Randomville

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
GigaBook.com
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Down

Author Topic: What are your favorite Podcasts?  (Read 2576 times)

Dan

• Tetris Master
  • City Elder
Re: What are your favorite Podcasts?
« Reply #30 on: April 20, 2017, 11:40:36 AM »

I'm (still[!]) listening to Bill Simmons as my number one podcast.
S-Town was holy-cow-fantastic but alas it's 7 episodes are over (for me) so I'm not listening to it at the moment.
Radiolab is a definite whenever they have a new one.
Still hoping for a smashing Serial Season 3.
I've started listening to Freakonomics Radio podcast a little but not consistently.
I really liked the Malcolm Gladwell podcast from last summer, Revisionist History.
Others that I listen to, but a lot less, include Men In Blazers and some of The Ringer's various podcasts.

Butter

• Suffering from early-onset douchiness
  • City Elder
  • No, THIS is 41.
« Reply #31 on: April 20, 2017, 11:53:42 AM »

Butter, you'll probably like Accused, which was done by the Cincinnati Enquirer.  It's in the same vein as Serial, though not as well produced.  My friend Andrew (Readymaid keyboardist) did the music.

I happened upon that when cruising for something to listen to after S-Town.  It is going in my back pocket for later.

Dan

• Tetris Master
  • City Elder
« Reply #32 on: April 20, 2017, 03:19:36 PM »

Butter, you have similar tastes in podcasts as my wife, and she listens to one called "My Favorite Murder" so you might want to check it out. She says she gets annoyed from time to time but generally likes it.

Butter

• City Elder
  • No, THIS is 41.
« Reply #33 on: April 20, 2017, 03:42:26 PM »

Tried to listen to a couple of "crime" podcasts that take a funny tack... but found that they were often taking it a bit further than I was comfortable with.  Listened to a LAST PODCAST ON THE LEFT on the Toybox Killer, for example... and they almost sounded in awe of the guy and some of the jokes just went way too far.  Even though it was funny at times.

But I will give it a shot.

MissKitty

• Hooray Beer!
  • City Elder
« Reply #34 on: April 20, 2017, 09:24:37 PM »

I like Lore as well. And of course Accused!

If you like listening to musicians/songwriters discuss their craft, Sodajerker is the best of the lot, I think. Of course it depends on the guest (much as I love Mike Viola, I really got tired of the 'ya knows' every other word) but the two Liverpudlians who do the interviews really have a nice way of getting the best from their guests. The Andy Partridge interview is a gem.
Duct tape can't fix stupid.

Dizzy

• Summer Resident
« Reply #35 on: April 21, 2017, 02:54:58 AM »

Oh, another good one for music is Song Exploder.

Kwyjibo

• Bringing Grumpy Back
  • City Elder
« Reply #36 on: April 24, 2017, 10:11:02 AM »

Oh, another good one for music is Song Exploder.

I just started listening to this one too.  This one is good for me because I don't have to listen to every episode.  Most are songs I'm not interested in, so I can pick and choose like I do Nerdist.
« Last Edit: April 24, 2017, 10:12:51 AM by Kwyjibo »
Baby, check this out, I've got something to say.  Man, it's so loud in here.

c-lando

• Bacon Research & Sparkle Development/Cr0ndog Millionaire
  • City Elder
« Reply #37 on: April 24, 2017, 02:24:51 PM »

I just started listening to NANCY (from WNYC) and I love it.
Once the bacon's done, all pants are off.  
PANTS PANTS REVOLUTION!!!

Butter

• City Elder
  • No, THIS is 41.
« Reply #38 on: May 17, 2017, 11:15:18 AM »

Butter, you'll probably like Accused, which was done by the Cincinnati Enquirer.  It's in the same vein as Serial, though not as well produced.  My friend Andrew (Readymaid keyboardist) did the music.

This was really good.  Thanks for the recommendation.

Even though they really didn't find out shit, other than the Butler County prosecutor is a douche.

Dan

• Tetris Master
  • City Elder
« Reply #39 on: May 17, 2017, 01:04:11 PM »

Butter - did you offer a review of S-town? I'm curious about your thoughts. (Maybe spoiler it? I dunno...it's been a while now, right?)

Butter

• City Elder
  • No, THIS is 41.
« Reply #40 on: May 17, 2017, 01:26:52 PM »

S-town was good, but not 1st season of Serial good.  The host tries a little too hard to make it into a William Faulkner story, and there is a controversial reveal in the penultimate episode that I didn't have a problem with... but a lot of people did. 

As I did mention earlier, how much you like it depends on how much you can tolerate the main subject, John B. McLemore.  He gets a little taxing by mid-episode 2, and then he commits suicide.  After that happens, the show hits a bunch of different themes, like what makes a family, small-town politics, Southern attitudes, and a bunch more... all while attempting to continue to tell a cohesive story.  The problem is, the threads of the story spin a little bit out of control, and the reporter falls into the trap of not really knowing who to trust or which threads to follow to their conclusion... so there almost is no conclusion.  That's what can make these open-ended podcasts frustrating... you can't just keep reporting indefinitely.  At some point, you've gotta try to put it together and get it out there.

But the host does his best to bring it to a resolution, and I think mostly succeeds.  I found it well worth my time, and I sincerely doubt there will ever be another podcast quite like it... the combination of characters, setting, and theme like that just doesn't come along every day.

Kwyjibo

• Bringing Grumpy Back
  • City Elder
« Reply #41 on: May 17, 2017, 03:09:03 PM »

Concur with Butter's thoughts on it.  It is frustrating that there really wasn't a satisfying conclusion, but then, there really wasn't a satisfying conclusion for Serial either.  But it's an interesting story with interesting characters and, all in all, a gripping story.

What is the controversial reveal you mentioned Butter?  I've heard it, I'm just not sure what you're referring to.

Agreed on Accused also, BTW.  Same as Serial, no real insight is gained, but it's an interesting story, nonetheless.

Butter

• City Elder
  • No, THIS is 41.
« Reply #42 on: May 17, 2017, 03:18:02 PM »

What is the controversial reveal you mentioned Butter?  I've heard it, I'm just not sure what you're referring to.

Well.

Host delves into John B's sexuality and then specifically into a couple of relationships, even though McLemore did not consent to them being discussed on air... and the host essentially admits that he's going to talk about these things anyway even though McLemore disapproved because he's dead now and he wouldn't care since he's dead.  That's some marginal reasoning.  I was fine with it, but there were a lot of people who jumped on the host as a result.

Kwyjibo

• Bringing Grumpy Back
  • City Elder
« Reply #43 on: May 17, 2017, 04:27:53 PM »

Huh, I didn't think that much about it.  I guess it is sorta shitty, I don't know what the protocol is with outing dead people.
« Last Edit: May 17, 2017, 04:31:30 PM by Kwyjibo »

Dan

• Tetris Master
  • City Elder
« Reply #44 on: May 18, 2017, 12:52:30 PM »

Cool - thanks for your thoughts.

I didn't realize the controversial point that you mentioned above, but now that you outlined it I guess I can see some people saying it and they have a point. Like Kwyj, I don't know the protocol either.

As for not wrapping up, I thought it wrapped up very nicely with the mercury poisoning angle. I can't stop thinking about how that (likely) affected him and how it finally makes him start to make sense. If anything the biggest complaint from me would be that it was too simple of an angle for such a complicated person.

But yeah, you can't really wrap up a story about a town or place. They are still there, still going, and they didn't disappear once the series ended. So it's tough. I liked the ending, though.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Up