Randomville

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
GigaBook.com
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 ... 99 100 [101]   Go Down

Author Topic: Random TV thoughts ...  (Read 92060 times)

notoriouspbake

• Citizen
Re: Random TV thoughts ...
« Reply #1500 on: May 23, 2018, 10:44:43 AM »

excellent series on PBS about art and the role it plays in civilization. highly reccomended. http://www.pbs.org/civilizations/home/

Zafer Kaya

• City Elder
« Reply #1501 on: May 23, 2018, 11:13:16 AM »

I was rooting for that couple until they made their choice.

It was kind of obvious who had done the reno in that house.  There are three big, or at least well-known flipping companies in Richmond.  Fortunately, they went with the one of the three that isn't declaring bankruptcy and being sued by a dozen people.  It's the one group I have heard actually does a decent job.

But that house is everything that people would warn you about.  It's the most expensive house on that block by far.  And you are paying for someone else's design and that design is more for the house to sell than to cater to anyone's taste.  You can always replace the tub, cabinet, stove, bathroom tile, etc.  I'm not saying it's cheap, but it's going to be cheaper than the $100k that just added to the price and you can get it done your way.

It's one of those rapidly gentrifying areas that is all crazy now because of the housing market.  I'm sure y'all have them, too.   You walk down the street and the houses are like $150k, $190k, small house turned 4 unit rental, probably a trap house, rental, $220k, brand new $400k flip, definitely a trap house, extremely sketchy vacant lot.

I'll give them this:  that is an area that I think is kind of cool and I root for it.  It was an old streetcar suburb with a nice park that fell into a bad state where the park had needles everywhere and people were always getting shot.  It's somewhat historically black.  Not going back a long way, but to the 70's maybe because well.. it's poor and white flight.  But there's a road that goes through there with a lot of storefront and the community there has been somewhat active recently about fixing it up.  They've gotten some cool hipster places in there, but unfortunately a bunch of them have also closed.

So I could see how like maaaybe the city planner dude was like "Yeah, you know what?  I want to help and be a part of the community so I'm going to live in a not-so-eliteish place and fix this neighborhood."  Except then they bought a gaudy $430k house that costs more than the houses in the elite-ish neighborhoods they were looking at. 

Zafer Kaya

• City Elder
« Reply #1502 on: July 04, 2018, 04:47:49 PM »

These new Queer Eye episodes came out just in time.  I needed to get some stuff done.

The episodes arenít that good this time around.  Which is actually good in a backwards way as it makes them more motivating than entertaining. I find one episode is basically enough to drive me to one half hour to an hour of work.  So... watch an ep., clean bathroom...watch an ep., clean bedroom, etc.

The thing that gets me going is the part in every episode where they show dudeís clothes all on the floor or he is wearing cargo pants and a tee and Iím like ahaha thatís just like me....wait, thatís not good.

Chris

• Citizen
« Reply #1503 on: July 06, 2018, 10:59:24 PM »

These new Queer Eye episodes came out just in time.  I needed to get some stuff done.

The episodes arenít that good this time around.

Agreed. The proposal episode was probably the closest in tone to the first season.

As an aside, Netflix put out a 20 minute Youtube video of them in Yass, Australia which was also better than most of season 2: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vM2zD5FtrkQ
Back from hiatus.

c-lando

• Bacon Research & Sparkle Development/Cr0ndog Millionaire
  • City Elder
« Reply #1504 on: July 27, 2018, 08:28:17 AM »

Soooooooooooooooo late to the party but we're finally watching HALT & CATCH FIRE and GODDAMN it is a good show. We're only on season 2 out of the 4 seasons that aired. But, I'm obsessed.

Anyone else watch it?
Once the bacon's done, all pants are off.  
PANTS PANTS REVOLUTION!!!

Zafer Kaya

• City Elder
« Reply #1505 on: September 21, 2018, 10:56:20 PM »

Ass-olotl

Dan

• Tetris Master
  • City Elder
« Reply #1506 on: September 26, 2018, 10:47:40 AM »

The Jack Ryan series has "Dan" written all over it. It's basically one 8 hour long movie.

It allows them to really dive into characters and side stories, but at some point I do remember thinking, "this would work better as a two hour movie."

euro60

• City Elder
« Reply #1507 on: October 26, 2018, 02:01:12 PM »

This is as much a "TV" question as it is a "sports" question, but has anyone else noticed that the soccer offerings on the Fox Soccer Plus channel has dropped off significantly this season? It looks like all they show nowadays is the Bundesliga, and then National Rugby League and Aussie Rules Football... ad nauseam...

Seemingly gone are the broadcasts (and same day replays in the evening) of Champions League and Europa League. Which really sucks.
"A blind faith in authority is the worst enemy of truth" - Albert Einstein (1901)

The Cincinnati Symphony Orchestra is one of Cincinnati's underappreciated treasures

Butter

• Suffering from early-onset douchiness
  • City Elder
« Reply #1508 on: October 26, 2018, 03:48:24 PM »

Turner Sports bought the rights to the Champions and Europa League this year.  You have to subscribe to something to see all the matches.  I think literally the only Europa League match that will even be shown on cable TV is the championship.  Only about 1/4 of Champions League matches will be on the smiling side of the pay wall.  It's a terrible model and I hope it fails miserably.

That is TNT and TBS.

euro60

• City Elder
« Reply #1509 on: October 27, 2018, 12:01:00 AM »

Thanks for clarifying, Butter. I had no idea. It also reduces the Fox Soccer Plus channel to pretty much nothing for soccer fans like myself.
"A blind faith in authority is the worst enemy of truth" - Albert Einstein (1901)

The Cincinnati Symphony Orchestra is one of Cincinnati's underappreciated treasures
Pages: 1 ... 99 100 [101]   Go Up