Randomville

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
GigaBook.com
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 ... 93 94 [95] 96 97 ... 105   Go Down

Author Topic: Random TV thoughts ...  (Read 124201 times)

Kwyjibo

• Bringing Grumpy Back
  • City Elder
Re: Random TV thoughts ...
« Reply #1410 on: February 01, 2016, 03:31:52 PM »

Not sure if I already mentioned BASKETS on here?  But yeah, if you are a fan of the Galifianakis oeuvre, which is essentially heavy on pathos and completely non-sequitur wacky moments, then you'll like this.  Or, Louie Anderson in drag playing a totally believable senior citizen mom.  He's the best in this.

It's one of those shows that I find difficult to watch because the main protagonist (not to mention every other character) is so completely unlikable and self defeating.  In that regard I find it very much like The Last Man On Earth which we finally decided we just couldn't watch anymore.

The second episode was better than the first, especially the juggalo and Costco membership story lines.  They need to drop the wife character, like now, she's a cliche.
Baby, check this out, I've got something to say.  Man, it's so loud in here.

c-lando

• Bacon Research & Sparkle Development/Cr0ndog Millionaire
  • City Elder
« Reply #1411 on: February 01, 2016, 04:24:24 PM »

Also, am currently catching up on THE LEFTOVERS Season 2.  This is one inscrutable fuckin' show, and I love it.  3 episodes into Season 2, and man, is it good.
THE LEFTOVERS was the greatest surprise of TV last year for me.
I did not see that second season going where it went and it only gets better, Kwyjibo. STAY WITH IT.

I never really dug the X-Files but I've watched the first episode of the new season for The Greg. He's into it. I'm all MEH on my side of the couch.

I hope that AMERICAN CRIME STORY can live up to the hype in my head. SO EXCITED for that to start this week.
Once the bacon's done, all pants are off.  
PANTS PANTS REVOLUTION!!!

dirk

• City Elder
« Reply #1412 on: February 01, 2016, 05:27:11 PM »

I liked the LUCIFER pilot enough to keep watching it. It's not ground-breaking, but it's fun for network TV.
I still dislike the premise. We don't need Castle with the Devil. But Tom Ellis is just so damn charming and perfect for the role it's hard to stop watching it.
1+2+2+1
Gown removed carelessly. Head, less so. - Joss Whedon

dirk

• City Elder
« Reply #1413 on: February 01, 2016, 05:28:04 PM »

Also, am currently catching up on THE LEFTOVERS Season 2.  This is one inscrutable fuckin' show, and I love it.  3 episodes into Season 2, and man, is it good.
This may the single greatest season of TV ever created. I liked season 1 but season 2 was just about perfect in every way.
1+2+2+1

Kwyjibo

• Bringing Grumpy Back
  • City Elder
« Reply #1414 on: February 01, 2016, 10:40:30 PM »

I did not see that second season going where it went and it only gets better, Kwyjibo. STAY WITH IT.

Wait... second season of what?  Last Man on Earth?

c-lando

• City Elder
« Reply #1415 on: February 02, 2016, 04:11:42 PM »

THE LEFTOVERS.

Ella Minnow Pea

• Numbers Guru
  • Administrator
  • City Elder
  • Reference Desk
« Reply #1416 on: February 14, 2016, 05:19:02 PM »

Degrassi has moved over to Netflix. The opening line for the season was a reference to Drake's Started from the Bottom. I can't figure out which wall that breaks.

I'm also enjoying the other Rob Thomas references on iZombie - a Kristen Bell vocal cameo, among others.
also known as rcc94

Kwyjibo

• Bringing Grumpy Back
  • City Elder
« Reply #1417 on: February 15, 2016, 09:18:13 AM »

THE LEFTOVERS.

I thought that's what you meant, which is why I was confused.  I've never seen that show.

c-lando

• City Elder
« Reply #1418 on: February 15, 2016, 10:10:31 AM »

THE LEFTOVERS.

I thought that's what you meant, which is why I was confused.  I've never seen that show.
Oops. Meant BUTTER. Sorry.

Butter

• Suffering from early-onset douchiness
  • City Elder
« Reply #1419 on: February 16, 2016, 08:34:43 AM »

Thought THE LEFTOVERS wrapped it pretty well up in the Season 2 finale, so am a little surprised they are bringing it back one more time.

THE AMERICANS Season 3 just came on Amazon Prime yesterday, so I got 5 episodes into the 13 episode season last night... still good as ever, if perhaps a little more slow-building.

BETTER CALL SAUL finally came back last night, and that was pretty good too.  And realized during the middle of it, when they ran a WALKING DEAD promo, that I pretty much have stopped watching that show and wasn't all that interested in what was going on with it anymore.  Because they had major spoilers in the ad for it (on purpose, maybe?), and I was largely un-fazed.

Zafer Kaya

• City Elder
« Reply #1420 on: February 16, 2016, 09:12:33 PM »

Walking Dead was okay, but for all wrong reasons as usual.

A bunch of people died stupidly, in ways that were at once predictable and yet somehow random.  It would have been really frustrating, except they were all so annoying and hapless it was a relief to finally see them die.  And so quickly!

Because of poor plotting, the semi-annual cleansing of the useless characters was wrapped up pretty much in the first half of the show.  Which left the second half for a nice zombie fight full of action and heroics and good killing.  And things that either shouldn't work, or if they did why are the zombies even a problem if they are so easily killable?

It ended on a hopeful note for Rick and the crew.  But really more hopeful for the viewers that yet another failed story arc was concluded, we can pretend it never happened, and there is a new beginning.  And maybe THIS time they won't screw it up horribly.  But hope is fading pretty quickly...

Kwyjibo

• Bringing Grumpy Back
  • City Elder
« Reply #1421 on: February 16, 2016, 10:21:45 PM »

How (and why) are there still this many zombies? 

dirk

• City Elder
« Reply #1422 on: February 16, 2016, 11:34:18 PM »

This episode of TWD was bad for a number of reasons. First, this really should have been the mid-season finale. All of the storylines from this season ended last night, not 3 months ago. You had Rick and Jessie, Jessie's son dealing with Rick killing porch dick, and Gabriel and Eugene getting over their fear of zombies. These were all storylines that should pay off in the finale not after a 3 months hiatus. Second, they botched the deaths. So they are walking through the zombies for hours (it was light at the beginning and dark later, how big is this damn town) and after all that Sam suddenly decides to freeze and panic? And then no one has the bright idea of just pulling him along? They all just stop and stare at him until for some unknown reason zombies finally notice him and eat him? It was similar to the comics but in them he panicked and started calling for his mom, which attracted zombies. In this case, I think they didn't want to show the poor kid screaming "mommie" as he was being eaten as it probably would have been a bit much for TV so they dropped that part, but then the whole thing didn't make sense. Third, you had the whole show become a video game at the end. Rick gets Coral to safety and is so worried that he immediately just walks outside into the zombie horde and starts killing them. You know, the horde that was too big for anyone to survive. Yet Rick just walks out and starts taking them all out. And everyone else runs out with him and they just start mowing down zombies like someone set the difficulty to easy mode. And let's not forget Glenn being surrounded by zombies (again) and Abraham and Sasha showing up and managing to just mow down every zombie around him on full auto and not injuring him at all. They are apparently descended from Rambo with those machine gun skills.

The ending with Rick sitting next to Coral was really good and the action was good, but overall it just wasn't good.
1+2+2+1

Kwyjibo

• Bringing Grumpy Back
  • City Elder
« Reply #1423 on: February 17, 2016, 08:23:20 AM »

Man, Dirk.  Completely on the nose.

Zafer Kaya

• City Elder
« Reply #1424 on: February 17, 2016, 10:58:49 AM »

I could actually buy the zombie slaughter at the end, to a certain extent.

The Alexandrians were so massively incompetent that even locked up somewhere they could still manage to endanger Rick's crew.  You figure each one reduced the fighting power of a Rick guy by 1/2.  Which means that despite having say, a dozen members, Rick's crew was really like 6 or so against all the zombies.

But if 20 or so Alexandrians go into full-beast mode and instead of being like -.5 usefulness, they were all .75 usefulness (and it's quite possible that guys like Black Intellectual, Gabriel, Denise and whiteguy-who-has-always-been-almost-competent (not Aaron) might even have gotten pretty close to 1.

So your fighting force goes from 6 to 30 or so.  The zombies are really only dangerous with the element of surprise and/or their ability to mass swarm someone like 10-on-1.  Both those elements were removed.  No one was getting boxed in, plus the zombies were distracted by fire.  Plus no Wolves or Negan guys.

You figure the fire would draw the bulk of the zombies, where they would burn up or get mowed down by automatic weapons fire.  All they had to really was hack up the stragglers.

That doesn't stop all the other logical inconsistencies up to that point, or all the deus ex machina stuff.  But I'm just saying-- I would have been willing to overlook the zombie slaughter.  If that was the only thing.  But it wasn't.  There were 9999 other plot holes/logical inconsistencies going on. 

But, like I said... in a way it wasn't bad.  Because despite being totally stupid, they did manage to get rid of most of the awful characters and stupidness in on fell swoop and can start all over. 

Oddly, the thing that bothers me most is that Tara is obviously at least 5 months pregnant and no one has said a thing about it.  Because that's still going on.
Pages: 1 ... 93 94 [95] 96 97 ... 105   Go Up