russian and Steve's relationship taking up too much time, but those are minor quibbles as compared to the search for Elle's mom/family which derailed a good chunk of last season.

dirk

• City Elder
« Reply #1551 on: July 05, 2019, 05:34:40 PM »

Glad to see that this season of Stranger Things stuck closer to the first season than the second. The only things I had issue with this time were Terminator Russian and Steve's relationship taking up too much time, but those are minor quibbles as compared to the search for Elle's mom/family which derailed a good chunk of last season.
I'm only I think 5 episodes in, but I think if anything they need more Steve. They could just drop all the other plot lines and do nothing but Steve. I would watch an entire show of him working at the mall, hitting on girls, and interacting with the boys. They can just rename it Stranger Things- Steve Harrington Edition and I would be happy.
1+2+2+1
Gown removed carelessly. Head, less so. - Joss Whedon

euro60

• City Elder
« Reply #1552 on: July 06, 2019, 12:18:13 AM »

so I guess nobody is? I don't blame ya
"A blind faith in authority is the worst enemy of truth" - Albert Einstein (1901)

The Cincinnati Symphony Orchestra is one of Cincinnati's underappreciated treasures

Zafer Kaya

• City Elder
« Reply #1553 on: July 06, 2019, 12:38:52 AM »

We're all watching Stranger Things.  You should get in on that.

Oh wait.  You don't have Netflix.  Burn.

dirk

• City Elder
« Reply #1554 on: July 06, 2019, 07:57:36 AM »

It's on my radar but I haven't watched it yet. I have all the eps downloaded though. I know almost nothing about it except for the fact it was compared to Skins, which is one of my favorite shows so I was sold based on that.
1+2+2+1

euro60

• City Elder
« Reply #1555 on: July 06, 2019, 11:58:08 PM »

Oh wait.  You don't have Netflix.  Burn.
Ha! no I don't

euro60

• City Elder
« Reply #1556 on: July 06, 2019, 11:58:54 PM »

It's on my radar but I haven't watched it yet. I have all the eps downloaded though. I know almost nothing about it except for the fact it was compared to Skins, which is one of my favorite shows so I was sold based on that.
I'll be interested in your view once you get to it

dirk

• City Elder
« Reply #1557 on: July 09, 2019, 10:15:34 PM »

I'll be interested in your view once you get to it
I am only 3 episodes in, but I am really liking it so far. I can definitely see the comparison to Skins as they both deal with that messy part of youth that doesn't normally get covered in teen shows. I do wish there was a little more humor, because it is a really heavy show, but I like it. I'm sure a lot of people, especially older people, will think it is gratuitous, but there are plenty of people with lives exactly like the show. And I love their use of texting and things like that. It has a feel as it was written by people who are on the young side, as I think they nail the culture in a way a lot of shows don't.
1+2+2+1

euro60

• City Elder
« Reply #1558 on: July 09, 2019, 11:03:30 PM »

Thanks for your feedback, Dirk

I saw the first episode of "Euphoria" from start to finish, even though I was tempted to quit on it midway, but I thought I should give it a fair chance over a full episode. I can tell you now that I will not watch any further episodes. I am not a prude, and I can appreciate the beautiful photography and some of the acting performances. That said, this show makes it look as if every single 17 yr. old high school kid has mainly three things in mind (and then acts upon it): boozing, drugs, and sex. Nothing more, nothing less. Are there some 17 yr. old like that? I'm sure there are.

Let me ask you this: how many 17 yr. old kids do you know first hand who live like the 17 yr. old kids portrayed in "Euphoria"? Like the Jules character, who chats and meets up with an anonymous guy old enough to be her dad whose user name is "dominantdaddy001" (and then commits statutory rape)? Or the Rue character who spends much of the summer in drug rehab? Etc. etc. I personally do not know a single 17 yr. old like that. You may say that I am "not connected with the real world", and I would readily disagree with that.

I can't help but notice that the series (based on the Israeli TV series of the same name) is written and directed by a guy, and this leads me to believe this is likely more a projection of a guy's Hollywood fantasy than it is a portrayal of the real world. Yes, these things do happen here and there, but to say that boozing, drugs and sex is mainly what 17 yr. old kids think about and act upon is simply not true.

dirk

• City Elder
« Reply #1559 on: July 10, 2019, 07:25:45 AM »

I personally know people who had similar experiences to some of these characters growing up. Things were obviously different 30 years ago when I was in high school, but I know people who went out and got drunk and smoked pot every chance they got. Some did drugs, but they grew up in the suburbs where the drugs were generally pot and not much more, but some of them messed around with harder stuff. As for the sex, I knew plenty of people sleeping around with multiple people. There weren't any real way to hook up with strangers, but I knew people having one night stands with people they met somewhere. The show is more extreme than what I know of from people personally, but then again things have changed since I was young and Cincinnati is very different from larger cities (plus I wasn't into the scenes where this would happen mostly, but I still encountered it somewhat). People said similar things about Skins when it came out, but it was mostly written by young people writing based on their experiences. You also need to remember you saw a single episode that was busy establishing characters and situations, so you didn't see anything more than that. There wasn't a lot of opportunity to show much more than that because the characters were still being established. In the next 2 episodes it goes more into character motivation and personality (and yes, more sex and drugs).

The show obviously is not a portrayal of what all kids go through or how most kids act. But I think it is a portrayal of what some kids go through and how they act. The same thing applies to any teen show. Most people didn't have any experience anything like 90210, but some did. The show obviously will not be for everyone based on the subject matter, but I don't think it is unbelievable at all. The only thing I think is exaggerated is all of this happening to the same group of friends at the same time, but that is the same as any TV show. 
1+2+2+1
Pages: 1 ... 102 103 [104] 105   Go Up