Randomville

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
GigaBook.com
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 ... 100 101 [102] 103 104 105   Go Down

Author Topic: Random TV thoughts ...  (Read 114735 times)

c-lando

• Bacon Research & Sparkle Development/Cr0ndog Millionaire
  • City Elder
Re: Random TV thoughts ...
« Reply #1515 on: December 11, 2018, 04:03:11 PM »

ATLANTA Season 2: 10/10

The Middle School, Teddy Perkins and Paper Boi in the woods episodes really elevate this to a 10.  Tracy, the new guy, was also comedic gold.  "No chase" policy is something I have some peripheral experience with and it exists.  I was looking back through the episdoes to see if there is a clunker, and there really isn't.  MAYBE the New Year's Eve "Drake" episode is the weakest, but it still had a lot of great moments. 

That's the thing about this show, all the little moments are written so well.  The part where Earn gets the text that his $8,000 in mall gift cards will expire in "20 minutes.  Maybe 10."  The whole thing with the crazy fangirl.  The breakdown of Earn and Van's relationship.

I lived the "FUBU" episode, by wearing some knockoff sneakers at one point in 7th-9th grade.  Kids were so brutal about it too.  It hit too close to home, almost, to watch comfortably.  The panic that Earn has that whole episode just rings so true.

LOVED it.  If you haven't seen it, you should start from Season 1.  Season 2 is fairly dark, but very rewarding and enjoyable.

All of this is making me want to watch the entire season again.
Once the bacon's done, all pants are off.  
PANTS PANTS REVOLUTION!!!

Butter

• Suffering from early-onset douchiness
  • City Elder
« Reply #1516 on: December 12, 2018, 08:33:43 AM »

GLOW Season 2 (Netflix): 8/10

There are a lot of characters and a lot going on in this season, but damned if they don't do a pretty good job of keeping the circus fairly well maintained and the focus on the main 2 ladies, the director, and the creator.  I stalled on this for a while, but I do think I enjoyed this season more than #1, as all that setup starts paying off here.  Falls a little too hard into melodrama at times, but I enjoy the cynical Marc Maron character the most since he is pretty much saying what I'm thinking at most times (except when he's being a little too selfish).  Plus the prospect of Season 3 with the always funny Horatio Sanz sounds great.

c-lando

• City Elder
« Reply #1517 on: December 12, 2018, 08:47:29 AM »

GLOW Season 2 (Netflix): 8/10

There are a lot of characters and a lot going on in this season, but damned if they don't do a pretty good job of keeping the circus fairly well maintained and the focus on the main 2 ladies, the director, and the creator.  I stalled on this for a while, but I do think I enjoyed this season more than #1, as all that setup starts paying off here.  Falls a little too hard into melodrama at times, but I enjoy the cynical Marc Maron character the most since he is pretty much saying what I'm thinking at most times (except when he's being a little too selfish).  Plus the prospect of Season 3 with the always funny Horatio Sanz sounds great.
I really liked this season, too. It took me a while to finally get around to watching it. But, once I started, I binged right through it. It helps that I had a stomach bug at the beach and couldn't really do anything else. But, it made being sick on vacation fairly pleasant.

Butter

• City Elder
« Reply #1518 on: December 13, 2018, 10:19:52 AM »

Homecoming (Amazon Prime): 7

I love Sam Esmail.  Season 1 of MR. ROBOT is one of the best things I've ever seen in any medium.  So once I found out he was involved with this, I had to go for it.  Even if I'm not a big Julia Roberts fan.

The performances here are really good.  Even Bobby Cannavale, who typically overacts like he's a supporting character in some kind of Jim Carrey/Nicolas Cage two-hander who has to be noticed.  Yeah, he still does that here, but it oddly works somehow.  Sissy Spacek balances that out with some nice understatement as Roberts' mom.  Shea Whigham as the bureaucrat who just wants to check a box and do the right thing is really well done.

The story itself probably is not 10 episodes worth of story.  But it makes up for it in some terrific direction, like the many (MANY) shots of driving cars and how those are done.  The confusion and the reveal around what is going on is not done linearly, but the conceit around showing which time period is which is not showy but effective.  The closing credits of the show are also done in a unique way. The end gets a little trope-y in its search for a happy ending and hopefulness, but this is definitely worthwhile.  And it's the 2nd show in 8 I have watched that focuses on a pharma trial as its main catalyzing event.
« Last Edit: December 13, 2018, 10:22:57 AM by Butter »

c-lando

• City Elder
« Reply #1519 on: December 28, 2018, 09:26:17 AM »

Why didn't anyone tell me about THE CURIOUS CREATIONS OF CHRISTINE MCCONNELL on Netflix? Everyone I've tried to tell about it has just told me how much they also liked it. WHY DIDN'T ANYONE TELL ME BEFORE VIZZ SHOWED US A CLIP ON XMAS EVE?

Butter

• City Elder
« Reply #1520 on: February 05, 2019, 12:30:00 PM »

Finished GOOD PLACE season 3 last night.  I did like how they wrapped up the last 3 episodes.  They are being smart by relegating the British lady and the dumb guy to C-story status.  They are one note characters that are only occasionally funny.

I'll be back for Season 4 next fall.  I am glad they are bottling the show back up into the "neighborhood as that was when the show was by far at its best.  I also appreciate the Ted Danson character's descent into human-ness.

Dan

• Tetris Master
  • City Elder
« Reply #1521 on: February 05, 2019, 12:43:34 PM »

I didn't realize it after Season 1, but Ted Danson is by far the best "everything" in that show.

c-lando

• City Elder
« Reply #1522 on: February 05, 2019, 12:56:55 PM »

I didn't realize it after Season 1, but D'Arcy Carden is by far the best "everything" in that show.

Fixed that for you.

Zafer Kaya

• City Elder
« Reply #1523 on: February 05, 2019, 01:30:03 PM »

I'm like two episodes behind.  Season 3 has been mildly disappointing, IMO.  Still a decent show though.

Jameela Jamil is hot as balls.

Dan

• Tetris Master
  • City Elder
« Reply #1524 on: February 05, 2019, 01:42:50 PM »

I didn't realize it after Season 1, but D'Arcy Carden is by far the best "everything" in that show.

Fixed that for you.

Janet is number 2, behind Michael in my book.

c-lando

• City Elder
« Reply #1525 on: February 05, 2019, 02:15:43 PM »

Jameela Jamil is hot as balls.

ABSO-FORKIN-LUTELY!

I'd like to be the meat in a James Blake-Lando-Jameela Jamil corkblork sandwich.

euro60

• City Elder
« Reply #1526 on: April 03, 2019, 06:05:36 PM »

Has anyone been watching the recent HBO documentary series "The Case Against Adnan Syed"? The last episode was this past weekend (but streaming on HBO on Demand).

The 4 part series is basically a visual rehash/update of 2014's (Season 1) "Serial" podcast of the same name. Which, by the way, has been downloaded more than 175 million times, I read in the NYT this past weekend. It is directed by highly respected documentarian Amy Berg.

While I certainly enjoyed watching it, and would readily recommend it if you love documentaries, there are some very obvious shortfalls as well, and the slant taken by Berg surprised me, although in her defense, she says that she would've taken whatever path the evidence would lead her to. Is that true? I have no idea.

Looks like HBO has a number of other interesting-looking documentaries in the pipe line. Can't wait!
"A blind faith in authority is the worst enemy of truth" - Albert Einstein (1901)

The Cincinnati Symphony Orchestra is one of Cincinnati's underappreciated treasures

Kwyjibo

• Bringing Grumpy Back
  • City Elder
« Reply #1527 on: April 05, 2019, 09:54:34 AM »

What do you mean "of the same name?" The podcast was called "Serial" not "The Case Against Adnan Syed."

We've seen 3 of the four episodes (we don't have HBO so we have to catch it at Julie's parent's when we can).  I didn't think it added much of anything that Serial didn't cover.  There are a few additional interviewees, probably people that were kicking themselves for the attention they missed by declining to be reviewed for Serial, but I didn't think they added much in the way of substance.  There is some new information, like the new trial and the cell phone tower evidence being bullshit, but that's all common knowledge and already known to anyone that followed Serial closely.

Having not seen the final episode, maybe it goes somewhere unexpected at the end that I don't know about yet.  I can tell you that the three episodes I saw don't really change my opinion on matters.  It's obvious that Jay was involved, he knew where the car was.  But I stand with Julie Snyder on Adnan... if he didn't do it he's the unluckiest sunuvabitch that ever was, and I just don't believe the confluences of bad luck and coincidences that would have had to transpire for the evidence to indicate him to the degree it does unless he did it.  That said, I think there is a truckload of reasonable doubt and he should never have been convicted.

The only specific criticism I have is that the ten minutes they devoted to one of Jay's ex-girlfriends was just bizarre.
Baby, check this out, I've got something to say.  Man, it's so loud in here.

euro60

• City Elder
« Reply #1528 on: April 05, 2019, 11:29:40 PM »

What do you mean "of the same name?" The podcast was called "Serial" not "The Case Against Adnan Syed."

The Podcast is called Serial. The first season was called "The Case Against Adnan Syed". The second season dealt with Sergeant Bowe Bergdahl. And so on...

Anyhow, I'll be interested in your feedback after you have seen the 4th episode of the HBO documentary....
"A blind faith in authority is the worst enemy of truth" - Albert Einstein (1901)

The Cincinnati Symphony Orchestra is one of Cincinnati's underappreciated treasures

Zafer Kaya

• City Elder
« Reply #1529 on: April 11, 2019, 08:42:24 PM »

So YouTube TV added all the Discovery Channels like HGTV and Food network. So now I have every channel.I used to get with cable.

Except then they jacked up the price $10 so now I pay just about what I would pay with cable, too.  Still better than cable, but now the line is getting pretty thin.

So I guess pretty much cable is dead and streaming is just the new cable.  I can't wait until they start asking people to sign contracts.
Pages: 1 ... 100 101 [102] 103 104 105   Go Up