Randomville

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
GigaBook.com
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 ... 89 90 [91] 92 93 ... 105   Go Down

Author Topic: Random TV thoughts ...  (Read 113390 times)

MissKitty

• Hooray Beer!
  • City Elder
Re: Random TV thoughts ...
« Reply #1350 on: April 10, 2015, 01:22:01 PM »

We watched a few episodes of Kimmy. Fun and quirky, but I got bored with it pretty quickly.

There is a UK show that CR and I watch as something of a guilty pleasure called First Dates. The premise: Singles fill out an online survey/application and are computer matched with someone whom they will meet at the First Dates restaurant at a specific day and time. The couples do not know anything about each other - or even what the other person looks like - only the person's first name.

It's a really fun show. Sometimes there are love matches, and just as often there are total bombs. The dates are filmed and participants get a chance to evaluate their experience.

And now, NBC is accepting applications for a US show with Ellen DeGeneres as executive producer.

If anyone is interested in giving it a shot, they are casting in Ohio.  https://firstdatescasting.popular.productions/
« Last Edit: April 10, 2015, 01:25:24 PM by MissKitty »
Duct tape can't fix stupid.

lutz

• City Elder
« Reply #1351 on: April 10, 2015, 01:45:46 PM »

There is a UK show that CR and I watch as something of a guilty pleasure called First Dates. The premise: Singles fill out an online survey/application and are computer matched with someone whom they will meet at the First Dates restaurant at a specific day and time. The couples do not know anything about each other - or even what the other person looks like - only the person's first name.

It's a really fun show. Sometimes there are love matches, and just as often there are total bombs. The dates are filmed and participants get a chance to evaluate their experience.
My housemate is obsessed with that programme. If you like that, you'll probably like Gogglebox as well. It's a TV show about people watching TV shows...

Needless to say, I watch neither of them. Supervet is my guilty pleasure ;)

Zafer Kaya

• City Elder
« Reply #1352 on: April 10, 2015, 02:03:56 PM »

Finished off BETTER CALL SAUL and WALKING DEAD this week.  BCS was the stronger of the two, but definitely looking forward to both next season.

Anybody else tried UNBREAKABLE KIMMY SCHMIDT on Netflix yet?

I finished the first season of Unbreakable Kimmy Schmidt a few weeks.  You just have to take it like a sitcom, and not like something with a central concept or some kind of storyline that goes anywhere or things that make sense.  So it's not really great Netflix binge viewing because it doesn't really pull you in.   You could almost just watch the episodes in random order. 

But if you just watch it when you have spare time, expecting nothing more than a few laughs it's fine.  There's at least 2-3 laugh out loud moments in each epsiode.  It's pretty much just 30 Rock, really.  The theme song definitely gets in you brain.

Better Call Saul is quality.  IMO, by far the best thing on TV right now and I'd also put it higher than Breaking Bad (mildly overrated) and Mad Men (at this point MASSIVELY overrated).

Walking Dead continues to be good enough but not great.  The problem is still that at any given time there are 5-6 characters who we really don't know enough and/or care at a given moment.  Like Maggie has just been hanging around now for about 2 seasons, and her sister died in the middle of it and we still really don't know what she's thinking.  She's just sort of a Glenn-prop.

This problem is exacerbated by the fact that the characters currently under the spotlight have a bad habit of either dying, or undergoing some personality change as a plot twist.

Right now, I feel like I'm into Carol, Daryl, gay guy, Glenn, and maybe Michonne.  That leaves Rick, Maggie, chickRickwants, leader chick, black dude 5.0, Carl,  chickCarlwants, Tara, Gabriel, Rosita and Tara (who I still sometimes have trouble telling apart), Abraham, and Eugene and some others.  It's just way too many characters to have on a show.

Dan

• Tetris Master
  • City Elder
« Reply #1353 on: April 10, 2015, 02:09:35 PM »

Right now, I feel like I'm into Carol, Daryl, gay guy, Glenn, and maybe Michonne.  That leaves Rick, Maggie, chickRickwants, leader chick, black dude 5.0, Carl,  chickCarlwants, Tara, Gabriel, Rosita and Tara (who I still sometimes have trouble telling apart), Abraham, and Eugene and some others.  It's just way too many characters to have on a show.

Don't tell that to Game of Thrones! I love all the characters that it has and how if "feels" like it's all leading to something big and gigantic at the end. Here's to hoping that it actually does!

MissKitty

• Hooray Beer!
  • City Elder
« Reply #1354 on: April 10, 2015, 02:12:51 PM »

My housemate is obsessed with that programme. If you like that, you'll probably like Gogglebox as well. It's a TV show about people watching TV shows...

Needless to say, I watch neither of them. Supervet is my guilty pleasure ;)

Oh yeah, we watch Gogglebox too. CR streams it and First Dates via 4OD.

Butter

• Suffering from early-onset douchiness
  • City Elder
« Reply #1355 on: April 10, 2015, 02:36:14 PM »

Better Call Saul is quality.  IMO, by far the best thing on TV right now and I'd also put it higher than Breaking Bad (mildly overrated) and Mad Men (at this point MASSIVELY overrated).

First season of BCS was superior to Breaking Bad's first season for me.  I quit watching BB because I was bored with it, and picked up back up towards the end of season 2 after I went back and caught up.

Reading interviews with the BCS showrunners, it seems like they do a great job of really letting the story grow organically.  If you have seen the first season, I encourage you to read the interview at HitFix, where they talk about not using some characters as much, while using others more than they thought because they found certain aspects of the season to be more compelling than others as the season went along.

Zafer Kaya

• City Elder
« Reply #1356 on: April 10, 2015, 02:54:53 PM »

Don't tell that to Game of Thrones! I love all the characters that it has and how if "feels" like it's all leading to something big and gigantic at the end. Here's to hoping that it actually does!

I've never watched the shows, but at least the GoT books are different.  All the characters are in different places.  So you can do 2-3 chapters on what's going on up North.  Then skip over to Westeros.  It does get confusing, and sometimes annoying but it doesn't damage the plot. 

In Walking Dead everyone is at the same place and time.  And the pacing is fast.  So if you put a character on the backburner for a bit, by the time you come back to them it's 4 months later and in between people have died and killed other people and massively traumatic things have happened, and we don't know how they felt or feel about any of it.
« Last Edit: April 10, 2015, 03:12:55 PM by Zafer Kaya »

Dan

• Tetris Master
  • City Elder
« Reply #1357 on: April 10, 2015, 03:12:13 PM »

Fair enough, and yes, the TV show is similar to the books in that regard. They make it pretty clear which setting the next scene is through the general use of color - the Wall is either bleak and dark or very very white, the stuff with Dany is usually very sepia toned and desert-y, etc.

lutz

• City Elder
« Reply #1358 on: April 10, 2015, 03:13:39 PM »

A-ha, you're in luck! Enjoy :)

Noel Fitzpatrick is so dreamy.

MissKitty

• Hooray Beer!
  • City Elder
« Reply #1359 on: April 10, 2015, 06:13:36 PM »

A-ha, you're in luck! Enjoy :)

Noel Fitzpatrick is so dreamy.
Looks like our kind of show! Cheers!

c-lando

• Bacon Research & Sparkle Development/Cr0ndog Millionaire
  • City Elder
« Reply #1360 on: April 15, 2015, 12:20:38 PM »

Anyone watch DAREDEVIL on Netflix yet? I've never seen the Affleck movie and I've never read the comics. But, I do love me some Charlie Cox!!! Thinking I'll have to check this series out even though they did make him shave his majestic chest hair for the show. BOOOOOOO!

Once the bacon's done, all pants are off.  
PANTS PANTS REVOLUTION!!!

TayFo

• City Elder
« Reply #1361 on: April 16, 2015, 10:18:50 PM »

I've watch one episode, have the comics (still) and saw the *ahem* movie. I like it. Struggling law practice, enduring sidekick, hasn't gotten a real costume together and they don't play up his extrasensory abilities cause we get it we''re not stupid. I am interested in the back story that got him to start the vigilantism. I've also been watching Gotham and getting the same vibe.

Dan

• Tetris Master
  • City Elder
« Reply #1362 on: April 17, 2015, 09:13:18 AM »

Anyone watch DAREDEVIL on Netflix yet? I've never seen the Affleck movie and I've never read the comics. But, I do love me some Charlie Cox!!! Thinking I'll have to check this series out even though they did make him shave his majestic chest hair for the show. BOOOOOOO!

Does he mention a bubbling candle?

Haven't watched it but might consider it. Loved Charlie in Stardust, obvi.

c-lando

• Bacon Research & Sparkle Development/Cr0ndog Millionaire
  • City Elder
« Reply #1363 on: April 20, 2015, 12:43:00 PM »

I hate that the hot guy's name on iZombie is MAJOR. WHY!?!?!?!
You could name a hot dude any name in the world and you name him MAJOR!?!?!
What is he? A German Shepherd? It's the worst name ever and I can't excuse it, Rob Thomas!!!
You are better than that.
BTW, I was hard on Rob for the name "Major" but totally failed to mention that the main character (a zombie) is named "Liv Moore". Seriously. I need to get my priorities straight.
Once the bacon's done, all pants are off.  
PANTS PANTS REVOLUTION!!!

va-vacious

• City Elder
    • http://va-vacious.livejournal.com
« Reply #1364 on: April 20, 2015, 11:03:12 PM »

I'm glad I'm back to having access to my Netflix account so I can start watching Bloodlines again. Kyle Freakin' Chandler is on a slow burn with this one. I am making myself ration it out, because it's so rich. It looks like a Garden and Gun magazine come to life, and then you look a little deeper and see it's full of decay.

Still need to catch up on iZombie (Liv Moore, ugh bad name, but Rob Thomas can do almost no wrong)

Oh, I've become completely addicted to Supernatural, now that it's 10 seasons old. I'm a little embarrassed by this but not really.
Pages: 1 ... 89 90 [91] 92 93 ... 105   Go Up