Randomville

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
GigaBook.com
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: R.I.P. Kobe Bryant  (Read 479 times)

Chris

• Citizen

twentyshots

• City Elder
Re: R.I.P. Kobe Bryant
« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2020, 11:41:24 PM »

sad.
it's easy to root for the giant, but watching he and shaq get their rings, that was something. or squaring off against jordan or lebron....always worth watching.

he also fucked up a couple of times and seemed to learn from it.

one of those guys that inspired hundreds of thousands of kids.
bongo hard or bongo home

Dan

• Tetris Master
  • City Elder
« Reply #2 on: January 28, 2020, 09:35:52 AM »

"Sports hate" is a weird thing. I despised watching him play, but I suspect that was mostly out of jealousy because he wasn't on my team. He was beloved by so many players, NBA people, reporters, and obviously fans and that fact alone always informed me how my dislike of him was wrong. And now I regret all of that.  RIP Kobe and obviously heartfelt condolences to his family and friends.

Zafer Kaya

• City Elder
« Reply #3 on: January 28, 2020, 11:33:23 AM »

On the court, his game was so pure.  Probably the most aesthetically pleasing player there's ever been to watch.  Like I think if I were coaching kids basketball, I'd tell the kids to watch Koby just like if I were coaching tennis, I'd tell kids to watch Sharapova (but not the serve).  They're such smart players with good fundamentals.

I've never really faulted Bryant that much for his occasional melt-downs, ego-centrism and ball-hogginess.  He was a guy who worked insanely hard on his game, and then when other people didn't and weren't good, he had no patience for that.  I mean, he probably could have learned to handle those situations better but to me, it's an understandable character flaw.  Also, I kind of blame Jordan because people followed his model and thought that ruthless assholery was how you win.  If you watch Bryant play on the Olympic teams, it's a whole different story.  He had no problems passing and supporting his teammates.

He did however, likely rape someone and even if he didn't, his behavior towards the woman during and after was reprehensible.  It's not wrong to mention that.  We will never know the truth and he was acquitted so I think we kinda have to let it slide.  I don't think there's any reason to bring it all up again and condemn the guy, but I'm also uncomfortable with him being celebrated as such a great dude.  I think you either keep it in a basketball context, or if you want to make him a hero, you have to deal with the rape thing and then maybe we shouldn't be so quick to celebrate him.

Paco

• Tourist
« Reply #4 on: January 28, 2020, 04:24:34 PM »

R.I.P. Incredibly Rich Guy who died in an Incredibly Rich manner.

twentyshots

• City Elder
« Reply #5 on: February 01, 2020, 10:57:22 AM »

we can't all die in exploding ford pintos
bongo hard or bongo home
Pages: [1]   Go Up