Randomville

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
GigaBook.com
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 ... 101 102 [103] 104 105   Go Down

Author Topic: Random TV thoughts ...  (Read 114615 times)

euro60

• City Elder
Re: Random TV thoughts ...
« Reply #1530 on: April 11, 2019, 10:34:56 PM »

So I guess pretty much cable is dead and streaming is just the new cable.  I can't wait until they start asking people to sign contracts.
That may be true for a certain generation.

I'm enjoying my Spectrum cable service in HD.

But if I understand your implication, you are suggesting that YouTube TV or Netflix is charging more and more, so yea, what's the difference?
"A blind faith in authority is the worst enemy of truth" - Albert Einstein (1901)

The Cincinnati Symphony Orchestra is one of Cincinnati's underappreciated treasures

Zafer Kaya

• City Elder
« Reply #1531 on: April 12, 2019, 11:04:56 AM »

Well again, Netflix is a totally different thing I have tried to explain to you.  Netflix is just a content provider.  It's exactly like HBO.  You can get HBO or Netflix with or without cable or streaming.

Streaming has (or had) several theoretical advantages over cable.  The first is you don't have to pay bullshit hidden fees like installation costs, equipment rental and DVR service and local network fees.  That means if I switch providers I don't have to return my stupid cable box. 

The second is price, and that's becoming much less of an advantage now.  Streaming used to be $50 cheaper.  Now it's maybe more like $5 or $10.  TBF, we always knew streaming would increase in price because they were kind of doing the moviepass/disruptive thing.  They were losing money to try and build up a customer base.  It's just a little odd that Google raised prices since they are maybe the only company that can actually turn users into $$.  They don't need to make money on the service, they just need to hook you into Android, Youtube, googlefi, and sell your data.

The third is consumer transparency and convenience.  In addition to no hidden fees, it used to be that what they charged was what you paid, and what everyone paid.  So you didn't have to call your cable company every year and wait 45 minutes to negotiate with some cable rep to get the actual cable cost instead of the jacked up cost they charge you after your "one year introductory plan" ends.  This has been weakened to a large extent because if the streaming services are just going to jack up prices whenever they feel like it, then you're still having to deal with shopping services.  But streaming is still better because at least there are still no contracts, and you can switch providers anytime you want.

The fourth is sort of related to the others.  All of this stuff happens because there is competition.  It gives the streaming providers an incentive to offer you better content, pricing, and service.  To that end, streaming has helped cable users by lowering the price of cable.  It also forced them to offer the things that streaming could, like watching things on mobile devices.  And there's other small things.  But like for me, I hated Fios's menus and DVR.  So if Youtube.tv and Fios were the same price, I would still pick Youtube.tv just because it's much easier to browse through channels and to record the things I like.  I actually switched from Hulu Live to Youtube.tv just because I like the UI better.

So to me, streaming still has the advantage.  I think it always will, regardless of price.  If for no other reason than as wifi becomes available everywhere, it's easier to just order up your TV through the internet and have it switched on, as opposed to having to wait 8 hours for a cable guy to come and hook you up.  And, no more of those ugly cable wires running through people's yards.  I think cable itself is more or less dead technology, it's just that the cable/satellite providers might survive by adapting.  Like xfinity and DirectTV both offer streaming packages that are pretty popular. 

As for the pricing, the real problem is that too many people want too many channels.  Everyone wanted youtube.tv to have HGTV and Food Network.  Which meant that Discovery channel could charge Google a lot of money to include them.  So that jacked up Google's costs which they passed on to the consumer.  There's just not much margin in offering uber-cheap basic service to a minority of viewers.

The other kicker is live sports.  A good half of the population (mostly men) is totally addicted to live sports, myself included.  Even if we don't watch it that often we just can't imagine life without out.  So even now, I could get Philo for $16 a month if I can get rid of live sports.  But I can't make that move.

Going forward, I think that streaming services are also dying tech.  What really matters is content.  And there's nothing stopping every content provider from doing like HBO or Netflix.  Just have a website/app and sell you their programming directly.  Users will finally have the a la carte programming choices they've wanted for years. 

It may be that actual tv shows are dead as well.  I think a lot of the younger generation doesn't watch that much TV and instead spends most of their time watching jackasses on Twitch.

Kwyjibo

• Bringing Grumpy Back
  • City Elder
« Reply #1532 on: April 12, 2019, 11:28:54 AM »

Man, I just don't know anymore.  We were never able to cut the cord, Juliana is not going to live in a world with out TCM, there's no TCM streaming, so that's that.  But we do enjoy Netflix's content.  But now every service has separate content and it's getting pricey.  We have Netflix, Hulu and Amazon Prime.  We'd love to have HBO, and CBS All Access, but can't justify them.  Plus now Disney and Warner Bros. are going to be in their own space, which would be another sub.  I'm sure in the next few years a half a dozen other players will enter the market each with a separate fee.  Add that up with still having to get our internet from the cable company (pretty much the only option here, we'll most likely never see fiber), and it's not cheaper anymore.  That's all beside the fact that we'd have to find some way to get local channels (our location would require an antenna on a tower outside, or mounted on the house, we're too far from Dayton and/or Cincy to just have a Leaf in a window.  At least we don't give a damn about sports.

The critics of ala carte programming have said for years that you'd just end up spending more money once everything had its own fee and you lost the bundling effect of cable.  That seems to be coming home to roost.

That said, I still don't see how anybody that enjoys good quality programming can act like Netflix just isn't a thing.  Makes no sense to me.
Baby, check this out, I've got something to say.  Man, it's so loud in here.

Butter

• Suffering from early-onset douchiness
  • City Elder
« Reply #1533 on: April 12, 2019, 01:49:30 PM »

I have Philo and Youtube TV, because all of those Discovery channels were on Philo but NOT Youtube.  Now that's not the case anymore.  I may not even need Philo anymore because the main reasons for getting it was Food Network, HGTV and DIY.  But Philo has Comedy Central and Game Show Network which I enjoy.

Youtube TV does have TCM and DVR capability.  It also has local channels.  I know because we get Cincinnati locals despite being 10 miles from Dayton, because we could choose.  I can get Dayton locals OTA, so why get them streaming as well?

I also have Hulu for $1 a month until December, at which point I'll be ditching that.  I also have HBO which I hardly watch, so I should probably ditch that... after watching this new season of BARRY maybe I will.

Zafer Kaya

• City Elder
« Reply #1534 on: April 12, 2019, 02:54:32 PM »

The critics of ala carte programming have said for years that you'd just end up spending more money once everything had its own fee and you lost the bundling effect of cable.  That seems to be coming home to roost.

I think that's what will happen.  Because honestly everyone spends probably 90% of their time watching the same channels or programming events.  So your whole bundle has always been "'Pay through the nose for this stuff you like, and we'll throw in all this extra shit so it doesn't feel so bad."  And that's kind of what happens with the cable companies, too.  They pay a ton to be able to carry certain channels, and then the rest are cheap.  So the market is basically there for people to pay $70 to get let's say the big 15 or so channels (not including HBO and Netflix).

The only people who might save money on a la carte are people like me, because I live by myself.  I really could not give a shit about HGTV and Food Network, so if you give me the chance not to pay $10 for it I will.  I also don't care about Disney or Nickelodeon.  Even where there's a bunch of channels I like, I don't need them all because there's only so much TV I can watch.  Like I like both Netflix and HBO, but I can pretty well get by with just one of them.

But for a household, what are the odds that NO ONE cares about ESPN, Disney or HGTV?  Someone in the family is going to
want one of those.  And you have 2 or 3 or 4 times the amount of TV you can consume.

I have Philo and Youtube TV, because all of those Discovery channels were on Philo but NOT Youtube.  Now that's not the case anymore.

I think there were quite a few people in your position, which is why they did it. There were a lot of demands for the Discovery channels.  Now if you drop Philo, you save $6 a month, and it might be worth it even if you lose Comedy Central or Game Show Network.  But more likely, I see Youtube.TV probably adding those channels and increasing the price by another $5.  Why not? People like you are obviously willing to pay for it, and it's probably at least a little convenient to have everything under one app.

Dan

• Tetris Master
  • City Elder
« Reply #1535 on: April 12, 2019, 04:57:51 PM »

There's something to all of these points.
My cable package is still cheaper than the streaming packages that I would want, based on my preliminary research (I dunno - maybe it's changed since I last looked).
But the whole "everyone has their own subscription" future is definitely coming, and that's annoying as anything else.
The cable companies have been big, have invested heavily in infrastructure, and certainly are not going to go down without a fight.
The family package versus the living along package in an important point, too. Plus, say younger people in their 20s living with roommates and how they all handle their streaming/utilities. Some of my younger coworkers have 3 or 4 (or 12!!) roommates, so maybe the individual package are better? Or maybe there's a lot of password sharing?
It seems overall the more choices out there the better it is for the consumers, but at the moment it's definitely been a bit of a back-and-forth. I don't stream videos on my phone while on the subway, but I see plenty of people who do. I don't know what they are watching or what services they use, but that's definitely a thing. I can't blame them either - it probably makes the commute much more tolerable.

Ella Minnow Pea

• Numbers Guru
  • Administrator
  • City Elder
  • Reference Desk
« Reply #1536 on: April 14, 2019, 10:16:34 PM »

I wanted to add HBO for the next 6 weeks. HBO NOW is $14.99/month. HBO added on to my Basic Uverse is $16/month. Since I told the Uverse rep this, she offered it to me for $9.99/month. I used to get the 3 Months free option, and cancel. But apparently that's not an offer right now.

also known as rcc94

Kwyjibo

• Bringing Grumpy Back
  • City Elder
« Reply #1537 on: April 15, 2019, 09:36:35 AM »

I used to get the 3 Months free option, and cancel. But apparently that's not an offer right now.

Yeah, I'm guessing they had a good idea what people wanting three free months of HBO right now were up to.

Kwyjibo

• Bringing Grumpy Back
  • City Elder
« Reply #1538 on: April 15, 2019, 09:38:51 AM »

I have Philo and Youtube TV, because all of those Discovery channels were on Philo but NOT Youtube. 

And there's the other problem with this new landscape, you never know who is going to have what when.  I don't know much of anything about Youtube TV, would not have had a clue that they had TCM.  We'll need to check that out.  Also, would love to have Cincy locals, we hate the Dayton local news options, they all suck.

Zafer Kaya

• City Elder
« Reply #1539 on: April 15, 2019, 01:13:03 PM »

I don't understand why someone doesn't just build a really nice interface app.  Because at this point, that's what I'm paying for.

More and more, if I want HBO, Netflix, AMC, ESPN, etc. I can just pay for the apps.  So just build an overlay over everyone  else's content that gives me an onscreen guide, search capabilities, and DVR.  Give me a watchlist or "continue watching" or "recommendations."  Bonus points if it hooks up with Alexa or Google Home. 

If it's really good, I'd pay like $5-10 for that alone, and then just subscribe to the channels I want.  That's really all Roku or Apple TV are, anyway.  You don't need to play the content exclusivity game.  You're not a "provider."  HBO or Netflix or whoever is the provider.  All you are to me is an interface.  And I don't think HBO cares how I get to HBO, as long as I'm paying them to watch it, they are getting the data they want from me, and they are showing me whatever ads they want to show.

Butter

• Suffering from early-onset douchiness
  • City Elder
« Reply #1540 on: April 15, 2019, 02:09:49 PM »

Yeah, I pretty much don't need any kids or News options.  I don't watch either.  But I'm paying for them.  Also I have things like "Motor Trend TV" and "Tastemade", which as far as I can tell is like Food Network and HGTV combined, but for hipsters.

I feel like Philo is on the right track.  There needs to be a streaming service that has these large options like "everything but the kids channels" for X amount.  Just add-ons of certain "modules" for certain amounts.  Seems like we're getting further away from that model rather than closer.  Pretty darn close to cable at this point.

Zafer Kaya

• City Elder
« Reply #1541 on: April 15, 2019, 02:49:18 PM »

Honestly though, it wouldn't save any of us money.  Just inconvenience.

If there were an inclusive sports channel that offered me what I get from ESPN, FOX, TBS/TNT and the major networks, I'd probably pay $30 a month for it.

And if Netflix expanded their content just slightly and upped their fee to $25 a month, I'd bitch about it but I'd probably pay.

And then if someone said "Hey, for $5 a month here's a bunch of random shit you probably won't watch very much but every once in awhile it'll be cool." I'd be like yeah why not.  That's really kind of what Hulu is already.

Or to put it another way, I figure I watch between 50-70 hours of TV a month.  Would I pay $1 an hour for TV on average for what I watch?  Yeah.  I mean, I'm already doing it now.

So it really doesn't matter much to me if channels go a la carte and raise their prices or if I pay for a huge package of channels, most of which I don't watch. 

I'm willing to pay $60-$70 a month for the channels I want to watch.  You figure a household with kids might be willing to go $100.  Just charge us that much however you're going to do it and stop dorking us around with fake choices and contracts and hidden fees and introductory offers and swapping content back and forth all the time.

notoriouspbake

• Citizen
« Reply #1542 on: April 16, 2019, 07:28:08 PM »

started watching santa clarita diet. hilarious! great take on the zombie in suburbia. witty writing, clever dialogue, enough gore when needed. drew barrymore and tim Oliphant make the show as a loving couple dealing with the undead. throw in a teen daughter and the friend next door, and let hijinks ensue. highly recommended.

Zafer Kaya

• City Elder
« Reply #1543 on: April 25, 2019, 12:59:42 PM »

Santa Clarita diet is a lot of fun.  It's kind of sit-commy predictable but everyone throws themselves into their roles with such gusto you can't help but laugh. 

It's not binge-watch material, in a good way.  I like saving episodes for later watching.  Good for watching one or two eps. while folding laundry or do a little light cleaning or something and then walk away.

I have Drew Barrymore issues, though.  I still can't see her without flashing back to Firestarter Barrymore.  Or sassy indie 90's style icon Barrymore, which is even worse.  It's not that she's unattractive for her age, or for any age but I still can't look at her without thinking "What happened?"  And then I realize that Drew Barrymore is both younger than me and perfectly age-appropriate for that role.  I'm the one that got old.

foolsgold

• City Elder
  • To the East...Blackward
    • Teabaggin'
« Reply #1544 on: April 26, 2019, 08:15:55 AM »

I've also been avoiding binging a show because I want it to last as long as I can.  In this case, it's Fleabag which, in spite of an enjoyable, but almost unrepresentative first 3 episodes, is one of the most affecting shows I've seen in a while.  The finale of the first season left me emotionally drained to the point where I had to sit quietly afterwards just so I could catch my breath.  It's not often that a show can make me feel what the protagonist is experiencing, but Fleabag absolutely nailed it for me.  I just finished season 2 and the quality, humor, and humanity build upon itself to a very satisfying ending.

Santa Clarita is an enjoyably light show and you're right about how enjoyable it is to watch them get into their roles.  As much as I like Timothy Olyphant, I was beginning to wonder if he'd ever step out of that wise cracking, ass kicking cowboy sheriff role he perfected in Deadwood and Justified.  It was fun watching him be silly and. at times, hapless.  The neighbor boy steals every scene he is in and I can especially can count on him to make me laugh.
Why there's all these ugly mans on my TV screen?  I wrap my head with foil so I don't catch them beams.
Pages: 1 ... 101 102 [103] 104 105   Go Up