Randomville

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
GigaBook.com
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: Favorite book quotes  (Read 4188 times)

Jen

• City Elder
    • My blog
Re: Favorite book quotes
« Reply #15 on: August 29, 2013, 12:51:47 PM »

I am going to break the "rules" of this thread; I am going to quote a passage.  :o

I couldn't pick one or sentences out of this if I tried, it all goes together to create pure poetry. From Something Wicked This Way Comes-Ray Bradbury.

What could he say that might make sense to them? Could he say love was, above all, common cause, shared experience? That was the vital cement, wasn't it? Could he say how he felt about their all being here tonight on this wild world running around a big sun which fell through a bigger space falling through yet vaster immensities of space, maybe toward and maybe away from Something? Could he say: we share this billion-mile-an-hour ride. We have common cause against the night. You start with little common causes. Why love the boy in a March field with his kite braving the sky? Because our fingers burn with the hot string singeing our hands. Why love some girl viewed from a train, bent to a country well? The tongue remembers iron water cool on some long lost noon. Why weep at strangers dead by the road? They resemble friends unseen in forty years. Why laugh when clowns are hit by pies? We taste custard, we taste life. Why love the woman who is your wife? Her nose breathes in the air of a world that I know; therefore I love that nose. Her ears hear music I might sing half the night through; therefore I love her ears. Her eyes delight in seasons of the land; and so I love those eyes. Her tongue knows quince, peach, chokeberry, mint and lime; I love to hear it speaking. Because her flesh knows heat, cold, affliction, I know fire, snow, and pain. Shared and once again shared experience. Billions of prickling textures. Cut one sense away, cut part of life away. Cut two senses; life halves itself on the instant. We love what we know, we love what we are. Common cause, common cause, common cause of mouth, eye, ear, tongue, hand, nose, flesh, heart, and soul.
Every man's work, whether it be literature or music or pictures or architecture or anything else, is always a portrait of himself.
—Samuel Butler

c-lando

• Bacon Research & Sparkle Development/Cr0ndog Millionaire
  • City Elder
« Reply #16 on: August 29, 2013, 01:13:37 PM »

I am going to break the "rules" of this thread; I am going to quote a passage.  :o
Rules?
Where we're reading, we don't need "RULES".
Once the bacon's done, all pants are off.  
PANTS PANTS REVOLUTION!!!

foolsgold

• City Elder
  • To the East...Blackward
    • Teabaggin'
« Reply #17 on: August 29, 2013, 01:18:27 PM »

What the heck.  Written by Paul Auster from Here and Now:

One of the reasons why I remain so attached to baseball after all these years is the very thing you write about in your letter: the frequency of losing, the inevitability of failure.  A look at the standings in this morning's paper shows that the team with the best record this season has 58 wins and 34 losses- which computes to a 63% success rate, meaning that the strongest team out of thirty has gone home frustrated 37% of the time.

Baseball seasons are very long - 162 games- and each team goes through its ups and downs over the course of that six month stretch: slumps and streaks, injuries, painful losses that turn on a single crucial play, unexpected last second victories.  Unlike boxing-which is always do or die- baseball is do and die, and even when you do die, you must crawl out of your coffin the next day and give it your best shot again.  It is for this reason that steadiness of temper is so highly valued in baseball.  Shrug off defeats, take victories in stride, without undue exaltation.  The common wisdom is that baseball mirrors life- in that it teaches you to take the good with the bad.  Most other sports tend to mirror war.
Why there's all these ugly mans on my TV screen?  I wrap my head with foil so I don't catch them beams.

Jen

• City Elder
    • My blog
« Reply #18 on: August 29, 2013, 01:47:14 PM »

Rules?
Where we're reading, we don't need "RULES".

Don't ruin it for me...I was trying to be a badass.  ;D

Every man's work, whether it be literature or music or pictures or architecture or anything else, is always a portrait of himself.
—Samuel Butler

Zafer Kaya

• City Elder
« Reply #19 on: August 29, 2013, 02:01:56 PM »

Here's another Sam Lypsite quote, this is from The Fun Parts:

Ondine, an old beauty with hair the color of metallic marmalade, was historically attuned to her daughter’s fecklessness. She took pity, rented me a unit in a shingle-stripped Victorian she owned in Ypsilanti, let me slide on the rent until I found a job. I never did, but she seemed satisfied to visit a few times a week for my attentions. She called my style of lovemaking “poignant.”

daytime drinking

• City Elder
« Reply #20 on: September 10, 2013, 08:28:48 PM »

i do like that one zafer.  i might have to check out this sam.  my favorite quote is from a short story by oscar wilde entitled the remarkable rocket.  "i am so clever that sometimes i don't understand a single word of what i'm saying." 

and this from faulkner, the sound and the fury.  "his mother came down in a hired auto, in a fur suit like an arctic explorer's, and saw him off in a twenty-five mile wind and a steady drove of ice floes like dirty sheep.  ever since then i have believed that god is not only a gentleman and a sport; he is a kentukian too." 
poach eggs, not elephants

Zafer Kaya

• City Elder
« Reply #21 on: September 19, 2013, 11:30:58 AM »

"I understand that we're obligated, as humans, to share what we see and know. And that all knowledge must be democratically accessible."

"It's the natural state of information to be free."

"Right."

"We all have a right to know everything we can. We all collectively own the accumulated knowledge of the world."

"Right," Mae said. "So what happens if I deprive anyone or everyone of something I know? Aren't I stealing from my fellow humans?"

"Indeed," Bailey said, nodding earnestly....

"Privacy is theft.'"

daytime drinking

• City Elder
« Reply #22 on: January 10, 2014, 10:48:11 AM »

"not even the occult power of the moonlight could rob him of his reality in my eyes."  i've been reading lord jim by joseph conrad for quite some time now and it's phrases like this that make me pause, think, and reread. 
poach eggs, not elephants

foolsgold

• City Elder
  • To the East...Blackward
    • Teabaggin'
« Reply #23 on: May 30, 2014, 09:17:31 AM »

"How embarrassing, not only having to submit to bodily functions out in the open, but to have the woman she'd just shared the hottest ever make-out session witness it."

from the Lambda award winning book Dying to Live by Kim Baldwin and Xenia Alexiou

Why there's all these ugly mans on my TV screen?  I wrap my head with foil so I don't catch them beams.

c-lando

• City Elder
« Reply #24 on: March 25, 2016, 10:22:44 AM »

"The rooster was hoarse in his old age, his crow no more than a whisper.
But at least that motherfucker tried."

from "Always Outnumbered, Always Outgunned" by Walter Mosley

c-lando

• City Elder
« Reply #25 on: May 30, 2017, 04:02:48 PM »

The imagery of this passage clings to me...

"On the flying bridge the smells are even stronger, trying to draw me out of myself. Salt and mint and fish and wind, mingled with diesel. My arms and legs relax, as if they are made of moss. I used to pretend my parents found me in the rain forest, a magical creature born of spongy muskeg and old man's beard. It seems almost possible now as I spin around a couple times, trying to get my sea legs, feeling the rhythm of the boat making its own dance."

- "The Smell of Other People's Houses" - Bonnie-Sue Hitchcock
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up