Randomville

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
GigaBook.com
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 ... 126 127 [128] 129 130 ... 137   Go Down

Author Topic: Random Sports Musings  (Read 156561 times)

daytime drinking

• City Elder
Re: Random Sports Musings
« Reply #1905 on: September 22, 2018, 12:46:26 AM »

it's like when carson was here and we had kitna.  he could get hurt in a meaningless season and you got someone serviceable to build team confidence while you learn on the job.  i'm always a little scared that cleveland is gonna get it right.  football will never be the same 
poach eggs, not elephants

daytime drinking

• City Elder
« Reply #1906 on: September 23, 2018, 09:26:56 PM »

maybe mccaffrey is just really good

euro60

• City Elder
« Reply #1907 on: October 07, 2018, 10:39:48 PM »

How about them Bengals! Holy cow! I pretty much gave them up for dead after the 3rd Q. But somehow they made it back.

Next week's game at home vs.Pittsburgh looms HUGE
"A blind faith in authority is the worst enemy of truth" - Albert Einstein (1901)

The Cincinnati Symphony Orchestra is one of Cincinnati's underappreciated treasures

daytime drinking

• City Elder
« Reply #1908 on: October 19, 2018, 02:25:12 PM »

any hoops fans getting over that unforgettable march?  at least x didn't have their best team in twenty years.  x probably won't miss a beat with steele.  don't know much about him but heard the reputation is strong with that one.  x has got to have the strongest pipeline to upper echelon gigs.  that's how you get good assistants.  he'll be coaching in the acc in a few years.  i sorta think that implies that cincinnati is a destination school.   i don't believe we've ever had a coach plucked.  honestly though, i'd probably be a happier hoops fan if i was an x fan. since we're in the aac, mick's the best we can do.  i'd totally welcome a change, but i don't know if schools in our position can afford to lose a step. 

cincinnati was able to poach a quality 2019 recruit from x.  so that's cool.  though they just went out and found someone probably equally as good.  i've been totally jelly over x's recruiting over the years.  kinda strange we don't recruit the same player rarely if ever.  with that said, fuck xavier

here's my bold prediction for the coming years.  mike brey will succeed coach k.  the pool of immediate candidates isn't all that sexy.  mike brey's 59 and probably my favorite coach of all time outside of bob huggins and tom crean.  i think it would take a brad stevens like dude to take over for a blue blood.  member when north carolina hired bill guthridge and then matt doherty?  it was pretty obvious roy should have gone there immediately.  gregg marshall is going to unc.  dan hurley will go to 'cuse

you're only a mike davis away from relinquishing your deserved glory

so the reds are down to davey bell, bradley ausmus, and giuseppe girardi.  honestly i'd be fine with any of them.  catchers.  i'm sure all of the bells caught at some point

bengals beat the chiefs in arrowhead.  that's a stadium i've always wanted to visit.  that and solider 

daytime drinking

• City Elder
« Reply #1909 on: October 30, 2018, 10:27:25 PM »

is vince carter a first ballot hall of famer?  i can't believe he's still playing and starting

euro60

• City Elder
« Reply #1910 on: October 30, 2018, 10:41:42 PM »

College basketball starting up... and I'm not into it. I have been a Xavier fan for many years. Can't find myself getting into it. Let me admit I was hugely surprised by Chris Mack's departure for Louisville. Why?? Mack is a Cincinnati guy all the way (St.X grad), and had done great things at X. He could've been there the rest of his career. Is it the money? He earned very well at X. How much more money does one need? Is it the conference? The Big East isn't shabby. I just don't get it.
"A blind faith in authority is the worst enemy of truth" - Albert Einstein (1901)

The Cincinnati Symphony Orchestra is one of Cincinnati's underappreciated treasures

foolsgold

• City Elder
  • To the East...Blackward
    • Teabaggin'
« Reply #1911 on: October 31, 2018, 10:18:06 AM »

Short of Xavier winning a couple national titles, it'll always be a stepping stone school for coaches.  They can't match the salaries, resources or prestige (real or otherwise) of bigger schools.  Without those titles, Xavier is always going to be seen as a scrappy team who routinely punches above their weight.  Because of that, it's going to remain a proving ground for ambitious coaches.  Sure Mack was homegrown and if there ever was a guy who would stick around for years, it was him.  But, money and recognition speaks louder.
Why there's all these ugly mans on my TV screen?  I wrap my head with foil so I don't catch them beams.

daytime drinking

• City Elder
« Reply #1912 on: October 31, 2018, 02:54:17 PM »

which makes cincinnati a destination school.  granted, i'd take chris mack over cronin any day.  hell i'd probably take chris rock

daytime drinking

• City Elder
« Reply #1913 on: December 07, 2018, 01:17:48 PM »

it's well nigh tip off euro ole sport.  what say?  how you liking steele?  both teams still need to find an identity.  i don't know much about x this year.  i know they got like three grad transfers.  that funky white boy looks like a player.  i think uc's three "stars" will show up and lead the team to a close w.  jarron cumberland, keith williams, and tre scott

these games seem to be high scoring affairs.  both teams in the seventies

of course the pessimist in me of all things mick cronin doesn't exactly give me all that much hope

euro60

• City Elder
« Reply #1914 on: December 08, 2018, 12:21:28 PM »

I don't see X winning today at UC. X is way too inconsistent. They have struggled mightily to win against "lower tier" teams that in years past they'd blow out by 30 points. UC's road victory at UNLV tells me that they are quite good, and no way they will lose at home against X.
« Last Edit: December 08, 2018, 12:23:44 PM by euro60 »

daytime drinking

• City Elder
« Reply #1915 on: December 09, 2018, 09:04:15 AM »

well i was half right.  my big three performed as i suspected

daytime drinking

• City Elder
« Reply #1916 on: December 09, 2018, 10:40:12 AM »

x's defense is balls.  keith will could dunk whenever he wanted it seems.  well i'm sure next year is the biannual payback.  x has another stacked recruiting class.  and the one player we've signed is an x cast off former pledge.  not being in the big east blows

euro60

• City Elder
« Reply #1917 on: December 09, 2018, 11:56:29 AM »

I didn't watch the game, but eventually saw the final score, and thought "this sounds about right", as in: this is what I expected to happen. Gonna be a long winter for X.

euro60

• City Elder
« Reply #1918 on: December 09, 2018, 08:12:44 PM »

The Browns have now officially overtaken the Bengals in the NFC North standings, who are now dead last. Great job, Bengals! Let's reward Marvin Lewis with a 20 year head coach contract extension! He really, really deserves it!

At least I didn't waste my time watching the game...

Dan

• Tetris Master
  • City Elder
« Reply #1919 on: December 31, 2018, 12:04:23 PM »

You Bengals fans have to be happy that Marvin Lewis is gone.
Hilariously, he endorsed Hue Jackson on his way out. If that goes forward, you'll be missing Marvin in no time!
Pages: 1 ... 126 127 [128] 129 130 ... 137   Go Up